Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: EU plans to extend copyright law

Post by PEP »

Scott

Post by Scott »

Scott wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott wrote:That implies there was something unjustified about MRS's existence and their work ...
Good eye!
Okay then, what was the injustice re MRS in your opinion?
Scott wrote:Will The Doc do me the courtesy of responding here?
Obviously, he won't! :?

drjohncarpenter

Re: "It's Over" for MRS?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Matthew wrote:If this means FTD will return to putting out some 50s material without fear of plagiarism I'm all for it. Bring on that Hayride show!
BINGO!

Trust me, December 15, 1956 is a terrific performance, in front of 9,000 screaming fans!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:If this means FTD will return to putting out some 50s material without fear of plagiarism I'm all for it. Bring on that Hayride show!
BINGO!

Trust me, December 15, 1956 is a terrific performance, in front of 9,000 screaming fans!
How does it compare to Elvis' final 1976 Tahoe engagement?

drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Trust me, December 15, 1956 is a terrific performance, in front of 9,000 screaming fans!
Well, there were five times as many people in Shreveport, who were about 40 years younger.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Trust me, December 15, 1956 is a terrific performance, in front of 9,000 screaming fans!
Well, there were five times as many people in Shreveport, who were about 40 years younger.
Doc, when you're on, you're ON. 8)

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Yeah, but we're talking an exclusive showroom in Tahoe in 1976. That is a place where music history was made.

You know, there are some people around here that would take all the 1976 Tahoe gigs in soundboard quality over a soundboard of the 12/15/56 show without hesitation.

PEP

Post by PEP »

I been able to find out through email, where I was able to confirm, that The Commission proposal does not propose putting works that have already entered the public domain back into copyright. However, any work that has not yet entered the public domain will have the extended term applied to it.
So basically what that means, is all of Elvis' 50's material will be, by definition, considered public domain in Europe. Thus in return, any company that chooses to duplicate and sell Elvis' 50's recorded material in any form from here on in, in Europe, even if the new law comes into effect, they will be doing so, legally.
This confirmation comes from Becky Hogge, Executive Director, The Open Rights Group/Sound recordings group.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/org-gro/

PEP 8)

drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:You know, there are some people around here that would take all the 1976 Tahoe gigs in soundboard quality over a soundboard of the 12/15/56 show without hesitation.
Well, you don't get David Briggs doing "Lady Madonna" or Elvis singing "The Mickey Mouse March" on that Shreveport tape.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

PEP

Post by PEP »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:You know, there are some people around here that would take all the 1976 Tahoe gigs in soundboard quality over a soundboard of the 12/15/56 show without hesitation.
Well, you don't get David Briggs doing "Lady Madonna" or Elvis singing "The Mickey Mouse March" on that Shreveport tape.
You two have to give me a hint here, with what your both writing about, back and forth, what does it have to do with the threads topic?

Please explain?

PEP 8)

Scott

Post by Scott »

PEP wrote:So basically what that means, is all of Elvis' 50's material will be, by definition, considered public domain in Europe. Thus in return, any company that chooses to duplicate and sell Elvis' 50's recorded material in any form from here on in, in Europe, even if the new law comes into effect, they will be doing so, legally.
Good.

Bring on the 60s and70s stuff as well!

elvis presley scrapbook
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by elvis presley scrapbook »

The Commission proposal does not propose putting works that have already entered the public domain back into copyright. However, any work that has not yet entered the public domain will have the extended term applied to it.
Therefore the entire Elvis 50’s Cataloge, including tracks recently found and not released officially within the 50 year period will remain Public Domain.
So as PEP noted
Any company that chooses to duplicate and sell Elvis' 50's recorded material in any form from here on in, in Europe, even if the new law comes into effect, they will be doing so, legally.
MRS is legal :shock: :lol: :wink:

03/08/21: Account deactivated at the request of the member.

Scott

Post by Scott »

elvis presley scrapbook wrote: MRS is legal :shock: :lol: :wink:
Again ... good.

PEP

Post by PEP »

Scott wrote:
PEP wrote:So basically what that means, is all of Elvis' 50's material will be, by definition, considered public domain in Europe. Thus in return, any company that chooses to duplicate and sell Elvis' 50's recorded material in any form from here on in, in Europe, even if the new law comes into effect, they will be doing so, legally.
Good.

Bring on the 60s and70s stuff as well!
Scott, if one reads between the lines, this will not happen, as the law does look like, it will soon pass. Which will mean, Elvis' 60's and 70's material, will continue to be protected by copyright by the new law in Europe, regardless.

Now, one does have to consider this, if we talk about Elvis' 50's material, which sounds like all may fall into the public domain category in Europe, this does not mean this material would be allowed to be sold out side of Europe, in a legal sense. Which really has always been the case anyway. However, with this new law, being put into place, there maybe a clause put into effect which may make it more difficult to purchase this material from any dealer who does try to sell the public domain material outside of Europe. But, this of course, all gets back to policing. Which will be up to FTD/RCA/BMG/SONY to enforce the law to the letter for their own advantage or leverage, depending on the way One looks at it. If the fine or law becomes more strict for the dealers or distributors.

PEP 8)

Elvis Australia
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Elvis Australia »

PEP, I think you are wrong when you state "However, with this new law, being put into place, there may be a clause put into effect which may make it more difficult to purchase this material from any dealer who does try to sell the public domain material outside of Europe"

This would have to be a law set in each individual country, not the EU.

For example it is not legal to produce the so called PD domain releases in Australia but if a product is made legally in a country it can be imported legally to Australia and sold. But not so for the USA.

BTW, movies too are out of copyright in the same way as music is currently.

David Troedson

Elvis Australia

PEP

Post by PEP »

Elvis Australia wrote:PEP, I think you are wrong when you state "However, with this new law, being put into place, there may be a clause put into effect which may make it more difficult to purchase this material from any dealer who does try to sell the public domain material outside of Europe"

This would have to be a law set in each individual country, not the EU.

For example it is not legal to produce the so called PD domain releases in Australia but if a product is made legally in a country it can be imported legally to Australia and sold. But not so for the USA.

BTW, movies too are out of copyright in the same way as music is currently.
Hi David
Yes, what you say could very well be true, each country would have their own laws, rules and guidelines to follow.

PEP 8)

Scott

Post by Scott »

PEP wrote:each country would have their own laws, rules and guidelines to follow.
That's why I said "good".

As far as I'm concerned, the quicker copyright is taken away from BMG at al over Elvis, the better.

I have my reasons for saying so ...

drjohncarpenter

PEP wrote: ... what does it have to do with the threads topic?
If the copyright laws change, it may lessen BMG's presumed reluctance to issue shows like 12-15-56, since fly-by-night, rip-off companies will not be able to copy the audio, claim a "new" source, and release the product under their own banner with fancy photos and graphics without legal repercussions.

The Tahoe '76 shows were humourously cited as a alternative release to 12-15-56, as many fans here would probably be happier with than 12-15-56. My subsequent reply was simply a tongue-in-cheek follow-up to that gentle riposte.

It is quite common for internet forum topics to develop tangential conversations, it is certainly a standard on FECC, and if these are held in good humour, I fail to see a problem.

Hope this helps!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Scott wrote:
PEP wrote:each country would have their own laws, rules and guidelines to follow.
That's why I said "good".

As far as I'm concerned, the quicker copyright is taken away from BMG at al over Elvis, the better.

I have my reasons for saying so ...
What reason?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is quite common for internet forum topics to develop tangential conversations
Prefer good old English, myself................................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

drjohncarpenter

ColinB wrote:Prefer good old English, myself................................
That explains a lot ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:Prefer good old English, myself................................
That explains a lot ...

If it tastes like malt whisky, I'll give it a go !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

drjohncarpenter wrote:If the copyright laws change, it may lessen BMG's presumed reluctance to issue shows like 12-15-56, since fly-by-night, rip-off companies will not be able to copy the audio, claim a "new" source, and release the product under their own banner with fancy photos and graphics without legal repercussions.
This seems to be a hard concept for some to grasp. The written threat of this exist in digital "print" - but clearly is not allowed to be cited here.

PEP

Post by PEP »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PEP wrote: ... what does it have to do with the threads topic?
If the copyright laws change, it may lessen BMG's presumed reluctance to issue shows like 12-15-56, since fly-by-night, rip-off companies will not be able to copy the audio, claim a "new" source, and release the product under their own banner with fancy photos and graphics without legal repercussions.

The Tahoe '76 shows were humourously cited as a alternative release to 12-15-56, as many fans here would probably be happier with than 12-15-56. My subsequent reply was simply a tongue-in-cheek follow-up to that gentle riposte.

It is quite common for internet forum topics to develop tangential conversations, it is certainly a standard on FECC, and if these are held in good humour, I fail to see a problem.

Hope this helps!
Very good :lol: Just wanted you to be clear.

Keep in mind this, it would appear, if the new law goes into effect and since 12-15-56 was recorded in the 50's, it would fall into the public domain category anyway. Or do you believe, that if 12-15-56 is released in 09' for the sake of argument the copyright begins then? If that is the case, that is not how I am understanding how the law reads now and how it will read if the new law is passed. Or do you still see it other wise? An thus, in your opinion, this is why FTD will wait for its release, to wait for the new law to take effect?

But then, lets say for the sake of argument, if the new law does go into effect, which sounds like it will happen and it turns out 12-15-56 if released in 09' gains no copyright protection. Do you believe FTD will not release the show then at all and they will then sit on it for eternity ?

PEP 8)

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Monique »

javilu wrote:Hi there!
Who changed the title of my thread without letting me know about it? Well....

Anyway, in my opinion this is good, 'cause as a fan of the Bear Family deluxe releases, tell me why the label would go through the trouble of tracking down rare masters, spending lots of money on remastering, licensing and releasing fantastic books to go with the music if any prick the can copy the cds and release them for a few cents a few days after?
Same goes for any Elvis in the 50's.
Picture Ernst is offered the complete Hound Dog sessions. Why would he pay top money for it when after a day of release there would be a gazillion labels copying and selling it for a cheap price ?
Looks to me that the problem can be solved by starting the 50 years term not the moment the song was recorded, but the moment the song was released the first time. Life can be so simple... 8)

Always Elvis on my mind