Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Sat May 23, 2009 10:55 am

If you listen to shows our man gave in 1976 ..this one stands out as one of the best..reason enough for me..to appreciate the quality of the show..

Sat May 23, 2009 8:36 pm

let me add the source I have:
(for what it's worth to some people)

00.00 > 02.17 : (2.17) Also Sprach
: (3.54) C.C. Rider
: (2.30) I Got A Woman
: (5.34) Amen
: (3.02) Big Boss Man
: (2.34) Love Me
: (2.44) Fairytale
: (3.28) You Gave Me A Mountain
: (1.38) Jailhouse Rock
: (1.18) Presentation Of Liberty Bell
: (1.03) O Sole Mio
: (2.42) It’s Now Or Never
: (4.50) My Way
: (1.52) Funny How Time Slips Away
: (1.15) Auld Lang Syne
: (0.59) Introductions
: (1.39) Blue Suede Shoes
: (2.10) Trying To Get To You (at the end a different source is added in that ends with "thank you very much".
total time disc 1: 45 min 38 sec

: (4.10) Polk Salad Annie
: (1.40 ) Band Introductions
: (2.27) Early Mornin’ Rain
: (0.48) What’D I Say [small drop on « ALD »]
: (0.55) Johnny B. Goode
: (1.231) Drum Solo
: (1.33) Bass Solo
: (1.09 ) Piano Solo
: (2.58) Love Letters
: (1.16) School Days
: (3.12) Fever
: (2.50) Hurt
: (2.42 ) Hound Dog
: (3.03) Are You Lonesome Tonight ?
: (3.00) Reconsider Baby
: (2.33) Little Sister
: (3.38) Unchained Melody
: (2.09) Rags To Riches
: (1.42) Can’t Help Falling In Love
: (2.19) Closing Vamp [complete Al Dvorin announcement, cuts off directly after "be careful driving home, good night"]
total playing time disc 2: 45 min 43 sec

total playing time: 91 minutes21 sec

Sat May 23, 2009 8:52 pm

We haven't touched on the relative wealth of film footage from this show. As with the audio, there is more than one source. If memory serves, there are at least three and maybe four.

1. Knees-up, shot from Elvis' right. Somewhat blurry because the zoom feature was in use. Still enjoyable to watch.

2. Clearer footage, shot from a distance, with more vibrant color. Not as complete as the first source.

3. Almost-professional looking chest-up film, that was synched with the Herman audio. This footage is very choppy. Not too many complete songs, but it clearly shows how "bright eyed and bushy tailed" Elvis was that night.

Sat May 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi,

Merry, is your recording missing part of "Polk Salad Annie", or is the start of that song taken from another source ?
The "Tape B" ends like yours, after a sentence of Al.

See You

Vince

Sat May 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Some here have even claimed it is the greatest all-time Elvis concert!

Hopefully this is a joke, or is it a case of there's no accounting for taste.

1956?

1957?

1961?

1969?

1970?

1971?

A self-destructive and less than committed Elvis in 1976 eclipses shows from those years?

Quotes and sources would verify your claim. However, it would not make the claims any more credible.

Sun May 24, 2009 12:53 am

forum wrote:
Some here have even claimed it is the greatest all-time Elvis concert!

Hopefully this is a joke, or is it a case of there's no accounting for taste.

1956?

1957?

1961?

1969?

1970?

1971?

A self-destructive and less than committed Elvis in 1976 eclipses shows from those years?

Quotes and sources would verify your claim. However, it would not make the claims any more credible.

Oh it is not a joke. Search the forum and you will find that historically on a handful of threads, some have made the claim that this show is number one. It may have been the best show from 1975 thru 1977, but clearly it was not in the same league with Elvis' live work from earlier in the decade.

Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 am

Hi Vince,

yes the recording that was used for most of the show is missing the beginning of Polk salad. It was edited in from another source and although the quality is different, in tempo it fluently goes over back into the first recording. So that makes it the complete show.

Vince wrote:Hi,

Merry, is your recording missing part of "Polk Salad Annie", or is the start of that song taken from another source ?
The "Tape B" ends like yours, after a sentence of Al.

See You

Vince

Sun May 24, 2009 5:11 am

elvisjock wrote
3. Almost-professional looking chest-up film, that was synched with the Herman audio. This footage is very choppy. Not too many complete songs, but it clearly shows how "bright eyed and bushy tailed" Elvis was that night.

The amazing things about this footage is, it was also shot by Herman at the same time as recording! The original film is actually sound Super 8mm footage. I'm sure someone has added the audio from a strictly audio source at one time or another to try and enhance this, but the original is sound footage.

the reason for the choppy scenes is that Sound Super 8 was expensive to shoot and process. I believe that reels ran 3 mins or so each.

John used outdoor film stock to shoot his Elvis concert films. Many people made the mistake of buying indoor rated film as you would think that would be best- It wasn't.

Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 am

Hi,

great infos Greybeard !
Amazing to see a fan taping audio and video... Only a few are doing that even today.

See You

Vince

Sun May 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Vince wrote:Hi,

great infos Greybeard !
Amazing to see a fan taping audio and video... Only a few are doing that even today.

See You

Vince

An official release of the very best of the original audience shot footage from New Year's Eve would make a nice first dvd release for FTD...
After that, the uncut CBS shows, TTWII outtakes, EOT outtakes. A man can dream, can't he? :wink:

Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Is it fair to assume that there definitely was a soundboard recording done from this Pittsburgh show? And perhaps one of the sound engineers (I don't know Bruce or somebody) took them because of what an amazing show this was? I thought I read about that here by somebody a while back that a soundboard of this show existed and a person took it from the vaults, I guess when they were permitted to access them??!?!

And furthermore, was a soundboard recording done for every Elvis show in the later years?

DJL

Sun May 24, 2009 6:17 pm

A Pittsburgh soundboard would be incredible to have! Were there any soundboards done for the Lake Tahoe shows?

Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:A Pittsburgh soundboard would be incredible to have! Were there any soundboards done for the Lake Tahoe shows?

Yes and no. Another flat, lifeless, unbalanced '76 soundboard would not do the show any justice. A soundboard may not improve the listening experience, in fact, it may highlight flaws in the performance not evident from the audience source.

Sun May 24, 2009 6:59 pm

midnightx wrote:A soundboard may not improve the listening experience, in fact, it may highlight flaws in the performance not evident from the audience source.

Then again maybe it would improve the listening experience and may not highlight any flaws hitherto un-noticed at all.

No offence Mx, but you can be a misery guts :roll:

Sun May 24, 2009 7:32 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
midnightx wrote:A soundboard may not improve the listening experience, in fact, it may highlight flaws in the performance not evident from the audience source.

Then again maybe it would improve the listening experience and may not highlight any flaws hitherto un-noticed at all.

No offence Mx, but you can be a misery guts :roll:

It is a very legitimate concern. Anyone familiar with how audience sources can mask subtle flaws in a performance knows that once the respective performance is heard with clarity via soundboard and/or multitrack, in some ways it is like a different performance. Your total blind defense of Elvis' work from the mid/late 70's does not allow you to acknowledge the reasonable possibility that some of the well-known performance and vocal issues that plagued much of 1976 could be evident on a soundboard tape of the notorious Pittsburgh gig. Maybe a soundboard would only further highlight this legendary gig in a positive light, but again, it may not.

Sun May 24, 2009 7:57 pm

midnightx does have a point here. Remember the mothers day 73 show, how everyone was looking forward to it based on the audience tape that was available, the soundboard was a bit of a disappointment, because Elvis sounds much more tired on it than the audience tape revealed.

It's not simply a matter of highlighting flaws in a performance though, they often change the experience by offering wildly unbalanced and usually flat, bass heavy mixes. Any performance sounds worse when you can't hear the audience responding, the drums are far in the background, the backup singers far too loud, and Elvis WAY more out front than should have been the case. In this way, the soundboard can be just as deceptive as an audience recording in presenting an image of a show that doesn't accurately reflect what the audience experienced.

This is not, however, an argument against releasing soundboards, just a caution to the listener. I would expect, however, that a Pittsburgh soundboard, if it existed, would be a pretty good listen performance-wise based on the SBS we have from Birmingham and Dallas a few days before.

Sun May 24, 2009 9:47 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:I would expect, however, that a Pittsburgh soundboard, if it existed, would be a pretty good listen performance-wise based on the SBS we have from Birmingham and Dallas a few days before.

That's what I think, too.

Rich

Sun May 24, 2009 10:03 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:midnightx does have a point here. Remember the mothers day 73 show, how everyone was looking forward to it based on the audience tape that was available, the soundboard was a bit of a disappointment, because Elvis sounds much more tired on it than the audience tape revealed.

Of course he has a point. We can say the same thing about any soundboard that it may reveal something not evident on the audience recording that will be to the detriment of our enjoyment.

And you are spot on about the Mothers day concert - I used to think that was a terrific show when I had it on Live From Lake Tahoe!! But the FTD was a bit of a disappointment.

But may is like if, and if is like wish and:

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
If turnips were watches, I would wear one by my side.
And if "ifs" and "ands"
Were pots and pans,
There'd be no work for tinkers.

You see my point?

We can say that any experience we have in the future may not work out so good, so let's just stay in bed until we die.

But that is just pointless negativity. And there is far too much of that in this World (and on our beloved forum).

Sun May 24, 2009 10:16 pm

BIGREDG wrote:But that is just pointless negativity.

It isn't pointless or negative. The point is valid. It was in response to the idea that a SB would be so great to have - well, maybe it wouldn't be so great to have. SB's aren't always the answer for a dynamic listening experience (this is the case for all artists). It is only negative in your eyes because of your blind, hyper-defense of Elvis' late-period work.

Sun May 24, 2009 10:22 pm

midnightx wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:But that is just pointless negativity.

It isn't pointless or negative. The point is valid. It was in response to the idea that a SB would be so great to have - well, maybe it wouldn't be so great to have. SB's aren't always the answer for a dynamic listening experience (this is the case for all artists). It is only negative in your eyes because of your blind, hyper-defense of Elvis' late-period work.

Yet again you completely miss the point.

Oh, what are we to do with you?

Mon May 25, 2009 1:09 am

On the subject of the possibility of a soundboard- I was once told that even though nice soundboard quality recordings of shows leading up to Pittsburgh exist, Pittsburgh was not recorded.
When I asked why I was told that being New Years Eve/ New Years Day was a holiday- wages for union based people were higher than those on previous days. Never one to go overboard on spending- management opted to go with a bare neccessity type crew for the big show and not have to fork extra cash over for additional personel, and probably equipment.
Seems plausible to me based on the ever so thrifty management Elvis had.
Could be the reason no soundboard exists, and I believe Ernst looked for one and finally gave in and had to use the audience source recording.

Mon May 25, 2009 3:04 am

midnightx wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:A Pittsburgh soundboard would be incredible to have! Were there any soundboards done for the Lake Tahoe shows?

Yes and no. Another flat, lifeless, unbalanced '76 soundboard would not do the show any justice. A soundboard may not improve the listening experience, in fact, it may highlight flaws in the performance not evident from the audience source.

It all depends. There are some fabulously sounding '76 soundboards out there like the 30-6-76 and the 30-8-76 shows, in fact overall it's the best 'sounding' concert year out there! I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the Dallas 28-12-76 and the Birmingham 29-12-76 shows as much as I did, should they have come from audience recordings.

Small flaws here and there are not what determines an overall concert experience, we're not robots, it's more about the enegery level, atmosphere and audience reaction, a fresh setlist and so forth.

A cd box set in the style of the 14-cd box "Tour Number 14", consisting of a soundboard for each concert on that last '76 tour, now that would be an incredible buy ! And a fat booklet with essay and pictures, along with a double dvd with AR footage culled from these performances..

Tue May 26, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks Greybeard, your theory makes sense of why there would not be a soundboard. I still wish I could remember where I heard the theory that in early 80s a sound guy came in and stole that with a number of other soundboard concerts.

DJL

Tue May 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Greybeard wrote:On the subject of the possibility of a soundboard- I was once told that even though nice soundboard quality recordings of shows leading up to Pittsburgh exist, Pittsburgh was not recorded.
When I asked why I was told that being New Years Eve/ New Years Day was a holiday- wages for union based people were higher than those on previous days. Never one to go overboard on spending- management opted to go with a bare neccessity type crew for the big show and not have to fork extra cash over for additional personel, and probably equipment.
Seems plausible to me based on the ever so thrifty management Elvis had.
Could be the reason no soundboard exists, and I believe Ernst looked for one and finally gave in and had to use the audience source recording.

Sorry, but this doesn't sound conclusive to me.

There had been three soundengineers in attandence (Felton Jarvis, Bruce Jackson and Bill Porter). Elvis even introduces them to the audience. What would have been a problem to plug in a simple tape recorder and hit the record button as usual???

Extra costs because of new year's eve? No way!!!

Tue May 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Would anyone really be surprised if this was one of the shows in Bruce Jackson's possession?