Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:26 pm

.
Last edited by SUN-RCA on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:13 am

No, it was not filmed or recorded unfortunately. All we have are the photos.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 am

Mike C wrote:No, it was not filmed or recorded unfortunately. All we have are the photos.


Thanx Mike

Well that's strange that Steve Binder would not have filmed any of that at all, after all the hard work everyone did with both Sit Down and Stand Up Shows, I wonder why he did not film this also.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:48 am

Because it was only a rehearsal

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:56 am

robbie wrote:Because it was only a rehearsal


Thanx robbie

I did not know that, then that would explain It, It's too bad that Steve did not film this, I just find It very odd that Steve did not film any of this or at least Sound Record the Rehearsal :smt017

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:34 am

Clay wrote: It seems from all the photos of Elvis performing in this Blue outfit on Stage that there must be film of it, does anyone know if there is any film in the Vaults, and if there is why was it not released in the 2004, 68 Deluxe Edition DVD 3 disc set, these are just a few of the many Blue Outfit photos of Elvis performing on Stage.I have always wondered about this.


ImageImage
ImageImage



As stated it was a rehearsal or the rumored 3rd sit down show.

Or to be more acurate the first sit down show.

I have a feeling it was filmed and it has yet to surface.

Keep a watch for youtube for it.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:29 am

Nothing was on film, per se. It was on videotape, which is why we can't have Blu-Ray of any of it. This was apparently only captured on still photos.

If you want to see the outfit itself in action, it's in the Guitar Man sequences, and "on the midway." So, even though though they audio taped two dressing room rehearsals, or Joe did, this was not put to tape, apperently. Or maybe it was the one thing they lost!

I have sometimes wondered if one of the dressing room rehearsals was not actually this? It was just a thought. I don't think so.

On the other hand, they had to test out the cameras, and angles. And lighting, especially. We know this for sure, because Elvis's hair was so shiny blue-black that he was asked to add a little reddish color to tone it down, which, after a humorous bit of conflict, he allowed. I had always heard that his hair was blinding the cameramen to an extent. I think it's in '68 at 40. Could be in Gaar. Anyway, this happened about the hair. So, how did they notice it if they didn't do a test taping? And if they did, where is it?

rjm

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

rjm wrote:Nothing was on film, per se. It was on videotape, which is why we can't have Blu-Ray of any of it. This was apparently only captured on still photos.

If you want to see the outfit itself in action, it's in the Guitar Man sequences, and "on the midway." So, even though though they audio taped two dressing room rehearsals, or Joe did, this was not put to tape, apperently. Or maybe it was the one thing they lost!

I have sometimes wondered if one of the dressing room rehearsals was not actually this? It was just a thought. I don't think so.

On the other hand, they had to test out the cameras, and angles. And lighting, especially. We know this for sure, because Elvis's hair was so shiny blue-black that he was asked to add a little reddish color to tone it down, which, after a humorous bit of conflict, he allowed. I had always heard that his hair was blinding the cameramen to an extent. I think it's in '68 at 40. Could be in Gaar. Anyway, this happened about the hair.So, how did they notice it if they didn't do a test taping? And if they did, where is it?

rjm


Interesting thoughts rjm, makes sense to me, if there is any film, i'll bet it's pretty cool 8) ,now who has that film :smt066

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:27 am

Clay wrote:
rjm wrote:On the other hand, they had to test out the cameras, and angles. And lighting, especially. We know this for sure, because Elvis's hair was so shiny blue-black that he was asked to add a little reddish color to tone it down, which, after a humorous bit of conflict, he allowed. I had always heard that his hair was blinding the cameramen to an extent. I think it's in '68 at 40. Could be in Gaar. Anyway, this happened about the hair.So, how did they notice it if they didn't do a test taping? And if they did, where is it?

rjm


Interesting thoughts rjm, makes sense to me, if there is any film, i'll bet it's pretty cool 8) ,now who has that film :smt066


There is NO film from June 1968. The show was videotaped -- a different medium. And to my knowledge any discussion of changing Elvis' hair color never actually reached the singer.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Clay wrote:
rjm wrote:On the other hand, they had to test out the cameras, and angles. And lighting, especially. We know this for sure, because Elvis's hair was so shiny blue-black that he was asked to add a little reddish color to tone it down, which, after a humorous bit of conflict, he allowed. I had always heard that his hair was blinding the cameramen to an extent. I think it's in '68 at 40. Could be in Gaar. Anyway, this happened about the hair.So, how did they notice it if they didn't do a test taping? And if they did, where is it?

rjm


Interesting thoughts rjm, makes sense to me, if there is any film, i'll bet it's pretty cool 8) ,now who has that film :smt066


There is NO film from June 1968. The show was videotaped -- a different medium. And to my knowledge any discussion of changing Elvis' hair color never actually reached the singer.


Oh, now I gotta find the cite; it was funny! I'm not sure who asked him first, but Bob Finkel intervened, and put the matter to rest. "Mr. Finkel, I'm real sensitive about my hair, sir." Finkel then REMOVED HIS TOUPE, tossed it down, and replied "So am I." Elvis and the guys with him fell out laughing! You MUST have read this? Oh, gosh, I MUST find the cite! In any event, that settled it.

It's just a funny little story. But it does show that they were seriously testing the lighting. Doesn't have to mean they taped anything, though.

I swear!

I swear, Doc, this anecdote is real! I would not pull your leg. I'm so frustrated, because I can't get to the books immediately. I'm on antibiotics because my jaw flared up again, and I just can't run upstairs. But I swear it!

I will retrieve the cite! Just need a bit of patience.

rjm

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:09 am

Okay. This is FROM the original, but is regurgitated by Alana Nash for the Australia site. This is NOT where I first read it, which should be in one of the books cited in her article - if she properly cited the source. She doesn't footnote properly.

Executive producer Bob Finkel had, for the most part, kept the Colonel occupied and jocular. He also tried a little levity on Elvis. At one point, Finkel informed Elvis that his blue-black hair was so dark they needed to add highlights it to keep it from producing an aura in the lights. 'Do you think my hair's too black?' Elvis asked incredulously. 'In those days, we didn't have as much technical ability', Finkel remembers. 'So, I went to Colonel Parker and said, 'Colonel, we're going to have to do something with Elvis' hair because it's flaring'. He said, 'No, you're going to do something about it, Finkel. I ain't tellin' him about his hair'. I said, 'Well, okay, but ask him to see me tomorrow morning before the rehearsal'.
'That morning I came in and there was Elvis, who was never anything but prompt. We went into the dressing room, and he said, 'Mr. Finkel, sir, I'm very sensitive about my hair, sir'. I put my thumb under my [hair]piece, pulled it off my head and threw it on the floor. I said, 'So am I, Elvis. Now what did you want to talk to me about?' And his mouth dropped. He was stunned. I don't remember exactly how we got out of that dressing room, because he and his guys were laughing, and I had to put the darn thing back on again. But the Colonel asked me later, 'How did you fellows come out?' I said, 'I think we got him to do something'.

. . .


{Nash's messy citation list - no footnotes}

Elvis Presley VideoSteve Binder Talks about Elvis and The '68 Comeback Special
Elvis Presley VideoSteve Binder and Bones Howe talk about the '68 Comeback Special
Article Interview with Steve Binder
Article Interview with Bones Howe
Elvis Presley Article An In-depth look at the Elvis : '68 Comeback Special
Elvis Presley Review Review : 68 Comeback Special Deluxe Edition DVD

Buy Elvis '68 Comeback Special DVD
Buy Let Yourself Go The Making of 'Elvis' : The Comeback Special CD
More Interviews
Elvis Presley Article Linda Thompson Remembers Elvis Presley + Elvis' chow, Getlow
Elvis Presley Article June Juanico Remembers Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley Article Interview with Barbara Eden
Elvis Presley Article Mary Ann Mobley Remembers Elvis Presley
Articles
Elvis Presley Article Andreas van Kuijk - Colonel Tom Parker
Alanna nash is the author of the books;
Buy Elvis And The Memphis Mafia
Buy The Colonel : The Extraordinary Story of Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis Presley
Buy The '68 Comeback Special DVD
Buy Elvis: The Complete '68 Comeback Special 4 CD Deluxe Box Set
Elvis: The Complete '68 Comeback Special
Elvis: The Complete '68 Comeback Special

-
This article [COPYRIGHT SIGN] Copyright Elvis Australia : No part of this article maybe re-printed for public display without permission.


http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_comeback_special_by_alanna_nash.shtml

To repeat, I never saw *this* article before! Not in my life! She/they snagged it from a book. A GOOD book! Which is where I read it.

This is the closest I can get tonight. If only they had heard of footnotes!

rjm
P.S. -- When I find it, we may see that they did not list the correct source.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by rjm on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 am

rjm wrote:Okay. This is FROM the original, but is regurgitated by Alana Nash for the Australia site.


In general, I never rely on that site for any information on Elvis, as it is notorious for its inaccuracies.

What you copy is actually something Alanna Nash wrote for the Nov/Dec 2008 issue of the Saturday Evening Post.


Saturday Evening Post NovDec 2008.JPG



In fact, I'll wager neither Nash nor the Post has any idea the site copied and posted the text (and typically added their own disingenuous copyright). The citations you include at the end are NOT from Nash, and have nothing to do with the 2008 magazine article. The website put them there to direct readers to other, similar pages.

Finally, the Finkel anecdote regarding Elvis' hair finishes on a note of ambiguity:

"But the Colonel asked me later, 'How did you fellows come out?' I said, 'I think we got him to do something.'"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:Okay. This is FROM the original, but is regurgitated by Alana Nash for the Australia site.


In general, I never rely on that site for any information on Elvis, as it is notorious for its inaccuracies.

What you copy is actually something Alanna Nash wrote for the Nov/Dec 2008 issue of the Saturday Evening Post.


Saturday Evening Post NovDec 2008.JPG



In fact, I'll wager neither Nash nor the Post has any idea the site copied and posted the text (and typically added their own disingenuous copyright). The citations you include at the end are NOT from Nash, and have nothing to do with the 2008 magazine article. The website put them there to direct readers to other, similar pages.

Finally, the Finkel anecdote regarding Elvis' hair finishes on a note of ambiguity:

"But the Colonel asked me later, 'How did you fellows come out?' I said, 'I think we got him to do something.'"


My apologies to Nash. But I did not get it from that site. That, I know. I didn't read it on the Internet at all. Perhaps the Post has some sort of syndication thing, or did. Because I remember where I was sitting, and laughing when I read it! And there was no computer there.

I don't read the Sat. evening Post, but part of it in is her The Col. book (p.243), but not the whole quote, which must have been reprinted elsewhere. Because I don't read the Post. But, yes, it's from Nash, because some of it is in her own book. Since I did not read it on the Australia site, I have no idea where it was reprinted. But I sure remember it! Gaar's book came out in 2010, so Nash wins.

It's a lovely little story! Elvis seems so sweet and vulnerable (which brought to mind Gaar, except for last line, which is not her style), and it's really funny! 'tis the wide gulf between 33 and 50. LOL! (At least for many men.)

Anyway, many thanks for tracking it down! It's such a cute story! I have this filing system in my head, but my head needs tidying up! It's all up there, though! :smt005

Thank you for taking the time to track it down, again.

rjm

The Doc Rocks

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 am

robbie wrote:Because it was only a rehearsal



so??? :? If you look at the DVD box of the 68 Show you will see many rehearsals...
What if.... they did film it and it is hidden somewhere to be released in about 5 years?
when they repack it and call it 68 Comeback Directors Cut show....

People tend to milk that cow called Elvis just to keep the flow going on...

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:25 am

rjm wrote:Nothing was on film, per se. It was on videotape, which is why we can't have Blu-Ray of any of it. This was apparently only captured on still photos.


What?

The footage for the special being filmed to videotape has nothing to do with its possibility of being on Blu-Ray. The footage will never be HIGH DEFINITION in the same way the 35mm films can be, but standard definition video could definitely be put on any Blu-Ray disc. The major issue holding a Blu-Ray release would be that the video can't really be cleaned up any more than it was on the 3-disc box set. At best, they put the same master files from those discs on Blu-Ray slightly less compressed or fully uncompressed and the average consumer doesn't notice a thing because the difference is negligible.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:48 am

I take your point. But for what reason would they put out Standard Definition on a Blu-Ray, excepting short excerpts?

We cannot have true HD, which is generally expected on a Blu-Ray. It cannot be streamed in true HD, either.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:06 am

moffringa wrote:
robbie wrote:Because it was only a rehearsal



so??? :? If you look at the DVD box of the 68 Show you will see many rehearsals...
What if.... they did film it and it is hidden somewhere to be released in about 5 years?
when they repack it and call it 68 Comeback Directors Cut show....

People tend to milk that cow called Elvis just to keep the flow going on...

I can remember no rehearsals on that DVD box set. There are numerous outtakes but no rehearsals. Big difference.

Re: Blue outfit for 68 comeback, was it Filmed.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:52 pm

stevelecher wrote:
moffringa wrote:
robbie wrote:Because it was only a rehearsal



so??? :? If you look at the DVD box of the 68 Show you will see many rehearsals...
What if.... they did film it and it is hidden somewhere to be released in about 5 years?
when they repack it and call it 68 Comeback Directors Cut show....

People tend to milk that cow called Elvis just to keep the flow going on...

I can remember no rehearsals on that DVD box set. There are numerous outtakes but no rehearsals. Big difference.



I think moffringa was saying that he saw photos of the rehearsals on the box itself, I don't think he was inferring that there is video of the Blue Outfit rehearsals.It sure would be a big awesome gift to Elvis fans if there is video of those rehearsals that someday will come out, that would be a major find 8)