Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: This is Our Dance

Mon May 25, 2009 4:24 am

So, you're not familiar with that statement by Elvis? I believe it's on the FTD version of Love Letters. Lighten up, MX. It ain't the end of the world.

Mon May 25, 2009 1:36 pm

my wife and i used this perfect song as our wedding waltz. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary next year

Mon May 25, 2009 1:41 pm

midnightx wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:Yes, Elvis did recorded his share of lackluster material. But that's the testament to his greatness. He could take a mediocre song like This Is Our Dance and make it sound at the very least enjoyable. Any other artist would have drowned. As Elvis himself said, It's not good or bad. It's just mediocre. We were raised on this sh*t Besides it's over and done with. I choose to enjoy what Elvis left behind rather than always wishing history could be rewritten. It's much more pleasurable.

?

Come on. That is no so difficult to comprehend. I have highlighted the relevant portion in red to help you out. :smt002

Jerry has explained it very well indeed. It is also a point expressed by others on this thread.

Mon May 25, 2009 1:45 pm

pacerburton wrote:my wife and i used this perfect song as our wedding waltz. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary next year

Excellent - the perfect choice.

Well done on 24+ years - I am a 20 year man now myself. Still no parole :wink:

We had Love Me Tender as our 1st Dance. I would have gone with something from Omaha '77, but hey you can't have it all your own way :lol:

Mon May 25, 2009 5:06 pm

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:Jerry's and Ekenee's posts are excellent, and spot on.

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but while Elvis may have enjoyed the ego-boost of the title when it suited him, it's absolutely obvious that he didn't pay any attention to it when he recorded.

Can you see Elvis in the studio saying.."hmm.. ok, I'm the king of Rock 'N' Roll... so I better not do this song even though I like it..."

No, if he likes the song and wants to record it or feels he can do something with it, he's going to record it (even if he makes fun of the song in the process - something many recording artists are prone to do for fun while recording). Sometimes the labels we put on people and expect them to continuously live up to are a bit much. Granted, some of what he recorded was because of the limitations of the publishing companies, but if he really hated a song (other than in the movies where he had to pick one), he wouldn't have recorded it.

One person's lack of vision is another person's changing tastes - I respect Elvis for those changes, even if it's foreign to others. I think that having an appreciation for more varied music tastes in an artist is a good thing, others don't think so. So it is what it is.

One last point that I find interesting... I've seen so much bashing of Elvis' "less-than-revolutionary" (but still good imo) output, and yet Ernst gets praise to the point that anyone who detracts him should be shot, tarred, feathered, hung, etc. That's no knock to Ernst in the least, he's doing an awesome job and has worked hard to improve Elvis' musical legacy - but it's a shame, to me, that I don't see more of that rope and appreciation given to the man who's legacy he's working so hard for.

Thanks man. What boggles my mind is the bashing of these sessions, when just last year
there was so praise for the FTD releases for:

"Thats the way it is"
"Elvis country"
"Love Letters"

No its not all "rocknroll" , but still

all must haves in my book.

Who has been bashing the 1970 Nashville sessions? Some enthusiasts are able to look at the sessions and material with open eyes. Clearly there were some mediocre songs at best recorded during the sessions. To say that is not in any way an attempt to bash the 1970 Nashville sessions.

What sadly gets lost on a very consistent basis with members on this forum is that yes, Elvis recorded songs he wanted to record, but for the most part, he recorded what was brought to the sessions. That is where the flaw was and that is the reason for some very questionable material. So, one can argue that he tackled a lackluster song with This Is Our Dance because he essentially wanted to, but had there been an overall higher quality of material available, a lame track such as This Is Our Dance either would not have been brought in as an option, or it would have been passed over due to better song options being available. This again was a failure on the part of RCA, Felton Jarvis, Freddy Bienstock and Tom Parker. Their job was to direct and manage Elvis' recording career - and they simply failed to deliver way too often.

Yes, it makes one shudder at the thought of those tracks which were actually rejected!

Mon May 25, 2009 6:10 pm

BIGREDG wrote:We had Love Me Tender as our 1st Dance.

My wife and I were married 26 years ago with "The Hawaiian Wedding Song" playing in the background (instrumental only).

I wanted "Hound Dog," but she frowned upon it.

Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 pm

Rob wrote:I wanted "Hound Dog," but she frowned upon it.

Hound Dog from Omaha of course? Same here. What's with these chicks eh!! :smt002

Mon May 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Ah yes, the Omaha version!

The chant at the end could have covered up the "I don't" part of the vows :wink:

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 am

Old topic, I know, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I've always liked "This Is Our Dance"... I wouldn't show it to a casual listener, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine, same as "Sylvia" and others that some people here like to make fun of.

I'm listening to an Engelbert's "Greatest Hits" double album, drinking a glass of vodka, and... am I the only one who thinks that "This Is Our Dance" sounds strangely VERY similar to Engelbert Humperdinck's "The Last Waltz" from 1968?

phpBB [video]

Yeah, both are waltz, I know that!

I also noticed Engelbert recorded "Love Letters" in 1969, and then next year Elvis recorded it again (I know, it's supposed to be a favor to David Briggs) along with a song who sounds pretty much like "Last Waltz".

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:50 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that "This Is Our Dance" sounds strangely VERY similar to Engelbert Humperdinck's "The Last Waltz" from 1968?

No - it certainly does sound like it. In much the same way as "The Fair Is Moving On" sounds like Tom Jones' "Funny Familiar Forgotten Feelings".

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:03 pm

JimmyCool wrote: I'm listening to an Engelbert's "Greatest Hits" double album, drinking a glass of vodka, and... am I the only one who thinks that "This Is Our Dance" sounds strangely VERY similar to Engelbert Humperdinck's "The Last Waltz" from 1968?

Same [part] composer [Les Reed] on both tracks, Jimmy.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:27 am

JimmyCool wrote:Old topic, I know, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I've always liked "This Is Our Dance"... I wouldn't show it to a casual listener, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine, same as "Sylvia" and others that some people here like to make fun of.

I'm listening to an Engelbert's "Greatest Hits" double album, drinking a glass of vodka, and... am I the only one who thinks that "This Is Our Dance" sounds strangely VERY similar to Engelbert Humperdinck's "The Last Waltz" from 1968?

phpBB [video]

I also noticed Engelbert recorded "Love Letters" in 1969, and then next year Elvis recorded it again (I know, it's supposed to be a favor to David Briggs) along with a song who sounds pretty much like "Last Waltz".

The standards were set pretty high at Nashville in 1970.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

"This Is Our Dance" is dogs poop!!!!

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 am

JimmyCool wrote:Old topic, I know, but I didn't want to start a new one.

phpBB [video]

Yeah, after all IT IS a waltz also. Fact. :mrgreen:

"The Last Waltz" was pretty popular over here. And austrian singer Peter Alexander had a No.#1-Hit with his german version "Der letzte Walzer".
It was his penultimate No.#1 single on the german charts, and his first after ten years.

Another missed opportunity by our man. :wink:

Elvis' remake of "Love Letters" is a throwaway in my opinion. Can't keep up with his great May '66 recording.