Elvis The Complete Works - 30 CD Box Set From Sony BMG

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis The Complete Works - 30 CD Box Set From Sony BMG

Post by KiwiAlan »

MysteryTrain wrote:Here's an idea how this set could be marketed at approximately $1,000.00.

Do like the UK did with the singles box sets. Sell the box, book and one CD for $99.00; then sell 1 additional CD for 29 months at $30.00 per CD. In the end, the customer would have paid $969.00.

Just a thought.

Mystery Train
The problem here is that by the time (two years) that the last few discs were issued there would be another technology far superior to disc one - so you would have to start all over again and again and again and again :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Shawn1968
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Shawn1968 »

Just a guess, but don't you think that if they went to the bother to remaster all the tracks with DSD technology, that - once this set sells out - that they'd use those new remastered tracks for all CDs going forward?

I mean, to assume they've spent all this time and money on this project and will use these remasters exclusively for this release only doesn't make much business sense to me.

In other words, IMO these remastered tracks will all eventually appear on the standard releases at a much-reduced cost.

RonBaker2003
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Elvis Australia says it's going to sell for $1000 USD (at least). That's $33 per cd (maybe--I'm not so good at math).

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

What new technology?

That's the question we should be asking.

I have seen no reference on the internet since the advent of DSD or SACD that new CD mastering technolgy has surfaced.

If such a beast existed wouldn't you think that SonyBMG would be using it and singing it's virtues on their standard issues.

I firmly believe that this set will just be DSD.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

RonBaker2003

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Just used a calculator...it's $20 per cd, which is about the going rate these days. Still way more than I can afford though.

Shawn1968

Post by Shawn1968 »

I think just the opposite - they'd be foolish not to offer these to the general public outside of the box set. The 30 CD set is overkill for many, why deprive everyone of the "better" sound w/o having to pay $33 per CD?

In practical purposes, I could see them selling the tracks individually online as lossless downloads as opposed to, say, re-releasing a physical CD of KISSIN' COUSINS.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

RonBaker2003 wrote:Just used a calculator...it's $20 per cd, which is about the going rate these days. Still way more than I can afford though.
Punch those buttons again - $1000 divided by 30 = $33.33 :D

RonBaker2003

Post by RonBaker2003 »

I was right the first time! Wow. I think I divided by 50 (because of the original 50 CD issue)...somehow that got stuck in my mind for some reason. $33 is highway robbery.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

KiwiAlan wrote:What new technology?

That's the question we should be asking.

I have seen no reference on the internet since the advent of DSD or SACD that new CD mastering technolgy has surfaced.

If such a beast existed wouldn't you think that SonyBMG would be using it and singing it's virtues on their standard issues.

I firmly believe that this set will just be DSD.
I personally don't care whether it's DSD or some other "new digital technology" as long as they're using a technology that gives the Elvis albums the best sound! As I already pointed out I'm quite happy with the sound they've achieved on some of the more recent releases (such as the three 2008 gospel reissues or the 2007 "Viva Las Vegas" 2 CD set). The funny thing is a lot of tracks from these gospel albums previously appeared on DSD compilations (e.g. "The Ultimate Gospel" in 2004) but for some reason these tracks sound a lot better on the 2008 reissues. The ISRCs on these 2008 reissues also seem to indicate that these tracks were all newly remastered in 2007 so it's quite obvious to me that they chose not to recycle the previous DSD masters in this case. So maybe SonyBMG does has some new tricks up their sleeves to breathe some new life into these old Elvis recordings and maybe that's the "new digital technology" Ernst is referring to. I mean DSD at this point is already ten years old, I'm sure Ernst wouldn't refer to DSD as "new digital technology" in 2008.
Last edited by thenexte on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

So, this is supposed to come out next year?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

thenexte wrote:I personally don't care whether it's DSD or some other "new digital technology" as long as they're using a technology that gives the Elvis albums the best sound!
That would be various pieces of original studio and period specific vintage analog gear where the only point digital comes into play is to capture the end result. Again - the important factor is the person doing the work, not some new star spangled piece of digital equipment.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

After reading all the posts in this thread one word stuck in my mind...... Procrastination. Sooner or later someone is going to get this set, post pics of it and then enthuse about how good it is. Then when you see the the pics, you'll think ''how good will that look beside the 50 CD Boxset....so you'll go to order it and they'll say Sorry ....Sold Out! So...quit whining, start saving and enjoy :D

Not so long ago, a Poster asked the question ''What will be BMG's next Boxset Release?''. Well it looks like this is it!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

steve in SC wrote:So, this is supposed to come out next year?

That's what I'm wondering....is this coming out very soon (before the end of 2008) or sometime next year? Unless I missed it, I haven't seen a release date mentioned anywhere.

I still think it's way overpriced. :evil: :evil: :( :roll:

$1,000.00 is way too damn much $$$.....the $300.00-$400.00 range for a set like this is more feasible, IMO. Alot of the older fans (and people like myself who are disabled and live on a fixed income) who would want this set aren't going to be able to get it because it's so expensive

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Maybe there's more about the release date in the Magazine Interview. I'll be suprised if it isn't aimed at the Christmas market though.

I'm really looking forward to any pics of this, I want to see if it's as cool as the 50 set.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Monique »

Little Darlin wrote:Maybe there's more about the release date in the Magazine Interview. I'll be suprised if it isn't aimed at the Christmas market though.

I'm really looking forward to any pics of this, I want to see if it's as cool as the 50 set.
Hmmm... I don't know if the tree will be big enough to place such a large present underneath (oooh..I love that word...from Merry merry christmas baby *sigh*) it... In fact...I doubt it that when I buy myself this gift, I'll have any money left for a (decent) x-mas tree. :roll: :wink:

Always Elvis on my mind

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

thenexte is (as always) completely right. The new gospel re releases sound incredibly good. I just love How Great Thou Art, that one puts previous releases (japan 24 bit included) to shame.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

frus75 wrote:thenexte is (as always) completely right. The new gospel re releases sound incredibly good. I just love How Great Thou Art, that one puts previous releases (japan 24 bit included) to shame.
To shame? Doubtful. The Japanese editions are held in very high regard.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

May I say that the 24 bit japanese paper sleeve cds are (for the most) mastered toooooo loud, tooooo bright, toooo artificial. No subtleness, no warm. On a cheap equipment (for example a 4 speaker car system) those "tools" fool you and you believe that they sound great, as they kind of compensate for the system's shortcomings Just as Colonel wanted top compression so elvis would sound great on the average Joe cheap one-speaker radio receiver, but awful on a hi-fi system.

On a normal equipment, the same car but let's say 10 speakers and a subwoofer, the 24 bit japanese cds start to hurt your ears. the natural bass of the new HGTA is all warm, as is the sound on the Jean Marc Raised On Rock (FTD) work. That bass enters you. You not only hear it but feel it too.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

frus75 wrote:May I say that the 24 bit japanese paper sleeve cds are (for the most) mastered toooooo loud, tooooo bright, toooo artificial. No subtleness, no warm. On a cheap equipment (for example a 4 speaker car system) those "tools" fool you and you believe that they sound great, as they kind of compensate for the system's shortcomings Just as Colonel wanted top compression so elvis would sound great on the average Joe cheap one-speaker radio receiver, but awful on a hi-fi system.

On a normal equipment, the same car but let's say 10 speakers and a subwoofer, the 24 bit japanese cds start to hurt your ears. the natural bass of the new HGTA is all warm, as is the sound on the Jean Marc Raised On Rock (FTD) work. That bass enters you. You not only hear it but feel it too.
Many of the 24 bit paper sleeve editions sound just fine - your comments are more in tune with the 20 bit CDs released around the same time in regular jewel cases.

shawboy

Post by shawboy »

This has been high on my 'Elvis wish list' for years and I'm really excited about it.

It would be great if it's in the SACD hybrid format and if it's in 5.1 surround, but even if it isn't, it's still good news.

I really don't care if they inlude the live stuff, except for the singles that were never recorded in the studio,,"American Trilogy," "Unchained Melody," etc. I do hope they include a few gems such as the stripped down versions of "Suspicious Minds," "Kentucky Rain," etc. from the 60's box set. IMO, they sound better than the versions that came out on 45s.

I doubt that they will since this is a limited release, but I hope this item is carried by BMG Music Club. They have incredible deals on their box sets. In 1996, the decade sets ran for around 80 bucks apiece and I got them from BMG for 26 dollars each.

BTW, the other two items on my 'Elvis wish list' are,,,,
all 31 films in original aspect ratios on Blu-Ray in a box set.

all the footage shot by CBS during the last tour in a deluxe box set.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

shawboy wrote:This has been high on my 'Elvis wish list' for years and I'm really excited about it.

It would be great if it's in the SACD hybrid format and if it's in 5.1 surround, but even if it isn't, it's still good news.

I really don't care if they inlude the live stuff, except for the singles that were never recorded in the studio,,"American Trilogy," "Unchained Melody," etc. I do hope they include a few gems such as the stripped down versions of "Suspicious Minds," "Kentucky Rain," etc. from the 60's box set. IMO, they sound better than the versions that came out on 45s.

I doubt that they will since this is a limited release, but I hope this item is carried by BMG Music Club. They have incredible deals on their box sets. In 1996, the decade sets ran for around 80 bucks apiece and I got them from BMG for 26 dollars each.

BTW, the other two items on my 'Elvis wish list' are,,,,
all 31 films in original aspect ratios on Blu-Ray in a box set.

all the footage shot by CBS during the last tour in a deluxe box set.
Now you're talking the dream. Just imagine if Ernst could make it part of this 30cd box set as a bonus DVD?!

shawboy

Post by shawboy »

Midnightx said,,,"Now you're talking the dream. Just imagine if Ernst could make it part of this 30cd box set as a bonus DVD?!"

Amen, brother! You wouldn't happen to have old Ernst's phone number, would you?<G>

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Matthew wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:"Better" is subjective. Your ears may rate something an 8. Mine may hear it as a 7 or 9. So it'll be better than E1 which many on this board hold up as the
gold standard? But which personally I didn't care for. Honestly, I'm satisfied with the sound I've already got. Bring on more of those classic albums, Ernst.
E1 is anything but a gold standard.
There were plenty of people on this board who raved about it at the time.

a mess of polk salad
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Is there anyone who can offer up a probably 30 CDs that may appear on the set?–ON STAGE,AS RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS,AN AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN–just a few that may feature(I hope) on the new 30-CD BOX SET. 8) 8)

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

a mess of polk salad wrote:Is there anyone who can offer up a probably 30 CDs that may appear on the set?–ON STAGE,AS RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS,AN AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN–just a few that may feature(I hope) on the new 30-CD BOX SET. 8) 8)
Read this very s l o w l y from the first post on this topic
Ernst Jorgensen is working on a 30 CD Box Set that will contain all official masters as released during Elvis' life time
Now think about it!