Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:There could be arguement that the January tracks should be on Dics 1 with February on Disc 2..

Basing on album order is an artificial constraint which is fine for a Classic FTD, but for a historical release. IMHO.

Do you know anything about the SONY Legacy series?


Do you have the wit to expain what you think the Legacy series is?

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:06 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:If it's like the Byrds one, it'll be an open out digi pack with a transparant plastic slip cover and a fantabulous booklet! Wouldn't surprise me if there's a hidden track on there too, like This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You. We shall see. I have a feeling that this is a strong possibility.

Of course I'll still buy the FTD to sit alongside the other classic albums.

But I'll probably play this one more! And if ever there WAS a CD you could safely put on at work and not get any criticism, this is the one!


Thanks SLGM.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:43 am

Elvis Australia wrote:[
Hopefully they can put some marketing behind this as Elvis great album and get some new fans.

Yeah! like that will happen :? I hope to god i'm proved wrong but i have doubts.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:21 am

I don't expect a big marketing campaign. Sony will gladly settle for whatever free publicity buzz is generated by the media over the release of these historic 40 yr old sessions.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:39 am

Gary1 wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:[
Hopefully they can put some marketing behind this as Elvis great album and get some new fans.

Yeah! like that will happen :? I hope to god i'm proved wrong but i have doubts.

You are correct -- it won't happen. Reissue product is aimed at hardcore, devoted and faithful fans -- marketing is not required.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:57 am

midnightx wrote:
Gary1 wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:[
Hopefully they can put some marketing behind this as Elvis great album and get some new fans.

Yeah! like that will happen :? I hope to god i'm proved wrong but i have doubts.

You are correct -- it won't happen. Reissue product is aimed at hardcore, devoted and faithful fans -- marketing is not required.


Well said!

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:38 pm

ill pick this one up in a bargin bucket some day for £2.99

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:Doc, Sony , I guess they have got this from the internet. It could be that it is only for the retail PDF flyer, as they usually would only use their 'stock' images, but I will bring this to their attention. What do you mean by 'fake' ?

It's is apparently not a real candid -- it was probably created using Adobe Photoshop or similar software.

Image

Faked photo of Bobby Dick and a June 1968 Elvis

Note the "Funny Girl" billboard reflected in the window.

As the Streisand film did not see its world premiere in New York until mid-September, and it's clearly Elvis from June, it's quite unlikely billboards advertising "Funny Girl" would be up three months prior.

He has another on his web site, but the billboard reflection has disappeared!


First of all, I would dispute the idea that it's unlikely a movie studio would start hyping what they felt was a major release three months ahead of time, that's actually very par-of-the-course, but the idea that the billboard isn't in the other photograph is just plain wrong. For anyone who cares to look, the billboard is still reflected in the window, but the second photograph is taken at a different angle, and thus reflects a different Part of the billboard- just as would naturally be the case. We can tell it is the same billboard because we can still see the bottom of the words "Is An" in the upper corner of the photo.
What's more is that we can see a reflection at the bottom of the billboard of the word "Theatre", this spelling would tend to suggest that this was actually an ad for a stage production of the musical rather than the Streisand movie.



drjohncarpenter wrote:In neither is the guy actually looking at Elvis, or standing next to him.

In both Elvis is sharply-focused and colorful, while Dick is not.


The first statement is true, but seems in keeping with a shameless self promoter who wants to appear to be hob-nobbing with the stars rather than simply look like a fan.

The second statement is not exactly true. Elvis and Dick are in slightly soft focus, but the photographer inadvertently adjusted the focal length to focus on the plants behind them!.

After examining both photos as thoroughly as possible, I can's see a scintilla of visual evidence that these are faked photographs. What I can see of the grain seems to be consistent between the two figures and the background, the lighting is consistent (all the way down to the reflected fill light from the white sign behind Elvis on Elvis's cheek in the second photo). Don't know what made you think these were fake photographs, doc, but from what I can see here these look like two genuine photographs of our boy from June 1968.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:04 am

If they are fake, they're bloody good fakes. They look damn real to me.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:50 am

I seem to remember that movie studios often used billboards to announce movies still in production.

Peter Jackson in Wellington does this. One up now is for Avatar. Due for release at Christmas.

So Funny Girl might in that situation.

Anyway wouldn't you Photoshop the billboard out while you working on the fake?

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:Doc, Sony , I guess they have got this from the internet. It could be that it is only for the retail PDF flyer, as they usually would only use their 'stock' images, but I will bring this to their attention. What do you mean by 'fake' ?

It's is apparently not a real candid -- it was probably created using Adobe Photoshop or similar software.

Image

Faked photo of Bobby Dick and a June 1968 Elvis

Note the "Funny Girl" billboard reflected in the window.

As the Streisand film did not see its world premiere in New York until mid-September, and it's clearly Elvis from June, it's quite unlikely billboards advertising "Funny Girl" would be up three months prior.

He has another on his web site, but the billboard reflection has disappeared!


First of all, I would dispute the idea that it's unlikely a movie studio would start hyping what they felt was a major release three months ahead of time, that's actually very par-of-the-course, but the idea that the billboard isn't in the other photograph is just plain wrong. For anyone who cares to look, the billboard is still reflected in the window, but the second photograph is taken at a different angle, and thus reflects a different Part of the billboard- just as would naturally be the case. We can tell it is the same billboard because we can still see the bottom of the words "Is An" in the upper corner of the photo.
What's more is that we can see a reflection at the bottom of the billboard of the word "Theatre", this spelling would tend to suggest that this was actually an ad for a stage production of the musical rather than the Streisand movie.



drjohncarpenter wrote:In neither is the guy actually looking at Elvis, or standing next to him.

In both Elvis is sharply-focused and colorful, while Dick is not.


The first statement is true, but seems in keeping with a shameless self promoter who wants to appear to be hob-nobbing with the stars rather than simply look like a fan.

The second statement is not exactly true. Elvis and Dick are in slightly soft focus, but the photographer inadvertently adjusted the focal length to focus on the plants behind them!.

After examining both photos as thoroughly as possible, I can's see a scintilla of visual evidence that these are faked photographs. What I can see of the grain seems to be consistent between the two figures and the background, the lighting is consistent (all the way down to the reflected fill light from the white sign behind Elvis on Elvis's cheek in the second photo). Don't know what made you think these were fake photographs, doc, but from what I can see here these look like two genuine photographs of our boy from June 1968.


Very good post.

The first image still doesn't quite sit right with me. The second image makes the authenticity of the first more compelling, however.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:23 am

Thanks, Cryo.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:If they are fake, they're bloody good fakes. They look damn real to me.


Yeah, if these are fakes (which I am convinced they are not) they are masterful (which would rule out Sean Shaver!)

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:58 am

wish that bmg would put this on vinyl too in 180 gram.
vinyl is back bring out more vinyl ftd/bmg.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:15 am

ritchie valens wrote:wish that bmg would put this on vinyl too in 180 gram.
vinyl is back bring out more vinyl ftd/bmg.

BMG no longer exists - this move would have to be done by Sony.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 am

There's something charmless about Sony. Sort of like driving a never-to-break down, safe..and boring Honda or Toyota. But I digress. I guess corporate consolidation is a given. I think they still throw around the "RCA" moniker for some mainstream releases. Whenever they do, I then keep using "RCA" - no matter how much Sony is the man behind the curtain..!

Naturally, I'm looking forward to this set. Sure, it's more of the same but just seeing this out again will be a treat, plus any remastering and nice presentation.

I'd like to at least see the right publications reviewing it and thinking about this as one of his best albums. This is something Ernst should try to ensure, even if there's no real "budget" for the set otherwise, which is understandable in 2009's economy and dismantled industry model. But some effort should be made.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:07 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:There's something charmless about Sony. Sort of like driving a never-to-break down, safe..and boring Honda or Toyota.

Really? Legacy has done mostly terrific work on reissues for the past decade. Perhaps you missed most of that product?

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:16 am

midnightx wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:There's something charmless about Sony. Sort of like driving a never-to-break down, safe..and boring Honda or Toyota.

Really? Legacy has done mostly terrific work on reissues for the past decade. Perhaps you missed most of that product?


Their presentation on Christmas Duets was hardly earth shattering.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:There's something charmless about Sony.


Do you remember why George Michael tried to sever his ties with the label ?

They had a clause in the contract that allowed them to refuse to release an album of his if they didn't think it would sell enough !

Food for thought when it comes to Elvis stuff........................

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:32 pm

We all know how much we love and appreciate the Memphis recordings. But, isn't strange that the original album still stand with a Gold award only after all these years, according to RIAA.
Here we have the strangest compilations of movie soundtracks piling up more sales than the holy grail itself!
How come?

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:39 pm

bajo wrote:We all know how much we love and appreciate the Memphis recordings. But, isn't strange that the original album still stand with a Gold award only after all these years, according to RIAA.
Here we have the strangest compilations of movie soundtracks piling up more sales than the holy grail itself!
How come?


The general public have no taste, no finesse, no appreciation of what's really good.....................

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Crossed my mind too Colin!They're too busy buying #1 hits and other boring stuff like Duets and gospel albums and Camden compilations and...8)

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 pm

ColinB wrote:[
They had a clause in the contract that allowed them to refuse to release an album of his if they didn't think it would sell enough !

Not unique to Sony - most labels have embraced that practice for decades. Labels are typically very shady and unfriendly to artists.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:22 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:There's something charmless about Sony. Sort of like driving a never-to-break down, safe..and boring Honda or Toyota.

Really? Legacy has done mostly terrific work on reissues for the past decade. Perhaps you missed most of that product?


Their presentation on Christmas Duets was hardly earth shattering.

You were a sucker for buying that travesty in the first place. When I think of Legacy, I think of the incredible work they have done with Miles Davis, The Byrds, Jeff Buckley, Janis Joplin, etc -- not a 2008 duets Elvis project that reeked of management by the old guard at BMG.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:04 pm

The general public have no taste, no finesse, no appreciation of what's really good.....................

Crossed my mind too Colin!They're too busy buying #1 hits and other boring stuff like Duets

Labels are typically very shady and unfriendly to artists.

not a 2008 duets Elvis project that reeked of management by the old guard at BMG.


Thank you for your excellent statements.

Hopefully it will provide some direction for those who are attempting to make informed decisions with regard to their purchases.

The economic climate is devastating to many.

More respect from the hucksters (including Sony) is required.

Hopefully, the powers that be will start showing some respect to the consumer, or have to close their doors as a consequence of their lack of consideration.

Too many Presley consumers have had to live through the endless repackages, compilations, garbage, trash, etc. etc. that began in 1956, and continues to this day.

Just what we need, more gospel and Christmas compilations. It's preposterous.

Let's hope the corporate fat cats get their underhanded and greedy acts together and release some Presley product that is somewhat worthy of the consumer's dollar.

As a side note, Thankfully Ernst has provided us with some fantastic releases!

I wish he was running the whole show.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:10 am

Midnight, regarding SONY, I only meant the way in which they've swallowed so many labels, such that now Elvis, the Beatles, and Frank Sinatra are on the same label. I guess I've officially lived too long ( :lol: ) but this corporate conglomeration is just not very distinctive or something I feel loyal too.

That said, their electronics division is well known for quailty and I've bought their products over the years. I worked at a warehouse years ago that stored recording contracts for Columbia Records (and lots of other stuff, including vinyl) and at the time, there was a bit of a weird feeling about Japan buying up once proud American labels, redubbing them "SONY- Columbia" or what have you. But such is globalization since then.

And you're right: Legacy is a nice imprint and I wasn't putting that down at all.

I didn't have a huge problem with the Christmas Duets set. As a one-off, I can live with it ( the damage was little in terms of public fallout and some of it was fun in spots) .. But if there was more, it could be a mess. Sadly, I don't think the public cares one way or the other and if someone hears Elvis with someone else, if anything it's about the only attention he'd ever get today from the quick-to-forget audience of our era.

We've covered RCA/BMG and now SONY's approach to Elvis quite often. Occasionally they do get it right though and Ernst influence has been mostly a great counterpoint to it, although he clearly didn't or couldn't veto the endless yule, gospel and hit compilations as albums fell out of print. FTD is not a bad consolation prize! And I don't even fault the new gospel set. Repackaging is a fact of life, I guess.