Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 pm

How would an American pronounce Frankfurt..?... :wink:

So Frankfort..fits better....!!... :lol:

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:48 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Let me apologize ahead of time if this subject has been discussed before. Does anyone know why "Frankfort" in Elvis' 1960 song "Frankfort Special" is spelled like several cities in the U.S.? Shouldn't it have been "Frankfurt Special" as in Frankfurt, Germany? I think so. Therefore, either the writers of the song messed up on the spelling or RCA screwed up the spelling on the original G.I. BLUES album in 1960 and has never been corrected since. I've always wondered about this but have never read anything about this error. Without just guessing, does anybody know for sure how this mistake came about?

Thanks, MEMPHISFAN - A Memphis man.


Well, for one it isn't based on the city of Frankfurt but rather the railroad train called, the Frankfort Special, so if they aren't referring to the city, and the train is pure fiction, they can spell it any way they want to.

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Are you really sure the train name is fiction.

I could easily see a troop train special being called "Frankfurt Special" :D

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:02 am

Ok, then that's my history lesson for the day.

I made the fictional remark because the movie itself is fiction, but I guess they used a real train, but perhaps the songwriters mispelled it.

Call it, an American spelling then.

But to contradtict myself, I have the original German LP pressing for the soundtrack and it is spelled Frankfort.
So, that is weird.

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:21 am

what the Elvis UK book says about the G I Blues album & that track:

img339.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:25 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Ciscoking, I'll tell you exactly how an American would pronounce Frankfurt [if they're from the South] - " Phrankfart". [ I ought to know, I'm a Memphian ].
...
THEMEMPHISFAN

train´s name is clearly a reference to the city. why else should he sing about "frankfort girls" who "got pretty faces" ...?
although i´m a frankfurter (where i was born and raised and lived for many years), i never thought about the misspelled title. i simply knew, that elvis was never very accurate, when it came to german pronunciation. when he sang the german traditional "wooden heart" it always sounded to me, as if he didn´t understand one single word of the german lyrics; by the way, "sei mir gut, sei mir gut, sei mir wie du wirklich sollst ... " is pretty bad german and really does not make much sense.
but elvis or the songwriters or possibly both didn´t care too much about geography either, when he sang "i´m proud of my brunhilde in frankfort on the rhine ..." (in "i love only one girl"), while most germans know that frankfort lies on a river called "main" (pronounced "mine"). the "rhein" (pronounced very similar "rhine") is another stream, that flows through cologne.

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Christopher wrote:...but elvis or the songwriters or possibly both didn´t care too much about geography either, when he sang "i´m proud of my brunhilde in frankfort on the rhine ..." (in "i love only one girl"), while most germans know that frankfort lies on a river called "main" (pronounced "mine"). the "rhein" (pronounced very similar "rhine") is another stream, that flows through cologne.


Err...................... actually, they spell it 'Frankfurt' in that song !

But thanks for the geography lesson !

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:22 pm

As Christopher already correctly put it...
FRANKFURT lies on the river MAIN and not on the RHEIN, as Elvis had to wrongly sing for one of his lesser soundtrack songs - I Love Only One Girl.

But what can we expect from people that do not even check the facts right...

But when it comes to Elvis, too many mistakes were done over the years.
Not even his own record label had the information on his no. 1 artist right.
Shortly after the king deceased, they re-released his very first recording, the single "That's All Right" with the recording year given on the label as 1955. In another instance, RCA had Elvis' birthdate as January 8, 1934 (!) on a flyer, advertising the Golden Celebration boxed set as far as I can remember. Ho-hum.

But hey, doesn't CHICAGO sit on the shores of BIG BEAR LAKE and wasn't Elvis born in Memphis on July 23, 1939?

Nuff said.

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:37 pm

I've looked into the encyclopedia on internet and see that the German spelling is FRANKFURT AM MAIN while the Dutch spelling is FRANKFORT AAN DE MAIN. I also saw that English spell it as FRANKFORT ON THE MAIN. I guess it has something to do with official transcribing of names. Just like Russian names, for instance, are written differently in English.

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:29 pm

Josee wrote:I've looked into the encyclopedia on internet and see that the German spelling is FRANKFURT AM MAIN while the Dutch spelling is FRANKFORT AAN DE MAIN.


Maybe Colonel Parker made another one of his infamous suggestions :mrgreen:

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Does anyone know why "Frankfort" in Elvis' 1960 song "Frankfort Special" is spelled like several cities in the U.S.? Shouldn't it have been "Frankfurt Special" as in Frankfurt, Germany?

Of course.

But the error was simply never caught, from conception to release. Note that management handled all Presley album art direction -- they would have never even noticed, or cared.

I have a real soft spot for this soundtrack number. The 1978 release of the rejected uptempo version on Elvis: A Legendary Performer, Vol. 3 was a minor revelation -- sure, it was an undeniable rip-off of "Mystery Train," but it rocked! That's Scotty Moore playing the lead riffs, too.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoooooa."

And many tracks from the initial "G.I. Blues" sessions were redone a week later in watered-down versions for official release -- a great shame.

Songwriters Sherman Edwards and Sid Wayne wrote another decent song for Elvis in 1960, "Flaming Star." Perhaps their best-known collaboration was "See You In September," a hit in 1959 for the Tempos and again seven years later for the Happenings.

Rock on, THEMEMPHISFAN.

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:46 am

T-R-O-U-B-L-E wrote:As Christopher already correctly put it...
FRANKFURT lies on the river MAIN and not on the RHEIN, as Elvis had to wrongly sing for one of his lesser soundtrack songs - I Love Only One Girl.

But what can we expect from people that do not even check the facts right...

But when it comes to Elvis, too many mistakes were done over the years.
Not even his own record label had the information on his no. 1 artist right.
Shortly after the king deceased, they re-released his very first recording, the single "That's All Right" with the recording year given on the label as 1955. In another instance, RCA had Elvis' birthdate as January 8, 1934 (!) on a flyer, advertising the Golden Celebration boxed set as far as I can remember. Ho-hum.

But hey, doesn't CHICAGO sit on the shores of BIG BEAR LAKE and wasn't Elvis born in Memphis on July 23, 1939?

Nuff said.


Here is another "error" I discovered years ago with a soundtrack song.

"Song of the Shrimp"

I saw 3 shrimp in the water
2 were old and grey
I swam alittle bit closer and
I heard the 3rd one say,
"Goodbye mama shrimp"
"Papa take my hand"

You see it? Here it is.
Since when can shrimp talk, and if they can, how does the person swimming toward them
understand what they are saying? I would assume they are speaking in a language only another shrimp could understand.
You'd think the writers would have known this.
This has bothered me for years. :|

Here's another one.

"Every man has a flaming star".

I don't have one. And I don't even know where to get one.
----------------------------------------
And another.

In "Bullfigher was a lady"

The bull wanted to take the bullfigher out on a date.
Why would a bull even think he has a chance with a lady?
I have checked the internet and the library and I can find no
evidence that this is even possible.

Uh Songwriters...

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:33 pm

ekenee wrote:But what can we expect from people that do not even check the facts right...
But when it comes to Elvis, too many mistakes were done over the years.
Not even his own record label had the information on his no. 1 artist right.


You are getting too immersed in the lyrics, and taking them too literally.

As far as the shrimps' talking goes, they obviously had an interpreter with them to explain things.

And you do have a flaming star.................. lucky for you, it hasn't put in an appearance yet.....................

And as for the bestiality suggested in that song about the bull, well that was just a load of.................err.............. poetic licence.......

Re: FRANKF "O" RT SPECIAL? FRANKF "U" RT SPECIAL!

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 am

ColinB wrote:
ekenee wrote:But what can we expect from people that do not even check the facts right...
But when it comes to Elvis, too many mistakes were done over the years.
Not even his own record label had the information on his no. 1 artist right.


You are getting too immersed in the lyrics, and taking them too literally.

As far as the shrimps' talking goes, they obviously had an interpreter with them to explain things.

And you do have a flaming star.................. lucky for you, it hasn't put in an appearance yet.....................

And as for the bestiality suggested in that song about the bull, well that was just a load of.................err.............. poetic licence.......


I will take note of your suggestions.