Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How would you like to see the box sets remastered

All non-secular masters released in Chronological order cutting live stuff and leaving them for their respective sets on FTD or extra set, with newly found masters and left offs from first sets put in their place
59%
Re-remastered exactly how the songs were represented the first time
31%
Don't want box sets remastered
10%

Total votes : 29

New box sets polll

Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:57 am

If the new box sets are released re-remastered, I would like to see them done right. Please vote on the following, who knows, maybe someone is watching.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:02 am

hmm, how did we vote?

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:54 am

I apparantly went for the majority choice :) . I do understand the commercial logic behind the original releases though. The 50s and 60s box went a long way in offering the (almost) complete masters, while the 70s box set had a whole different concept. It was more an attempt in damage control: when you already are convinced Elvis 70s period was bad, and that it needed defending, you would have come up with the 70s box set we now have more or less. It does present Elvis in a more favorable light for the mass audience. But for the real hardcore fans it was frustrating, not having all the 70s studio masters in one place. Too bad.

FTD is a relative new thing: now that it exists I think the idea behind releasing such regular box sets like the 50s-60s-70s sets needs to be rethought. Most alternate takes etc. are better off on the FTD label. I think the complete studio masters need to be adressed and released on regular BMG box sets FIRST before they come up with box sets with alternate takes. That's not to say I don't welcome the upcoming "Close up" box set. But the strategic policy at BMG could be better. Like Frank used to say, Genesim: "If it wasn't broke, there would be no fun in fixing it, trying to make it work better". Ohhh... that Frank ...you gotta love him above all, right? :lol:

Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:24 pm

James27, I got just 2 words for you. "Gone Fishin'"

Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:36 pm

I think the problem with this from BMG’s point of view would be whether the box set would be any more appealing to the casual buyer if it included every secular master, and no live recordings? The likely answer is no when you compare the quality, and popularity of the live performances included in the original set, against the secular material that was left off the set in favour of it.

Of course as a fan it would be nice to have the missing songs in better sound quality than we already have, but maybe FTD is now the best outlet for this material. The format of the original set gave a very positive, and entertaining overview of Elvis’ ’70’s work for the casual buyer, and any changes to this format would only really appeal to the Presley fan base. So why buy five (or possibly six) discs again when you can buy two? I think an FTD release of the missing tracks is the best option.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:53 pm

First of all, the sets I hear are getting remastered. Also, there are new masters and acetates that have been found, so the 50's and 60's would benefit a little. Lastly, the 70's was the worst selling of the set. Maybe, just maybe, that might have to do with fanatics that didn't want to buy, because of stuff being left off. The 70's got the highest vote on this board. People obviously want the rest of the songs. For the new fans, this is a excellent way for them to collect all of E's studio material. They need remastering, and this is the perfect opportunity for RCA/BMG to get it right. Again, who is the judge of "what is essential". Why not just release it all with no judgement being made.

THe live singles didn't belong on the 70's set either. They belong with their respective concerts. Home recordings belong with home recordings and so on. Master sessions have the best available quality, and in my opinion, is the most important aspect of Elvis' career. They all should be released in the best sound quality. Chronolical, and in pristine quality. Perfect for sitting back and listening to the Evolution of E. From My Happiness to Its Easy For You!(Or was it She thinks I still care. lol)

Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:54 pm

Just don't want to buy the sets all over again.

The only thing wich needs an ugrade is the 70's box.

I mean the masters wich we have not on a set. Still waiting for that one, in superior sound.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:21 pm

So you don't want the other stuff put in from the 50's and 60's. In the right order!! What about Come What May corrected? If you don't want them, then don't buy them, is what I say! I for one, would like to have these box sets done right and put right up high on a mantle!!

Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:45 pm

There’s been no official news from BMG that these sets are due to be re-mastered. They were deleted temporarily as part of the marketing push behind “ELV1S”, and have now been restored to BMG’s list of 50 essential albums, with the same catalogue numbers as the original issues. As has been pointed out here before, when this happens online retailers normally list them as a new digitally mastered release, but they are effectively straight re-issues of the original titles.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:47 pm

Genesim -

Well, we voted in your poll.

Just one thing, when you said 'non-secular' did you mean 'non-sacred' ?

Makes a lot of difference !!

Hope the voters understood what you meant & not what you wrote !

LOL !

Colin B

Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:57 pm

I think people could figure it out, but thanks for pointing it out Colin B. That is pretty funny. WOuld be a short box set wouldn't it!