Elvis The Complete Works - 30 CD Box Set From Sony BMG

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Guitar_Slinger_6120
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Re: Elvis The Complete Works - 30 CD Box Set From Sony BMG

Post by Guitar_Slinger_6120 »

I like the mastering on "The Essential Elvis Presley" better then E1.
I just love the way "Wonder Of You" sounds on the essential disc,
gret dynamics!
I hope Vic Anesini masters this box set!

JohnnyByeBye
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by JohnnyByeBye »

countrymusic wrote:
But the great Nat King Cole (one of the greatest ever for me along Elvis and SInatra) has only cds!!!! not sacds and they are from 50's (mono and stereo) to mid 60s. The sound is completely open, crisp and clear, more than our beloved Ftd. Why?
Because they are two different recordings?

To make somewhat accurate comparisons, the things that you compare have to be from the same source.

javilu
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by javilu »

ColinB wrote:
javilu wrote:
ColinB wrote:Argentina isn't 'third world'..............................
Come down here my dear Colin and I'll show around "Fuerte Apache" and "La Cava" :lol: :lol:
Every country has its run-down areas, doesn't make them part of the 'third world' does it ?
Alright, ok, you win. So in which world would I be?

Spellbinder wrote: Just one example proving my point.
And your point is...?
That you're a little deaf and extremely cheap? :lol: :lol:

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Scarre »

Matthew wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:Especially when it is also a total restoration of every Elvis master with new digital technology.
This line has been touted around since at least the early 90s with the "Complete 50s Masters" box-set. Time has proven that these "restorations" with "new digital technology" are not always what they are cracked up to be - it is the person manning the controls that makes the difference. This will be key to this new set.

This is so very true.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

JerryNodak wrote:"Better" is subjective. Your ears may rate something an 8. Mine may hear it as a 7 or 9. So it'll be better than E1 which many on this board hold up as the
gold standard? But which personally I didn't care for. Honestly, I'm satisfied with the sound I've already got. Bring on more of those classic albums, Ernst.
I agree. The E1 was endeed a disapointment. People who think that it sold 10 million copies because of the mastering, are totally wrong. It sold 10 million copies because it was Elvis. It would have sold just as many no matter who mastered it...

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

countrymusic wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
countrymusic wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:As far as I'm aware, no-one yet has actually a clear idea of the price. Of the two giant boxes I already know of - the Sinatra Capitol and Reprise sets. At 21 and 20 discs respectively, one retails for £100 today and other was £300 thirteen years ago. The Elvis one could go either way.

Unlike the Sinatra Reprise set, however, a chronological use of tracks is more effective with Elvis than an album by album release. Elvis' work gels more session by session, whereas Sinatra's didn't - concept albums were out of order and so on, making it a mess in places and leading me to sell the copy I saved long and hard for!

I think the Elvis set is a cool idea. No-one is made to buy it. No-one is going to miss out on unreleased stuff if they don't buy it. And yet, anyone who just wants the masters and the best of the out-takes, this will be one handy package. This "complete works" scenario is working out quite well in the classical world (somebody bought me a Sony complete Beethoven set for Christmas last year). Perhaps a complete blow by blow edition of the complete Elvis masters in order of recording is a step in the right direction for anyone wanting to make sense of the Elvis story.
One thing: Sinatra Reprise box is chronological, Capitol box not.
That's why I said the "sinatra Reprise set" in the 2nd paragraph!
Excuse me, you're right!!! :wink:
You are forgiven! ;)

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Monique »

I'm mostly a little suspicious about the anouncement that it'll contain ALL official masters (etc). The Hawaii DVD box and 68 Comeback special box were also supposed to contain all there is to have about those projects...but they didn't. Let's say I won't be suprised if some songs don't make it to the ultimate 30 cd box set. :roll:

Always Elvis on my mind

RonBaker2003
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Does it mean soundtrack masters too? It hasn't been mentioned, but all soundtrack recordings were omitted from the 60s box set.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

RonBaker2003 wrote:Does it mean soundtrack masters too? It hasn't been mentioned, but all soundtrack recordings were omitted from the 60s box set.
It must do, as:

50s studio masters: 4 discs
60s non-soundtrack, non-gospel studio masters: 5 discs
70s studio masters: 6 discs
60s gospel albums: 1 disc

that only comes to 16 discs. from what i remember, it takes 8 discs to get all the 60s movie masters on to. that makes it 24. perhaps 2 lor 3 live discs, and the same for alternates etc would make it up to 30.

stupot
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by stupot »

Maybe all the albums will be SHM-CD like the five new re-releases featured on the Elvis World Japan site.

Info: The high quality SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing, SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players

stupot
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by stupot »

Scarre wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:"Better" is subjective. Your ears may rate something an 8. Mine may hear it as a 7 or 9. So it'll be better than E1 which many on this board hold up as the
gold standard? But which personally I didn't care for. Honestly, I'm satisfied with the sound I've already got. Bring on more of those classic albums, Ernst.
I agree. The E1 was endeed a disapointment. People who think that it sold 10 million copies because of the mastering, are totally wrong. It sold 10 million copies because it was Elvis. It would have sold just as many no matter who mastered it...
Well Scarre the re-mastered sound was mostly what encouraged BMG to go with a big-budget, global advertising campaign. It was also what encouraged music critics to endorse and plug the album.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

stupot wrote:
Scarre wrote:
Well Scarre the re-mastered sound was mostly what encouraged BMG to go with a big-budget, global advertising campaign. It was also what encouraged music critics to endorse and plug the album.
Exactly: marketing. The sound was hyped but alas, was not what it could.. and should have been. Another case of abused digital tools.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

countrymusic wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Mike DK wrote:How can the sound on the songs mastered by Kevan Budd and Sebastion J. sound any better than they already do ?
I imagine it will be their versions we will get, on the songs that they have remastered.....................
Of course NOT. Jorgensen talks about NEW digital technology and it's possible do it better (from 8 or 8.5 of 10 to 9/9.5 of 10). How? I don´t know but I know they will do it.
Well, Kevan & Sebastian have used NEW digital technology, haven't they ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Here's an idea how this set could be marketed at approximately $1,000.00.

Do like the UK did with the singles box sets. Sell the box, book and one CD for $99.00; then sell 1 additional CD for 29 months at $30.00 per CD. In the end, the customer would have paid $969.00.

Just a thought.

Mystery Train

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Can we speculate what might be on this mighty new box set?

ELVIS IN PERSON - WITH MORE UNRELEASED SHOWS.
TTWII - WITH UNRELEASED SHOW.
AS RECORDED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDENS - AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN.
AS RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS.
PROMISLAND.
TODAY.
MOODY BLUE.
ELVIS COUNTRY.
LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS.
FOOL.

Just a few CDs that may be included plus there may be film soundtrack albums and hopefully many surprises, but if the set included two or more unreleased shows from Elvis's 1969 concerts; that's reason to purchase. 8)

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

a mess of polk salad wrote:Can we speculate what might be on this mighty new box set?

ELVIS IN PERSON - WITH MORE UNRELEASED SHOWS.
TTWII - WITH UNRELEASED SHOW.
AS RECORDED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDENS - AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN.
AS RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS.
PROMISLAND.
TODAY.
MOODY BLUE.
ELVIS COUNTRY.
LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS.
FOOL.

Just a few CDs that may be included plus there may be film soundtrack albums and hopefully many surprises, but if the set included two or more unreleased shows from Elvis's 1969 concerts; that's reason to purchase. 8)
current word, as stated by Ernst, is that it won't feature unreleased material

Iván

La voz del Rey

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike DK »

ColinB;

I think you are right. Kevan and Sebastian have used new technology (and DSD when possible), which is why I find it hard to believe that the songs (they have worked on) can be mastered any better.
Vic Anesini is great at mastering, but I much prefer Kevan and Sebastians work (as an example just compare Elvis 56 DSD with Kevans work).
Will be great when we know more about this 30 CD boxset and who is credited for the sound.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Mike DK wrote:I think you are right. Kevan and Sebastian have used new technology (and DSD when possible), which is why I find it hard to believe that the songs (they have worked on) can be mastered any better. Vic Anesini is great at mastering, but I much prefer Kevan and Sebastians work (as an example just compare Elvis 56 DSD with Kevans work). Will be great when we know more about this 30 CD boxset and who is credited for the sound.
With respect to sound I think we're at a point where Elvis releases have simply never sounded any better. I still marvel at the sound they've achieved on things like the "Viva Las Vegas" double disc set last year or the gospel reissues this year, for me personally this is exactly the sound that all Elvis albums should ultimately have. I don't know how they did it (Vic Anesini is credited) but there's just an analog quality to these releases that does the material so much more justice than any other methods they have employed in the past to create a digital master from the analog mastertapes.

I think the problem will be one of cost, if they really were to go back and redo all of the albums the same way they did those aforementioned releases it would really be an expensive proposition (but it could explain the somewhat steep retail price mentioned in some posts here). My gut feel is that if the box set really goes forward they will probably cut some corners and a lot of the albums will indeed *not* be newly mastered for the box but simply be sourced from past DSD releases or past FTD releases. If that's the case then we'll ultimately end up with a smorgasbord of different masterings.

I would actually prefer if they were to upgrade maybe 5-6 albums every year using the "new digital technology" they employed on the gospel reissues, put them out in retail and then after they've gone through the whole set maybe offer them in a box set. It seems pretty risky to me to offer them in a box set up front that only a select few people can actually afford. They are making it sound as if CDs are going away soon, I don't think that's the case at all, the majority of consumers still relies on them. I also think the core Elvis albums should be kept in circulation for the general public, new Elvis fans are born every year!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

thenexte wrote: I think the problem will be one of cost, if they really were to go back and redo all of the albums the same way they did those aforementioned releases it would really be an expensive proposition (but it could explain the somewhat steep retail price mentioned in some posts here). My gut feel is that if the box set really goes forward they will probably cut some corners and a lot of the albums will indeed *not* be newly mastered for the box but simply be sourced from past DSD releases or past FTD releases. If that's the case then we'll ultimately end up with a smorgasbord of different masterings.
That is a major concern. This set could be stellar if all the masters are treated the same way.
thenexte wrote:I would actually prefer if they were to upgrade maybe 5-6 albums every year using the "new digital technology" they employed on the gospel reissues, put them out in retail and then after they've gone through the whole set maybe offer them in a box set. It seems pretty risky to me to offer them in a box set up front that only a select few people can actually afford. They are making it sound as if CDs are going away soon, I don't think that's the case at all, the majority of consumers still relies on them. I also think the core Elvis albums should be kept in circulation for the general public, new Elvis fans are born every year!
True, but the issue is Sony/BMG has no intention of keeping the bulk of Elvis' albums and masters in print on the mainstream market. It would be nice to see more of Elvis' catalogue in print, but sadly, Sony/BMG treats the business of the Elvis Presley catalogue differently. So, at least all the masters may end up in one place -- or over time, in print as part of the classic album series.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

thenexte wrote:
Mike DK wrote:I think you are right. Kevan and Sebastian have used new technology (and DSD when possible), which is why I find it hard to believe that the songs (they have worked on) can be mastered any better. Vic Anesini is great at mastering, but I much prefer Kevan and Sebastians work (as an example just compare Elvis 56 DSD with Kevans work). Will be great when we know more about this 30 CD boxset and who is credited for the sound.
With respect to sound I think we're at a point where Elvis releases have simply never sounded any better. I still marvel at the sound they've achieved on things like the "Viva Las Vegas" double disc set last year or the gospel reissues this year, for me personally this is exactly the sound that all Elvis albums should ultimately have. I don't know how they did it (Vic Anesini is credited) but there's just an analog quality to these releases that does the material so much more justice than any other methods they have employed in the past to create a digital master from the analog mastertapes.

I think the problem will be one of cost, if they really were to go back and redo all of the albums the same way they did those aforementioned releases it would really be an expensive proposition (but it could explain the somewhat steep retail price mentioned in some posts here). My gut feel is that if the box set really goes forward they will probably cut some corners and a lot of the albums will indeed *not* be newly mastered for the box but simply be sourced from past DSD releases or past FTD releases. If that's the case then we'll ultimately end up with a smorgasbord of different masterings.

I would actually prefer if they were to upgrade maybe 5-6 albums every year using the "new digital technology" they employed on the gospel reissues, put them out in retail and then after they've gone through the whole set maybe offer them in a box set. It seems pretty risky to me to offer them in a box set up front that only a select few people can actually afford. They are making it sound as if CDs are going away soon, I don't think that's the case at all, the majority of consumers still relies on them. I also think the core Elvis albums should be kept in circulation for the general public, new Elvis fans are born every year!
It is still hit and miss with the sound, depending on who is doing the mastering. The outtakes on the last two 1970 albums on FTD leaved alot to be desired, with that echoey mess. Some of the live stuff is a little sketchy too.
But when they do get it right, they do sound like they could never be better.

I don't think CD's are going anywhere at the time. Sales may be down, but they just had a resurgence of interest in LP records, so I don't see the end of CD"s yet.

Burning Love
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Burning Love »

My breakdown for the 39 CDs are like this: First of all I think the CD's have to run in chronological order so that alll of the masters can fit on the 30 CD with the 3 or 4 hours of' iintersting alternates' and live material.

All of the 50s Masters would be on 4 CDs ala the Box Set

All the secular 60s Maters would be on 4 CDs ala the 60s Box set plus 10 CDs for the 60s soundtracks, which is how many it took for the Double soundtrack series. 1 CD for His Hand In Mine and How Great Thou Art and one CD for GI Bles and Blue Hawaii, and 1 CD for the 68 Special. Although this could be added to the exta time in thse other CDs Thats a total of 17 CDs for the 60s material.

Then all the 70 material could be put on 5 CDs maybe 6.

So all the masters are on about 26 CD's then the rest would be the 'interesting alternates, live and demo recordings',

Burning Love

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

I'd be stunned this even sees the light of day... much like the feeling i get concerning the Sun project!

Burning Love
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Burning Love »

Speaking of the Sun Project I really cant wait until that comes out. I was in Memphis in August and of Course I went to Sun. There is something about walking into that studio and just feeling the mistique of that era. On top of that Lauterdale Courts being so close and realizing that first run that Elvis took to Sun to answer Marions call.

I cant wait!!!!!

Burning Love

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

This is the ideal opportunity to issue every master choronologically, it the best sound ever, and in their most complete form yet. I.e. All fade out songs should run to the very end.

It would be good to have every single studio master, plus the live masters. The live masters shouldn't be in a disc of their own, they should be where they fit chronologically among the studio masters.

By live master, I would assume it means a live version of a song that was never cut in the studio such as My Babe, Polk Salad Annie, Something (again), Never Been to Spain, Let Me Be There, If You Love Me etc etc.

My favourite chronology is the bear family Jim Reeves set WELCOME TO MY WORLD which is 16 discs long.

I actually don't care too much about outtakes being included on this project, I just think it's gonna be great to finally have the complete works in chronological order from one source, rather than my own CDR version which I keep updating.

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

MysteryTrain wrote:Here's an idea how this set could be marketed at approximately $1,000.00.

Do like the UK did with the singles box sets. Sell the box, book and one CD for $99.00; then sell 1 additional CD for 29 months at $30.00 per CD. In the end, the customer would have paid $969.00.

Just a thought.

Mystery Train
No - we don't like the $1,000 price tag! Don't let them think that would be ok :wink:

But you do have a good idea. However, it sounds like that would probably not happen. It will be a one-shot, 30 disc package all together.

Rich

ImageImageImage