Elvis and Vietnam war

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis and Vietnam war

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TJ wrote:They seem like indirect quotes though.
Perhaps.

But what the memo does confirm is how desperate Elvis was at this point in his life to receive official badges and recognition from law officials, such as the badge he got Nixon to give him, or the (failed) request to meet FBI director Hoover.

There is no written or oral support from Presley or his closest friends or family that he hated any of these people. On the other hand, Marty Lacker IS on record in print and the internet as saying that all those "anti-Beatles" comments are hogwash -- he never heard anything of the sort when he was around Elvis.

It's very sad to see his obsession so out of control at the age of 35.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu May 14, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by tcb4 »

funny that E took the pseudo Colonel Burrows :D

Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Daryl »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Perhaps.

But what the memo does confirm is how desperate Elvis was at this point in his life to receive official badges and recognition from law officials, such as the badge he got Nixon to give him, or the (failed) request to meet FBI director Herbert Hoover.

There is no written or oral support from Presley or his closest friends or family that he hated any of these people. On the other hand, Marty Lacker IS on record in print and the internet as saying that all those "anti-Beatles" comments are hogwash -- he never heard anything of the sort when he was around Elvis.

J. Edgar Hoover was the director of the FBI. Herbert Hoover was the 31st president of the United States.

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Doc Carpenter wrote:
On the other hand, Marty Lacker IS on record in print and the internet as saying that all those "anti-Beatles" comments are hogwash -- he never heard anything of the sort when he was around Elvis.
On the other hand, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr are all on record in print and on camera as stating that they view the "anti-Beatles" comments as serious as a ten car pileup; else why would they even make reference to it in both "The Beatles Anthology" book and the the television special/home video that shares the book's name.

Daryl

drjohncarpenter

Why?

(1) Because they were unaware of Marty Lacker's experience, and only had the distorted media view as a reference point

(2) Because they wereg greatly influenced by Elvis as teenagers, and the tales of a grown man being obsessed to the point of telling falsehoods to gain official badges and meetings with powerful people is rightfully sad

Hope that allieviates any concerns you may have.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Why?

(1) Because they were unaware of Marty Lacker's experience, and only had the distorted media view as a reference point

(2) Because they wereg greatly influenced by Elvis as teenagers, and the tales of a grown man being obsessed to the point of telling falsehoods to gain official badges and meetings with powerful people is rightfully sad

Hope that allieviates any concerns you may have.
Question for everyone

Do you think it was wrong for Elvis to badmouth the Beatles to Nixon even though he didn't mean it just to get the badge he wanted?
I do

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Daryl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Perhaps.

But what the memo does confirm is how desperate Elvis was at this point in his life to receive official badges and recognition from law officials, such as the badge he got Nixon to give him, or the (failed) request to meet FBI director Herbert Hoover.

J. Edgar Hoover was the director of the FBI. Herbert Hoover was the 31st president of the United States.
I'm sure I asked which one invented the vacuum cleaner, but it seems to have disappeared.

The reply as well !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

drjohncarpenter

brian wrote:Do you think it was wrong for Elvis to badmouth the Beatles to Nixon even though he didn't mean it just to get the badge he wanted?
I already touched upon this.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

!
ColinB:
Please stay on topic. The topic is "Elvis and the Vietnam War". Not the history of Vacuum Cleaners. ;) Thanks.

Colin B

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Who is to say that Marty Lacker is telling the truth? You put a lot of credence in what the guy says. --> Prime example Johnny Rivers. Given his penchant for saying nice things about a person one minute and nasty things later on, an excellent example being his comments on Priscilla, one has to wonder how much weight should you put in what Marty Lacker says.

Funny, awhile back you asked for errors that were made in Ernst Jorgensen's "A Life In Music" book in a different thread. On Page 343:

"The very first, Red's 'Separate Ways,' went through twenty-five takes the first night, while 'For The Good Times' got four and Paul Williams's 'Where Do I Go From Here,' a [Freddy] Bienstock contribution, took eight tries."

However, on page 566 of the Alanna Nash book she wrote with Billy Smith, Marty Lacker, and Lamar Fike, "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia", Marty Lacker is quoted:

"And I brought in a real left-field song by Paul Williams, 'Where Do I Go From Here?'"

Given Marty's disdain for Freddy Bienstock and what he tried to do to Elvis and Chips Moman during the 1969 sessions I seriously doubt Marty submitted the song through Freddy.

So who's telling the truth Marty or Ernst?

Ever notice how Marty puts himself at the center of attention of all the "seemingly good" things he did for Elvis --> the water fountain in the Jungle Room, the American sessions, bringing "Where Do I Go From Here" to Elvis, telling Johnny Rivers off, etc. But nowhere does he ever admit with any remorse to the things he did that were wrong for Elvis. I don't know about you, but that sets my B.S. meter through the roof.

As for your second point, do you really think that Elvis harbored ill feelings towards the Beatles. I don't think he gave a damn one way or the other about the Beatles. I think he liked some of their music and that's about as far as it went. Fact of the matter is, when the meeting with Nixon took place in December 1970, the Beatles had already split up. Was Elvis possibly medicated if he did make those disparaging remarks about the Beatles. People have been known to do and say stupid and illogical things while medicated. And I'm sure the Beatles are smart enough to figure that out themselves. And anyone who watches the rehearsal footage from just a few months earlier, July 1970 can tell, Elvis is under the influence. Look at Elvis' eyes. Now watch the 1968 television special, He's in his prime, singing like there is no tomorrow. And what does he say, "I like alot of the new music, the Beatles and the beards." I don't need to refer to what Marty Lacker says to figure out that Elvis liked some of the Beatles music.

Daryl

drjohncarpenter

Daryl wrote:Who is to say that Marty Lacker is telling the truth?
Let's put it this way: We'll take Marty's word over yours any day of the week.
Daryl wrote:You put a lot of credence in what the guy says.
--> Prime example Johnny Rivers.
Oh-oh.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

ColinB wrote:

!
ColinB:
Please stay on topic. The topic is "Elvis and the Vietnam War". Not the history of Vacuum Cleaners. ;) Thanks.
Well, thank you.

I did a lot of research on that post.

Some divergence from the topic at hand can be informative, enlightening & entertaining............................

Colin B

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Daryl wrote:Who is to say that Marty Lacker is telling the truth? You put a lot of credence in what the guy says. --> Prime example Johnny Rivers. Given his penchant for saying nice things about a person one minute and nasty things later on, an excellent example being his comments on Priscilla, one has to wonder how much weight should you put in what Marty Lacker says.

Funny, awhile back you asked for errors that were made in Ernst Jorgensen's "A Life In Music" book in a different thread. On Page 343:

"The very first, Red's 'Separate Ways,' went through twenty-five takes the first night, while 'For The Good Times' got four and Paul Williams's 'Where Do I Go From Here,' a [Freddy] Bienstock contribution, took eight tries."

However, on page 566 of the Alanna Nash book she wrote with Billy Smith, Marty Lacker, and Lamar Fike, "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia", Marty Lacker is quoted:

"And I brought in a real left-field song by Paul Williams, 'Where Do I Go From Here?'"

Given Marty's disdain for Freddy Bienstock and what he tried to do to Elvis and Chips Moman during the 1969 sessions I seriously doubt Marty submitted the song through Freddy.

Ever notice how Marty puts himself at the center of attention of all the "seemingly good" things he did for Elvis --> the water fountain in the Jungle Room, the American sessions, bringing "Where Do I Go From Here" to Elvis, telling Johnny Rivers off, etc. But nowhere does he ever admit with any remorse to the things he did that were wrong for Elvis. I don't know about you, but that sets my B.S. meter through the roof.

As for your second point, do you really think that Elvis harbored ill feelings towards the Beatles. I don't think he gave a damn one way or the other about the Beatles. I think he liked some of their music and that's about as far as it went. Fact of the matter is, when the meeting with Nixon took place in December 1970, the Beatles had already split up. Was Elvis possibly medicated if he did make those disparaging remarks about the Beatles. People have been known to do and say stupid and illogical things while medicated. And I'm sure the Beatles are smart enough to figure that out themselves. And anyone who watches the rehearsal footage from just a few months earlier, July 1970 can tell, Elvis is under the influence. Look at Elvis' eyes. Now watch the 1968 television special, He's in his prime, singing like there is no tomorrow. And what does he say, "I like alot of the new music, the Beatles and the beards." I don't need to refer to what Marty Lacker says to figure out that Elvis liked some of the Beatles music.

Daryl
He says "the Beatles and the Byrds" - it's a strange wayt of pronouncing it I admit.

Great article Daryl. Enjoyed and agreed with all of that!

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

He says "the Beatles and the Byrds" - it's a strange wayt of pronouncing it I admit.
Nothing strange at all!'

It was revealed recently that the writer of the line "The Beatles and the Byrds" had a beard. Elvis was making an in-house JOKE when he read it as "The Beatles and the beards .

Whether or not Elvis agreed with all the utterings the the script called for is a matter of conjecture.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

drjohncarpenter

KiwiAlan wrote:It was revealed recently that the writer of the line "The Beatles and the Byrds" had a beard. Elvis was making an in-house JOKE when he read it as "The Beatles and the beards .

Whether or not Elvis agreed with all the utterings the the script called for is a matter of conjecture.
Your post is a "matter of conjecture" ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

DrJohnCarpenter wrote:Let's put it this way: We'll take Marty's word over yours any day of the week.
Let's put it this way: I'll take Elvis' word over Marty Lackers, your word and whoever else you're referring to when you say "we'll".

:smt006

Daryl

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

KiwiAlan wrote:
Nothing strange at all!'

It was revealed recently that the writer of the line "The Beatles and the Byrds" had a beard. Elvis was making an in-house JOKE when he read it as "The Beatles and the beards .

Not exactly. The recent explanation for the joke is that one of the writers on the show was called Chris Bearde and Elvis was talking about him. I'm not totally convinced by the story though. Could easily be something that occurred to Bearde later and over time has become fact in his head.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Daryl wrote:Who is to say that Marty Lacker is telling the truth? You put a lot of credence in what the guy says. --> Prime example Johnny Rivers. Given his penchant for saying nice things about a person one minute and nasty things later on, an excellent example being his comments on Priscilla, one has to wonder how much weight should you put in what Marty Lacker says.

Out of curiousity What are some of the things Marty Lacker did wrong for Elvis?

Regarding the song Where Do I go from here Marty Lacker says that's an error in Ernst book

I believe he said he got it through Herp Alpert from A&M records or something like that but bottom line is Marty Lacker says Freddie Beinstock didn't submit the song he did.

I do believe the story about Johnny Rivers because all the Memphis Mafia members say he did not just Marty Lacker.

Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

tupelo_boy wrote:Isn't that what's great about Elvis?

Anyone can superimpose their views on him and believe that what they think is what Elvis would have thought.

Never ceases to amaze me...

Geoff

He's like The Bible.

But you can dance to him...

("Woe, ye mothers!")

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Inigo Montoya wrote:...He's like The Bible...
This MB is like the Bible with all these old threads being raised from the dead.........................

Colin B

Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

ColinB wrote:
This MB is like the Bible with all these old threads being raised from the dead.........................
I cast out thy demons. Begone, foul imps!!!!!!

Hallelujah.

Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote: Well, I reckon he was simply singing the Chuck Berry lyrics 'as written' rather than making any political statement.
You mis-reckon, as Chuck's original 1956 lyric quite understandably cites the Korean War.
Yokohama's in Japan. Could be a WWII reference, though it's possible the line refers to being stationed in Japan or there on R 'n' R 1950-1953.

Of course, Chuckles wasn't involved in either war and the important bit is that Elvis DID change the lyric, for whatever reason, and happened to do so at the bloodiest height of the Vietnam conflict.

Actually, I know someone who landed in Vietnam on the same day this song was recorded (an Elvis fan), whose subsequent two years of infantry horror in the boonies of the A Shau Valley area -- and he arrived just in time for the Tet festivities -- was at the very least a good bit too much monkey business.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Inigo Montoya wrote:
ColinB wrote:
I cast out thy demons. Begone, foul imps!!!!!!

Hallelujah.
Cast them out ?

Resurrect them, more like...........................

Colin B

Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

ColinB wrote:
Cast them out ?

Resurrect them, more like...........................
If it lasts more than four hours, call a doctor.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

Get the book bt Lt. William Taylor. Elvis & Army is the simpe title. So simple I hope it is correct. Amazon Canada still had some.
Ok. Elvis was against invovlevement in "Indochina" even before the Gulf of Tonkin thing.
"Most people I know don't want ant more of those Korean type hings. People rninning all over the world so some politician can act tough." He said this to a pro-involvement person. Taylor thought he was very prophtic for such a person with as he saw it little education. The guy looked down on his background but respected him.
Everyone here should get ahold of this vital yet unpretentious book.
You got it right doc!

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64