Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

KISSIN´ COUSINS FTD RELEASE!.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:11 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Just finished watching the movie Kissin´Cousins, yes I know it is not one of the memorable Elvis movies :roll:. But what a voice Elvis had on this soundtrack, just beautiful :smt020. It is from the same year Elvis recorded songs for The Memphis Tennessee FTD release. If I am not wrong, the complete session excist in the RCA vaults, but Ernst Jorgensen stated that it wouldn´t be interesting because of the overdubbing Elvis put on this soundtrack. Well I am interested for sure, hearing those alternates takes for the songs Tender Feeling, One Boy Two Little Girls or Anyone would be amazing 8). Please Mr. Jorgensen release this soundtrack on FTD. Thank you. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!.
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Kissin´ Cousins FTD now!!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:37 am

A couple of the songs were edited when originally released (Catching on Fast, and Kissing Cousins #2), so there will be at least 2 'new' tracks. The vocal overdubs were accomplished in at a minimum of 2 takes (with the exception of 'Tender Feeling' which Elvis did in 1 take), so there should be (if tapes were saved) a couple different versions of the vocals. Could be a very nice set...there are some nice ballads on there (Anyone, Tender Feeling). I like the other songs too (except for Barefoot Ballad and Smokey Mountain Boy, but they work well in context of the film).

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:40 am

All in good time, Mike, all in good time.

Ernst needs to scratch up a few more alternates of "Smokey Mountain Boy" first.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:07 am

KISSIN COUSINS FTD ! NOW NOW NOW ! cant wait ..... :wink:
lior :smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:All in good time, Mike, all in good time.

Ernst needs to scratch up a few more alternates of "Smokey Mountain Boy" first.

I bet it is Kevan Budd's audio restoration work on these tracks which takes so long.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Marc Haegeman wrote:I bet it is Kevan Budd's audio restoration work on these tracks which takes so long.

Oh, I think Kevan's more of a "King Creole" kind of guy, if you catch my drift.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Good topic, Mike. I have been talking about this album a lot here on the board. I would LOVE to see it on FTD some day, because like you said, Elvis did sing really good during these sessions. And there are a bunch of catchy tunes on there. A bonus is that, in the past, FTD has come up with fantastic booklets to the soundtracks: nice colours, cool photos, plenty of sweet record sleeves... The booklets they did for "Harum Scarum", "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" and those albums are their best yet.

Bring... it... ON!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Elvis did sing really good during these sessions. And there are a bunch of catchy tunes on there.

Sing really good? A bunch of catchy tunes? I thought we were talking about the Kissin' Cousins OST.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Elvis did sing really good during these sessions. And there are a bunch of catchy tunes on there.

Sing really good? A bunch of catchy tunes? I thought we were talking about the Kissin' Cousins OST.

Yes, and he also sang really good on "Harum Scarum". Ask your friend Ernst. Or maybe Roger. One of them wrote in the "Harum Scarum" booklet:

1. "Elvis /.../ returns to the recording studio to record the outstanding lead vocals for the soundtrack."

2. "Mercifully, the songs stand the test of time and 'So Close, Yet So Far' has always been a big favourite with fans."

They then went on to design their best booklet ever. And topped it all off with a fantastic -- and a bit sinister -- photo of Parker and Elvis on the last page.

God bless these guys!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:30 pm

Elvis voice sounds so good on this soundtrack that I cannot even hear the rubbish he is singing.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:05 pm

Keith, you may be right about Harum Scarum, but I gotta agree with the Doc on Kissin’ Cousins. "Tender Feeling" is amazing, but I’m afraid that’s about it.

Per

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:31 pm

california boy wrote:KISSIN COUSINS FTD ! NOW NOW NOW ! cant wait ..... :wink:
lior :smt006

bisKissinCC.jpg

your pic was the wrong way round california boy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

It´s great to have the respond we had from all of you on this topic, I see I´m not alone on this smt131. And Mr. Keith Flynn what´s your opinion on this?. Do you really think it would be a good release :?:, you sure have more inside info on this recording session. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:49 pm

I always thought Tender Feeling sounded a bit as if the record was "slipping", like when you stacked too many on the old fashioned players

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:48 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I always thought Tender Feeling sounded a bit as if the record was "slipping", like when you stacked too many on the old fashioned players

I used to like this song when it first came out but gradually went off it over the years. I preferred Shenandoah.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_No4g5ZULI8

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:43 pm

Aah Doc, why always this sarcastic way to denigrate what you don't like ? I really appreciate most of your comments or initiatives on this board. They are often informatives, interesting and well-advised, although sometimes a bit sententious.
But, you ain't necessarily right all the time. Since the day I first listened to the Kissin Cousins album back in 1964, I always thought it isn't that bad. I have to confess I don't especially like Smokey Mountain Boy, Barefoot Ballad, or even Once Is Enough (except for Boots' fine sax solo). But the # 2 version of the song Kissin Cousins and Tender Feeling, that adaption of the famous Shenandoah, are really 2 very good songs. Beside that, I must admit that I really like the other version of Kissin Cousins (the one sang over the film credits) and There's Gold In The Mountains, and that I have my pleasure listening to ballads like On Boy, Two Little Girls or Anyone or the catchy Catching On Fast ( the then N° 1 french rock mag Disco Revue found the album disappointing, but that particular song even the best of the album...!).
Ok, Kissin Cousins is no King Creole soundtrack, but Elvis sings so well besides the crystal clear Nashville sound and the fine work of the A-Team, that I vote enthusiastically for a FTD release with possible alternate vocals of it too. And I'm pretty eager too !

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:16 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:1. "Elvis /.../ returns to the recording studio to record the outstanding lead vocals for the soundtrack."

Dear Keith

I believe that on this occasion, the use of the word outstanding refers to the songs that were still to be completed and is not a reference to the quality of the music.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:11 am

i would love this ftd i have allways loved the movie and the soundtrack and for what its worth i have allways loved the song Smokey Mountain Boy ever since i first seen elvis sing in the movie on bbc 2 as a ten year old.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:47 am

FRENCHGUY wrote:Aah Doc, why always this sarcastic way to denigrate what you don't like ?

It's what he does.

In the meantime you're right, Elvis was in fine voice and several of the songs are pretty good. Personally I do like Once Is Enough and a friend and I gave it a guitar based rock 'n' roll arrangement once and it turned out fantastic - something Springsteen would have been proud of.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:43 am

"Kissin' Cousins," the single version, had Elvis alternating between his "regular" voice and his "hillbilly" voice (a splice job). I think we've had the hillbilly version sans the backing track. I'd like to hear the whole song, with backing track, with Elvis in his "regular voice." If we get that on the FTD, it will be worth the wait!!!!!

Mystery Train

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:04 am

RonBaker2003 wrote: The vocal overdubs were accomplished in at a minimum of 2 takes (with the exception of 'Tender Feeling' which Elvis did in 1 take), so there should be (if tapes were saved) a couple different versions of the vocals.

Not only different vocal versions,but completely different takes,as the pre-recorded tracks were recorded in several different takes,too. If these were saved,than Ernst will be able to create completely unheard versions.
For example,he could pair take 2 of There's Gold In The Mountains (Track) with (let's say) take 1 or take 2 of There's Gold In The Mountains (Vocal Overdub). This way both Elvis' vocal and the pre-recorded tracks would be "new".

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:40 am

MysteryTrain wrote:"Kissin' Cousins," the single version, had Elvis alternating between his "regular" voice and his "hillbilly" voice (a splice job).

Was this really a splice?

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:05 am

Hey FRENCHGUY, very nice comments! And good point about Elvis' musicians and Boots' saxsolo on "Once Is Enought". Little details like that should not be forgotten. Even a poor or mediocre song can be entertaining in the hands of Elvis and his great musicians!

George Smith wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:1. "Elvis /.../ returns to the recording studio to record the outstanding lead vocals for the soundtrack."

Dear Keith

I believe that on this occasion, the use of the word outstanding refers to the songs that were still to be completed and is not a reference to the quality of the music.

It is a reference to the quality of Elvis' voice. And they were right, he did sing really good. He doesn't sound bored as he did on some other soundtracks.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:25 am

I hope you guys get your wish. Us Concert Junkies have been well catered for lately, so it's about time you had your turn!

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:37 am

By the way, speaking of mediocre songs that still can be good for your soul. I once read an interview with Townes Van Zandt where he said that he and his band used to play the hell out of "The Shrimp Song" (as he called it, he meant "Song of the Shrimp", of course) to get in the mood for live shows and recording sessions! :shock:

Keith Richards, jr.