Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rock Around The Clock

Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:53 pm

Hi folks -
About a week or so ago there was a thread concerning unreleased Sun, Loiusiana Hayride, and 55-57 live material. One of the titles mentioned as a possible Hayride or live track was "Rock Around The Clock". Well folks, I would swear that sometime in the early to mid 80's I heard a brief excerpt of Elvis doing this song. It was on a radio tribute show. It was definitely a live performance. Again, it was a very brief excerpt. My memory is that Elvis sang the "1, 2, 3 O'clock 4 O'clock rock" line up to and including the "we're gonna rock around the clock tonight" line. With all the Hayride material that's been released over the years I've wondered why this hasn't turned up as of yet (assuming it is in fact a Hayride performance). As to how this got onto the radio show I haven't a clue. I just figured it was something that somehow "slipped through the cracks" so to speak. I hope I don't set off a ****storm of controversy with this post, but I heard what I heard! All (civil) comments welcome.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:55 am

Pete -

If this snippet was indeed Elvis, there's no way it wouldn't have slipped out by now. Recall that early 1980s advert for a special "Million Dollar Quartet" LP where the announcer cites "You Belong To My Heart" followed by a legitimate segment of the cut? It popped up on 1983's Play It Hot "import."

This doesn't mean such a recording is not out there, of course. It only means we have yet -- after nearly FIFTY years -- to hear it.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:56 am

there's been that rumor that its on a acetate or tape somewhere in someone's collection for years but that person hasn't released it to bmg.
ep did this song in kingsport,tn sept 5,1955 my friend was there he said it was done.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:26 am

"ep did this song in kingsport,tn sept 5,1955 my friend was there he said it was done"

Wrong. This is the <u>second</u> time you've cited your "friend's" 48 year-old memory, tulsa. Please quit bringing ths stuff around.

Elvis was in <i>Forrest City, Arkansas</i> on 05 Sep'55. He played Kingsport at the end of the month.

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK

Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:18 pm

It is very likely that Elvis did perform this song, along with "Maybelline", "Hearts of stone" etc due to his own limited repetoire at that time. However, I reckon that the chances of it's survival are very small indeed. It is one song I would DESPERATELY love to hear Elvis do.