Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: EIC CBS broadcast

Fri May 29, 2009 4:40 am

I think I can understand both viewpoints when it comes to EIC.In spite of Elvis' condition I think I know what still draws many fans to admire the footage.I too still see glimpses of the Elvis everybody wants to remember.That magic sparkle in his eyes appears here and there.His voice can still reel you in.He had just to much talent for it to just completely vanish.He always had something special about him.Even at the end I think.The fans of that special will always have their own emotions towards Elvis influencing the way they think of it.That's not a bad thing either.It's just part of being a fan.Elvis' loyal fan base always stuck by him,they still do.It's all part of the Presley mystique.Just before I got on the PC I watched the Aloha dvd.It had been a while.Obviously the comparison of that to EIC is shocking.That's why I can understand those who want to wish EIC away.EIC pretty much represnts a worst case scenario for our guy.In spite of the few good things I can point out,it's still a train wreck.The transformation is just brutal.I never mean to knock Elvis.The guy gave the world so much.He certainly deserved a better and more fitting farewell than EIC.I dont think it's far fetched to say it's a video document of the greatest freefall in music history.

Fri May 29, 2009 5:29 am

rickeap wrote:Doc, people are very tolerant of your behaviour on this board!

They are very tolerant of all members who follow the guidelines, as I do.

Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 am

jak wrote:EIC pretty much represnts a worst case scenario for our guy.In spite of the few good things I can point out,it's still a train wreck.The transformation is just brutal.I never mean to knock Elvis.The guy gave the world so much.He certainly deserved a better and more fitting farewell than EIC.I dont think it's far fetched to say it's a video document of the greatest freefall in music history.

Well said.

Fri May 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Some of the movies Elvis made are just as embarrasing and EIC. The music in both is less than stellar, and shows a star far from his best. So how is this a flawed comparison? They are all lacking any artistic merit! EIC shows an artist trying his best, but unable to deliver the "goods" to the crowd in most instances. If I showed up for work in his condition, I would be fired, so why should Elvis get a pass? The people paid good money to see a great show and I do not think EIC is a great show. Elvis should have shown more respect to his fans, but was too far gone by 1977. As for the Dec. '76 shows, they are also overrated. The best of '76, yes, but a pale comparison to even the summer shows of '75. I have the Birmingham and Pittsburgh shows, and they still show an artist far removed from his glory days. The truth hurts most times, but Elvis in '76 and '77 was a disaster on most days. Play these concerts to a non-fan (if you dare) and see what they say as they are not wearing the "rose colored glasses".

Fri May 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Jeff H wrote:EIC shows an artist trying his best, but unable to deliver the "goods" to the crowd in most instances. If I showed up for work in his condition, I would be fired, so why should Elvis get a pass? The people paid good money to see a great show and I do not think EIC is a great show. Elvis should have shown more respect to his fans, but was too far gone by 1977.

As for the Dec. '76 shows, they are also overrated. The best of '76, yes, but a pale comparison to even the summer shows of '75. I have the Birmingham and Pittsburgh shows, and they still show an artist far removed from his glory days.

The truth hurts most times, but Elvis in '76 and '77 was a disaster on most days. Play these concerts to a non-fan (if you dare) and see what they say as they are not wearing the "rose colored glasses".

Careful, Jeff H, you are ruffling some very fragile egos.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jeff H wrote:EIC shows an artist trying his best, but unable to deliver the "goods" to the crowd in most instances. If I showed up for work in his condition, I would be fired, so why should Elvis get a pass? The people paid good money to see a great show and I do not think EIC is a great show. Elvis should have shown more respect to his fans, but was too far gone by 1977.

As for the Dec. '76 shows, they are also overrated. The best of '76, yes, but a pale comparison to even the summer shows of '75. I have the Birmingham and Pittsburgh shows, and they still show an artist far removed from his glory days.

The truth hurts most times, but Elvis in '76 and '77 was a disaster on most days. Play these concerts to a non-fan (if you dare) and see what they say as they are not wearing the "rose colored glasses".

Careful, Jeff H, you are ruffling some very fragile egos.

That is an understatement. Jeff appears to be a brave man.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:27 pm

I want to get along with everyone, but I am allowed to be disappointed in what Elvis became and his lack of professionalism in his final years. I don't really mind that Elvis gained wait, we all do, especially when you hit 40. I have to work twice as hard now to maintain the same weight I had at 25. I enjoy the summer '75 shows because Elvis seems to be in good spirits and vocally on his game. Does it matter if he weighed 200lbs vs. 175lbs? Not to me, as long as he satisfied his clientele. I think he did that in those shows.
Oct '74 and '76-'77 are a different matter. I would never play these shows to anyone who is not a fan, but will without hesitation pull out any show from '69 thru the summer of '74. Not all are great in '73-'74, but they are satisfying and the earlier shows stand alone.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 pm

[quote="Jeff H"]The project was indeed a mis-calculation on all fronts. Elvis could not even rise out of bed on his own by 1977. The prior 16+ months should have been proof that he was long past "rising to the challange". On the cash front, Elvis, Colonel Tom and even his father are to blame for this one. No tax deductions on your IRS returns, no financial planning, etc..

Very sad but true...

Fri May 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Jeff H wrote:I want to get along with everyone, but I am allowed to be disappointed in what Elvis became and his lack of professionalism in his final years. I don't really mind that Elvis gained wait, we all do, especially when you hit 40. I have to work twice as hard now to maintain the same weight I had at 25. I enjoy the summer '75 shows because Elvis seems to be in good spirits and vocally on his game. Does it matter if he weighed 200lbs vs. 175lbs? Not to me, as long as he satisfied his clientele. I think he did that in those shows.
Oct '74 and '76-'77 are a different matter. I would never play these shows to anyone who is not a fan, but will without hesitation pull out any show from '69 thru the summer of '74. Not all are great in '73-'74, but they are satisfying and the earlier shows stand alone.

You raise another valid point. Back when Tucson '76 was released, I had it delivered to my work address so I could give it an immediate spin (hey, it was a big deal at the time because it was FTD's first soundboard and the first BMG soundboard material issued since the Silver box set). A co-worker saw the CD cover on my desk and asked if she could give it a spin. I reluctantly agreed because I knew it was a subpar show. Once the show kicked in, she was blown away at how bad it was and then actually laughed when "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" fired up. She was a casual Elvis fan, enjoyed various tracks from all his eras, but was astounded at the horrid performance quality of this 70's show, especially considering his reputation as a great performer. The blindly devoted simply do not get that Elvis' live material from 1976/1977 is in many cases detrimental to his artistic legacy.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Ouch, that's a telling anecdote.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:50 pm

After the summer '75 shows, it's as if Elvis (the performer) is another person entirely. People I know who saw the Tuscaloosa shows in '75 and '76 could not believe the decline in the quality of the show...

Fri May 29, 2009 10:51 pm

It's heartbreaking, really.

Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Yeah.You gotta feel sad for Elvis at this time. A very rapid drop in health. Stuff caught up with him really fast.

Sat May 30, 2009 2:11 am

I will stand up for the 12-76 tour at very least. Call it over rated, or lesser in comparison, but it is not bad in any way. I think he is singing very well, with a good set and a good attitude. Ok so his face is a little puffy but I don't think he looks ill. I've heard Vegas shows from 8-71 that are much less exciting musically. Of course they are much more intense visually, but Elvis' commitment was not as present. I have played the Pittsburgh video and LP to many people over the years. All are impressed. It was hardly his best tour ever, but it was very good. I would go as far as to say it stands up against any post 1972 tour or engagement. It's arguably not the very best of the era, but it's up there.
Mike
Last edited by Mike Eder on Sun May 31, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 30, 2009 4:00 pm

True Mike. Elvis was giving 100% on the December '76 tour.

I would take Pittsburgh over any Vegas/Tahoe show from 1971 that we have had released so far. '71 seems so lacklustre - almost auto pilot at times.

I am sure the early 70's "homers" will have a fit, but that's my preference.

Sat May 30, 2009 7:39 pm

BIGREDG wrote:True Mike. Elvis was giving 100% on the December '76 tour.

I would take Pittsburgh over any Vegas/Tahoe show from 1971 that we have had released so far. '71 seems so lacklustre - almost auto pilot at times.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - it's too bad the CBS cameras weren't in Pittsburg. Did Parker think the prospect of a tv show in summer 77 would motivate Elvis to get himself in reasonable shape like he was in Pittsburg? Probably not, but I can't completely rule out the possibility.

Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:True Mike. Elvis was giving 100% on the December '76 tour.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - it's too bad the CBS cameras weren't in Pittsburg. Did Parker think the prospect of a tv show in summer 77 would motivate Elvis to get himself in reasonable shape like he was in Pittsburg? Probably not, but I can't completely rule out the possibility.

If the CBS cameras caught Pittsburgh, clearly EIC would have had better results, but it still would have failed in comparison to what had come before.

Sun May 31, 2009 5:56 pm

mike Edwards wrote:Yeah.You gotta feel sad for Elvis at this time. A very rapid drop in health. Stuff caught up with him really fast.

The transformation of Elvis Presley from 1975 to 1976, (I mean absolutely no disrespect his memory), is horrifying, actually.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 am

minkahed wrote:
mike Edwards wrote:Yeah.You gotta feel sad for Elvis at this time. A very rapid drop in health. Stuff caught up with him really fast.

The transformation of Elvis Presley from 1975 to 1976, (I mean absolutely no disrespect his memory), is horrifying, actually.

Yes it is, both professionally and personally. It is a very tragic story. Sadly he was never able to rebound.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 am

Mike Eder wrote:I will stand up for the 12-76 tour ... it is not bad in any way.

Mike, your devotion is very sweet, but this declaration has no connection with reality.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 am

midnightx wrote:...The blindly devoted simply do not get that Elvis' live material from 1976/1977 is in many cases detrimental to his artistic legacy.

In general terms, I agree with this statement. It seems we tend to rate Elvis's later shows with a "qualifier"--in other words, we say, "For 1976, it was a good show..." when, in reality, most (if not all) pale greatly by comparison to those which were performed from 1969-75.

Wed May 18, 2011 4:41 pm

javierTCB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Some here elevate our hero's June 1977 appearance and abilities to 1969-1970 levels. It's quite odd, to say the least.

All I see is an unqualified pain, and a sadness that cannot be muted by pancake make-up or Charlie Hodge's ever-present laughter.

I agree totally!

I'LL SECOND THAT!!!!

Wed May 18, 2011 9:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's heartbreaking, really.

It is. We should look with empathy at the final years but at the same time refuse to put on rose colored glasses.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:44 pm

The Colonel wanted more money. It's documented that the CBS TV special was the first time he aplied the 50/50 percent on the contract signed with Elvis in January 1976 regarding tour profits. He kept the records and intended in the future tours to recover his 50 % share. So in the August tour and in late autumn 1977 at Hilton Pavilion Las Vegas the good old Colonel would rise his money dramatically.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 am

There are many aspects to "Elvis In Concert", Carp. The sad state that Elvis was in was certainly a huge one. But if you fixate on that, then you might miss, for example some great vocal performances. I agree that the overall picture is a very bleak one, a foreboding forest, but that doesn't mean a person can't find fascination in the study of the various individual trees.

Or to put it another way...there are many different legitimate points of view that may happen to be different from yours.