Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:50 am

Sony have now provided us with the tracklisting for the 'From Elvis In Memphis' Legacy double CD release. To commemorate the 40th Anniversary of Elvis' historic American Studio session that resulted in 'Suspicious Minds', 'In the Ghetto' and 'Kentucky Rain' among many others, Sony Music will release a deluxe version of From Elvis In Memphis, including all the 32 masters recorded at these sessions. These recordings have been remastered from the original album masters for optimum sound quality.

CD 1 (15 Tracks) The original 'From Elvis In Memphis' album.

From Elvis In Memphis
Wearin' That Loved On Look
Only The Strong Survive
I'll Hold You In My Heart
Long Black Limousine
It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'
I'm Movin' On
Power Of My Love
Gentle On My Mind
After Loving You
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road
Any Day Now
In The Ghetto

Single A-Sides

Suspicious Minds
Don't Cry Daddy
Kentucky Rain

CD2 (17 Tracks) The original 'Back In Memphis' album.

Inherit The Wind,
This Is The Story
Stranger In My Own Home Town
A Little Bit Of Green
And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind
Do You Know Who I Am?
From A Jack To A King
The Fair's Moving On
You'll Think Of Me
Without Love (There Is Nothing)

Single B-Sides

Rubberneckin'
My Little Friend
Mama Liked The Roses

Album Tracks

I'll Be There
Hey Jude
If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)
Who Am I

The cover art is the same as the original From Elvis In Memphis album, the text shown on the image below is just from the PDF flyer.
The images at right, I assume are those to be included in the booklet.

ImageImage

After returning from service in the US Army, Elvis Presley spent the next several years focusing on his acting career, yielding hit films and blockbuster soundtracks. It was, however almost a decade away from the stage and recording proper studio albums. In January 1969, seeking to gain back some artistic control, Elvis produced some of his most significant work ever during a two week long series of recording sessions at American Studios in Memphis. These were the first recording sessions after his triumphant comback TV special ELVIS that aired in December of 1968 and the first recording sessions in Memphis since he left Sun Records for RCA in 1955. A total of 32 masters were cut, the first release was the LP From Elvis In Memphis featuring the hit single 'In The Ghetto', followed by three hit single releases; 'Suspicious Minds', 'Don't Cry Daddy', and 'Kentucky Rain'. A second album was released as one half of the double album From Memphis To Vegas-From Vegas To Memphis, which features the utterly brilliant Percy Mayfield blues 'Stranger In My Own Home Town' and 4 additional tracks were later released on different LPs. In a career that was full of triumphs, Elvis' recordings at American Studios stand as one of the absolute highlights.

This is the Legacy Edition of one of Elvis' most significant albums, the critically acclaimed June 1969 release, From Elvis In Memphis.

This brand new 2-CD set contains all tracks from the sessions recorded at American Studios in Memphis in January and February of 1969, newly remastered for optimum sound quality.
Last edited by Elvis Australia on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis - 40th Anniversary Edition - Cover Art

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:52 am

So, it is two discs. That's a relief. This is as it should be.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis - 40th Anniversary Edition - Cover Art

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:55 am

Very nice - thanks for the info, David.

Rich

Re: From Elvis In Memphis - 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 am

Elvis Australia wrote:The images at right, I assume are those to be included in the booklet.

Let's hope you are mistaken.

That first image at the top is a fake, with the Elvis we see is from June 1968.

The others, taken between January and August 1969, are authentic.

Who does the art direction for such releases?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis : 40th Anniversary Edition - 2 CD Set

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:17 am

Doc, Sony , I guess they have got this from the internet. It could be that it is only for the retail PDF flyer, as they usually would only use their 'stock' images, but I will bring this to their attention. What do you mean by 'fake' ?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:50 am

Elvis Australia wrote:Doc, Sony , I guess they have got this from the internet. It could be that it is only for the retail PDF flyer, as they usually would only use their 'stock' images, but I will bring this to their attention. What do you mean by 'fake' ?

It's is apparently not a real candid -- it was probably created using Adobe Photoshop or similar software.

Faked photo of Bobby Dick and a June 1968 Elvis

Note the "Funny Girl" billboard reflected in the window.

As the Streisand film did not see its world premiere in New York until mid-September, and it's clearly Elvis from June, it's quite unlikely billboards advertising "Funny Girl" would be up three months prior.

He has another on his web site, but the billboard reflection has disappeared!

In neither is the guy actually looking at Elvis, or standing next to him.

In both Elvis is sharply-focused and colorful, while Dick is not.

-----

In any event, booklet images for a 1969 album of 1969 recordings should use 1969 photos, period.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:57 am

I agree, only '69, not up to us of couse but I have let Sony know of your info. Well spotted too. Surely then, Sony HQ have picked this up from the internet and it would be only for the flyer.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:00 am

The back artwork showing titles would suggest that this may well have been orinally a FTD release minus a few outtakes.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:13 am

Well yes, you can see Ernst's input. There wil be a FTD expanded release, that's for sure, just a matter of time, so maybe they did all the art while they were at it. Good presentation isn't it.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:26 am

The track selection is well-arranged.

It's a superb first purchase for anyone wanting to know what the fuss was about in 1969-70.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:58 am

There could be arguement that the January tracks should be on Dics 1 with February on Disc 2..

Basing on album order is an artificial constraint which is fine for a Classic FTD, but for a historical release. IMHO.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:09 am

KiwiAlan wrote:There could be arguement that the January tracks should be on Dics 1 with February on Disc 2..

Basing on album order is an artificial constraint which is fine for a Classic FTD, but for a historical release. IMHO.

Do you know anything about the SONY Legacy series?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:34 am

KiwiAlan wrote:There could be arguement that the January tracks should be on Dics 1 with February on Disc 2..

No you order a album tracklisting how it will play best, not on the recording date, IMO, the track selection is better than "well-arranged", it is perfect.

Particularly disc one, with Suspicious Minds, Don't Cry Daddy and Kentucky Rain following on after In The Ghetto.

The whole concept is perfect for general retail. Hopefully they can put some marketing behind this as Elvis great album and get some new fans.

This is the actual cover art too, no logos. Very striking.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 pm

The track sequencing is perfection.

<<==
I like the front cover, too !!

Steve Morse

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:09 pm

What a great looking set! Can't wait! Just hope the sound is dogs-boll*cks perfection too.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 pm

stupot wrote:What a great looking set! Can't wait! Just hope the sound is dogs-boll*cks perfection too.

Aye lad, that is the crucial question.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:48 pm

You can bet there will be plenty of discussion about the sound quality (or lack thereof) once this set is released. It will make for an interesting (and perhaps contentious) thread. I can hardly wait to read it.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:06 pm

This is a must have. It's available for pre-order at Amazon and they say it'll be out on the 28th of July. I was a bit suprised to see it was nearly £21 not including delivery, so I need to ask those with other Legacy titles....do you just get the discs, or is there some kind of ''package'' with the release.The details on Amazon are very basic at the moment.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Judging by the back cover of the new release, I get the ominous feeling that an FTD deluxe of both FEIM and BIM will be out real soon....and a lot sooner than you think ! :wink: :wink:

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:13 pm

I can't wait to get it! ::rocks

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:21 pm

It's good good good good GOOD!

CD's aimed at the geneal market should NOT have outtakes and/or multiple versions of the same song on them. Not at all. Unless you are a true fan, you're gonna skip them and they'll just annoy you.

This is brilliant. Both Memphis albums, single A and B sides and the remaining tracks at the end. Perfect.

I do hope the trend contines next year with the first ever release of the complete 1970 Studio Masters.

I never Play the Suspicious Minds double because CD 2 gets on my tits with it's jumping from masters to outtakes and repeat tracks.

Whenever I want to listen the 69 stuff I play the 60s Masters discs. But I prefer the track order here. More listenable that way.

I do hope the mixes are not the ones on Nashville To Memphis though, especially My Little Friend which needs to be the version where the strings jump accross the channels. I also hope that they use the longest possible fade outs as we are aware things like Stranger in My Own Home Town runs longer than it did on From Elvis In Memphis.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Note the "Funny Girl" billboard reflected in the window.

As the Streisand film did not see its world premiere in New York until mid-September, and it's clearly Elvis from June, it's quite unlikely billboards advertising "Funny Girl" would be up three months prior.

drjohncarpenter wrote:He has another on his web site, but the billboard reflection has disappeared!

There are other faults with the image, but that is why you shouldn't point them out.

These people are crafty and without shame.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:16 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Judging by the back cover of the new release, I get the ominous feeling that an FTD deluxe of both FEIM and BIM will be out real soon....and a lot sooner than you think ! :wink: :wink:

Fine with me. I plan to buy this release AND the FTD classic versions of FEIM and BIM when they come out anyway. However, I don't expect the FTD classic versions for at least a year or two. Perhaps longer.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:49 pm

If it's like the Byrds one, it'll be an open out digi pack with a transparant plastic slip cover and a fantabulous booklet! Wouldn't surprise me if there's a hidden track on there too, like This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You. We shall see. I have a feeling that this is a strong possibility.

Of course I'll still buy the FTD to sit alongside the other classic albums.

But I'll probably play this one more! And if ever there WAS a CD you could safely put on at work and not get any criticism, this is the one!

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:32 am

JerryNodak wrote: I don't expect the FTD classic versions for at least a year or two. Perhaps longer.

Ironically,FTD released "The Wonder Of You" just seconds (literally) after Audionics rushed-released "Stranger In The Crowd" . Never say "Never" in the Elvis world.

"Mr. McGee Don't Make Me Angry......You Would'nt Like Me When I'm Angry"

Dr. David Banner, 1977
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.