Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Pearl Harbour Benefit Concert 1961

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:27 am

Never heard this concert before! Elvis sounds so self-assured and his voice has that mature early 60s quality which is so apparent on the album 'Something for Everybody' - pure and smooth. He can still wail pretty good on the 50s rockers though!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yNtfrF0 ... re=related

Re: Pearl Harbour Benefit Concert 1961

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:33 am

Would have been the live album over all live albums, if only.....

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:41 am

seems like a good place to plug this page.
http://scottymoore.net/blocharena.html

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:51 am

heathbarclay wrote:Never heard this concert before! Elvis sounds so self-assured and his voice has that mature early 60s quality which is so apparent on the album 'Something for Everybody' - pure and smooth. He can still wail pretty good on the 50s rockers though!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yNtfrF0 ... re=related

It may well be the single greatest live concert recording of Elvis Presley. It has everything you'd ever want, except for sideburns.

And I think the audio is damn listenable, despite all the naysayers here.

If Bill Porter had been able to tape it with six to eight mics in true stereo, we 'd be talking about a disc for the ages.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:55 am

I'd be interested to see what Kevan Budd could do with this recording, on a FTD release.

But yeah, Elvis' performance is terrific.

Rich
Last edited by Rich_TCB on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:56 am

Yes -- the fabulous Mr. Budd might be able to spiff it up a bit more!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It may well be the single greatest live concert recording of Elvis Presley. It has everything you'd ever want, except for sideburns.

Hard to tell really. there were loads of great recordings in the late 60s that also had the sideburns. Nevertheless, it's great to have it despite the poor quality of the recording.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:13 am

speedoo wrote:Hard to tell really. there were loads of great recordings in the late 60s ...

Not one of the August 1969 recordings holds a candle to the 1961 Honolulu concert. And those tapes are incredibly great!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Not one of the August 1969 recordings holds a candle to the 1961 Honolulu concert.

???!!! :!: :? :|

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:28 am

Scott! They actually don't! Elvis early sixties held links to the previous decade intact! The miles in between are there to be heard! The only link in between was the '68 special. I know how much people admire Elvis' '69 return, but there's an ocean apart and an Elvis wanting to be moving on! I'm not taking anything away from any of them! They are simplly different arenas! But, a prof recording of those early sixties shows would really have based it!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:36 am

bajo wrote:Scott! They actually don't! Elvis early sixties held links to the previous decade intact!

Agreed. But the excitement and historical context of August '69 far outweighs anything from Pearl Harbour.

In my opinion.

Hawaii in '61 should have been a portent to what could have come in the sixties. It should have been the first of many great concerts then. But the lure of Hollywood ... sigh.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:44 am

Good luck with that one!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:13 am

In a similiar way that the Sullivan shows were restored, I hope that this show could be restored by taking the existing audio information and interpolating http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpolation where the sound drops or is simply not there for a moment to produce an even sounding recording. This is sort of what a DAC does on a CD player ie makes up a sound based on information between the bits of information. I wonder if anyone is developing software to make this possible?

In any event, a fantastic concert which captures Elvis at one of the many peaks of his performing career.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 am

'Heartbreak Hotel', 'All Shook Up', 'A Fool Such As I', 'I Got A Woman', 'Love Me', 'Such A Night', 'Reconsider Baby', 'I Need Your Love Tonight', 'That's Alright', 'Don't Be Cruel', 'One Night', 'Are You Lonesome Tonight', 'It's Now Or Never', 'Swing Down Sweet Charlot', 'Hound Dog'

The only documentated time Presley performed two of his 1950's numbers in concert! The same can be said about 'Swing Down Sweet Charlot'!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:49 pm

Im in agreement about this fantastic concert!!

Makes you think that its such a great shame the US Tour of '62 didnt happen.

Highlights or a single concert of that could have been filmed professionally and put around the world cinemas and would have been one of the most historical moments of any artist captured on film, plus a No.1 'live' album for sure.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 am

Hawaii 61 is sure a great show - but Vegas 69 knocks spots off of it in my opinion!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:11 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Hawaii 61 is sure a great show - but Vegas 69 knocks spots off of it in my opinion!

Both are amazing and reminders of how truly brilliant Elvis was as a performer. It is nice to see a discussion about some of the finest Rock N Roll ever performed versus trying to defend concerts like the travesty found on FTD's America.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Hawaii 61 is sure a great show - but Vegas 69 knocks spots off of it in my opinion!

The difference is simple: 1969 is perhaps the best of the later live Elvis, while 1961 is perhaps the best of Elvis in concert, ever. The only thing that rivals March 25, 1961 is June 27, 1968. THAT is one choice I hope never to make.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:21 am

The brilliant thing about the Hawaii concert is that his voice is still able to sing the 50s hits in the same way as originally recorded, but also has the added maturity that allowed him to tackle songs like It's Now or Never so convincingly. It's the best of both worlds. If this had been properly recorded, I don't think many would question its place as the best Elvis show in the catalogue.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:01 am

TJ wrote:The brilliant thing about the Hawaii concert is that his voice is still able to sing the 50s hits in the same way as originally recorded, but also has the added maturity that allowed him to tackle songs like It's Now or Never so convincingly. It's the best of both worlds. If this had been properly recorded, I don't think many would question its place as the best Elvis show in the catalogue.

BINGO!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 am

From a source who knows ( no, not Ernie J ) ,
From day one , Joan Deary mastered the concert
from a copy of the bootleg cassette... There was
a better reel to reel tape available at the time.
She never asked for the reel to be delivered for
mastering... Why not ? I dont know. My source is
reliable. The original reel to reel is still somewhere
around. Who's got it? Again, I dont know.
Pretty frustrating stuff.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:56 am

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:From a source who knows ( no, not Ernie J ) ,
From day one , Joan Deary mastered the concert
from a copy of the bootleg cassette... There was
a better reel to reel tape available at the time
She never asked for the reel to be delivered for
mastering... Why not ? I dont know. My source is
reliable. The original reel to reel is still somewhere
around. Who's got it? Again, I dont know.
Pretty frustrating stuff.

That is amazing news. All sorts of bad things can happen to a cassette which gives some hope that the original recording might be near perfect!!!

I assume that the powers that be are aware of this news. Can you elaborate in any way? By the way, hows it going Ger?

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:14 am

BTW what CD has this show in the best quality. All I have so far is a cassette my friend made me about 9 years ago.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am

In fact its old news... it had been rumoured for
over 20 years at least! But information such as
this, goes lost. Fecc is probably the only Elvis
site where fans seriously discuss his musical
heritage...It was a couple of weeks ago, on the
phone, while discussing the Pied Piper film
footage with this mister X , the discussion turned
around into Hawaii 61. Thats when X mentioned
the bootleg cassette and the untouched reel to
reel story again. He said he's 100% sure about
the information, and the reel is ' somewhere'
around, in safe hands. I like to add another
piece of the Hawaii puzzle: some 10 years ago,
the German guys of DEA boot fame told me
they had a reel to reel copy of the concert, and
asked me if I could help out with photos for a
cd project? I believe what they told me back then.
These guys knew some inside bigshots, and
besides diggin up the many 70s tapes released
by them, also found the private Army recordings
in their backyard. Stuff RCA didnt have....
I cant remember if the German Connection told
me about the Hawaii tape before or after they
got busted by the politzei ?
Isnt there a tape box from the Hawaii concert
posted on this site, long ago? With compliments
from Jurgen K, one of the DEA boys?
The sound quality** is much better than what we've
had so far, and a little longer in running time
as well. Though still has the distortion in places.
I lost contact with the Germans, years ago, they
went into doing other things, and I got ill...
Im sure Ernie J is aware of the "lost' reel to reel.
But in all honesty, its one subject we havent
discussed for years.
And how am I doing? My motor works half speed,
but Im coping with it. More or less... Thanks.

( **) Ive not heard the original reel to reel, Im
writing what they told me at the time.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48 am

No doubt for me:

BEST ROCK´N´ROLL SHOWS
1- June, 27th 1968
2- ´61 Hawaiian benefit
3- Tupelo´56
4- August, 24th 1969
5- August, 12th 1970