Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: This is Our Dance

Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 am

JerryNodak wrote:I think the "King of Rock and Roll" was a "title" that was hung on Elvis by the media and the fans which in all likelihood he didn't like or care about.

Well, he didn't act like it so this pretty much indicates that he didn't care, too.

JerryNodak wrote:He just wanted make music and sing songs (of whatever type/genre). Elvis wasn't forced to sing "This Is Our Dance. I expect he sang it because something about it appealed to him.

I think he sang it because he didn't have better material. Actually very much of the 1970 Nashville Session (except for the country album) is not explainable otherwise.
Last edited by ©©® on Sat May 23, 2009 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 23, 2009 10:59 am

This Is Our Dance
(words & music by reed - stephens)

We had a real good evening
Now all our friends are leaving
Soon we'll be alone
Wait till everybody has gone
Then play just one more song
Cause this is our dance
Darling remember, its our dance
Loving and tender
I'll take you away, take you away
In my arms
Yes this is our dance, now were together
For our dance can't last forever
And nobody knows just what tomorrow will bring
So let our dance begin
We'll turn the light down low now
I'll never let you go now
You're here in my arms
And when I hear you whisper you're mine
We'll play that song just one more time
Cause this is our dance
Darling remember, its our dance
Loving and tender
I'll take you away, take you away
In my arms
Yes this is our dance, now we're together
For our dance can't last forever
And nobody knows just what tomorrow will bring
So let our dance begin

Yaaawwwnnnhhh...

Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:You, as per usual, completely miss the point.

Absolutely. You are too good for me John.

You are the King of the snidey put down. And that will never change. A millstone for us all to bear.

Sat May 23, 2009 1:51 pm

©©® wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I think the "King of Rock and Roll" was a "title" that was hung on Elvis by the media and the fans which in all likelihood he didn't like or care about.

Well, he didn't act like it so this pretty much indicates that he didn't care, too.

JerryNodak wrote:He just wanted make music and sing songs (of whatever type/genre). Elvis wasn't forced to sing "This Is Our Dance. I expect he sang it because something about it appealed to him.

I think he sang it because he didn't have better material. Actually very much of the 1970 Nashville Session (except for the country album) is not explainable otherwise.

Have you taken leave of your senses??? It's one of his best ever sessions!

Sat May 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Have you taken leave of your senses??? It's one of his best ever sessions!

Nah. Too much country and not nearly enough Rock n Roll. Damn him!! :lol:

Sat May 23, 2009 2:38 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I think the "King of Rock and Roll" was a "title" that was hung on Elvis by the media and the fans which in all likelihood he didn't like or care about. He just wanted make music and sing songs (of whatever type/genre). Elvis wasn't forced to sing "This Is Our Dance. I expect he sang it because something about it appealed to him. I feel sorry for Elvis because his music has been sliced and diced and over analyzed to the point that many of us have forgotten how to just sit down and listen just for the sheer joy of listening. Many here are way over the top about the song or the mix or what have you. The next time you put an Elvis cd in your player I challenge you to just listen for the sheer enjoyment of the music. Forget about all that other stuff if your ears still remember how.

Thank You Jerry Nodak. Thank You very much indeed! :)

Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Have you taken leave of your senses??? It's one of his best ever sessions!

Really? I don't think so. The country album of course was great but the rest? Sylvia; Cindy, Cindy; Heart of Rome, This Is Our Dance, Life, I'll Never Know, If I Were You, When I'm Over You, Patch It Up, The Sound Of Your Cry and a forgettable re-recording of Love Letters hardly make "one of his best ever sessions".

The quota of inferior material is as high as in nearly no other (non-soundtrack-)session. Don't let his good looks and overall high energy disctract you. After Memphis '69 this was a desaster.

Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Oh come on man!

What about Stranger In The Crowd, Twenty Days, Just Pretend, Where Did They Go Lord, Rags To Riches, How The Web Was Woven, Next Step Is Love, I've Lost You, Mary In The Morning, Mojo Workin and all the other beauties?

I really really like Syvia, Heart of Rome, Sound Of Your Cry and Patch It Up incidentally and I think his voice is exquisit on I'll Never Know, If I Were You and stuff like that.

Memphis 69 was a milestone, but I prefer the energy and material of the 1970 sessions personally and I think the Nashville plays are much more suited to Elvis' voice and sound.

Sat May 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:What about Stranger In The Crowd, Twenty Days, Just Pretend, Where Did They Go Lord, Rags To Riches, How The Web Was Woven, Next Step Is Love, I've Lost You

You're right: I forgot the awful Where Did They Go Lord on my list of inferior material.

Sat May 23, 2009 4:38 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I think the "King of Rock and Roll" was a "title" that was hung on Elvis by the media and the fans which in all likelihood he didn't like or care about. He just wanted make music and sing songs (of whatever type/genre). Elvis wasn't forced to sing "This Is Our Dance. I expect he sang it because something about it appealed to him. I feel sorry for Elvis because his music has been sliced and diced and over analyzed to the point that many of us have forgotten how to just sit down and listen just for the sheer joy of listening. Many here are way over the top about the song or the mix or what have you. The next time you put an Elvis cd in your player I challenge you to just listen for the sheer enjoyment of the music. Forget about all that other stuff if your ears still remember how.

Thank You Jerry Nodak. Thank You very much indeed! :)

Amen!

Sat May 23, 2009 4:53 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Elvis was the King of Rock 'n' Roll in 1956 and still in 1961, but by 1970 he had gone through many a transition, and in no way could or would want to be considered the King of Rock 'n' Roll. He was bigger than that.

I was pretty much going to say the same thing until I got to your reply.

"This Is Our Dance" is not something that I've always jumped right to on the album. However, I can listen to it and be fine with it. I can appreciate Elvis' version of it. Also, I've never known any of the ladies not to like it. I've always thought it was Elvis' song to them.

I've always heard that he was quite the ladies man. Don't know if it's true or not though.

Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Vinnie Terranova wrote:Almost midnight here. Working late on my laptop. Been watching and listening to this youtube clip. I haven't heard this song in quite awhile. I forgot what a beautiful masterpiece this is (in my humble opinion)!! Very relaxing to listen to over and over. Anyone else feel this way about this song?

Thanks...
I feel exactly the same way about this song. It's such an extremely beautiful and also such a very highly underrated song. It's always been one of my most favorite songs that Elvis ever recorded.

Sat May 23, 2009 5:29 pm

ElvisSacramento wrote:
Vinnie Terranova wrote:Almost midnight here. Working late on my laptop. Been watching and listening to this youtube clip. I haven't heard this song in quite awhile. I forgot what a beautiful masterpiece this is (in my humble opinion)!! Very relaxing to listen to over and over. Anyone else feel this way about this song?

Thanks...
I feel exactly the same way about this song. It's such an extremely beautiful and also such a very highly underrated song. It's always been one of my most favorite songs that Elvis ever recorded.

As someone wrote earlier, and Elvis said himself, "it depends on the song". He was much bigger than being labled the king of rock and roll.

To me, his delivery of this song is amazing, as with almost all of the songs during these sessions.

Sat May 23, 2009 9:54 pm

©©® wrote:
The quota of inferior material is as high as in nearly no other (non-soundtrack-)session. Don't let his good looks and overall high energy disctract you. After Memphis '69 this was a desaster.

Very well put, after the Memphis-sessions these recording were a bit disappointing. Don't get me wrong, these are propably the best recording session of the 70s and there are many great cuts. At the same time, Elvis cut some pretty awkward material, like This is Our Dance, Life and even Mary in the Morning. The whole album Love Letters from Elvis should not have been released at all - and I think that many critics at the time shared this opinion. It is sad how quickly his ship sank after the comeback.

Maybe Elvis liked the song This is Our Dance or maybe not. By this time he started to record material that he wasn't devoted to just to fullfill his contracts.

I also agree with Doc that Elvis probably really enjoyed his status as the King of Rock n Roll. What is so terrible about that?

Sat May 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Rob wrote:
"This Is Our Dance" is not something that I've always jumped right to on the album. However, I can listen to it and be fine with it. I can appreciate Elvis' version of it. Also, I've never known any of the ladies not to like it. I've always thought it was Elvis' song to them.

I've always heard that he was quite the ladies man. Don't know if it's true or not though.

Very nicely put.

Whenever I hear it I always think of Elvis singing it to Priscilla.

Sat May 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Jerry's and Ekenee's posts are excellent, and spot on.

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but while Elvis may have enjoyed the ego-boost of the title when it suited him, it's absolutely obvious that he didn't pay any attention to it when he recorded.

Can you see Elvis in the studio saying.."hmm.. ok, I'm the king of Rock 'N' Roll... so I better not do this song even though I like it..."

No, if he likes the song and wants to record it or feels he can do something with it, he's going to record it (even if he makes fun of the song in the process - something many recording artists are prone to do for fun while recording). Sometimes the labels we put on people and expect them to continuously live up to are a bit much. Granted, some of what he recorded was because of the limitations of the publishing companies, but if he really hated a song (other than in the movies where he had to pick one), he wouldn't have recorded it.

One person's lack of vision is another person's changing tastes - I respect Elvis for those changes, even if it's foreign to others. I think that having an appreciation for more varied music tastes in an artist is a good thing, others don't think so. So it is what it is.

One last point that I find interesting... I've seen so much bashing of Elvis' "less-than-revolutionary" (but still good imo) output, and yet Ernst gets praise to the point that anyone who detracts him should be shot, tarred, feathered, hung, etc. That's no knock to Ernst in the least, he's doing an awesome job and has worked hard to improve Elvis' musical legacy - but it's a shame, to me, that I don't see more of that rope and appreciation given to the man who's legacy he's working so hard for.

Sat May 23, 2009 11:09 pm

JamieAKelley wrote:Jerry's and Ekenee's posts are excellent, and spot on.

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but while Elvis may have enjoyed the ego-boost of the title when it suited him, it's absolutely obvious that he didn't pay any attention to it when he recorded.

Can you see Elvis in the studio saying.."hmm.. ok, I'm the king of Rock 'N' Roll... so I better not do this song even though I like it..."

No, if he likes the song and wants to record it or feels he can do something with it, he's going to record it (even if he makes fun of the song in the process - something many recording artists are prone to do for fun while recording). Sometimes the labels we put on people and expect them to continuously live up to are a bit much. Granted, some of what he recorded was because of the limitations of the publishing companies, but if he really hated a song (other than in the movies where he had to pick one), he wouldn't have recorded it.

One person's lack of vision is another person's changing tastes - I respect Elvis for those changes, even if it's foreign to others. I think that having an appreciation for more varied music tastes in an artist is a good thing, others don't think so. So it is what it is.

One last point that I find interesting... I've seen so much bashing of Elvis' "less-than-revolutionary" (but still good imo) output, and yet Ernst gets praise to the point that anyone who detracts him should be shot, tarred, feathered, hung, etc. That's no knock to Ernst in the least, he's doing an awesome job and has worked hard to improve Elvis' musical legacy - but it's a shame, to me, that I don't see more of that rope and appreciation given to the man who's legacy he's working so hard for.

Jamie......did you slap whoever it was that made that face?

Great Post btw :D

Sat May 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks man. What boggles my mind is the bashing of these sessions, when just last year
there was so praise for the FTD releases for:

"Thats the way it is"
"Elvis country"
"Love Letters"

No its not all "rocknroll" , but still

all must haves in my book.

Sat May 23, 2009 11:42 pm

I think the point the posters are making is that he wasn't just the King of Rock N' Roll.

About the subject of the thread, when you're recording 30 plus songs in a single session some of the material is not going to be up to snuff. The Love Letters from Elvis LP was the third bite at the June 1970 apple. Not many sessions can stand up to that deep an exploration.

Had RCA not been determined to milk every single note that Elvis recorded, we would probably have found out about this in a posthumous rarities collection.

CCR- I would point out "Where Did They Go Lord" was written by Dallas Frazier the same guy that wrote "Wearin' That Loved on Look," an undisputed highlight of the Memphis sessions. It's not as if the untried material in this session was coming from sources that weren't used then.

And I do think that there were some first rate or significantly better than average un-tried titles (not exclusively titles that had never been recorded but songs that had not been hits) that came out of this session including as Swingin' points out "How the Web Was Woven," "Patch it Up," "Stranger in the Crowd," "Just Pretend," (a personal favorite), "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights," "It's Your Baby, You Rock it" (hey even Shirl Milete can hit the target once in awhile) and others. And Elvis' choice of remake material was pretty sharp and many of the songs reflect an especial inventiveness as an interpreter.

Great post Jamie.

Sun May 24, 2009 12:40 am

Hey, Freddy - actually you didn't stir up a hornet's nest.. the "not good enough for the King Of Rock 'N' Roll" thing has been brought up many times before, and was used again since your post. I just think that's not fair, and potentially constricting to Elvis, as an artist, how we view his recorded output.

Having heard the parts Ernst describes (it's on the FTD's, of course), the musicians sound to me like they're joking that they're having a hard time getting the hang of the song and are messing up the chords (there're a lot of odd chords in it). The description brings to mind a harsher connotation, even if that wasn't the intention. Elvis' frustation can definitely be heard, and could be of the song or of the band's hard time getting it. In the tone of his defense of Lamar, it's hard to say whether he's knocking the song with James, or saying it quickly to semi-politely keep James on track.. I say that because James' tone turns even more joking when he says "If It is, I'm gonna kill 'im," which could be in response to Elvis' response. I say all this because I've recorded 4 CDs and heard the guys say and do various things and from just the audio it's hard to nail down the connotation 100%. Heck, even if you're there it's sometimes hard to tell.. but musicians and artists blow off steam and cut up on songs and joke at them when recording to loosen tension, especially if it's taking awhile to nail down (and 11 takes is a high number compared to most, though not all, of the session). Elvis probably didn't love the song, but I still maintain that if he hated it, it wouldn't have been cut.

It'd be interesting to see how many songs were left un-recorded.. depending on what was left from that session, we might be able to discern more how forced Elvis was to record some of the songs for that session (or any session, really).

Not sure if you're into Capt. Marvel Jr.. but I'm a DC comics fan, and you might be interested to know that, for a time, Billy took the wizard Shazam's place and Freddy became the new Capt. Marvel!

LD: Yes, I did, lol - acually it's better than most wax heads I've seen.. I'm just looking for another avatar, so this'll just be up until I find one I want. :D
Last edited by JamieAKelley on Sun May 24, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 24, 2009 12:48 am

ekenee wrote:

Thanks man. What boggles my mind is the bashing of these sessions, when just last year
there was so praise for the FTD releases for:

"Thats the way it is"
"Elvis country"
"Love Letters"

No its not all "rocknroll" , but still

all must haves in my book.

Who has been bashing the 1970 Nashville sessions? Some enthusiasts are able to look at the sessions and material with open eyes. Clearly there were some mediocre songs at best recorded during the sessions. To say that is not in any way an attempt to bash the 1970 Nashville sessions.

What sadly gets lost on a very consistent basis with members on this forum is that yes, Elvis recorded songs he wanted to record, but for the most part, he recorded what was brought to the sessions. That is where the flaw was and that is the reason for some very questionable material. So, one can argue that he tackled a lackluster song with This Is Our Dance because he essentially wanted to, but had there been an overall higher quality of material available, a lame track such as This Is Our Dance either would not have been brought in as an option, or it would have been passed over due to better song options being available. This again was a failure on the part of RCA, Felton Jarvis, Freddy Bienstock and Tom Parker. Their job was to direct and manage Elvis' recording career - and they simply failed to deliver way too often.

Sun May 24, 2009 1:02 am

Midnightx, that's one of, if not the, best post of this viewpoint so far - opinion based with fact, presented in such a way that shouldn't offend those of the opposing viewpoint. I wanted to point that out specifically because I'd love to see more of that (and that's not meant to single you out by any means), and nothing happens if nothing is said. It'd make these debates a lot more enjoyable (imo), though probably much shorter, lol.

The difference is in the opinion of the song(s), or at least Elvis' interpretation. I and many other fans believe that, while it's true Elvis probably would have picked other material if stronger stuff was there, the songs as he does them are enjoyable and have some quality to them, even if they'd likely be crap if done by anybody else.. lol Another large fan group believes that the songs are bad and that's that - though that may be an over-simplification.

At the end of the day, that part of it is largely an agree-to-disagree situation, though all of us fall into the trap of trying to change someone else's opinion at one time or another. For myself, I'd rather have these songs that may not be his most stellar work than for him to've cut nothing at all (which probably would have, in all honesty, been more healthy for Elvis). But this was just coming into the time when artists didn't have to put out so many albums (and now it can be as few as one every two to three years, even more).

Just my thoughts.

Sun May 24, 2009 2:49 pm

JamieAKelley wrote:Midnightx, that's one of, if not the, best post of this viewpoint so far

Yes, I was impressed also with this thoughtful post. Well done Mx. :smt023

Nice response too Jamie.

Mon May 25, 2009 2:53 am

Yes, Elvis did recorded his share of lackluster material. But that's the testament to his greatness. He could take a mediocre song like This Is Our Dance and make it sound at the very least enjoyable. Any other artist would have drowned. As Elvis himself said, It's not good or bad. It's just mediocre. We were raised on this sh*t Besides it's over and done with. I choose to enjoy what Elvis left behind rather than always wishing history could be rewritten. It's much more pleasurable.

Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 am

JerryNodak wrote:Yes, Elvis did recorded his share of lackluster material. But that's the testament to his greatness. He could take a mediocre song like This Is Our Dance and make it sound at the very least enjoyable. Any other artist would have drowned. As Elvis himself said, It's not good or bad. It's just mediocre. We were raised on this sh*t Besides it's over and done with. I choose to enjoy what Elvis left behind rather than always wishing history could be rewritten. It's much more pleasurable.

?