Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: This is Our Dance

Fri May 22, 2009 7:47 pm

elvisjock wrote:"This type of schmaltz" is something we see Elvis attracted to from 1953 onward.

It's not an award winner by any means, but it is pretty, it's a waltz, and people like it. As I've stated in the past, I get a very strong (positive) response when I play it on the radio.

(Insert wise-ass remark about my audience here.)

For me, This Is Our Dance contains one captivating line. "And when I hear you whisper you're mine, we'll play that song, just one more time." He sings it so beautifully. It's just very pleasing to my ears.

I agree 100% elvisjock.

Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Vinnie Terranova wrote:Almost midnight here. Working late on my laptop. Been watching and listening to this youtube clip. I haven't heard this song in quite awhile. I forgot what a beautiful masterpiece this is

Well, I wouldn't say it's a "masterpiece". But it's surely enjoyable every once in a while. Definitely better than much of the other "Adult contemporary"-material recorded during those sessions.

Fri May 22, 2009 8:05 pm

©©® wrote:
Vinnie Terranova wrote:Almost midnight here. Working late on my laptop. Been watching and listening to this youtube clip. I haven't heard this song in quite awhile. I forgot what a beautiful masterpiece this is

Well, I wouldn't say it's a "masterpiece". But it's surely enjoyable every once in a while. Definitely better than much of the other "Adult contemporary"-material recorded during those sessions.

"Masterpiece" may have been a little over the top - agreed. But yes, it's very just something abou the song and the way he delivers it that just sticks with me right now to want to listen multiple times.

Fri May 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Vinnie Terranova wrote:Almost midnight here. Working late on my laptop. Been watching and listening to this youtube clip. I haven't heard this song in quite awhile. I forgot what a beautiful masterpiece this is (in my humble opinion)!! Very relaxing to listen to over and over. Anyone else feel this way about this song?

Are you seriously saying that "This Is Our Dance" is a "beautiful masterpiece"?

Freddy Freeman wrote:... I've always thought that this song is the type of schmaltz ... that Elvis really ought to have steered clear of. It's the type of material that was best left to the likes of Engelbert Humperdinck and Tom Jones ... not "The King of Rock 'n' Roll".

Bulls-eye!

Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Freddy Freeman wrote:............. not "The King of Rock 'n' Roll".

Elvis was the King of Rock 'n' Roll in 1956 and still in 1961, but by 1970 he had gone through many a transition, and in no way could or would want to be considered the King of Rock 'n' Roll. He was bigger than that.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 pm

"Many a transition" ... downward.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Many a transition" ... downward.

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

But any way you look at it, the King Of Rock N Roll "tag" was not a millstone to be hung around Elvis' neck by 1970.

Listen to all the radio spots as on the new Tunzi CD for TTWII - it is all explained on there.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:28 pm

!
midnightx:
Courtesy and Civility are Mandatory! Please stay on-topic.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:30 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:"Many a transition" ... downward.

That is your opinion..

Yes, yet another well-informed opinion, based on the facts of his career after 1961.

Please, do absorb.

BIGREDG wrote:But any way you look at it, the King Of Rock N Roll "tag" was not a millstone to be hung around Elvis' neck by 1970.

The sobriquet carries with it the fact that his rock and roll music changed the world.

To deride it as a "millstone" shows how little you understand about that titanic and incomparable achievement.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: To deride it as a "millstone" shows how little you understand about that titanic and incomparable achievement.

Nice try John (if slightly uncivil and discourteous), but Elvis changing the world of music in the 50s, and justly earning the name King Of Rock 'n' Roll did not mean that he must forever stay that punk youth sneering at the establishment. By the age of 35 Elvis had matured beyond that. Much to your consternation, but that's the way it is.

King Of Rock 'n' Roll, to King Of Entertainment, knocking 'em dead in Veagas and across the country. Respect to the man.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:47 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Nice try John (if slightly uncivil and discourteous), but Elvis changing the world of music in the 50s, and justly earning the name King Of Rock 'n' Roll did not mean that he must forever stay that punk youth sneering at the establishment.

You, as per usual, completely miss the point.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:51 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: To deride it as a "millstone" shows how little you understand about that titanic and incomparable achievement.

Nice try John (if slightly uncivil and discourteous), but Elvis changing the world of music in the 50s, and justly earning the name King Of Rock 'n' Roll did not mean that he must forever stay that punk youth sneering at the establishment. By the age of 35 Elvis had matured beyond that. Much to your consternation, but that's the way it is.

King Of Rock 'n' Roll, to King Of Entertainment, knocking 'em dead in Veagas and across the country. Respect to the man.

Sadly, Elvis' management represention sent him on the "knocking 'em dead in Vegas" path -- because essentially that was the foundation for the death of his career.

Fri May 22, 2009 11:42 pm

Freddy Freeman wrote:I've always thought that this song is the type of schmaltz (a word that's been used a good few times on this MB recently) that Elvis really ought to have steered clear of. It's the type of material that was best left to the likes of Engelbert Humperdinck and Tom Jones (no offence intended, LD :) ), not "The King of Rock 'n' Roll".

Fine. So we can skip huge parts of Elvis' career now. :roll:

midnightx wrote:Sadly, Elvis' management represention sent him on the "knocking 'em dead in Vegas" path -- because essentially that was the foundation for the death of his career.

You're so right. Poor Elvis. :cry: He could have changed it in a minute by just not signing the contracts, though. Ever thought about that?
Last edited by ©©® on Fri May 22, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 22, 2009 11:44 pm

©©® wrote:Fine. So we can skip huge parts of Elvis' career now.

"Huge parts" of Elvis' career were anything but "schmaltz."

Fri May 22, 2009 11:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
©©® wrote:Fine. So we can skip huge parts of Elvis' career now.

"Huge parts" of Elvis' career were anything but "schmaltz."

That's probably right.

I was rather referring to the statement that this type of material was best left to anybody but the "King of Rock'n'Roll". There was very much material that was best left to anybody but the "King of Rock'n'Roll". Or do you really think that stuff like Rock-A-Hula Baby or the ersatz rock of Roustabout was something that fit the "King of Rock'n'Roll"?

Sat May 23, 2009 12:21 am

I think the "King of Rock and Roll" was a "title" that was hung on Elvis by the media and the fans which in all likelihood he didn't like or care about. He just wanted make music and sing songs (of whatever type/genre). Elvis wasn't forced to sing "This Is Our Dance. I expect he sang it because something about it appealed to him. I feel sorry for Elvis because his music has been sliced and diced and over analyzed to the point that many of us have forgotten how to just sit down and listen just for the sheer joy of listening. Many here are way over the top about the song or the mix or what have you. The next time you put an Elvis cd in your player I challenge you to just listen for the sheer enjoyment of the music. Forget about all that other stuff if your ears still remember how.

Sat May 23, 2009 12:30 am

JerryNodak wrote:I think the "King of Rock and Roll" was a "title" that was hung on Elvis by the media and the fans which in all likelihood he didn't like or care about. He just wanted make music and sing songs (of whatever type/genre).

Jerry, you really think Elvis didn't like being called the best of the best? I would disagree.

Sat May 23, 2009 12:43 am

I stand by my point. I expect Elvis knew he was the. best. He didn't need a title. It's the media and especially the fans who get all hung up about the title. It's the fans who always bemoan the fact that the "King of Rock and Roll' shouldn't have sung this or that. All the "King" wanted to do was make music.

Sat May 23, 2009 1:19 am

JerryNodak wrote:I stand by my point. I expect Elvis knew he was the. best. He didn't need a title. It's the media and especially the fans who get all hung up about the title. It's the fans who always bemoan the fact that the "King of Rock and Roll' shouldn't have sung this or that. All the "King" wanted to do was make music.

Yes, that is true. And sadly, by the early 70's, he was lacking direction, guidance, creativity and opportunity in many instances thanks to Tom Parker, RCA, Freddy Bienstock and Felton Jarvis.

Sat May 23, 2009 1:24 am

JerryNodak wrote:I stand by my point. I expect Elvis knew he was the. best. He didn't need a title.

You must not know that Elvis had a HUGE ego.

If so, then you would understand why he enjoyed that lofty sobriquet from time to time.

Sat May 23, 2009 2:56 am

I know that Elvis had a huge ego. And yes he probably enjoyed having the title from time to to time. But it is the fans who get all hung up over the tilte when it comes to the type(s) of music Elvis recorded. Elvis just wanted to make music. Regardless of type. That is my point where "This Is Our Dance" is concerned.

Sat May 23, 2009 3:01 am

JerryNodak wrote:I know that Elvis had a huge ego. And yes he probably enjoyed having the title from time to to time.

Yes!

Sat May 23, 2009 6:57 am

Doc...you are dead on as usual in all regards here.

After 1969 Elvis began to drift and become so unfocused of everything he was musically that only sometimes during the seventies did he get lost and recapture some of that earlier magic. But to each his/her own.

I am so glad that the Doc and some others on here do not have permanently tinted rose colored glasses.

One can bet that Issak, Joel, Petty, Jett, Springsteen, the Beatles, or even the worst country singer (and there are plenty of those) was influenced by This Is Our Dance or anything Elvis performed like it.

Sat May 23, 2009 7:40 am

So, did all of you expect Elvis to continue with his King of rocknroll style that he did in the 50's?

"It's just according to the song" Elvis---1970

"It's hard finding good hard rock songs. I would if I could find them" Elvis---1972

The singer songwriters were recording all the new, good, rocknroll songs.

Elvis was getting older and was recording softer material.

His divorce led to the so-called, "divorce/breakup" songs that he recorded.

I think "you gave me a mountain" was basically over the top pathos.

He liked that so much he sang it at nearly every concert there after.

Some things you just can't escape.

He obviously liked that song more than I do.

By focusing in on "This is our dance", you miss the big picture.

Elvis liked to sing a varied type of song.

"I sing all kinds" Elvis ---1953

It doesn't all have to change the world or be a frickin piece of art.

For the same reason some fans like this material, so did Elvis enjoy singing it, at least for awhile.

Sometimes I will like a certain song for awhile, then tire of it, only to come back to it, at a later time.

" I grew up on mediorce sh*t" Elvis--1970?
Last edited by ekenee on Sat May 23, 2009 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 23, 2009 8:10 am

It's not the type of song I like Elvis to sing - he should have left it for Englebert