Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years

Memphis and America FTDs

Post by Pete Dube »

I received these two FTDs about a week ago, and finished listening to them a couple of days ago.
Memphis: I love this set! The sound quality of this material has never been better. Great job FTD team!

America: This being a 1976 show I expected to do a lot of wincing, but I have to say that, of the three '76 soundboards released by FTD thus far, I found this to be the easiest listen. Granted that may be damning the show with faint praise, but I came away enjoying this show on the whole. The major wince-inducing moment for me was the sound of the female backing singers (namely Kathy) on If You Love Me, Let Me Know.
Last edited by Pete Dube on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Re: Memphis and Ameica FTDs

Post by BigredG »

Pete Dube wrote:America: This being a 1976 show I expected to do a lot of wincing, but I have to say that, of the three '76 soundboards released by FTD thus far, I found this to be the easiest listen. Granted that may be damning the show with faint praise, but I came away enjoying this show on the whole. The major wince-inducing moment for me was the sound of the female backing singers (namely Kathy) on If You Love Me, Let Me Know.
Yes, I agree. This FTD got "bad press" here on FECC, but I really enjoyed it. The mix of the tape got panned, but it is only truly bad in the song you mention. Perhaps they turned the mic down on the girls after this song !! :smt002

Haven't played it for about a month, so I am gonna give it another spin now !!

PS You spelled America wrong Pete !!

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TONY »

I find "America" (the FTD CD containing a 1976 concert, named after a song) is an insult to Elvis' name and memory. Whilst the actual show isn't too bad, the sound balance is atrocious and therefore doesn't anywhere near represent what the audience heard / saw that night. Poor packaging once again too. I shall NEVER waste valuable listening time on this one again when there is so much decent stuff to hear. But, hey, this was all discussed a couple of months back!

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Johanesson »

Could somebody upload a short seguement (sound sample) of "If You Love Me, Let Me Know" please? I won't be able to afford this CD within a few months but i'd really like to hear this insult :lol:
By the way,i think i will enjoy this CD,because i like Kathy and the Sweets so if they are too prominent in the mix that's absolutely not problem for me. The set-list is the same so at least there's something that's different.

TONY

Post by TONY »

So, lets make the next FTD soundboard release 'different' by drowning Elvis' voice completely out and have Charlie Hodge and Sherrill Neilsen right up over it in the 'mix'!!??? That'll be awful, but, hey, it's different! :?:

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

TONY wrote:So, lets make the next FTD soundboard release 'different' by drowning Elvis' voice completely out and have Charlie Hodge and Sherrill Neilsen right up over it in the 'mix'!!??? That'll be awful, but, hey, it's different! :?:
Hey,that was the mistake of the sound engineer 32 years ago,FTD has nothing to do with it. Soundboards are not perfect and that is that.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Johanesson wrote:
TONY wrote:So, lets make the next FTD soundboard release 'different' by drowning Elvis' voice completely out and have Charlie Hodge and Sherrill Neilsen right up over it in the 'mix'!!??? That'll be awful, but, hey, it's different! :?:
Hey,that was the mistake of the sound engineer 32 years ago,FTD has nothing to do with it. Soundboards are not perfect and that is that.
Well said!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Topic author
Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

BIGREDG wrote: PS You spelled America wrong Pete !!
Duly noted and corrected Red ... my coffee hadn't kicked in.

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

Johanesson wrote:
It was even a mistake...the engineer was NOT there to provide a balanced mix to 2-track tape, he was mixing for the house.
And in fact, if anything, it was done on purpose if the idea that this was recorded for the Sweets to listen back to hold true.
Despite the iffy mix, Elvis' performance is a good one for '76 and it's worth it for Its Now or Never and How Great Thou Art alone!

Axe

YDKM

Re: Memphis and America FTDs

Post by YDKM »

:roll: I agre with all above comments, because of the awful sound of 'if you love me' i cannot suffer playing this cd any more - despite the performance being quite good.thankfully i believe everyone will be 'delighted' with the sound presented on the next FTD 'i'll remember you' :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

YDKM wrote::roll: I agre with all above comments, because of the awful sound of 'if you love me' i cannot suffer playing this cd any more - despite the performance being quite good.thankfully i believe everyone will be 'delighted' with the sound presented on the next FTD 'i'll remember you' :roll:
I would normally just press the skip button for If You Love Me (Let Me Know) anyway so no great loss here :mrgreen:

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

TONY wrote:I find "America" (the FTD CD containing a 1976 concert, named after a song) is an insult to Elvis' name and memory. Whilst the actual show isn't too bad, the sound balance is atrocious and therefore doesn't anywhere near represent what the audience heard / saw that night.
Do you honestly think FTD can do anything with a MONO cassette tape recorded over thirty years ago by the sound engineer? They certainly can't change the mix!

Some people on here amaze me with their comments!

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Keith F wrote:
TONY wrote: the sound balance is atrocious and therefore doesn't anywhere near represent what the audience heard / saw that night.
Do you honestly think FTD can do anything with a MONO cassette tape recorded over thirty years ago by the sound engineer? They certainly can't change the mix!

Some people on here amaze me with their comments!
I for one would cut off my right arm just to have been there!!!!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

YDKM wrote:....because of the awful sound of 'if you love me' i cannot suffer playing this cd any more....
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) pretty much blows on every live CD, so that shouldn't have been the deciding factor here.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

midnightx wrote:
YDKM wrote:....because of the awful sound of 'if you love me' i cannot suffer playing this cd any more....
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) pretty much blows on every live CD, so that shouldn't have been the deciding factor here.
Never thought I would endorse a post by Midnightx either, but big AMEM there too!!!

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

TONY wrote:I find "America" (the FTD CD containing a 1976 concert, named after a song) is an insult to Elvis' name and memory. Whilst the actual show isn't too bad, the sound balance is atrocious and therefore doesn't anywhere near represent what the audience heard / saw that night.
How could a CD represent what the audience saw that night?
This is not a DVD :D

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

BIGREDG wrote: Yes, I agree. This FTD got "bad press" here on FECC, but I really enjoyed it.
Graham,many thanks for the IYLMLMK mp3!!!

TONY

Post by TONY »

Johanesson wrote:[
My gripe isn't with the way it was originally recorded as it was never intended for release. I also have no gripe with the overall sound of shows released via FTD or bootleg from a soundboard source; I have virtually all that have been put out. My gripe with "America" (the FTD CD featuring a live show from 1976) is that there are several shows that could have been released in place of this and I find with the atrocious sound balance the way it is, it does nothing to add to the overview of Elvis' career and at the price charged, it is like being saddled with faulty goods. If the sound was a per usual releases, I wouldn't have a problem with my purchase.