Walmart elvis DVD display

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Walmart elvis DVD display

Post by ekenee »

I was just down at Walmart and they had set up a whole Elvis display of his movies. Nothing was priced so I am not sure if they are going to have a sale or not. I didn't have time to ask anybody, but I will check this out in the next day or 2.
I might pick up a few if they are really cheap.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Re: Walmart elvis DVD display

Post by midnightx »

Perhaps, one day a reissue of EOT can become a Wal-mart exclusive! Maybe the studio should be informed of such a concept.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

dont you have them all already?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Kylan wrote:dont you have them all already?
All of Elvis' movies?

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

midnightx wrote:
All of Elvis' movies?
well i was talking to eke! but u can answer if u like! :lol:

Topic author
ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Kylan, here is my deal.

I am an older fan. Not as old as Colin, but I have been thru the VHS era where I had them all.
Now I worry about DVD on the way out, because of blu-ray.
I have rented a few of them on DVD and I own 4.

Since I had seen all of his movies over and over again, I felt no rush in buying barebones editions of his movies, so I waited for the best transfers.
And I am glad I did. "Jailhouse Rock" looks better than I had ever seen it. and it came with a booklet.

I also kept holding out that one day, they would release them with deleted scenes and outtakes. Ie. Lonely man, etc.
And still no complete version of "charro" yet. and if you recall, some films they cut songs. That's a no-no. I will never buy edited movies.

But, and here's a big but, if walmart puts them on sale for real cheap, I'll pick up a few of them.
I hear "viva las vegas" is a great transfer. I bought the 2003, i believe, version of "blue hawaii" but they didn't go back and remaster.
You can still see tiny scratch marks on the film. Its very good, but not excellant, but I only paid $5, so no biggie.
Later.........

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

I guess im a compulsive buyer! cant resist. have em all on dvd. and Viva/JR on blu-ray.. they both look amazing!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Kylan wrote:I guess im a compulsive buyer!
Contradicting comment since you didn't purchase the unbelievable Complete 68 Comeback Special 4 cd set ...

Or did you :?: :wink:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

minkahed wrote:
Kylan wrote:I guess im a compulsive buyer!
Contradicting comment since you didn't purchase the unbelievable Complete 68 Comeback Special 4 cd set ...

Or did you :?: :wink:
ahh u got me there, but i almost pulled the trigger when i was at Best Buy the other day! but i put it back down and told myself i didnt need it!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Kylan wrote: i didnt need it!
Yes you do Kylan !!!

I got mine Wednesday nite and I was seriously impressed and content with what a beautiful representation this box set is, not to mention the better than expected remastering techniques of Vic Anensini.

Highly recommended.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

minkahed wrote:
Kylan wrote: i didnt need it!
Yes you do Kylan !!!

I got mine Wednesday nite and I was seriously impressed and content with what a beautiful representation this box set is, not to mention the better than expected remastering techniques of Vic Anensini.

Highly recommended.
damn now ur gonna make me go back to Best Buy!

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

Ekenee- On DVD all of Elvis' movies have been fixed to include all the songs. "Startin' Tonight" was at one point cut from the 1997 edition of Girl Happy for publishing reasons as was "Smokey Mountain Boy" cut from the same year's edition of Kissin' Cousins. Why the publishers thought these songs were golden properties is anybody's guess. The current DVD editions do not have cuts. Strangely, the version of Roustabout I bought on VHS in the 1990s edited out Barbara Stanwyck's "Well I'll be damned line" after watching Elvis sing "Carnival Time." It's hard to believe but someone in the 1990s actually may have thought that line was offensive.

In a few weeks, Warner is releasing Live a Little Love a Little, Girl Happy, Kissin' Cousins and one other film in a cheap four fer one package. Not a boxed set but one of those multi-movie collections that you see at Walmart from time to time. If you need to catch up that should be a cheap way.

If you buy the versions of Flaming Star and or Wild in the Country that came out in 2002 they both contain the trailer for WITC which contains a snippet of "Lonely Man."

As of this point, I think the Elvis movies that are going to get special editions have gotten them.

I don't know what the recent Paramount releases look like but the ones I bought in individual packages in 2002-2003 have beautiful picture and sound. Of course, being a Paramount product, the packaging isn't stellar as there are often not chapter breaks for individual songs (there are very few chapter breaks in general) and only about half have trailers. This is a shame since the trailer for Girls Girls Girls contains a snippet of Elvis singing "I Don't Want to" a song that is not in the movie.

As for the formats, I sympathize. An encouraging fact though is that Blu Ray players are being made to play DVDs.