Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

EIC CBS broadcast

Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 pm

How many times was emited "Elvis in Concert" CBS broadcast?
Only one time in October 3, 1977? There´s no a second broadcast?

Thanks friends! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: EIC CBS broadcast

Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm

Wasn't once enough? Maybe some EIC enthusiasts can breakdown the details....

Tue May 12, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm pretty sure this thing aired twice in the states. Fairly close together if I recall. Don't take my word for it though.

I do remember not being able to wait to see it on October 3, 1977. All week before the special aired, they would show the same clip over and over during commercial breaks. "My 3rd movie was called Jailhouse Rock."
I sat in a trance while watching it that night. I loved it and couldn't get enough.

My, how things have changed in nearly thirty-two years.

Tue May 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Rob wrote:I'm pretty sure this thing aired twice in the states.

Me too!
Great memories. Thanks Rob :D

Wed May 13, 2009 12:00 am

javierTCB wrote:How many times was emited "Elvis in Concert" CBS broadcast?

"Elvis In Concert" / CBS Television

Monday, October 3, 1977 -- 8:00 - 9:00 PM (Original Air Date)
... it preempted regular programming "Young Dan'l Boone"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Dan'l_Boone

Sunday, May 7, 1978 -- 8:00 - 9:00 PM (Rebroadcast)
... it preempted regular programming "Rhoda" and "On Our Own"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Our_Own_(1977_TV_series)

-----

"Elvis In Concert" has never been shown since.

But the damage was already done.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 13, 2009 1:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Elvis In Concert" / CBS Television

Monday, October 3, 1977 -- 8:00 - 9:00 PM (Original Air Date)
... it preempted regular programming "Young Dan'l Boone"

Sunday, May 7, 1978 -- 8:00 - 9:00 PM (Rebroadcast)
... it preempted regular programming "Rhoda" and "On Our Own"

"Elvis In Concert" has never been screened since -- and thank Jesus for that.

Trust the doc -- he knows!

I knew! I have two different copies.

My first copy of EIC in which the actors of the “Young Dan'l Boone" introducing the Elvis TV Special Broadcast. The program was to sponsor a new Chevy Deeler 1978 of Chevrolet company.

Thanks for the research and accuracy of your information.

As always…I trust in Doc! :D

Wed May 13, 2009 2:14 am

javierTCB wrote:
My first copy of EIC in which the actors of the “Young Dan'l Boone" introducing the Elvis TV Special Broadcast. The program was to sponsor a new Chevy Deeler 1978 of Chevrolet company.

How's the quality on that one? If I am not mistaken that's the one with the commercials included, right? I've been looking for a really good copy of that particular version for awhile now. I have it on vcd but would like to get it on dvd and in better quality if possible....

Wed May 13, 2009 1:28 pm

MattConner wrote:How's the quality on that one? If I am not mistaken that's the one with the commercials included, right? I've been looking for a really good copy of that particular version for awhile now. I have it on vcd but would like to get it on dvd and in better quality if possible....

Yes, contains commercials.

The image quality is good, not very good. I think that new technology has done a good job on the restoration of images. The news DVD copies are little better over the images recorded for fans in october 1977 and may 1978. :)

Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm

The broadcast of EIC I have is the Dutch broadcast from 1978. I have attached some screenshots. It has been transferred from Betamax (remember that?) to DVD.
Picture and sound quality are terrific, after all those years.

Best regards,
Frank.

vlcsnap-46831.png

vlcsnap-47166.png

vlcsnap-49019.png

vlcsnap-50606.png

vlcsnap-51865.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Ouch.

Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Frank R. wrote:The broadcast of EIC I have is the Dutch broadcast from 1978. I have attached some screenshots. It has been transferred from Betamax (remember that?) to DVD.

Best regards,
Frank.

vlcsnap-46831.png

vlcsnap-47166.png

vlcsnap-49019.png

vlcsnap-50606.png

vlcsnap-51865.png

Excellent quality snaps, thanks!

Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Frank R. wrote:The broadcast of EIC I have is the Dutch broadcast from 1978. I have attached some screenshots. It has been transferred from Betamax (remember that?) to DVD.

The level quality of Betamax is excellent. For me insurmountable and better than VHS. The copy was made in PAL (Phase Alternating Line)? :D

The PAL system has better resolution than NTSC (National Television System Commitee). The European system has more pixels. :roll:
Last edited by javierTCB on Thu May 14, 2009 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 14, 2009 12:57 am

Great screen shots screaming for blu-ray treatment.

Thu May 14, 2009 1:04 am

Yup, there went my late night snack. Just what I needed.

Thank you!

Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 am

Thanks javier for the info about this video.
Frank, I agree, the dutch version is very good. I think though the u.k. version is the best I have seen so far. There's a few different versions out there that are quite good honestly....

Thu May 14, 2009 2:26 am

It's always so sad to look at CBS 1977 footage or screen shots.

Why is this not a universal view on FECC? The man was in such a dark, dark place.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:36 am

And therein lies the fascination. It’s human nature.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:41 am

Oh, but it's not simply fascination.

Some here elevate our hero's June 1977 appearance and abilities to 1969-1970 levels. It's quite odd, to say the least.

All I see is an unqualified pain, and a sadness that cannot be muted by pancake make-up or Charlie Hodge's ever-present laughter.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:42 am

MattConner wrote:Thanks javier for the info about this video

YW my friend :D

Thu May 14, 2009 2:58 am

MattConner wrote:Frank, I agree, the dutch version is very good. I think though the u.k. version is the best I have seen so far. There's a few different versions out there that are quite good honestly....

The UK and Dutch version was emited in PAL system. That is why the image is better.

The PAL system has better resolution than NTSC (National Television System Commitee). The European system has more pixels.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4687633_diffe ... c-pal.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-dif ... nd-pal.htm

Thu May 14, 2009 3:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Some here elevate our hero's June 1977 appearance and abilities to 1969-1970 levels. It's quite odd, to say the least.

All I see is an unqualified pain, and a sadness that cannot be muted by pancake make-up or Charlie Hodge's ever-present laughter.

I agree totally!

Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 am

I'll tell you what the fascination is, Doc, plain and simple: it's Elvis! Yes, he was overweight, not in good health, but he's still Elvis, and it's the last time we get to see him. I'm not saying this is Comeback Special Part Two, or That's the Way it Is Again, but it IS Elvis, and for some of us that's enough.

Thu May 14, 2009 9:00 am

I got to agree with Lonely Summer on that....
javier, thanks again for letting us know why the quality is so much better on the uk/dutch version :D

Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 am

Rob wrote:I'm pretty sure this thing aired twice in the states. Fairly close together if I recall. Don't take my word for it though.

I do remember not being able to wait to see it on October 3, 1977. All week before the special aired, they would show the same clip over and over during commercial breaks. "My 3rd movie was called Jailhouse Rock."
I sat in a trance while watching it that night. I loved it and couldn't get enough.

My, how things have changed in nearly thirty-two years.

I also remember awaiting its broadcast with much anticipation in the weeks leading up to October 3, 1977.

Watched it with my entire family in the living room.

We certainly couldn't get enough of our hero back in those days.

Things sure were a great, great deal different.

(I also remember that very advertisement - as posted in javier's attachment.)

----------

Ahhh, the memories (good & bad).

All my best,
N8
... just a fan ....

Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 am

MattConner wrote:javier, thanks again for letting us know why the quality is so much better on the uk/dutch version :D

yw my friend :smt006