Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Sergio Luiz
Registered for: 21 years

Private Presley - Elvis In Germany The missing Years

Post by Sergio Luiz »

I just picked up this book on a recent trip to USA and found it to be a very fine book, with nice text and great detail about those obscure times Elvis spent on Germany. I didnt finished it yet, but there some facts on it that caught my attention :

1- The autor, Andreas Schroer, reffering to The Pied Pipper Of Cleveland, claims that:
"After being lost for over thirty-five years, pieces of this film have now been relocated and that which remains of the original movie is to be released on video " The book first pressing is from 1993. Obviliously nothing came up so far. Does anyone know the sources of the autor for this claim? Was there any rumours regarding the discovery of the footage in the early 90´s?

2- The autor mentions the incident with the so-called South-African doctor and the letter he wrote to Elvis, threatening to tell the press all the " ultrageous things he had seen going on in the house". Does anyone knows what were the contents of this letter? What was the ultrageous things he had seen?

I

drjohncarpenter

Re: Private Presley - Elvis In Germany The missing Years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Sergio Luiz wrote:... pieces of this film have now been relocated and that which remains of the original movie is to be released on video.
!5 years on, we've gotten not a second. Oh well, now we have DVDs.
Sergio Luiz wrote:... so-called South-African doctor and the letter he wrote to Elvis ...
This is detailed in Guralnick's Careless Love. Basically, it was an extortion letter after Elvis had hired the guy for "acne-scar removal" therapy sessions at his home in Germany, then fired him after the guy made a pass.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

ScottP
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by ScottP »

Sergio Luiz wrote:I just picked up this book on a recent trip to USA and found it to be a very fine book, with nice text and great detail about those obscure times Elvis spent on Germany. I didnt finished it yet, but there some facts on it that caught my attention :

1- The autor, Andreas Schroer, reffering to The Pied Pipper Of Cleveland, claims that:
"After being lost for over thirty-five years, pieces of this film have now been relocated and that which remains of the original movie is to be released on video " The book first pressing is from 1993. Obviliously nothing came up so far. Does anyone know the sources of the autor for this claim? Was there any rumours regarding the discovery of the footage in the early 90´s?

2- The autor mentions the incident with the so-called South-African doctor and the letter he wrote to Elvis, threatening to tell the press all the " ultrageous things he had seen going on in the house". Does anyone knows what were the contents of this letter? What was the ultrageous things he had seen?

I

I have this book too, and enjoy it for all of the interesting pictures of Elvis while he was overseas. Does your copy have the Private Presley CD with it? At the time, it was the first I had heard of Elvis doing Maybelline and Tweedle Dee. Its still a great disc of early live performances and interviews.

I also recall The Pied Piper footage being talked about in Elvis A to Z, but I don't think it had been located at that time, which was 1990.

Ben

Post by Ben »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sergio Luiz wrote:... pieces of this film have now been relocated and that which remains of the original movie is to be released on video.
!5 years on, we've gotten not a second. Oh well, now we have DVDs.
How long??..............................................

Topic author
Sergio Luiz

Post by Sergio Luiz »

ScottP wrote:
Sergio Luiz wrote:I just picked up this book on a recent trip to USA and found it to be a very fine book, with nice text and great detail about those obscure times Elvis spent on Germany. I didnt finished it yet, but there some facts on it that caught my attention :

I

I have this book too, and enjoy it for all of the interesting pictures of Elvis while he was overseas. Does your copy have the Private Presley CD with it? At the time, it was the first I had heard of Elvis doing Maybelline and Tweedle Dee. Its still a great disc of early live performances and interviews.

I also recall The Pied Piper footage being talked about in Elvis A to Z, but I don't think it had been located at that time, which was 1990.
Unfortunatly my copy is the softcover edition, without the CD. I bought it, of all the places...at Universal Studios, FL.
Is there any more books that deal with this subject with evern more dept?

Thanks,

Sergio

ScottP
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by ScottP »

Sergio Luiz wrote:
ScottP wrote:

I

Unfortunatly my copy is the softcover edition, without the CD. I bought it, of all the places...at Universal Studios, FL.
Is there any more books that deal with this subject with evern more dept?

Thanks,

Sergio
Careless Love by Peter Guralnick. The first chapter deals with the period of October 1958 to March 1960 when Elvis was in the Army. From there the book continues through to Summer 1977. A fascinating and essential read, IMO. Also, Last Train To Memphis is by the same author and deals with the period of Elvis's life up to October 1958.

I am sure there are other books that deal more exlusively with Elvis's time in the army, but I can't think of a better overall read than these two.

Greetings From Germany is also a nice CD which presents home recordings of Elvis making music in Germany, and also he orders eggs at one point. Some of these can also be found on official releases such as The Home Recordings. It is quite interesting, although the primitive quality of the recording makes it a hard listen at times...Elvis's piano playing tends to overload the mic at times. There is a song on here which I am not sure has seen official release yet on anything....I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)?