Elvis The Complete Works - 30 CD Box Set From Sony BMG

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

poormadpeter

Re: Elvis The Complete Works - 30 CD Box Set From Sony BMG

Post by poormadpeter »

Tony Trout wrote:
steve in SC wrote:So, this is supposed to come out next year?

That's what I'm wondering....is this coming out very soon (before the end of 2008) or sometime next year? Unless I missed it, I haven't seen a release date mentioned anywhere.

I still think it's way overpriced. :evil: :evil: :( :roll:

$1,000.00 is way too damn much $$$.....the $300.00-$400.00 range for a set like this is more feasible, IMO. Alot of the older fans (and people like myself who are disabled and live on a fixed income) who would want this set aren't going to be able to get it because it's so expensive
The $1000 figure is one that someone came up with on here. Nothing official has mentioned any figures as yet!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

JerryNodak wrote:
Matthew wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:"Better" is subjective. Your ears may rate something an 8. Mine may hear it as a 7 or 9. So it'll be better than E1 which many on this board hold up as the
gold standard? But which personally I didn't care for. Honestly, I'm satisfied with the sound I've already got. Bring on more of those classic albums, Ernst.
E1 is anything but a gold standard.
There were plenty of people on this board who raved about it at the time.
The intension was sound, but the execution from a sonic perspective was quite the opposite. Remixes and highly compressed/clipped audio - some with sound artifacts that shouldn't be there. "Suspicious Minds" didn't need to be remixed. The gold standard as far as I am concerned are releases in the vein of "Elvis at Sun".

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'm not in disagreement with you, Matthew. I just remember being flamed by several on this board at the time for stating my displeasure with E1 for sonic reasons. Those who liked the finished product (and they were entitled to their opinion) thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Matthew wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:
Matthew wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:"Better" is subjective. Your ears may rate something an 8. Mine may hear it as a 7 or 9. So it'll be better than E1 which many on this board hold up as the
gold standard? But which personally I didn't care for. Honestly, I'm satisfied with the sound I've already got. Bring on more of those classic albums, Ernst.
E1 is anything but a gold standard.
There were plenty of people on this board who raved about it at the time.
The intension was sound, but the execution from a sonic perspective was quite the opposite. Remixes and highly compressed/clipped audio - some with sound artifacts that shouldn't be there. "Suspicious Minds" didn't need to be remixed. The gold standard as far as I am concerned are releases in the vein of "Elvis at Sun".
I remember David Bendeth and Ray Bardini saying in an exclusive interview that none of the tracks on E1 was "remixed".

They had just enhanced what was aleady there.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

minkahed wrote:
I remember David Bendeth and Ray Bardini saying in an exclusive interview that none of the tracks on E1 was "remixed".

They had just enhanced what was aleady there.
This has to be an error because there are many comments to the contrary including the lengths they went to remixing Suspicious Minds (mixing the 8-track with the original stereo mix) and bringing up the drums in Burning Love.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

JerryNodak wrote:I'm not in disagreement with you, Matthew. I just remember being flamed by several on this board at the time for stating my displeasure with E1 for sonic reasons. Those who liked the finished product (and they were entitled to their opinion) thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Indeed - if these people like their product squashed and unnatural sounding that is entirely up to them, but E1 should never be used as an audio yardstick that other releases should be measured against.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

all the stereo tracks were remixed. What they meant is that they wrren't remixed like "a little less conversation". To remix is to alter the levels and presence of the original instrumentation (such as placing the drums on the center, or mixing out vocal voices, or lowering the volume of the strings, etc). But nowadays "remix" also means to add new instrumentation to an old recording (such as "verve" remixed series)

Iván

La voz del Rey

theo_hoog
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by theo_hoog »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It would be good to have every single studio master, plus the live masters. The live masters shouldn't be in a disc of their own, they should be where they fit chronologically among the studio masters.

By live master, I would assume it means a live version of a song that was never cut in the studio such as My Babe, Polk Salad Annie, Something (again), Never Been to Spain, Let Me Be There, If You Love Me etc etc.
I think not only the songs that were never cut in the studio will be on the box set, but all the tracks from the live LP's (NBC TV Special, In Person, On Stage, Madison Square Garden, Aloha, Memphis and EIC) and also the live tracks from TTWII, Fool, Welcome To My World etc. and the live singles.
In A Life In Music all live tracks released during Elvis' life time were given a serial number. These were the master versions and all other live recordings of a particular song were considered outtakes. I read somewhere that Ernst mentioned there are over 1000 Elvis masters (including the live tracks).

If done right, this box set should be awesome! I definitely welcome its release. I do have some reservations/questions, though:
- Will they also include the mono versions of songs released in stereo, but also released as a single or on a mono album? That would really make it complete.
- Will they stay true to the original mix? They didn't on the 70's box set, as some songs sounded really different (The First Time comes to mind).
- Will all the tracks have the exact same playing time and speed as they were released back in the day? The overdubbed & slowed down version of Tomorrow Night has never been released at its 'correct' speed on an official cd.
- Will the spliced tracks have the same splices as the originals? They "messed up" on the updated G.I. Blues album, which has two tracks with alternate splices.
- If this box set is released in a limited quantity in the US, will I be able to buy a copy?

I'm afraid the box set will contain some songs with extended outro's, different mixes, alternate edits or alternate overdubs or no overdubs by mistake. Maybe they'll even put in an alternate take instead of the master by mistake. Lot's of interesting Elvis tracks got released by mistakes. :)

Think about it: over 1000 Elvis masters. That's a whole lot of songs you can mess up on. And I'm afraid that's what just might happen.

Well, I'll just wait and see.
Theo
Last edited by theo_hoog on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I didn't make it on playing guitar!

frus75

Post by frus75 »

BTW, any news on the set?

Iván

La voz del Rey

theo_hoog

Post by theo_hoog »

shawboy wrote:BTW, the other two items on my 'Elvis wish list' are,,,,
all 31 films in original aspect ratios on Blu-Ray in a box set.

all the footage shot by CBS during the last tour in a deluxe box set.
That would be nice :D
Along with an Elvis on Tour dvd box set and accompanying cd set and an upgraded TTWII dvd box set (with better sound on the orginal film and with at least another concert disc and a rehearsal disc).

frus75

Post by frus75 »

If In Person features an unreleased show, in all probability it would be remixed by the sony team that did the 2nd cd of Viva las Vegas. Maybe the reason of the delay of the In Person FTD is that this team is working in the 30 cd box....

Iván

La voz del Rey

jtong43
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by jtong43 »

I made my own!
I burned all the Elvis studio cuts in order with 20 per CD. Took 30 CDs!
A lot cheaper than buying the coming set.

thenexte
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by thenexte »

frus75 wrote:If In Person features an unreleased show, in all probability it would be remixed by the sony team that did the 2nd cd of Viva las Vegas. Maybe the reason of the delay of the In Person FTD is that this team is working in the 30 cd box....
I personally can't imagine the label is still moving forward with this project given the current economic outlook. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

frus75

Post by frus75 »

thenexte wrote:
frus75 wrote:If In Person features an unreleased show, in all probability it would be remixed by the sony team that did the 2nd cd of Viva las Vegas. Maybe the reason of the delay of the In Person FTD is that this team is working in the 30 cd box....
I personally can't imagine the label is still moving forward with this project given the current economic outlook. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
we can always dream about all those masters, most of them remastered by anesini like the recent gospel cds and some of them remixed and remastered by the vegas 2nd cd team....

Iván

La voz del Rey

svallen
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by svallen »

SONY that now own Elvis recordings may not care about money.
They have done many expensive faults with PC games,and they don`t seem to learn about the mistakes.
So they may do an expensive one with music.It is not an fault to release Elvis music but the way it is wrapped.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Don't kid yourself. Big Corporations like Sony always care about money. Money is their lifeblood. Money allows them to fund other projects. Even projects that fail. They write-off the cost and move on. Hell, they've got a certain amount written into their budget for write-offs/bad debt every year.

If this project moves forward (and I have my doubts) you can bet they will have done their market research. They will know exactly how many sets they will print (I've read 10,000) and of those they will know how many they actually expect to sell and at what price to do no worse than break even.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Big Corporations also like lawsuits!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

theo_hoog

Post by theo_hoog »

jtong43 wrote:I made my own!
I burned all the Elvis studio cuts in order with 20 per CD. Took 30 CDs!
A lot cheaper than buying the coming set.
When I do a quick count from my Elvis song database I come to a total 615 the studio cuts that were released during Elvis life time (including 17 rerecordings, tracks recorded for TV specials and alternate versions released by mistake or on purpose). I'm interested in your tracklist, jtong43.

I read the box set will include all masters, so that would include all the live masters released on album and single (about 130 tracks, including EIC).

And to have all of those in one box set, in the best audio quality possible... That really is a dream come true. :D

Might be quite an expensive dream though ;-)

Theo

James27

Post by James27 »

I'd buy it. It might take me some time, or even selling a few other items, but the improved sound quality and packaging will win me over, knowing me like I do. :D

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

An intriguing set, to be sure. The price tag will be prohibitive, but I can't imagine not owning something like this. There are many variables to examine before pulling the trigger, but at first blush I say, "bring it on!"

Time will tell whether it is an "essential" purchase or not.

moody_blue76
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by moody_blue76 »

I'll buy it for sure, it'll be nice to have everything in one place. Then I could narrow down my collection.
All you'd need is The Complete Works and The Classic Album Series for the outtakes. Soundboards from the FTD 7'' series, plus whatever imports are still essential, which to me at least is looking much slimmer these days(A handful of audience recordings and soundboards).

Count me in you got my money.

Andy-M

Post by Andy-M »

I would also buy this definitive 30 CD BOX Set Sony BMG with ALL Masters + best Outtakes in great Sound Quality. :smt023
Count me in :mrgreen:

Vince
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Vince »

Hi,

i'm pretty sure that BMG will propose the set for a nice price, like the "Mozart complete" and such collections...

See You

Vince