Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: EIC CBS broadcast

Sun May 17, 2009 8:28 am

If the CBS cameras had been in Pittsburg 6 months earlier, we'd be watching a somewhat slimmed down Elvis onstage, giving one of the best shows of his final year. I'm not sure if the EIC critics would've liked this any better, though.

Sun May 17, 2009 10:04 am

You are right midnightx, of course. It's just a shame no 74 shows were committed to pro-film as this was in my opinion, the last time Elvis was truly fantastic on stage.

I like the idea of the Pittsburgh show being a TV special.That could have been a success - broadcast live and on delay for different time zones throughout the world - so that everyone could see the new year in with Elvis. It was an event after all - not just a couple of regular tour shows in any old venue.

Could've been a better swan song but it wasn't. We're stuck with Elvis In Concert. It's no Elvis On Tour. But I still enjoy it very much I have to admit.

Sun May 17, 2009 11:44 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Prayer?! If you're going to take the time to pray, why not take the time to pray for some things that God would REALLY CARE about: Salvation for friends and family members and maybe yourself [I don't know you], our soldiers fighting the terrorists, poor people that don't know where their next meal is coming from, people with illnesses, etc, etc. Please don't speak so loosely about prayer. Surely you're not serious about praying for a certain "Elvis Presley release"! If you are, go ahead. It will be in vain and the Lord will not even hear it.

Thanks - THEMEMPHISFAN

Yes.You don't know me, and you don't have the right to tell anything about my prayer or on what reason I should pray for, or tell me if it is serious or not.

I read your posts and you treat people like this: tell them what they should do, what they shouldn't do, what they should want , etc. ... .Please don't do that,because everybody have their own will, and surely you're not the one who can decide for themselves.

Your point of view on music, Elvis, faith, Lord, or whatever else is not the only one right.

Even if you can't stand it that anyone has different view on something, please don't criticize anybody for that reason.

Thank you.

Sun May 17, 2009 1:23 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Prayer?! If you're going to take the time to pray, why not take the time to pray for some things that God would REALLY CARE about: Salvation for friends and family members and maybe yourself [I don't know you], our soldiers fighting the terrorists, poor people that don't know where their next meal is coming from, people with illnesses, etc, etc. Please don't speak so loosely about prayer. Surely you're not serious about praying for a certain "Elvis Presley release"! If you are, go ahead. It will be in vain and the Lord will not even hear it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I pray for a lot of things, most of which you've mentioned (especially with a son in Iraq). However, I've never prayed for a certain Elvis release. I wouldn't dare to.

Takes all kinds, I guess.

Sun May 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Freddy, it wasn't complex. Both Elvis and Tom Parker were strapped for cash in 1977. There was an unbelievable amount of financial pressure on both men. The consistent touring revenue was all that was barely keeping them afloat. The TV Special was an easy and simple way to increase their revenue stream with little work involved. No new set-lists, no rehearsals, no special wardrobe requirements, no creative marketing campaigns, etc were involved. The logistics of filming were handled by CBS. A very easy, cool $750,000. Tom Parker was very well aware of Elvis deteriorating condition as a human and performer. The deal was made because it was so easy on all levels - no real challange was involved by anyone and that was the whole point.

Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Just got the DVD THE CBS TAPES With EIC and the Omaha and Rapid City concerts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 27, 2009 7:51 pm

midnightx wrote:Freddy, it wasn't complex. Both Elvis and Tom Parker were strapped for cash in 1977. There was an unbelievable amount of financial pressure on both men. The consistent touring revenue was all that was barely keeping them afloat. The TV Special was an easy and simple way to increase their revenue stream with little work involved. No new set-lists, no rehearsals, no special wardrobe requirements, no creative marketing campaigns, etc were involved. The logistics of filming were handled by CBS. A very easy, cool $750,000. Tom Parker was very well aware of Elvis deteriorating condition as a human and performer. The deal was made because it was so easy on all levels - no real challange was involved by anyone and that was the whole point.

One reason I like EIC is that it epitomises the "business as usual" approach to touring in the late 70's, as much as any concert where its star performer is aware he's being videotaped can. Aloha is spectacular, EIC is down-home.

I know you think you're being all deep and clever and superior in repeatedly pointing out it was only done for money, but, in my opinion, you're missing the woods for the trees -- which tends to happen when one is blinded by fanatical hatred.

Wed May 27, 2009 7:52 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Aloha is spectacular, EIC is down-home.

No.

Aloha is spectacular, EIC is rock-bottom.

Wed May 27, 2009 8:45 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
midnightx wrote:Freddy, it wasn't complex. Both Elvis and Tom Parker were strapped for cash in 1977. There was an unbelievable amount of financial pressure on both men. The consistent touring revenue was all that was barely keeping them afloat. The TV Special was an easy and simple way to increase their revenue stream with little work involved. No new set-lists, no rehearsals, no special wardrobe requirements, no creative marketing campaigns, etc were involved. The logistics of filming were handled by CBS. A very easy, cool $750,000. Tom Parker was very well aware of Elvis deteriorating condition as a human and performer. The deal was made because it was so easy on all levels - no real challange was involved by anyone and that was the whole point.

I know you think you're being all deep and clever and superior in repeatedly pointing out it was only done for money, but, in my opinion, you're missing the woods for the trees -- which tends to happen when one is blinded by fanatical hatred.

There is nothing deep, clever or superior about the fact that EIC was developed simply for a cash infusion. Sadly, it is a point that needs to be addressed time and time again as too many uninformed fans believe the special was created with creative and good intentions on Tom Parker's part hoping to inspire and challange Elvis. It is baffling that some of you guys continue to have such passion and support for one of Elvis' most tragic professional projects - a project that his artistic legacy continues to try to recover from 30+ years later.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:Aloha is spectacular, EIC is down-home.

No.

Aloha is spectacular, EIC is rock-bottom.

Bingo!

Thu May 28, 2009 8:33 am

EIC is not Elvis' shining moment, but neither is it an unmitigated disaster as some 'experts' here insist. And Tom Parker was not the devil incarnate. He simply worked from the perspective he understood, which was the almighty dollar. Musical or artistic creativity was not something he understood - that was Elvis' side of the partnership. Elvis knew as little about the value of a dollar as Parker knew about music.

Thu May 28, 2009 9:28 am

Sadly the manager's obsession with the almighty $ meant several very bad artistic decisions were forced upon the performer

Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 am

rickeap wrote:Sadly the manager's obsession with the almighty $ meant several very bad artistic decisions were forced upon the performer

Was the artist coerced or bribed into going along with these decisions? Did he not have the power to veto these bad decisions?

Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Freddy Freeman wrote:As for being uninformed, may I suggest that you read Peter Guralnick's Careless Love, pp. 635-636? You'll find that it paraphrases rather neatly the arguments given by The Colonel to anyone who questioned the CBS deal: the money was the main thing (on that we all agree, midnightx), but Parker also reasoned that 'Elvis needed a challenge and would not fail to rise to this one[...and] it was Elvis, not he, who wanted the show'.

I am very well aware of Guralnick's work. We've already gone over Parker's propaganda, and do you think Guralnick believes it? Of course Tom Parker would defend the booking of a television special - why would he admit that his client was in no shape or condition to film a television special? Tom Parker was very well aware of Elvis' deteriorating condition and had to have known that there was no way Elvis could "rise" to this "challenge" - and the results spoke volumes. Try to apply some critical thinking on this subject or just keep living the dream in Fantasy Land, it is your choice.

Thu May 28, 2009 9:21 pm

The project was indeed a mis-calculation on all fronts. Elvis could not even rise out of bed on his own by 1977. The prior 16+ months should have been proof that he was long past "rising to the challange". On the cash front, Elvis, Colonel Tom and even his father are to blame for this one. No tax deductions on your IRS returns, no financial planning, etc.. As much as I am a fan, the sad part of the entire Elvis story is more often than not he took the easy way / middle of the road path to the end result. Outside of How Great Thou Art, My Way, Trying To Get To You and You Gave Me A Mountain, their is nothing else on the CD that I would ever play to a non-fan. And I certainly would not add the video. Even my 6 year old son said to me "what is wrong with Elvis" when the My Way song was playing on the TV.
EIC does need to be forgotten, just as Harum Scarum, Easy Come, Easy Go and Kissin Cousins do. Complete crap and the waste of an enormous talent.

Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 pm

Jeff H wrote:The project was indeed a mis-calculation on all fronts. Elvis could not even rise out of bed on his own by 1977. The prior 16+ months should have been proof that he was long past "rising to the challange". On the cash front, Elvis, Colonel Tom and even his father are to blame for this one. No tax deductions on your IRS returns, no financial planning, etc.. As much as I am a fan, the sad part of the entire Elvis story is more often than not he took the easy way / middle of the road path to the end result. Outside of How Great Thou Art, My Way, Trying To Get To You and You Gave Me A Mountain, their is nothing else on the CD that I would ever play to a non-fan. And I certainly would not add the video. Even my 6 year old son said to me "what is wrong with Elvis" when the My Way song was playing on the TV.
EIC does need to be forgotten, just as Harum Scarum, Easy Come, Easy Go and Kissin Cousins do. Complete crap and the waste of an enormous talent.

i´m fine with everything you said, jeff, except for the penultimate sentence.
every play needs a final act, every book a final chapter. that´s exactly what "e.i.c." is.
but,
they say opinions are like a*rseholes ...

welcome to the community!

Thu May 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Jeff H wrote:Elvis could not even rise out of bed on his own by 1977.

That's a sweeping statement !

I prefer to believe that [maybe] there were times when he couldn't during that year..............

Thu May 28, 2009 10:28 pm

ColinB wrote:I prefer to believe that [maybe] there were times when he couldn't during that year..............

I'm betting that's what he meant. Sometimes points can be made without being overly literal.

I understood it.

Thu May 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Jeff H wrote:The project was indeed a mis-calculation on all fronts. Elvis could not even rise out of bed on his own by 1977. The prior 16+ months should have been proof that he was long past "rising to the challange". On the cash front, Elvis, Colonel Tom and even his father are to blame for this one. No tax deductions on your IRS returns, no financial planning, etc.. As much as I am a fan, the sad part of the entire Elvis story is more often than not he took the easy way / middle of the road path to the end result. Outside of How Great Thou Art, My Way, Trying To Get To You and You Gave Me A Mountain, their is nothing else on the CD that I would ever play to a non-fan. And I certainly would not add the video. Even my 6 year old son said to me "what is wrong with Elvis" when the My Way song was playing on the TV.

This is a terrific post.

Thank you!

Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 am

Jeff H...

The project was indeed a mis-calculation on all fronts.

Not all fronts, in my opinion.

Elvis could not even rise out of bed on his own by 1977.

Reads like a very ignorant statement from where I'm sat.

The prior 16+ months should have been proof that he was long past "rising to the challange".

Elvis was in trouble, but he could still mete out the goods -- the 1976 New Year's Eve show being a prime example.

On the cash front, Elvis, Colonel Tom and even his father are to blame for this one. No tax deductions on your IRS returns, no financial planning, etc.. As much as I am a fan, the sad part of the entire Elvis story is more often than not he took the easy way / middle of the road path to the end result.

That much is true.

Outside of How Great Thou Art, My Way, Trying To Get To You and You Gave Me A Mountain, their is nothing else on the CD that I would ever play to a non-fan. And I certainly would not add the video. Even my 6 year old son said to me "what is wrong with Elvis" when the My Way song was playing on the TV.

To each, their own. But I think you're being a bit willfully harsh to suit an agenda.

Personally, I also love "C.C. Rider", "Are You Lonesome Tonight?", "Hawaiian Wedding Song", "I Really Don't Want To Know" and .... last but not least .... "Unchained Melody".

Comparing EIC to his movies is very flawed -- and so, therefore, is your conclusion.

That's my take, anyway. I wish people could learn tolerance.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:42 am

We don't really know EP's true financial situation, or the Colonel's - I don't recall ever seeing any P&Ls, or tax returns being published for that period of time. If they're availabe please post copies.
I've read the Colonel responded when asked about why he allowed EIC to happen, that when CBS approached him, he demanded a figure he thought the broadcaster could not/would not meet. When they agreed to the million dollars, he didn't want to lose face and say no. True or not who really knows?
But EIC may have come about from the Colonel's perspective like the West's book What Happened - perhaps it was his (insensitive) way of waking Elvis up? Just an idea.
Any true documentation supporting the real reason why CBS were allowed to film EIC for broadcasting uploaded here would be appreciated, because all other comments at the moment are purely speculative.

Fri May 29, 2009 2:00 am

Cryogenic wrote:I wish people could learn tolerance.

Tolerance of what? That the truth hurts? Let us know when you get there.

Jim Dandy wrote:We don't really know EP's true financial situation, or the Colonel's ...

Try Careless Love (Guralnick), The Colonel (Nash) or The Death Of Elvis (Cole, Thompson) to read some cold, hard facts. It was a shock to learn that Elvis had to use Graceland as collateral in the last few years in order to pay off some debts. He should have been worth a LOT more by then.

Fri May 29, 2009 2:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:I wish people could learn tolerance.

Tolerance of what? That the truth hurts? Let us know when you get there.

Your rampaging tendencies cause you to lose net friends, "Doc". I hope you talk to people with slightly less contempt in "real life".

By the way, for someone who once excoriated me for using the word "freak" against another person, I see you've been pretty loose with that word yourself, recently:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45616&p=625420&hilit=freak#p625420

And whaddaya know? It's over an Elvis Presley fan featured in EIC.

Again, tolerance might be the way to go.

Fri May 29, 2009 2:45 am

Context, my boy, context.

Please read -->
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/context

Fri May 29, 2009 3:53 am

!
Cryogenic:
Courtesy and Civility are Mandatory! Personal attacks of any kind are not tolerated.

Fri May 29, 2009 4:01 am

Doc, people are very tolerant of your behaviour on this board!