23rd February 1973 Closing Show

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter

Re: 23rd February 1973 Closing Show

Post by drjohncarpenter »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Is it a coincidence Elvis sang "I Can't Stop Loving You" after introducing Ann-Margret? :wink:
He sang "I'll Remember You" after his long, and very elaborate, introduction of Ann. She was opening in the main showroom the next evening, but one suspects the song suddenly became deeply personal at that show. How much you want to bet he sung it in her direction? Even if husband Roger Smith was sitting right next to her?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Is it a coincidence Elvis sang "I Can't Stop Loving You" after introducing Ann-Margret? :wink:
He sang "I'll Remember You" after his long, and very elaborate introduction of Ann. She was opening in the main showroom the next evening, but one suspects the song suddenly became deeply personal at that show. How much you want to bet he sung it in her direction? Even if husband Roger Smith was sitting right next to her?
My, that's a really depressing thought. I love the song but it always brings me down - somehow. Makes me think about my failed marriage.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:He sang "I'll Remember You" after his long, and very elaborate, introduction of Ann. She was opening in the main showroom the next evening, but one suspects the song suddenly became deeply personal at that show. How much you want to bet he sung it in her direction? Even if husband Roger Smith was sitting right next to her?
My, that's a really depressing thought. I love the song but it always brings me down - somehow. Makes me think about my failed marriage.
Don't look at it like that. Life is a journey, and always a learning process.

But, no doubt, "I'll Remember You" is a wistful ballad.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

I just listened to the show again today. In reflecting on it I have to say that it's a mediocre affair with the usual rushed and perfunctory performances. The over dramatic, bombastic What Now My Love is a highlight, Mountain is pretty good, but the rest of the show is standard fare and standard performance power from EP.

I'm glad to have it mainly for the warm introductions of guests, especially Ann Margret. It's interesting because of this but only because of this. Again, it's notable the level of embarrassment I hear in Elvis' voice when his voice trails off in mentioning Viva Las Vegas. When he says he got physically ill over his movies, I can hear it here.

It's such an interesting release but not because of the song performances.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:He sang "I'll Remember You" after his long, and very elaborate, introduction of Ann. She was opening in the main showroom the next evening, but one suspects the song suddenly became deeply personal at that show. How much you want to bet he sung it in her direction? Even if husband Roger Smith was sitting right next to her?
Don't look at it like that. Life is a journey, and always a learning process.

But, no doubt, "I'll Remember You" is a wistful ballad.
You're absolutely correct. And when I've learned another thing, then it's: "Never say yes, no, no, never say yes..." :P :wink:

No, just kidding. Never say never again might fit better.

It's always easy for me to bring me down with songs like "It's Easy For You", "Never Again", "Lonely Man", a. o.
But then again there are so many joyful songs to enjoy from our man to lift up my spirits again.

Think I need a "Change Of Habit" right now. :D ::rocks

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Perhaps it's time to "step right up...to the love machine..."