Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 am

Twilightx wrote:Here's my list:

- Omaha - June 19, 1977
- Hampton Roads - August 1, 1976
- Tuscaloosa - August 30, 1976
- College Park - September 28, 1974
- Las Vegas - September 3, 1973 CS

Where's Houston - August 28, 1976 AS?


Ben wrote:
Xaykev wrote:That made me put Twilightx on the foes-list, together with midnightx.

So you have one person on the foes list.

Once again, you are mistaken.

Once again, check with Admin if you doubt me.

Please quit making these accusations. It's wrong.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 4:37 am

brian wrote:... I thought I would start a thread about the best concerts Elvis gave after the 68 t.v. special ... Did Elvis give any truly great concerts in the 70's and which one's were they?

We'll assume your topic means to include the shows of July-August 1969.

In that case, nearly every performance from July 1969 to November 1970 is worthy. Elvis was on top of the world in almost every respect, and the band had to fight to keep up with his energy and enthusiasm.


Image

Elvis Presley, "One Night"
Houston Astrodome, Houston, TX
Friday, February 27, 1970 OS



Of known in-line recordings, these are awesome -->

August 21, 1969 MS -- Viva Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 23, 1969 MS -- At The International (FTD)
August 26, 1969 MS -- All Shook Up (FTD)

January 26, 1970 OS -- Opening Night: January 1970 (Madison)
February 15, 1970 MS -- Polk Salad Annie (FTD)
February 23, 1970 CS -- Closing Night: February 1970 (Madison)


August 10, 1970 OS -- One Night In Vegas (FTD)
August 11, 1970 MS -- Live In Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 12, 1970 MS -- That's The Way It Is SE, CD 2 (BMG)

Of known off-line recordings, these are wonderful in quality and performance -->

August 19, 1970 DS -- Double Dynamite, CD 1 (Rock Legends)
August 19, 1970 MS -- Double Dynamite, CD 2 (Rock Legends)

August 20, 1970 DS -- A Dinner Bell In Vegas (Memory)
August 20, 1970 MS -- A Bright Midnight With Elvis (Memory)

August 21, 1970 DS -- From Vegas To Macon (Rock Legends)
August 21, 1970 MS -- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (Audionics)

There you are -- fifteen top-notch shows by the greatest singer of the 20th century, doing hits old and new with vigor.

After 1970, Elvis would scales the heights still -- Boston 1971, Hampton and MSG 1972, Portland 1973, Long Island 1975, and others -- but shows generally began to get sloppy, and tempos rushed, especially on the older numbers.

Presley didn't treat the first decade so harshly in 1969 and 1970.

And that's a fact.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 5:56 am

I would also add the August 22, 1969 (ds) from FTD's edition of In Person to the Doc's list. A fantastic show.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 7:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:... I thought I would start a thread about the best concerts Elvis gave after the 68 t.v. special ... Did Elvis give any truly great concerts in the 70's and which one's were they?

We'll assume your topic means to include the shows of July-August 1969.

In that case, nearly every performance from July 1969 to November 1970 is worthy. Elvis was on top of the world in almost every respect, and the band had to fight to keep up with his energy and enthusiasm.


Image

Elvis Presley, "One Night"
Houston Astrodome, Houston, TX
Friday, February 27, 1970 OS



Of known in-line recordings, these are awesome -->

August 21, 1969 MS -- Viva Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 23, 1969 MS -- At The International (FTD)
August 26, 1969 MS -- All Shook Up (FTD)

January 26, 1970 OS -- Opening Night: January 1970 (Madison)
February 15, 1970 MS -- Polk Salad Annie (FTD)
February 23, 1970 CS -- Closing Night: February 1970 (Madison)


August 10, 1970 OS -- One Night In Vegas (FTD)
August 11, 1970 MS -- Live In Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 12, 1970 MS -- That's The Way It Is SE, CD 2 (BMG)

Of known off-line recordings, these are wonderful in quality and performance -->

August 19, 1970 DS -- Double Dynamite, CD 1 (Rock Legends)
August 19, 1970 MS -- Double Dynamite, CD 2 (Rock Legends)

August 20, 1970 DS -- A Dinner Bell In Vegas (Memory)
August 20, 1970 MS -- A Bright Midnight With Elvis (Memory)

August 21, 1970 DS -- From Vegas To Macon (Rock Legends)
August 21, 1970 MS -- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (Audionics)

There you are -- fifteen top-notch shows by the greatest singer of the 20th century, doing hits old and new with vigor.

After 1970, Elvis would scales the heights still -- Boston 1971, Hampton and MSG 1972, Portland 1973, Long Island 1975, and others -- but shows generally began to get sloppy, and tempos rushed, especially on the older numbers.

Presley didn't treat the first decade so harshly in 1969 and 1970.

And that's a fact.


Interesting that Portland 73 is being mentioned as one of the best concerts Elvis gave in the 70's
That show is never really talked about.

What does everyone think of the Aloha show? I know fans are divided on it

I know it's less rock n' roll than the 69 shows and the 68 special but to me Elvis is putting on a singing clinic in that show my only complaint is if he was going to bother with singing Blue Suede Shoes and Hound dog he shouldn't have rushed them it was for t.v. after all and when Elvis does that it takes away from the show imo.

Still his singing is very good on ''What Now My Love'', ''It's Over'', You Gave me a moutain, American Trilogy. I'm So Lonesome I could cry, Welcome to my World, I'll Remember you.

He also does a good job on ''Fever'', Burning Love, C.C. Rider and I love the 70's arrangement on Big hunk o' love

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 am

Back In Portland 1973 is one of my favorite boot LP"s. An amazing show. I find the 1973 Vegas shows to be average on the whole, but the tour shows from that year really kick.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Back In Portland has NEVER budged out of my top 5 Elvis CD's funnily enough! I must have played it over a thousand times over the years lol. If I soundboard emerged, I'd probaby still prefer the audience recording. I like my concert CD's to have an atmousphere. Sound Boards generally sound like a concert on the moon....

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 pm

brian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:... I thought I would start a thread about the best concerts Elvis gave after the 68 t.v. special ... Did Elvis give any truly great concerts in the 70's and which one's were they?

We'll assume your topic means to include the shows of July-August 1969.

In that case, nearly every performance from July 1969 to November 1970 is worthy. Elvis was on top of the world in almost every respect, and the band had to fight to keep up with his energy and enthusiasm.


Image

Elvis Presley, "One Night"
Houston Astrodome, Houston, TX
Friday, February 27, 1970 OS



Of known in-line recordings, these are awesome -->

August 21, 1969 MS -- Viva Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 23, 1969 MS -- At The International (FTD)
August 26, 1969 MS -- All Shook Up (FTD)

January 26, 1970 OS -- Opening Night: January 1970 (Madison)
February 15, 1970 MS -- Polk Salad Annie (FTD)
February 23, 1970 CS -- Closing Night: February 1970 (Madison)


August 10, 1970 OS -- One Night In Vegas (FTD)
August 11, 1970 MS -- Live In Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 12, 1970 MS -- That's The Way It Is SE, CD 2 (BMG)

Of known off-line recordings, these are wonderful in quality and performance -->

August 19, 1970 DS -- Double Dynamite, CD 1 (Rock Legends)
August 19, 1970 MS -- Double Dynamite, CD 2 (Rock Legends)

August 20, 1970 DS -- A Dinner Bell In Vegas (Memory)
August 20, 1970 MS -- A Bright Midnight With Elvis (Memory)

August 21, 1970 DS -- From Vegas To Macon (Rock Legends)
August 21, 1970 MS -- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (Audionics)

There you are -- fifteen top-notch shows by the greatest singer of the 20th century, doing hits old and new with vigor.

After 1970, Elvis would scales the heights still -- Boston 1971, Hampton and MSG 1972, Portland 1973, Long Island 1975, and others -- but shows generally began to get sloppy, and tempos rushed, especially on the older numbers.

Presley didn't treat the first decade so harshly in 1969 and 1970.

And that's a fact.


Interesting that Portland 73 is being mentioned as one of the best concerts Elvis gave in the 70's
That show is never really talked about.

What does everyone think of the Aloha show? I know fans are divided on it

I know it's less rock n' roll than the 69 shows and the 68 special but to me Elvis is putting on a singing clinic in that show my only complaint is if he was going to bother with singing Blue Suede Shoes and Hound dog he shouldn't have rushed them it was for t.v. after all and when Elvis does that it takes away from the show imo.

Still his singing is very good on ''What Now My Love'', ''It's Over'', You Gave me a moutain, American Trilogy. I'm So Lonesome I could cry, Welcome to my World, I'll Remember you.

He also does a good job on ''Fever'', Burning Love, C.C. Rider and I love the 70's arrangement on Big hunk o' love


I like A Big Hunk O' Love as well from the Aloha show, basically because the band plays well, the sound is great and Elvis is having a little fun, after the tense main show. He's letting his hair down a bit, which suits the song perfectly. In contrast CC Rider and Burning Love sound strained, almost obligatory.

Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes, Love me, and so on at this point were only used to pad out the show, to give it some change of pace and atmosphere, but Elvis wasn't really interested in them anymore. The same goes for most later versions of Love Me Tender, All Shook Up, Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel.
Johnny B. Goode also deteriorated as the years went along, sadly becoming a staple of the intros.

On the other hand, some of his 60s classics like Are You Lonesome Tonight, Little Sister, Big Boss Man were usually treated more seriously. I think Elvis realized his voice had bettered, had matured by the early 60s and he considered these to be superior recordings to what he did in the 1950s.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 7:56 pm

James27 wrote:
brian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:... I thought I would start a thread about the best concerts Elvis gave after the 68 t.v. special ... Did Elvis give any truly great concerts in the 70's and which one's were they?

We'll assume your topic means to include the shows of July-August 1969.

In that case, nearly every performance from July 1969 to November 1970 is worthy. Elvis was on top of the world in almost every respect, and the band had to fight to keep up with his energy and enthusiasm.


Image

Elvis Presley, "One Night"
Houston Astrodome, Houston, TX
Friday, February 27, 1970 OS



Of known in-line recordings, these are awesome -->

August 21, 1969 MS -- Viva Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 23, 1969 MS -- At The International (FTD)
August 26, 1969 MS -- All Shook Up (FTD)

January 26, 1970 OS -- Opening Night: January 1970 (Madison)
February 15, 1970 MS -- Polk Salad Annie (FTD)
February 23, 1970 CS -- Closing Night: February 1970 (Madison)


August 10, 1970 OS -- One Night In Vegas (FTD)
August 11, 1970 MS -- Live In Las Vegas, CD 2 (BMG)
August 12, 1970 MS -- That's The Way It Is SE, CD 2 (BMG)

Of known off-line recordings, these are wonderful in quality and performance -->

August 19, 1970 DS -- Double Dynamite, CD 1 (Rock Legends)
August 19, 1970 MS -- Double Dynamite, CD 2 (Rock Legends)

August 20, 1970 DS -- A Dinner Bell In Vegas (Memory)
August 20, 1970 MS -- A Bright Midnight With Elvis (Memory)

August 21, 1970 DS -- From Vegas To Macon (Rock Legends)
August 21, 1970 MS -- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (Audionics)

There you are -- fifteen top-notch shows by the greatest singer of the 20th century, doing hits old and new with vigor.

After 1970, Elvis would scales the heights still -- Boston 1971, Hampton and MSG 1972, Portland 1973, Long Island 1975, and others -- but shows generally began to get sloppy, and tempos rushed, especially on the older numbers.

Presley didn't treat the first decade so harshly in 1969 and 1970.

And that's a fact.


Interesting that Portland 73 is being mentioned as one of the best concerts Elvis gave in the 70's
That show is never really talked about.

What does everyone think of the Aloha show? I know fans are divided on it

I know it's less rock n' roll than the 69 shows and the 68 special but to me Elvis is putting on a singing clinic in that show my only complaint is if he was going to bother with singing Blue Suede Shoes and Hound dog he shouldn't have rushed them it was for t.v. after all and when Elvis does that it takes away from the show imo.

Still his singing is very good on ''What Now My Love'', ''It's Over'', You Gave me a moutain, American Trilogy. I'm So Lonesome I could cry, Welcome to my World, I'll Remember you.

He also does a good job on ''Fever'', Burning Love, C.C. Rider and I love the 70's arrangement on Big hunk o' love


I like A Big Hunk O' Love as well from the Aloha show, basically because the band plays well, the sound is great and Elvis is having a little fun, after the tense main show. He's letting his hair down a bit, which suits the song perfectly. In contrast CC Rider and Burning Love sound strained, almost obligatory.

Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes, Love me, and so on at this point were only used to pad out the show, to give it some change of pace and atmosphere..


I haven't seen Aloha in a long time but I remember Burning Love being well performed and I thought C.C. Rider was okay though the best versions are from 1970

Follow up question

What do you think of Aloha as a whole show?

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It's the best Elvis concert of all the 600+ that I've ever heard.

I've heard at least that many shows and the Chicago '72 concert would definitely be in my top ten favorites.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 pm

brian wrote:What do you think of Aloha as a whole show?

A professional outing with a handful of very well executed songs.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 pm

brian, my post lists and annotates 15 shows ... and I get not a single comment from you.

Why is that?

Otherwise ...

brian wrote:I haven't seen Aloha in a long time but I remember Burning Love being well performed and I thought C.C. Rider was okay though the best versions are from 1970 ... Follow up question ... What do you think of Aloha as a whole show?

The "Aloha" show is a magnificent event in the Presley career, with performances both exceedingly superb ("What Now My Love," "An American Trilogy," "It's Over") and inexcusably sloppy ("Burning Love," "Blue Suede Shoes," "Suspicious Minds").

Thus, it is not consistent enough to possibly be considered among the "greatest."

It is no coincidence that his greatest focus is on the ballads, his worst moments on the rockers. Elvis didn't want the world to see him as "just" a rock and roller.

Watching both concerts just last week, I noticed that "Fever" from the previous day's rehearsal show is a LOT better than the official broadcast. Elvis is more relaxed, more playful, and he SINGS THE BRIDGE! That was a surprise, as I thought he'd dropped it long ago.

Peace out.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:brian, my post lists and annotates 15 shows ... and I get not a single comment from you.

Why is that?





I'm sorry Dr.Carpenter

I appreciate you contributing to my thread with what you consider Elvis best concerts
I also appreciate your opinion on the Aloha show

Thank you

What do you think of the shows from the 1970 U.S. Tour?

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 pm

brian wrote:I appreciate you contributing to my thread with what you consider Elvis best concerts
I also appreciate your opinion on the Aloha show

Thank you

That's it?

Do you OWN any of them? Have you HEARD any of them? Do you LIKE any of them?

Engendering such conversation was one of my goals in contributing to your topic.

brian wrote:What do you think of the shows from the 1970 U.S. Tour?

As already noted, they are undoubtedly stellar, but only a few of the off-line tapes are of good quality.

All things equal, I suspect the February-March Houston shows may well be Elvis at his absolute peak on tour. But the audio quality of each show ranges from average at best to nearly unlistenable.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 10:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:I appreciate you contributing to my thread with what you consider Elvis best concerts
I also appreciate your opinion on the Aloha show

Thank you

That's it?

Do you OWN any of them? Have you HEARD any of them? Do you LIKE any of them?

Engendering such conversation was one of my goals in contributing to your topic.




.


I have the That's the Way it is box set
Several shows during the August 1970 are very good
August 12th Midnight show is on that IIRC. that's a good show

One Night in Vegas I have that the set list is very good and I like it

I feel the setlist during the second Vegas Engagement is better than the third with Elvis performing songs like Sweet Caroline and Polk Salad Annie much better than he did during the third engagement. I'm a fan of this period in particular the second Vegas engagement.

I've heard the MSG shows before not as crazy about it as other fans but it is a good show too

I haven't heard Hampton Roads or Portland 73 but will check them out

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Thu May 14, 2009 11:10 pm

I like the sets for the March 1970 gig slightly better, but I suspect that the two formal 1970 tours were better experiences. It was hard to see Elvis at the 'dome', and the sound quality was comprimised by the venue as well.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Sat May 16, 2009 10:10 am

the greatest singer of the 20th century


This highly subjective statement is so patently absurd that it is not even a debate. The statement should have been preceded by "IMVHO", and I stress the "V".

The statement is so wrong on so many levels.

How many?

Well, consider one that is beyond dispute.

To make such a statement, one would have to be omniscient.

While EP certainly had his talents, denoting him as "the greatest singer" is a matter of taste and perspective.

Becoming overzealous regarding Presley's place in the historical musical landscape is dangerous ground for obvious reasons.

Noting Presley's talents is acceptable, but diminishing the accomplishments and talents of so many other talented human beings by subjugating them to EP is misguided at best.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Sat May 16, 2009 10:29 am

Elvis Presley is the greatest singer in recorded history. That’s a fact. Accept it and learn to love yourself.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 3:38 am

forum wrote:The statement should have been preceded by "IMVHO" ...

I posted the quote, I don't need to be redundant and identify the thoughts are my own.

If you happen to share the login of "Forum" with others, do let us know.

forum wrote:The statement is so wrong on so many levels.

Actually, only you are wrong, on so many levels.

Here are some questions for you, if you can shave off just a modicum of your portentous attitude.

(1) Which artist is the primary subject of this forum?
... clue: his name is part of the title

(2) Is there another singer in the 20th century, besides Elvis Presley, who changed the world?
... clue: the answer is the opposite of Yes

It's not even a matter of "taste" -- the history is clear cut. Go study, and return when you are more knowledgeable. Or be savvy enough to realize you are out of your league on this matter.

Buh-bye!

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
forum wrote:The statement should have been preceded by "IMVHO" ...

I posted the quote, I don't need to be redundant and identify the thoughts are my own.

If you happen to share the login of "Forum" with others, do let us know.

forum wrote:The statement is so wrong on so many levels.

Actually, only you are wrong, on so many levels.

Here are some questions for you, if you can shave off just a modicum of your portentous attitude.

(1) Which artist is the primary subject of this forum?
... clue: his name is part of the title

(2) Is there another singer in the 20th century, besides Elvis Presley, who changed the world?
... clue: the answer is the opposite of Yes

It's not even a matter of "taste" -- the history is clear cut. Go study, and return when you are more knowledgeable. Or be savvy enough to realize you are out of your league on this matter.

Buh-bye!


Doc, you are so, "Da Man" :!:

Rock On Brother. (Insert Hi Five)

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 5:55 am

minkahed wrote:Doc, you are so, "Da Man" :!:

Rock On Brother. (Insert Hi Five)

YOU are very, very kind. Thank you.

Trust the doc!

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 6:02 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Doc, Please explain why you think Burning Love is "sloppy" from the Aloha concert.

Well, for a start, he completely screws up the lyrics. That's the definition of sloppy.

And he had cue cards, too!

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 7:16 am

Did anybody mention this fantastic show from Atlanta July 3, 1973..?
I am looking very forward to this one..coming soon by Rainbow Records..

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 7:52 pm

The Doc
As already noted, they are undoubtedly stellar, but only a few of the off-line tapes are of good quality.

Could you name those "good quality" tapes, please?

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 8:51 pm

I Think Doc MAY be muddling up the Aloha and Aloha Rehearsal version. But I agree that the Aloha version itself is not very strong. Elvis sings "Sharp" on this one and has a very wobbly vocal.

It's a strange thing. The Aloha version is Tight and professional - but sloppy. The On Tour version is sloppy as hell - but tight as Tom Jones' underpants!!!! Sometimes loose is better. The San Antonio vocal is amazing despite all the mistakes.

Re: Greatest 70's concert performances?

Tue May 19, 2009 10:07 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Are you perhaps thinking of the Aloha Rehearsal version? It is sloppy, no doubt.

They are both sloppy -- Elvis was not into the song, despite its status as a #1 single just a few months before.

On January 14, thanks to the cue cards, he gets most of the verses right, but he blows the key line.

And his vocal on each evening is just not as committed as what we hear on the classic RCA single. He did do this one better on the summer 1975 tour, for example.

Burning Love (Dennis Linde)

Lord almighty
I feel my temperature rising
Higher higher
It's burning through to my soul
Girl, girl, girl
You gonna set me on fire
My brain is flaming
I don't know which way to go

And your kisses lift me higher
Like the sweet song of a choir
And you light my morning sky
With burning love

Ooh, ooh, ooh
I feel my temperature rising
Help me, I'm flaming
I must be a hundred and nine
Burning, burning, burning
And nothing can cool me
I just might turn into smoke
But I feel fine

'Cause your kisses lift me higher
Like a sweet song of a choir
And you light my morning sky
With burning love, yeah

It's coming closer
The flames are now licking my body
Won't you help me
I feel like I'm slipping away
It's hard to breathe
And my chest is heaving
Lord have mercy
I'm burning a hole where I lay, yeah

'Cause your kisses lift me higher
Like the sweet song of a choir
You light my morning sky
With burning love

With burning love
Ah, ah, burning love
I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.