Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis and Vietnam war

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Hello

Nowadays, You, guys, are talking a lot of LBJ, nixon ;

elvis' opinion about the Vietnam war isn t clear despite he shook hands with Nixon. Given he never said anything publicly of this war, what did he say in private :?:

Re: Elvis and Vietnam war

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:58 pm

How in the hell would we all know what Presley said in private :roll:? Man, I don't want to sound like a prick, but isn't that a dumb question!?

Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:00 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:How in the hell would we all know what Presley said in private :roll:? ?

i was thinking about the MM ( i have not read their books but maybe they talk of it ? )

Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:48 pm

tcb4 wrote:elvis' opinion about the Vietnam war isn t clear despite he shook hands with Nixon. Given he never said anything publicly of this war ...

Yes, he did. Elvis made his opinion on Vietnam very clear in 1968:

Been to Vietnam
Been a fightin' in the war
Army bar, army chow, army clothes, army car

Uh-uh!

Too much monkey business
Too much monkey business
Too much monkey business for me to be involved in
Uh-huh-huh

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:23 pm

I would bet the colonel advised E not to talk about politics :!:

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:50 pm

And yet -- he did, right there on RCA PRS 279 in November 1968.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:43 pm

Bearing in mind Elvis military service it might be assumed that he supported USA action at the time.

Another clue might be that he expressed no opposition to the conflict.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Another clue might be that he expressed no opposition to the conflict.

Not really. In the 1960s, Elvis expressed no opposition to most everything.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 pm

You can pretty-much bet he was in full support of that "war", and the politicians behind it.

Just like Iraq, were he still alive today.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 pm

I think he was just an entertainer and would rather keep his personal opinion to himself

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:38 pm

"I think he was just an entertainer and would rather keep his personal opinion to himself"
as he stated during the NY interview in '72!

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Scott wrote:You can pretty-much bet he was in full support of that "war", and the politicians behind it.

That's quite an assumption! I mean, yes he was a patriot, but that does not automatically mean one has to agree with everything the government does and says. It is possible to love ones country and still be critical about it. Not wanting to turn this into a political discussion, but it's absurd to say he would have supported the war against Iraq.

And even if the Vietnam reference in "Too Much Monkey Business" was perhaps a bit flippant, at least it was some form of statement from Elvis. The original lyrics, I'm sure you all know, have Yokohama instead of Vietnam.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
Scott wrote:You can pretty-much bet he was in full support of that "war", and the politicians behind it.

That's quite an assumption! I mean, yes he was a patriot, but that does not automatically mean one has to agree with everything the government does and says. It is possible to love ones country and still be critical about it. Not wanting to turn this into a political discussion, but it's absurd to say he would have supported the war against Iraq.

You must be kidding ... :shock:

Read his letter to Nixon, for instance. He was of the "My country, right or wrong" variety.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Isn't that what's great about Elvis?

Anyone can superimpose their views on him and believe that what they think is what Elvis would have thought.

Never ceases to amaze me...

Geoff

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm

bajo wrote:"I think he was just an entertainer and would rather keep his personal opinion to himself"
as he stated during the NY interview in '72!

that s the kind of sentence that you say when you don t want to bother anybody :idea:

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:Isn't that what's great about Elvis?

Anyone can superimpose their views on him and believe that what they think is what Elvis would have thought.

Geoff

Bullseye!

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:Isn't that what's great about Elvis?

Geoff

Oh, please.

Okay then ... Elvis was against the Vietnam war, and certainly spent a lot of time questioning his government.

Happy now?

FFS ... :?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:05 pm

-
Last edited by tcb4 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Keep dreaming!

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Scott wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:

You must be kidding ... :shock:

Read his letter to Nixon, for instance. He was of the "My country, right or wrong" variety.

No, you must be kidding. I've read the Nixon letter, and I also know what he said about The Beatles while he was playing their songs live, the man couldn't always be trusted! :wink: But, seriously, of course there is a possibility he would have been in support of the Iraq war had he been alive. And there is a possibility he would have been against it. You don't know what went on in EP's mind any more than I do, you just pretend you do.

Still the only evidence we have, one way or the other, is that Elvis chose to make a reference (and not a positive one) to Vietnam in that January 1968 recording. Make of that what you will.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Still the only evidence we have, one way or the other, is that Elvis chose to make a reference (and not a positive one) to Vietnam in that January 1968 recording. Make of that what you will.

Thank you for making note of my latest astute -- and rib-tickling -- post.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Still the only evidence we have, one way or the other, is that Elvis chose to make a reference (and not a positive one) to Vietnam in that January 1968 recording.
Make of that what you will.

Well, I reckon he was simply singing the Chuck Berry lyrics 'as written' rather than making any political statement !

When he said that he was 'just an entertainer' and would rather keep his political views to himself, I guess he was really saying that he didn't want to risk alienating a part of his audience or fan base by declaring his position on anything outside of the music world.

Some other performers, who felt passionately enough about things, did take that risk, sometimes with consequences that were detrimental to their careers, like Jane Fonda or [more recently] The Dixie Chicks.

It's a personal choice, and Elvis chose to keep quiet.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 pm

ColinB wrote:Well, I reckon he was simply singing the Chuck Berry lyrics 'as written' rather than making any political statement.

You mis-reckon, as Chuck's original 1956 lyric quite understandably cites the Korean War.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:Well, I reckon he was simply singing the Chuck Berry lyrics 'as written' rather than making any political statement.

You mis-reckon, as Chuck's original 1956 lyric quite understandably cites the Korean War.

Well, the lyrics 'as written' but updated, then !

My point [that Elvis wasn't expressing a personal view] remains valid.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Didn't Elvis greet the vietnamese army on the balcony in Vegas 1970?