"Fit for a King" to air on Documentary Channel

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The Documentary Channel will be screening Fit for a King this month:

02/07/09 : 05:00 PM - 06:30 PM
02/14/09 : 06:15 PM - 07:45 PM

FitForAKingDVDcover.jpg

They just posted a review here -->

Fit for a King

Most music fans who happen to love Elvis Presley probably carry one of two distinct images of the King of Rock and Roll in their minds. The first is of young Elvis-skinny, hair slicked back, leather jacket, twisting and gyrating his way into music history as the artist most often credited with bringing a new kind of music to the masses.The second image of the King is quite a bit different-older, heavier, clad in outlandish jump suits and belting out versions of his hits on a Las Vegas stage.

Every other possible aspect of Elvis' life has been covered in books or film, so why not those jump suits? The documentary "Fit for a King," now appearing on the Documentary Channel, tells the story of B&K Enterprises, which manufactures recreations of Elvis' costumes.

The film also features extensive interviews with the late Bill Belew, Elvis' personal designer, and Gene Doucette, who designed some of Presley's most famous and recognizable stage outfits. In case any Elvis fans were curious, "Fit for a King," marks the first time either talked in great detail about clothing the King.The film brings those Vegas days back in all their glory with video footage and archival photos of the jump-suit clad Elvis, karate kicking and belting out songs despite his ever increasing waistline.

The film also takes us inside Graceland, Elvis' Memphis mansion, and offers insider dish on some of the more famous garments associated with Presley.

Included is the robe Elvis gave to boxing legend Muhammad Ali, whose former trainer Angelo Dundee talks about meeting Elvis.

No film about Elvis and his stage costumes would be complete without a look at some of the many impersonators, or "tribute artists." "Fit for a King," speaks to a handful of the better ones.The film was released on DVD in August, but is now airing on the Documentary Channel.

So even if your fondest recollections of Elvis come from 1956, the year he was unleashed on the world, "Fit for a King," offers a different look at E's latter era, and the stories behind those fancy clothes.

Chris Dortch II

http://www.documentarychannel.com/main/content/view/145/1/

If you didn't buy the DVD, here's your chance to see it on TV!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Re: "Fit for a King" to air on Documentary Channel

Post by Little Darlin »

Well I'm sure Andy's delighted with the publicity, as I posted this last night too.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Obviously, I didn't see that posting.

Mine does have the DVD sleeve displayed, isn't that wonderful?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Well yes there is that I suppose.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010