Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis recorded Live In Memphis FTD?

Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:27 pm

I can just see this one coming up soon, in the same format that they are doing the new FTD soundtrax with the bigger size format and ALL the songs included from the concert, and a ton of pictures!!!! COME ON ERNST!! It would be outstanding! (original front and back covers plez!)
JEFF dEPFAN!

Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:45 pm

I second that Jeff! I'd also like highlights from the other 74 Memphis shows included! Ernst & Roger: IT'S TIME FOR THIS RELEASE!

Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:15 pm

I can't agree strongly enough. I'd pay for this cd today, be it FTD or BMG. This was always one of the best sounding live albums, ignoring the applause mixing, and E was sounding great. The version of Steamroller on Platinum whetted my appettite even more!

PLEASE give us this show!

Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:10 pm

YES!
Release it as soon as possible Ernst!
The complete, unedited concert off course!
A great cover would be nice, with some action shots and the Graceland gates as well...

Sonny

Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:07 am

You got my backing for this!!!

Let us have the unedited March 20, 1974 Memphis show!!!

Please ERNST!!!

Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:20 am

No absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not release this...

Just Kidding. Yes I want it too. Tired of the crappy edited version. It is my opinion the original was recorded in Wyoming and all that memphis talk was just edited in!

Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:42 am

:D COMPLETE AND RE-MASTERED would be a REAL winner for everyone!

Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:04 am

I would also love this release. Bring it on. :D

PLEASE
:mrgreen:

Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:42 pm

I would absolutely buy this release in order to have this concert in its entirety in great sound (hopefully) and on an official release, but I believe Elvis's shows in Memphis in '75 and '76 were far superior. In the '75 show his voice couldn't have been clearer or in better form. In the '76 show his voice wasn't quite up to par but far better than most '76 concerts, and he gave a longer show with some nice treats and was very loose and still sounded strong. I like the repertoire from the '75 and '76 shows better in general. Hearing the '74 show unedited for the first time was a little disappointing to me, actually. I think the show in its unedited form was a little on the sloppy side, although it did showcase a few great performances including, of course, a Grammy-winning one. :) And even if it is cheesy, I had kind of gotten used to the applause on the original album--although granted, it shouldn't have been done in the first place. What is the story with that actually? I have heard it called dubbed applause, but I figured that there was a mic on the crowd or something and it was just turned up high in the mix heard on the original album. It doesn't sound like fake applause to me, like, e.g., on the end of Unchained Melody.

Bottom line: I would buy this release but would prefer to hear other things first. Songs which were omitted because of their (then) recent inclusion on the Aloha album need to see the light of day on an official release and in the context of this show. It would be very appropriate to get this one next year for its 30th anniversary.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:18 pm

Well Ernst has said that it will happen eventually, although it doesn’t appear to be high on his list of priorities, as he also confirmed that there were no immediate plans for this release. The applause on the original album is indeed fake, and is simply faded in and out of the mix at various points during the performance. The version issued by Fort Baxter was taken from a soundboard tape, whilst RCA recorded the show in multi-track. A full remix from the RCA tapes would sound far better than what can be heard on the bootleg CD of the same performance.

I’m not saying the 1975 or 1976 shows wouldn’t make good FTD releases either, but I really don’t think either of these shows are better than the 1974 concert, and by the 1976 performance the signs of Elvis’ decline are apparent. True the 1976 concert is longer, and there were a number of “rare” live songs included in the set list, but that doesn’t make the overall performance superior to what was recorded in 1974

Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:43 pm

YEssssss, bring us this concert. This is one of my favourite concerts.

Oh, what about rarities, didn't he sing 'lawdy, miss clawdy', 'My Baby Left me' and a medley from 'Blueberry Hill' and 'I Can't stop loving you'.

Plus the grammy award winning song 'How great thou art'.

Yes, Ernst. We want this release. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:35 pm

I agree with you, rockinrebel, that the '74 show makes the most sense to release compared to the other two I mentioned. It would be a commemorative type of release which would right the wrongs of the original album. I just like comparing those Memphis shows since they are all strong performances--he seemed to really turn things up a notch for the hometown crowd. I do think that at least the '75 show is superior to that one from '74. And I know what you're saying about '76, but I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:59 pm

Same Here This Was my First Elvis Lp I Ever
Bought In My Collection, And No longer
Its In A Baaad shape play it To Much.

But I Am Still Looking For The Mint Vinyl
Of it.

Curti Simpkins

Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:07 pm

HUH???

Tom

Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:27 pm

Hey Tommy Boy How Are You Doning My Man.

. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

curtis simpkins

Fri May 02, 2003 7:07 pm

I would like to see the ENTIRE Memphis show released (the March 20, 1974 show), but as a regular BMG release, and not as an FTD release. Keep the front and back covers, but add a booklet with a text and some photos.

Tom (from Ohio)

Fri May 02, 2003 7:33 pm

I have this one on bootleg(Steamroller blues) ,and i realy like this release,soundwise it's one of the very best and it contains all the edited tracks.
However, i welcome an official release;BMG has to be better than a bootcompany as you talk about artwork.
I don't think they can improve the sound(since "Steamroller blues" was perfect).
If possible ,release it as an upgraded product with the original coverart,this could be an essential release.

Fri May 02, 2003 8:02 pm

Yes, bring this out as an ungraded BMG release, not on the FTD label please. This is definately a real superb live album.

Fri May 02, 2003 8:06 pm

...one reason I think would prefer this on FTD is IF they use the new larger format with a booklet like they are doing with the sountrax! I think it would look pretty cool :roll:
JEFF d
EPFAN!

Fri May 02, 2003 8:48 pm

There's really some soundimproving to do for BMG/FTD;
just compare the versions of Steamoller Blues from Fort Baxter's 'Steamroller Blues' to the same track released on 'Platinum'.
On platinum it souds really surperior.

Edwin

Fri May 02, 2003 9:25 pm

great idea to have this one released in complete form. I also prefer this album as a normal bmg release since it is a fantastic concert. They really should work on the audience sound because the current release really has a very annoying 'jojo'sound as far as the audience response is concerned. It seems they mixed the same screems of some excited chick after the finish of each song. If you start noticing it it gets fustrating listening to the whole album which is a shame because elvis is really kickin'ass!

Sat May 03, 2003 1:25 am

Personally I would prefer a complete On Tour concert in an "state of the art" kind of sound quality. But yes, the March 1974 were all great. The complete Memphis show - or even better the Richmond concert that like I once read was designated by Elvis to be released rather than the Memphis show - would be great. In both cases it would be important to get the entire performances in perfectly mastered versions.

I agree with you all!

Sat May 03, 2003 2:03 am

It wouldn't be hard - I know they could do it. They have the master tape and they could just treat it like the other BMG re-releases where they added all the extra songs onto the CD. Like they did with On Stage, Moody Blue, From Elvis In memphis, Promised Land etc. etc. I think it's all just a matter of priorities for them. I hope it takes a front seat priority though. They could surprise us like they did with An Afternoon In The Garden.

Darrell

Sat May 03, 2003 3:04 am

There's not much I can add since every argument why this Memphis 1974 show should be released remixed, unedited and in its entirety is already stated by various members.

I have been discussing this more than once in the past: I think this show was one of Elvis' greatest professionally recorded shows, because of his high spirits during the show, his matured voice being in fantastic condition (no slurring, perfectly controlled vibrato, no thick tongue,etc.), the crowd being very generous towards him, the exciting and strong song selection, the good recorded sound, and the historical significance of this 20-3-74 closing show. Compared with this, both Aloha shows sound a bit lifeless and dull.

BMG or FTD, I don't really care, as long as we get it in the format as described above (unedited etc.) , with an interesting and relevant essay and some appropriate pictures inside a rich booklet. Written by Johnny Savage? :wink:

THE PUBLIC WANTS THIS SHOW IN OPTIMAL FORMAT, IT'S BEEN PROF. RECORDED, SO ERNST AND ROGER, HOW 'BOUT IT? :D

Sat May 03, 2003 1:32 pm

There's nothing I can add to what's already been said. I want it too. NOW!!

Regards,
Jerry