Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Jailhouse Rock filming question

Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:49 pm

There are a few theories about the first week of filming Jailhouse Rock. And i got puzzeled. In the excelent JHR book from Ger Rijff years ago you can find a daily filming schedule. first day filming was may 13th followed by the JHR dancing number on the 14th. In this schedule there is no mentioning of Elvis aspirates his teeth cap. Which ended up in his right lung and was removed in the Hospital on the 15th. Elvis was released from the hospital on the 16th.

So what was really the schedule of filming? In the scenes presumably not shot on the 15th and 16th Elvis had scenes to appear in.

Can anybody out there put some clearance in this?

Re: Jailhouse Rock filming question

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 am

philobeddo wrote:There are a few theories about the first week of filming Jailhouse Rock. And i got puzzeled. In the excelent JHR book from Ger Rijff years ago you can find a daily filming schedule. first day filming was may 13th followed by the JHR dancing number on the 14th. In this schedule there is no mentioning of Elvis aspirates his teeth cap. Which ended up in his right lung and was removed in the Hospital on the 15th. Elvis was released from the hospital on the 16th.

So what was really the schedule of filming? In the scenes presumably not shot on the 15th and 16th Elvis had scenes to appear in.

Can anybody out there put some clearance in this?


Here ya go:

1957 "Jailhouse Rock" Tooth Cap Incident

May 14 (Tue) - Elvis swallows a tooth cap during work on the dance number for the title song
May 15 (Wed) - While on the set, and after filming some scenes in the morning, Elvis has pain in his chest, so he is taken to Cedars of Lebanon hospital in Los Angeles
May 16 (Thu) - Elvis is released from the hospital
May 17 (Fri) - A note of thanks is sent to the staff at Cedars which reads, "Dear Friends, I want you to know how very much I appreciate your very wonderful treatment while I was there. When I went in I was all shook up but I left loving you. Thanks a million. My best to all. Sincerely, Elvis Presley."

Presley returned to work at MGM on Monday, May 20.


Image

Presley Makes Grand Exit From Hospital
HOLLYWOOD, May 17 - Elvis Presley is a popular man with the nurses as he leaves Cedars of Lebanon Hospital today after an emergency operation to remove a dislodged dental cap that wedged in a bronchial tube. A corps of nurses appeared from everywhere as Presley, wearing a blue silk shirt and fire red zipper jacket, walked from the hospital to his Cadillac. The dental cap had dislodged Tuesday while Presley was doing a dance sequence at MGM studio. The nurses are Beverly Altomore (left) and Elissa Martyn.

Re: Jailhouse Rock filming question

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:May 17 (Fri) - A note of thanks is sent to the staff at Cedars which reads, "Dear Friends, I want you to know how very much I appreciate your very wonderful treatment while I was there. When I went in I was all shook up but I left loving you. Thanks a million. My best to all. Sincerely, Elvis Presley."


That's adorable. But then again, I love wordplay and references.

Re: Jailhouse Rock filming question

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:35 am

Thanks Dr. John.

Re: Jailhouse Rock filming question

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 pm

I would love to know how they removed the cap from his lungs and sent him home 2 days later.

Re: Jailhouse Rock filming question

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:18 pm

DGRYAN1977 wrote:I would love to know how they removed the cap from his lungs and sent him home 2 days later.


They didn't. As my previous post meant to convey, Elvis lost the cap during filming on Tuesday (5-14-1957). He assumed he swallowed it, got a spare in, and went back to work. On Wednesday (5-15-1957), he went in and did some more film work in the morning, but felt pain in his chest. So he went to the hospital that afternoon, doctors saw the obstruction in his lung, and it was removed. He remained there overnight, and was discharged Thursday (5-16-1957). Elvis spent maybe 18-20 hours total at Cedars of Lebanon.