Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 am

Elvis Australia say Jean King

Keith Flynn says Darlene Love

Wikipedia say Darlene Love

elvisoncd.com say 'Backup vocals were by the Blossoms: Darlene Love, Fanita James and Jean King. It is Jean King that we hear sing "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" in the opening of the gospel production number. There were other backing vocalists as well.'

Also, who sings the female vocal in Let Yourself Go as it sounds very deep and different ?

Thanks

Trevor
Last edited by trevorelvis on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:09 am

Until further info surfaces, the great Darlene Love is the correct answer to all your queries.

Darlene was the leader of the Blossoms, with a rich prior history of tremendous and varied lead -- and backing -- vocals on many classic singles, most especially on tracks produced by Phil Spector, circa 1962-1965.

Why does this subject seem familiar?

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 am

Someone pmd me asking it
I see its posted below
How he thought I'd know more than all the people who replied

Please DELETE mods

Thanks Doc

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:16 am

trevorelvis wrote:Also, who sings the female vocal in Let Yourself Go as it sounds very deep and different ?


Just as an aside, did we ever get the 'duet' version on a vinyl or CD release ?

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:08 am

Dear Friends:
Have you, between in your books, the new Tunzi "68 at 40"?
I like to know if said something about my questions. I don´t have this book, but many fans tells me is very complet and up date.

I´m not sure (now) who´s sing “Let Yourself Go” female section.

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:59 am

I heard it was Priscilla , but i could be wrong

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:58 am

Jean King sang "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child"...doesn't sound anywhere near Darlene Love.

Daryl

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Sun May 01, 2011 3:43 am

Daryl wrote:Jean King sang "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child"...doesn't sound anywhere near Darlene Love.

Why not Fanita James? She was a member of the Blossoms, too. In any case, you are mistaken. It is Darlene.

Darlene Love was the leader of the Blossoms, taking the lead in almost all songs, and the vocal on "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" indeed sounds like her.

The Blossoms were regulars on ABC-TV's "Shindig!" Here are some other examples of her beautiful voice, including "Saved," the same LaVerne Baker tune Elvis sings in his 1968 show with the Blossoms backing. You should listen closely:


phpBB [video]


Darlene Love, "Saved" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 8, 1965)



phpBB [video]


Darlene Love and the Blossoms, "Tell Him" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 30, 1964)



phpBB [video]


Darlene Love and the Blossoms, "You'll Never Get To Heaven" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 23, 1964)



phpBB [video]


Darlene Love, "All Alone On Christmas" (Home Alone 2 : Lost in New York, Arista, 1992)


Darlene Love is one of the rock 'n' roll greats!

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Sun May 01, 2011 3:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:Jean King sang "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child"...doesn't sound anywhere near Darlene Love.

Why not Fanita James? She was a member of the Blossoms, too. In any case, you are mistaken. It is Darlene.

Darlene Love was the leader of the Blossoms, taking the lead in almost all songs, and the vocal on "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" indeed sounds like her.

The Blossoms were regulars on ABC-TV's "Shindig!" Here are some other examples of her beautiful voice, including "Saved," the same LaVerne Baker tune Elvis sings in his 1968 show with the Blossoms backing. You should listen closely:


phpBB [video]


Darlene Love, "Saved" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 8, 1965)



phpBB [video]


Darlene Love and the Blossoms, "Tell Him" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 30, 1964)



phpBB [video]


Darlene Love and the Blossoms, "You'll Never Get To Heaven" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 23, 1964)



phpBB [video]


Darlene Love, "All Alone On Christmas" (Home Alone 2 : Lost in New York, Arista, 1992)


Darlene Love is one of the rock 'n' roll greats!

i would have to agree with daryl !

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Sun May 01, 2011 4:07 am

exenx2995 wrote:i would have to agree with daryl !

I rest my case.

Re: Who Sings Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Sun May 01, 2011 4:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
exenx2995 wrote:i would have to agree with daryl !

I rest my case.

:smt005