Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ekravik
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

... my everything?

Post by ekravik »

Are "There goes my everything" and "He is my everything" the same songs??

I don't get this... they sound exactly the same... :roll:

ColinB
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: ... my everything?

Post by ColinB »

ekravik wrote:Are "There goes my everything" and "He is my everything" the same songs??

The writer simply re-wrote the lyrics to his own song There Goes My Everything to create a 'new' song with a religious theme.

Why Elvis was minded to record it again, I don't know............................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

ScottP
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by ScottP »

ColinB wrote:
ekravik wrote:Are "There goes my everything" and "He is my everything" the same songs??

The writer simply re-wrote the lyrics to his own song There Goes My Everything to create a 'new' song with a religious theme.

Why Elvis was minded to record it again, I don't know............................
I can see another compilation in the works here....Elvis sings Elvis - The King questionably covers his own songs:

He Is My Everything
Blue Suede Shoes (GI Blues version)
You Don't Know Me
Love Letters
etc.

"He is My Everything" is not the first time Elvis revisited a song he had released previously....however in the case of Blue Suede Shoes and You Don't Know Me, I think the newer versions are superior.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

NO way is the GI blues version of "Blue suede shoes" better than the original.
The original is one of Elvis' timeless recordings that was to never improve on since the original recordings.
In fact, the GI blues one is not even close. It is a typical hollywood soft approach to rock n roll.
If you notice that anytime the movie songs were supposed to rock, they barely do.

Nora Sivle
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Nora Sivle »

ekenee wrote:NO way is the GI blues version of "Blue suede shoes" better than the original.
The original is one of Elvis' timeless recordings that was to never improve on since the original recordings.
In fact, the GI blues one is not even close. It is a typical hollywood soft approach to rock n roll.
If you notice that anytime the movie songs were supposed to rock, they barely do.
You've said it first... :smt023 :smt002

FACT is not everything.....It is only what we can prove......REALITY is everything else.

ScottP

Post by ScottP »

ekenee wrote:NO way is the GI blues version of "Blue suede shoes" better than the original.

I like the beginning of the GI Blues "Blue Suede Shoes" better. It is more like Carl Perkins original. I find Elvis's 50's version to be too speedy. I recognize it is a classic recording loved by millions, and I like it too, but my ears prefer the laid back GI Blues version. This is not an age thing as I am only 28, and also indulge in some loud 90's alternative rock listening among other things.

But that is why I think it was good it was re-recorded, even if is a "soft approach". It turned out to be an interesting contrast and now we have this option for individual preferences.

If it is any consolation, I prefer some of Elvis's live versions in the 50's to the GI Blues take, as difficult as they are to hear behind the screaming fans :mrgreen: .

Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

I like the laid-back, acoustic approach to one-take-wonder "Blue Suede Shoes" on the GI Blues soundtrack, too, but the 1956 original would win in the honors, no doubt (love the '68 versions, too, and the different approach of the 1956 live iterations...also did well in 1969 as an opener).

As for the Dallas Frazier songs (is that the dude's name?), I've always liked "There Goes My Everything" (even more so when I heard his live versions) but "He Goes My Everything," aside from anything else, is noticeably lacking in conviction and atmosphere compared with the secular original. Perhaps this was symptomatic of the differences between the June, 1970 sessions and those of May the following year.

Still, how about THIS as a concept album?:

ELVIS SINGS EVERYTHING
1. There Goes My Everything
2. He Is My Everything
3. She Is My Everything
4. They Are My Everything
5. Y'all Are My Everything
6. Goldman Don't Know Anything
7. I Have Had Many Flings
8. My Truck Is A Chevy Thing
9. I Wear Some Heavy Bling
10. Medley: Lamar Ate Up Everything/Lamar Is A Heavy Thing

ScottP

Post by ScottP »

Inigo Montoya wrote:I like the laid-back, acoustic approach to one-take-wonder "Blue Suede Shoes" on the GI Blues soundtrack, too, but the 1956 original would win in the honors, no doubt (love the '68 versions, too, and the different approach of the 1956 live iterations...also did well in 1969 as an opener).

As for the Dallas Frazier songs (is that the dude's name?), I've always liked "There Goes My Everything" (even more so when I heard his live versions) but "He Goes My Everything," aside from anything else, is noticeably lacking in conviction and atmosphere compared with the secular original. Perhaps this was symptomatic of the differences between the June, 1970 sessions and those of May the following year.

Still, how about THIS as a concept album?:

ELVIS SINGS EVERYTHING
2. He Is My Everything
3. She Is My Everything
10. Medley: Lamar Ate Up Everything/Lamar Is A Heavy Thing
LMAO, I'd buy that album for sure. Also, "I Wear Some Heavy Bling" should be remixed as it would probably do quite well on today's Rap/R&B charts in a duet with Nelly or maybe 50 Cent!

I do see the point on the 50's take of Blue Suede Shoes being the winner. Maybe I have just heard it too much over the years. I am still going to play the GI Blues take more! However, I also prefer Elvis's laid back approach to Paralyzed on Million Dollar Quartet over the studio version, despite the better recording of the latter.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

ekenee wrote:If you notice that anytime the movie songs were supposed to rock, they barely do.
Well, I agree with you for most of the post-army stuff !

But there were some fine rockers in those first 4 films........................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

ColinB wrote:
ekenee wrote:If you notice that anytime the movie songs were supposed to rock, they barely do.
Well, I agree with you for most of the post-army stuff !

But there were some fine rockers in those first 4 films........................
Right, that is what I meant, the so-called movie years, the 60's.

I wasn't at all thinking of the 50's, but more of the formula type musicals he did later.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

ColinB wrote:

Colin is correct. And I've often wondered why Elvis recorded it again, myself??

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Damn! I thought this was going to be a thread on Barry White and Elvis!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

scottngeorgia

Post by scottngeorgia »

ELVIS SINGS EVERYTHING
2. He Is My Everything
3. She Is My Everything
10. Medley: Lamar Ate Up Everything/Lamar Is A Heavy Thing[/quote]
You could have added Elvis retake in it aint no big thing but it's growing
A little know Version recorded in late 74 but retitled "My waist aint a big thing (PAUNCH MY ASS, BUT ITS GROWING )"

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.