Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
javilu
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

EU plans to extend copyright law

Post by javilu »

Sorry if this came about before but I'm not as lucky as all of you who have the time to read each and every post! :lol:
I've just read this in the Beatlegs yahoo group:

Asunto: Re: [Beatlegs] Re: Beatle remasters finally?
Para: Beatlegs@yahoogroups.com

Fecha: viernes, 5 de septiembre de 2008, 1:18 pm

Just a note... The EU has adopted the extented copyright law. The formal signing will take place shortly. Meaning, the copyright will be protected for 95 years from conception, just as they are in the North America and Japan.
SB

Is it true?

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Re: "It's Over" for MRS?

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

javilu wrote:The EU has adopted the extented copyright law. The formal signing will take place shortly. Meaning, the copyright will be protected for 95 years from conception, just as they are in the North America and Japan ... Is it true?
If so, what wonderful news indeed!

Justice is served!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvis presley scrapbook
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by elvis presley scrapbook »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Justice is served!
Not quite

03/08/21: Account deactivated at the request of the member.

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by deadringer »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:The EU has adopted the extented copyright law. The formal signing will take place shortly. Meaning, the copyright will be protected for 95 years from conception, just as they are in the North America and Japan ... Is it true?

Justice is served!
Well it will be still long way... EU is not one country and copyright legislation differ... but at the end I assume that copyright laws will be unified in every EU country. Actually in some EU countries is not a 50-years limit but 70 years now. So we will see. Still, I do not expect to see these changes soon.

Richard Palmer

Post by Richard Palmer »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Justice is served!
Wonderful news! Now Lisa's brats never have to work again.

Scott

Post by Scott »

drjohncarpenter wrote:If so, what wonderful news indeed!

Justice is served!
"Justice is served"? :smt005 That implies there was something unjustified about MRS's existence and their work in the first place! And justice for whom or what, exactly?

What a joke.
Last edited by Scott on Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Scott wrote:That implies there was something unjustified about MRS's existence and their work ...
Good eye!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

lucio

Post by lucio »

I think even if MRS ends up just putting out books, I'd be happy. I'm not a big collector of 50s Elvis books but did really enjoy the ones from MRS and would buy more from them. Would love to see them release some 60s-70s photo books in full colour.
Of course another release like Tupelo would certainly be welcome as well.
Lucio

drjohncarpenter

lucio wrote:I think even if MRS ends up just putting out books, I'd be happy. I'm not a big collector of 50s Elvis books but did really enjoy the ones from MRS ...
Do you have the Ger Rijff library?

http://www.brian56.dk/rijff.htm

Or Flashback (FTD, 2004)?

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/flashbackftd.html

Or Rocking across Texas (FTD, 2005)?

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/rockingtexas.html

Worthy purchases all.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

I guess this means we won't be getting the "Pied Piper" anytime soon.

King Of The Jungle

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If this means FTD will return to putting out some 50s material without fear of plagiarism I'm all for it. Bring on that Hayride show!

Scott

Post by Scott »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott wrote:That implies there was something unjustified about MRS's existence and their work ...
Good eye!
Okay then, what was the injustice re MRS in your opinion?

likethebike

Re: "It's Over" EU has adopted the extented copyright law

Post by likethebike »

This is an absolutely disastrous, culturally destructive piece of legislation that further takes culture out of the hands of the many and puts in the hands of the corporate few. I was about to chastise Scott on another thread for being too cynical (no offense Scott) about politics, but it's sure tough argue that point of view when you see an absolutely bought piece of legislation like this. 95 years from creation is totally insane. Totally. Do you realize that if legislation like this had been in place a hundred years ago or so that only recently would we getting interpretations of Sherlock Holmes from writers outside the Conan-Doyle family or whomever owns the rights? Local schools would have had to wait until 1938 to have done a version of Dickens' Christmas Carol without paying royalties. This along with the equally greedy and insane US copywrite laws is going to be destructive culture all in the name of padding pockets of a few millioniare performers and many more corporate big wigs.

Torben

Re: "It's Over" EU has adopted the extented copyright law

Post by Torben »

Every bright person with an interest in vintage music would consider this bad news. The extension is a blow to our cultural heritage as it will hinder the re-release of most music on newer media for a very long time. Record companies obviously have no intention of re-releasing most of what's in their archives (remember the 83 per cent of unavailable music mentioned on this thread). The new law only serves the big wigs and is a piece of impudence to the consumer.

PEP

Re: EU plans to extend copyright law

Post by PEP »

It is to my understanding, even if the law does change, all recordings that have gone out of copyright and fallen into Public Domian, they will remain so. Something does not fall into copyright once it has fallen out. Therefore all of Elvis’ recordings from the 1950’s will remain Public Domian, a company like MRS as a example, has probably at least 3 years of life, since it has only released the Sun years and 10 other tracks from the 50’s.

PEP 8)

Topic author
javilu

Post by javilu »

Hi there!
Who changed the title of my thread without letting me know about it? Well....

Anyway, in my opinion this is good, 'cause as a fan of the Bear Family deluxe releases, tell me why the label would go through the trouble of tracking down rare masters, spending lots of money on remastering, licensing and releasing fantastic books to go with the music if any prick the can copy the cds and release them for a few cents a few days after?
Same goes for any Elvis in the 50's.
Picture Ernst is offered the complete Hound Dog sessions. Why would he pay top money for it when after a day of release there would be a gazillion labels copying and selling it for a cheap price ?

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

RonBaker2003
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Exactly right, Javilu! Hopefully we can now get official FTD versions of "Jailhouse Rock", "King Creole", "Elvis". I'm not so sure about an FTD "Elvis Golden Records" since most of those will have appeared elsewhere. Of course, if they turn up alternate takes of the songs, maybe! I think the track "Loving You" has been totally released though. Probably no outtakes of it anywhere.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Scott wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good eye!
Okay then, what was the injustice re MRS in your opinion?
Scott wrote:Will The Doc do me the courtesy of responding here?
Obviously, he won't! :?
Last edited by Scott on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Elvis obscures the picture Javilu because his records are still easy to obtain and so popular. A label like Bear Family might actually welcome recordings falling into the PD because it would give them access to recordings they currently can't touch. As Torben points out, the vast majority vintage music is currently not in print. And the people who are buying this stuff know what Bear Family are about and the 50 year-old rule is a very long time. The type of packages that Bear does would only be minimally affected. The thing is that all this does is make it harder to find vintage releases and keep people from buying them. It is amazing as the internet continues to make mincemeat of the hard CD industry, how the industry keeps helping it by putting music further out of the public's hands.

Again as I've pointed out many times before this does not leave the artists out in the cold. They can release their own music and receive all the money rather than a piddling royalty if they indeed were even receiving royalties at this late date.

Topic author
javilu

Post by javilu »

likethebike wrote:Elvis obscures the picture Javilu because his records are still easy to obtain and so popular. A label like Bear Family might actually welcome recordings falling into the PD because it would give them access to recordings they currently can't touch. As Torben points out, the vast majority vintage music is currently not in print. And the people who are buying this stuff know what Bear Family are about and the 50 year-old rule is a very long time. The type of packages that Bear does would only be minimally affected. The thing is that all this does is make it harder to find vintage releases and keep people from buying them. It is amazing as the internet continues to make mincemeat of the hard CD industry, how the industry keeps helping it by putting music further out of the public's hands.

Again as I've pointed out many times before this does not leave the artists out in the cold. They can release their own music and receive all the money rather than a piddling royalty if they indeed were even receiving royalties at this late date.
I'd like to clirify that I don't actually care about the artists.
I don't think that someone should be making money from a job they did 50 years ago.
So if Cliff doesn't get royalties from his "Livin' Doll" so be it. Get a job!!!
And I disagree on your opinion about Bear Family. Picture this.
Bear Family released a mostruous boxed set of the complete Johnny Burnette recordings. 9 cds that took maybe years of research of the previously unreleased material, remastering from the best possible sources and compiling the information. Of course such a task would develop into an expensive finished product. Now picture that after the day of release I can go and copy all 9 cds in the boxed set and release them officially for just a small price. I don't say all, but many people would go for the cheap set with the same material.
So I pose the question again: Why should Bear family and other similar labels bother???
if Ernst spends years researching for rare Elvis at Sun masters and rare recordings and the day after the release MRS or whoever copies the same material and releases it, don't you think that some fans who can't afford both might make the FTD set lose sales thus making the effort for compiling the set a waste of money for the producers?
Food for thought.
Javier

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I disagree about Bear Family. It's not just the recordings that people buy. It's the box, it's the hard cover book, it's the pictures. The fans that might buy a single disc or even a cheap box knockoff of Burnette are not going to be the same that buy the Bear Family. Burnette is a good example. If Bear Family did a set in 2009, they would still have rights on all 1959 recordings for a year without fear of duplication, 1960 for two years, 1961 for three years etc.

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvislennon »

PEP wrote:It is to my understanding, even if the law does change, all recordings that have gone out of copyright and fallen into Public Domian, they will remain so. Something does not fall into copyright once it has fallen out. Therefore all of Elvis’ recordings from the 1950’s will remain Public Domian, a company like MRS as a example, has probably at least 3 years of life, since it has only released the Sun years and 10 other tracks from the 50’s.

PEP 8)
As for something falling out of public domain going back into copyright can happen. All a company has to do is buy the rights to the music.

Example: Superman serials from 1948 and 1950 has been in public domain now for about thirty years. Columbia Pictures owned these serials until the early 70s when they got into public domain. Back in 2006 before Superman Returns was release Warner Brothers bought the rights to the serials so they can be release for the fall in a Superman DVD releases like no other. All four movies was re-release, serials, cartoon serials, Supergirl and Superman Returns was all release the October of 2006. The 1940s Superman cartoon serials are now owned by Warner Brothers too. They was in public domain since 1968.

So if RCA branch in europe buys back the copyrights to Elvis' music (which I 100% think it will happen) the music will fall back into the copyright law yet again. That is how they can fall back into the copyright law. It has been done before and it will be done yet again. If it happens to be in public domain and this law passes. Any music company can by the rights to the music since it is public domain. Example: Apple Records can buy Elvis' 50s recordings and release them (which I doubt that will happen) but that give you an idea of how something go back in to the copyright law.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Has anybody seen the latest onslaught of PD releases just announced in the UK in time for the Christmas season?

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

elvislennon wrote:
PEP wrote:It is to my understanding, even if the law does change, all recordings that have gone out of copyright and fallen into Public Domian, they will remain so. Something does not fall into copyright once it has fallen out. Therefore all of Elvis’ recordings from the 1950’s will remain Public Domian, a company like MRS as a example, has probably at least 3 years of life, since it has only released the Sun years and 10 other tracks from the 50’s.

PEP 8)
As for something falling out of public domain going back into copyright can happen. All a company has to do is buy the rights to the music.

Example: Superman serials from 1948 and 1950 has been in public domain now for about thirty years. Columbia Pictures owned these serials until the early 70s when they got into public domain. Back in 2006 before Superman Returns was release Warner Brothers bought the rights to the serials so they can be release for the fall in a Superman DVD releases like no other. All four movies was re-release, serials, cartoon serials, Supergirl and Superman Returns was all release the October of 2006. The 1940s Superman cartoon serials are now owned by Warner Brothers too. They was in public domain since 1968.

So if RCA branch in europe buys back the copyrights to Elvis' music (which I 100% think it will happen) the music will fall back into the copyright law yet again. That is how they can fall back into the copyright law. It has been done before and it will be done yet again. If it happens to be in public domain and this law passes. Any music company can by the rights to the music since it is public domain. Example: Apple Records can buy Elvis' 50s recordings and release them (which I doubt that will happen) but that give you an idea of how something go back in to the copyright law.
I fail to see how this would work.

You say that RCA could buy back the copyrights?

Well - who would they buy them off if nobody owns them?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete