Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Kissin´ Cousins FTD now!!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Personally I'd place Kissin' Cousins firmly in the bottom 5 soundtracks. Lets get it over with and bring out a single disc, 7" FTD with whatever odds and ends are available.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:41 pm

r&b wrote:FTD label is ok for the hardcore collector, but dont subject the public to this awful LP

That's why the title of the thread is "Kissin' Cousins FTD now!!".

Embarassing or awful to some maybe but in the context of Elvis' career it was just another piece in the jigsaw of immortality.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm

I kinda liked the soundtrack too but wondered about the bad sound quality, back when I bought the album in 1987. But "Barefoot Ballad" was the bottom by far. Never liked the movie neither. What a crappy piece of sh*t.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
r&b wrote:FTD label is ok for the hardcore collector, but dont subject the public to this awful LP

That's why the title of the thread is "Kissin' Cousins FTD now!!".

Embarassing or awful to some maybe but in the context of Elvis' career it was just another piece in the jigsaw of immortality.

Yes but you never know. The label did release some single disc soundtracks the last few years, among them the indifferent Girl Happy. That should have been kept under wraps if you ask me.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm

r&b wrote:This came out in the USA just as Beatlemania was breaking early in 1964. To say Elvis sounded dated is an understatement. Yes, good vocals (better than Clambake and ECEG) but dire material except for 1 or 2 songs. I hope this never makes the mainstream again. Its an embarrasment to his legacy. FTD label is ok for the hardcore collector, but dont subject the public to this awful LP. No one will ever whistle along to Smokey Mountain Boy!

The Beatles also sound dated today. It was so long ago. Beatlemania... That all happened when dinosaurs walked the earth. At this point, there is no need to worry about how an Elvis soundtrack was reviewed back then, or what the public willl think of it today, because nobody in the mainstream will buy it anyway. Let's just enjoy it for what it is -- a nice, clean, fun album with some perfect singing from our boy. Bring it on, Ernst, make it happen!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 pm

You call "Catchin' On Fast" clean? :wink:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Rob wrote:
KevinK wrote:I actually really like the Kissin Cousins soundtrack. I'm perfectly aware of how substandard it is, but I just have a soft spot for it.

Even Barefoot Ballad?

Ouch.

Maybe not so much as the rest of the tracks, but yes. Even 'Barefoot Ballad'. :oops:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 pm

I loved this LP since i bought it for the first time back in 1988...
Its a fun album and FTD should release this one , really too bad there are no outakes....
But ill buy this anyway ;)
Great picture sleeve , very colourful, like Roustabout...thats another one FTD should release

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm not sure if the multi-tracks for Kissin' Cousins have ever been found, so a remix at this stage would be out of the question. However, it remains unclear on how the solo hillbilly vocal overdub of Kissin' Cousins [take 1] was made available for release on the Silver Screen Stereo ftd, back in 2001.
I would guess, the album master, as heard in it's current state, is at least one generation away from what one could reasonably expect to hear today. Further, it's a possibility, that the heavy un-Bill Porter-like reverb heard on these soundtrack recordings, was mixed in after the final album master was created - thus losing a tape generation in the process, and hence the obtrusive tape hiss clearly evident.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:22 pm

LesterB wrote:Elvis voice sounds so good on this soundtrack that I cannot even hear the rubbish he is singing.

Now that was one cool statement! Used to be glad when I didn't understood what he was singing. :D

I just wonder... a 50th anniversary FTD edition would be quite nice.

And we'd probably get the complete "Echoes Of Love" and "(It's A) Long Lonely Highway" session. :wink:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

luckyjackson1 wrote:
LesterB wrote:Elvis voice sounds so good on this soundtrack that I cannot even hear the rubbish he is singing.

Now that was one cool statement! Used to be glad when I didn't understood what he was singing. :D

And we'd probably get the complete "Echoes Of Love" and "(It's A) Long Lonely Highway" session. :wink:

You had a bad night my friend? :smt005. The complete sessions of the two songs you mentioned were included in the excellent FTD 2 cd release: Elvis Sings Memphis Tennessee 8). Do you have this release?, if not you should buy it!. Bye for now :smt006.

Last edited by Mike Windgren on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I just wonder... a 50th anniversary FTD edition would be quite nice.

Nice? It would be wonderful! I'm playing the "Stay Away, Joe" FTD on a regular basis, and it's a real hoot. I want more '60s soundtracks from FTD. If no outtakes can be located, well, that is a shame, but I want them anyway. I'd rather have very short albums than no albums at all. And maybe there are things like single versions, mono versions, radio spots, etc, that can be included instead.

Say NO to soundboards, say YES to soundtracks!

...or better yet, say YES to both.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I have re-read this topic again from start and checked the link for the audio I provided for the song Tender Feelings but it has expired :cry:. I will repost it again just to show what a beautiful voice Elvis had during this recording session :smt007. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/29751599/file.html

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:05 pm

KevinK wrote:I actually really like the Kissin Cousins soundtrack.

I'm perfectly aware of how substandard it is, but I just have a soft spot for it. Something to do with listening to it a lot when I was younger perhaps. And for years I only had it on cassette. Now I have it on The Complete Masters, but I hate dragging that thing out every time I want to listen to something I don't have elsewhere.

I'd definitely pick up a copy of the FTD if they were to put it out.

never picked up the double features cd?
this is where i have it on cd. don' t have the complete masters set.

ps : i always hated the bad sound quality on this soundtrack.....and his singing on "catchin on fast" sounds very bored and like a rush-through-job....clearly not his best singing..

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 pm

bajo wrote:I see no reason, other than lack of outtakes, why this soundtrack should not find it's way into the classic series. We've had Clambake and Easy Come, Easy Go then there's also room for the remaining soundtracks. I agree that Elvis was in good voice and spirit singing those songs. Technically it was a step down from previous soundtracks. Even so, Kissin' Cousins deserves the treatment like the other soundtracks.
I'm eagerly awaiting Roustabout, Speedway, Flaming Star and the remaining late '60's soundtracks too. Bring 'em on Ernst! :)

Flaming Star should be easier to bring out because Sony/FTD have all the sessions tapes. I guess it could be a single FTD release like Wild In The Country. The problem with the others, is not if they should come out or not, (they will eventually one way or another), it's the mere sad fact that Sony/FTD don't have the session tapes for them. It's a pity, a shame and a disaster! But unfortunately, this seems to be the situation at the present. Hope a near future will deny my assumption here. Roustabout and Kissin' Cousins are most enjoyable albums. In past years of LPs I played these two an infinite number of time. I just dug them and still do today. So YES, bring them on, but not that soon, if no new tapes have not been located. There are enough material available in the meantime to release yet: Moody Blue, August 70's complete shows yet unreleased, Elvis (the second lp of the 50's) and we could go on like that. G.I. Blues Volume 2 must be slated for release this year I assume. I guess Ernst waits to give time as chance so that these lost tapes might just pop out one day. Okay, I'm probably dreaming here, but who would have guessed that some rare recordings could have come out like the ones we got from the early 50's?

What pisses me off about that issue, is that in the USA, where the lost tapes are, if they still exist, nobody seems to look for them. Well if they do we never hear or read about it. Maybe because, some researches are indeed done but they must be done quietly, patiently and like a detective work with finesse and not forgetting that the inquirers are not after the "owners" but after the tapes. I feel some effort should be done, first by EPE and also by Sony - not only FTD - to try to locate these gems. And probably some fans, who would have serious information could contribute also. In the past, a call to anybody who could help, in may cases ended up nowhere, because a lot of it we're bull... just to get the attention. So it is a delicate task.I think Ernst is wise in putting a hold on Kissin' Cousins and Roustabout and gives priorties to what that have complete in the archives at the moment. After that, well if nothing comes out, they'll have to adress them like they did with what they had for Girls Girls Girls. But Oh I would love to have Kissin' Cousins and Roustabout on the Classic Series. It's still a mystery to me why these tapes disapeared and others didn't. Any clue anybody?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Tornado wrote:
bajo wrote:I think Ernst is wise in putting a hold on Kissin' Cousins and Roustabout and gives priorties to what that have complete in the archives at the moment. After that, well if nothing comes out, they'll have to adress them like they did with what they had for Girls Girls Girls. But Oh I would love to have Kissin' Cousins and Roustabout on the Classic Series. It's still a mystery to me why these tapes disapeared and others didn't. Any clue anybody?

It´s my understanding that there are no lost session tapes on Kissin´ Cousins, it is just that Elvis overdubbed the whole session, so only alternate vocal overdubs exist :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Steelback wrote:Personally I'd place Kissin' Cousins firmly in the bottom 5 soundtracks. Lets get it over with and bring out a single disc, 7" FTD with whatever odds and ends are available.

Agreed.

"Kissin' Cousins" is an abysmal soundtrack, which no doubt helped add several shovelfuls of dirt to the career grave he was digging in Hollywood.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 pm

'Tender Feeling' is the only decent song on the Kissin' Cousins soundtrack.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Steelback wrote:Personally I'd place Kissin' Cousins firmly in the bottom 5 soundtracks. Lets get it over with and bring out a single disc, 7" FTD with whatever odds and ends are available.

Agreed.

"Kissin' Cousins" is an abysmal soundtrack, which no doubt helped add several shovelfuls of dirt to the career grave he was digging in Hollywood.

Don't be a party pooper, Doc! Lighten up and enjoy the fun of Elvis in Hollywood...

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Tornado wrote:
bajo wrote:I think Ernst is wise in putting a hold on Kissin' Cousins and Roustabout and gives priorties to what that have complete in the archives at the moment. After that, well if nothing comes out, they'll have to adress them like they did with what they had for Girls Girls Girls. But Oh I would love to have Kissin' Cousins and Roustabout on the Classic Series. It's still a mystery to me why these tapes disapeared and others didn't. Any clue anybody?

It´s my understanding that there are no lost session tapes on Kissin´ Cousins, it is just that Elvis overdubbed the whole session, so only alternate vocal overdubs exist :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

I agree. Kissin' Cousins can only offer a vocal overdubbed sessions done by our man. Only contrary to some here I don't despise movie soundtracks. I love Kissin' Cousins as such and I also combine it with the 1963-64 sessions when I listen to it. As for Roustabout, it hurts to know that there was a real recording sessions but the damn tapes are still unvailable, at least to my knowledge. Only I'm A Roustabout was discovered in acetate format and Little Egypt and Roustabout have one outtakes.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:18 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

Tornado wrote:I agree. Kissin' Cousins can only offer a vocal overdubbed sessions done by our man. Only contrary to some here I don't despise movie soundtracks. I love Kissin' Cousins. As for Roustabout, it hurts to know that there was a real recording sessions but the damn tapes are still unvailable, at least to my knowledge. Only I'm A Roustabout was discovered in acetate format and Little Egypt and Roustabout have one outtakes.

I love Elvis movie soundtracks as well :wink:. It´s quite possible that we could have the complete session for Roustabout as we already had a couple of outtakes of the song 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:26 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Agreed.

Don't be a party pooper, Doc! Lighten up and enjoy the fun of Elvis in Hollywood...

It's almost like enjoying the fun of "Elvis In Concert"...

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:56 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:

You had a bad night my friend? :smt005. The complete sessions of the two songs you mentioned were included in the excellent FTD 2 cd release: Elvis Sings Memphis Tennessee 8). Do you have this release?, if not you should buy it!. Bye for now :smt006.

Hey Mike, yeah I actually had a bad night - thanks to the "super moon". It's a shame I totally forgot about that marvellous FTD release - unfortunately I never owned the original discs... :(
One fine day I'll buy them all! :wink:

Regarding "Kissin' Cousins": What Ernst and maybe Sebastian should do is use the original tapes including the instrumental tracks and vocal overdubs and prepare some new mixes. But not like "Santa Lucia", which contains a slight mistake now and makes Elvis sound off-beat after that mistake.

And thanks for "Tender Feeling" - is it a mono mix?

I'd rate the soundtrack like this:

1. Tender Feeling
2. Kissin' Cousins
3. Once Is Enough
4. Anyone (Could Fall In Love With You)
5. Catchin' On Fast
6. One Boy, Two Little Girls
7. There's Gold In The Mountains
8. Smokey Mountain Boy
9. Kissin' Cousins (No. 2)
10. Barefoot Ballad

Actually always had a soft spot for "Anyone (Could Fall In Love With You)" but didn't listen to it in years. :oops:

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:42 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:

luckyjackson1 wrote:

Hey Mike, yeah I actually had a bad night - thanks to the "super moon". It's a shame I totally forgot about that marvellous FTD release - unfortunately I never owned the original discs... :(

Regarding "Kissin' Cousins": What Ernst and maybe Sebastian should do is use the original tapes including the instrumental tracks and vocal overdubs and prepare some new mixes. But not like "Santa Lucia", which contains a slight mistake now and makes Elvis sound off-beat after that mistake.

1. Tender Feeling
2. Kissin' Cousins
3. Once Is Enough
5. Catchin' On Fast
8. Smokey Mountain Boy
10. Barefoot Ballad

Actually always had a soft spot for "Anyone (Could Fall In Love With You)" but didn't listen to it in years. :oops:

I'll settle for that. Love the film - though most definitely not a classic I like its wacky charm and comedic moments - Pappy's a funny character and the fact Elvis plays dual roles - bring on the FTD soundtrack!!
And those crazy Kittyhawks...

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

luckyjackson1 wrote:

1. Tender Feeling
2. Kissin' Cousins
3. Once Is Enough
5. Catchin' On Fast
8. Smokey Mountain Boy
10. Barefoot Ballad

I'll settle for that. Love the film - though most definitely not a classic I like its wacky charm and comedic moments - Pappy's a funny character and the fact Elvis plays dual roles - bring on the FTD soundtrack!!
And those crazy Kittyhawks...

Well, I posted my opinion about the film a little more on top of this side... :wink: