Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Sun May 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Kevin3333 wrote:Ftd and sound errors? on no never,just cant be!

You're starting to sound stupid now. Stop embarrassing yourself and give it a rest. If you don't like FTD, don't buy the products. I'm sure even you can figure that out.

Well, maybe not.

Sun May 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Kevin3333 wrote:you dont like me

I'm glad you noticed. I've tried like hell to make it obvious.

Kevin3333 wrote:i dont like you

I'll try to make it through the day knowing that. Now, go listen to an FTD and cry about how bad it sounds.

And most of all -- Have a Happy!

Sun May 10, 2009 8:56 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:To my opinion, Auld Lang Syne does not sound better than the original vinyl release, but the tape that was used for the Rags To Riches release does. Unfortunately, the sound engineering wasn't the best. This needs some improvement, as the result would surely be stunning.

The sound on "Rags To Riches" is, to my ears at least, a little fuller but on the other hand more distant. I agree that if someone did a little work on the tapes, it might sound better, not sure about "stunning", though...
The original vinyl release from '77 still sounds the best to me... Sadly, FTD did not do a good job with this one.

Mon May 11, 2009 1:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No, not William "PoPsie" Randolph.

Wertheimer?

Think 1976, not 1956.

You thought I was serious?

Mon May 11, 2009 9:35 pm

Howdy Elvis Jock and RCSun
Just curious, whats the prob with LP? I've heard some negative comments, however I have dealt with him early on in my collecting and never had any problems. I was wondering, is he basically selling 3rd or 4th generation copies of items he claims to have originals of? Also noticed his live collection features lots of available material.
Just wondering
John

Mon May 11, 2009 11:32 pm

elvisjock wrote:You thought I was serious?

Did you think I was?

Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 pm

This is a sample direct from a 1st generation copy (yes that's correct) of that so-called NEW tape. It's been around for quite a number of years.
The guy who recorded this deserves all the credit and I for one am eternally grateful that he recorded it as he did.
In his footsteps I recorded other artists and made these recordings available to fans of those artists.

Anyway, here is the mp3 sample. It's a direct transfer from the tape copy I had and hasn't been meddled with the sound (no denoising or anything). Transfer was done before 2005. Bitrate 160kpbs otherwise it wouldn't do justice to this superb recording.

http://www.evdmeer.dds.nl/elvis/Ragstoriches.mp3

If I can get flac to work I can flac the whole thing.

edit: In my opinion this recording is the best sounding recording of the Pittsburg show. Better then master of FTD and the other bootlegs.

G.I. Blues wrote:To my opinion, Auld Lang Syne does not sound better than the original vinyl release, but the tape that was used for the Rags To Riches release does. Unfortunately, the sound engineering wasn't the best. This needs some improvement, as the result would surely be stunning.

Mon May 11, 2009 11:43 pm

merry77 wrote:This is a sample direct from a 1st generation copy (yes that's correct) of that so-called NEW tape. It's been around for quite a number of years.
The guy who recorded this deserves all the credit and I for one am eternally grateful that he recorded it as he did.
In his footsteps I recorded other artists and made these recordings available to fans of those artists.

Anyway, here is the mp3 sample. It's a direct transfer from the tape copy I had and hasn't been meddled with the sound (no denoising or anything). Transfer was done before 2005. Bitrate 160kpbs otherwise it wouldn't do justice to this superb recording.

edit: In my opinion this recording is the best sounding recording of the Pittsburg show. Better then master of FTD and the other bootlegs.

hey merry! Can you flac the whole thing with Exact Audio Copy and upload it to megaupload.com?
That would be awesome!

Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 pm

merry77 wrote:This is a sample direct from a 1st generation copy (yes that's correct) of that so-called NEW tape. It's been around for quite a number of years.

This is not sourced from the Herman tape -- issued on the 1977 LP, 1993 CD and FTD set.

Incidentally, the 1993 CD set is mastered from a "needle-drop" of the 1977 LP set.

Did you work with some kind of remix on it?

"B ... Drum roll!"

Elvis really kicks ass on this performance, showing full and complete control of the music.

What happened to that guy?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue May 12, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 11, 2009 11:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis really kicks ass on this performance, showing full and complete control of the music. What happened to that guy?

Once I finish the Guralnik book I'll have the answer to that, I think!

Tue May 12, 2009 12:03 am

Herman is not the guy's name who recorded this and does not do justice to the person who really DID record this.
Credit where credit's due please.
Mister .. Beat .. Drumroll .. C

And no, this has not been remixed in any way shape or form. That's why this is the best recording since this in pure form it's already better then those other releases.

Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 am

merry77 wrote:Herman is not the guy's name who recorded this and does not do justice to the person who really DID record this.
Credit where credit's due please.
Mister .. Beat .. Drumroll .. C

And no, this has not been remixed in any way shape or form. That's why this is the best recording since this in pure form it's already better then those other releases.

Right. I did not say it was John Herman's speaking at the start -- but John's tape has a prominent and known male voice heard sporadically throughout his taping.

Your source is closer to the piano, thus a better recording of "Rags To Riches." But the Herman tape sounds better on other songs -- someone should combine both for the OPTIMAL release of this great, late-period show.

By the by ... what is "mister beat drumroll"?

Elvis is directing his band, as I noted, by calling out "B" -- the final key change (B major) -- and letting Tutt know it's time to close out "Rags To Riches" ("drum roll").

javilu wrote:Once I finish the Guralnik book I'll have the answer to that, I think!

Javy ... it's G-U-R-A-L-N-I-C-K.

Tue May 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Sounds like the tape that was used for the Rags To Riches release, even though I think that RTR sounded much more noisy. I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't crosscheck this impression.

Is a portion of Polk Salad Annie missing on this tape? On RTR the gap was filled with the 'old' source.

Can you hear some guy saying 'How low can you go' during JD's intermission on I Got a Woman / Amen?

Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Is a portion of Polk Salad Annie missing on this tape?

Yes.

Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Is a portion of Polk Salad Annie missing on this tape? On RTR the gap was filled with the 'old' source.

If memory serves me correct, the first 30 seconds or so of PSA on the "new" source has been edited in from the old source.

G.I. Blues wrote:Can you hear some guy saying 'How low can you go' during JD's intermission on I Got a Woman / Amen?

Yes!!

Tue May 12, 2009 10:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Did you think I was?

Do you seriously think he was being serious when he asked if you were serious when you doubted if he was serious ?

Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 pm

I am confused now..can someone please make a comparison what is where missing,....was edited ..is complete....is equal..??
RTR, FTD, LP, Auld Lang Syne...

Tue May 12, 2009 11:50 pm

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Did you think I was?

Do you seriously think he was being serious when he asked if you were serious when you doubted if he was serious ?

Seriously...

Wed May 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi,

sorry being so late, i'm still working on the differences between each tape... This is quite interesting, i already found a few unknown facts...
I will probably finish this evening or tomorrow.

See You

Vince

PS : can we have a "name" or ID for the different taper ?

Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Why not call him "Mr. John Herman-Not"?

Sat May 16, 2009 1:38 am

Can somebody tell me if on RTR I got a woman and Amen are split tracks?

fecc-mechanic wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:Is a portion of Polk Salad Annie missing on this tape? On RTR the gap was filled with the 'old' source.

If memory serves me correct, the first 30 seconds or so of PSA on the "new" source has been edited in from the old source.

G.I. Blues wrote:Can you hear some guy saying 'How low can you go' during JD's intermission on I Got a Woman / Amen?

Yes!!

Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 am

I remember from seeing the show on VHS years ago somebody was annoyingly ringing a big bell in the first rows and Elvis said "stop ringing that bell, man!" or something like that, a guy (the same one?) also makes a rather nice on-mic speech to Elvis finishing with "..and I love you)": was this not edited out of the FTD cd release? I'm going by vague memory here.

I haven't played it in a while, preferring to see the excellent available video footage together with the audio.

I agree a merge of the best AR sources from this concert would make the ultimate release. Judging from certain "merge" Jimi Hendrix audience recorded concerts, such results can be stunning and definitive/ If done right.

Sat May 16, 2009 2:54 am

James27 wrote:I remember from seeing the show on VHS years ago somebody was annoyingly ringing a big bell in the first rows and Elvis said "stop ringing that bell, man!" or something like that, a guy (the same one?) also makes a rather nice on-mic speech to Elvis finishing with "..and I love you)" ...

You misremember a bit.

The bell ringing was by super-fan Jim Curtin, in order to get Elvis' attention. After completing "Jailhouse Rock," the singer does not berate the audience. Rather, Elvis asks the crowd "what's that ... a cowbell ringing?" and Curtin then goes to the edge of the stage and gives Elvis a special gift: a brass replica of the famous Philadelphia "Liberty Bell."

Curtin says something like "Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, Happy Bicentenial and I love you."

Sat May 16, 2009 2:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
James27 wrote:I remember from seeing the show on VHS years ago somebody was annoyingly ringing a big bell in the first rows and Elvis said "stop ringing that bell, man!" or something like that, a guy (the same one?) also makes a rather nice on-mic speech to Elvis finishing with "..and I love you)" ...

You misremember a bit.

The bell ringing was by super-fan Jim Curtin, in order to get Elvis' attention. After completing "Jailhouse Rock," the singer does not berate the audience. Rather, Elvis asks the crowd "what's that ... a cowbell ringing?" and Curtin then goes to the edge of the stage and gives Elvis a special gift: a brass replica of the famous Philadelphia "Liberty Bell."

Curtin says something like "Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, Happy Bicentenial and I love you."

I thought I heard him say, "Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, I'm gonna someday write books and claim we are personal friends, and I love you."

Sat May 16, 2009 3:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

You misremember a bit.

I am sure I remember the "stop ringing that bell, man" bit correctly, though. Somewhere before the receiving of the bell. I also remember, thinking about it, that Elvis was at first a bit suspicious (in his hesitant body language) of the guy giving the speech, before shaking his hand, understanding he meant well.
I am now going to find it on my old VHS tape, to check it. As I don't think it is in the later DVD version I have. I'll know more somewhere in the next couple of days. If possible, I'll put it on YouTube then and put a link to it here.