Complete show or "best of" selection on the Vegas '74 FTD?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Complete show or "best of" selection on the Vegas '74 FTD?

1- Complete concert
67%
2- Selection
33%

Total votes: 54

Topic author
Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years

Re: Complete show or "best of" selection on the Vegas '74 FTD?

Post by Johanesson »

a mess of polk salad wrote:I would love to see the show with Jackie Wilson in attendance,and in great sound–here's hoping.
YDKM wrote:Yes i think the show with Jackie Wilson in would be a great choice for CD2 :lol:
What is the date of that show?
I don't care which show they will choose,as far as it's unreleased.

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Rock Legend »

I think that at this stage, those that want the complete shows, are primarily motivated by the fact that they want to own “everything” - rather than the listening experience. I really can’t bring myself to listen to complete shows anymore, and I know for a fact that quite a few of the people that still invest in the FTD soundboards don’t even bother listening to them anymore. Many of the shows are so predictable and uninspired, that today they serve as little more than sad reminders of all the lost opportunities of Presley’s last decade. The fact that he died a slow death performing all these mindnumblingly boring shows, doesn’t mean that we have to suffer the same fate LISTENING to them all. Besides, it would also go against Ernst’s philosophy of one show per tour or engagement – and he’s already released “It’s Midnight” (which I’ve played only once). Maybe he should consider ditching the opening show (which most people already have or can easily download), and instead opt for a good one-disc compilation à la “Southern Nights”, containing just the best moments from these shows. I’m sure there’s plenty of good performances and cool one-liners to make this a very worthwile release.
Last edited by Rock Legend on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

Yes,there are fans who listen to the soundboards only once or twice (i think they enjoy the countless "live greatest hits" compilations much more),but i'm definitely not one of them. I like all soundboards i've bought,no matter how good or bad the show is. Of course i prefer the better ones but which are the better ones? It's a matter of taste. For example,i think that the closing show from this season is one of the greatest shows he ever gave. Others hate it and prefer "Aloha From Hawaii" which i very rarely listen to (maybe once in a year).
Those who prefer live selections already got one from this season on LILV CD4. I have no problem with that selection,except that it makes me angry and frustrated that those concerts exists in the vaults in more or less complete form and i have no chance to have them. These shows are too good to remain unreleased,imo. Most likely we will never get them all,but at least one more complete show would be welcome from this season.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I'm with Rock Legend on this. I too would prefer to have highlights on the second disc. I'm still interested in complete shows if they are special -- if they are different or just damn good, a show from 1971 or something. But I have enough complete "standard shows" and don't really need any more. I feel that the "Southern Nights" route is the way to go. That is a fresh, enjoyable disc. With a nice cover to boot! Ernst and his team showed some creative spark there.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by DarrylMac »

Darryl,i understand that this would be good to you,but the majority of the fans would be VERY disappointed. Hopefully FTD will release the complete rehearsal one day,but on this upcoming 2CD-set isn't possible,because that would be a flop financially.
You can't say that. You can say that YOU would be very disappointed, but you can't speak for the "majority" of fans. After all, the Southern Nights FTD was very well recieved at the time, and as others have said, we will now have 2 complete shows from this season on FTD - It's Midnight, and now the opening night. I'd much rather hear stereo rehearsals, plus remaining live highlights from the season on the 2nd disc, to avoid repetition.

To suggest that anyone who doesn't have the opening night show, or rehaearsals go find, or download a copy elsewhere, because you already have it is a little arrogant too. What if I don't want to download a copy, or have a CDR. What if I want a factory pressed product in nice packaging from FTD? Not all fans have access to a vast collection of soundboard / import CD's, and relish the opportunity of getting these shows from FTD.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Johanesson wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:I would love to see the show with Jackie Wilson in attendance,and in great sound–here's hoping.
YDKM wrote:Yes i think the show with Jackie Wilson in would be a great choice for CD2 :lol:
What is the date of that show?
I don't care which show they will choose,as far as it's unreleased.
This is the info of the show.............

Las Vegas. August 20th Dinner Show - Las Vegas Dinner Show (CD-R)
Songs Performed At This Show: See See Rider: I Got A Woman-Amen: Love Me: If You Love Me (Let Me Know): It's Midnight: Proud Mary: Tryin' To Get To You: Big Boss Man: Fever: Promised Land: Love Me Tender: All Shook Up: I'm Leavin': Softly, As I Leave You: Hound Dog: You Gave Me A Mountain: Polk Salad Annie: Introduction of Band: Introduction of a D.J: Higher and Higher(one line): Introduction of Jackie Wilson: If You Talk In Your Sleep: Why Me Lord(With J.D. Sumner): Teddy Bear-Don't Be Cruel: Bridge Over Troubled Water: Hawaiian Wedding Song: Let Me Be There: Can't Help Falling In Love
ATTENDANCE: 2,200
Tryin’ To get to you was released on CD4 of the BMG 4CD Box Set Live in Las Vegas.

It is a pretty good show but I would prefer the Dinner Show from 21st August as that is the only show from this season we don't have.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

Give me the best of the season and I will be happy. Or give me a complete concert from the season and I will be happy in the same way! :D

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

Renan wrote:Give me the best of the season and I will be happy. Or give me a complete concert from the season and I will be happy in the same way! :D
Well-said,Renan! :) I'll be happy even with a best-of selection (if that will be unreleased) but i would prefer a complete show.

Thanks for the info,Ben! Looks like an interesting show.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Here is some of the 'highlights' I have listed during this season (excerpts, introductions, only/first/last live performance and all the other songs performed)

Performed for the only time:
Down in the Alley
Good Time Charlie’s got the Blues
(Both above from Opening Show)
Aubrey (Elvis recites the words)
Bringing It Back (Elvis sings bass)
(Both the songs above are from the Closing Show)

Performed for the first time:
Big Boss Man (Only Time as Opening Song)
It’s Midnight
If you talk in Your Sleep
If you Love Me (Let Me Know)
Promised Land
(All the above songs are from the Opening Show)
Early Morning Rain (29th August Dinner Show)

Performed for the final time:
Never Been To Spain
My Baby Left Me
(The two above songs are from the Opening Show)
Proud Mary (20th August Midnight Show)
Spanish Eyes (24th August Midnight Show)
If You Talk In Your Sleep (Closing Show)

Excerpts of Songs:
Higher and Higher (20th August Dinner Show)
Stop the World and Let Me off (21st August Midnight Show)
An Der Scohnen Blaue Donau (22nd August Midnight Show)
Guadalajara (25th August Midnight Show)
Polk Salad Annie (Closing Show)

Other Songs Performed:
Big Boss Man (as Opening Song once)
Let Me Be There
I'm Leavin'
Love Me Tender
Polk Salad Annie
Bridge over Troubled Water
Fever
Hound Dog
Can't Help Falling In Love (Closing Song)
See See Rider (as Opening Song all shows except one)
I Got a Woman-Amen
Love Me
Tryin' To Get To You
All Shook Up
You Gave Me a Mountain
Why Me Lord (With J.D. Sumner)
Teddy Bear-Don't Be Cruel
Hawaiian Wedding Song
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Heartbreak Hotel
Help Me
Hawaiian Wedding Song
It's Now or Never
The Wonder of You
Sweet Caroline
An American Trilogy
My Boy
How Great Thou Art
Until It's Time for You to Go
Suspicious Minds

Celebrities Introduced during this season:
Telly Savalas (Actor) (Opening Show)
A D.J (20th August Dinner Show)
Jackie Wilson (Singer) (20th August Dinner Show, 20th August Midnight Show)
Dobie Cannon (??)(20th August Midnight Show)
Lovelace Watkins (Singer) (21st August Midnight Show)
John O’Grady (Police officer) (22nd August Midnight Show, 1st September Midnight Show, 2nd September Dinner Show)
The Singing Orlando’s (Gospel Group) (22nd August Midnight Show)
John Phillips (Musician) (25th Red West (Friend) (27th August Midnight Show, 29th August Midnight Show)
Kang Rhee (Karate teacher) (27th August Midnight Show, 29th August Midnight Show, 30th August Dinner Show, 30th August Midnight Show)
Tom Jones (28th August Midnight Show)
Vicky Carr (Singer) (29th August Midnight Show, Closing Show)
Vernon Presley (Family member) (29th August Midnight Show, Closing Show)
Sheila Ryan (29th August Midnight Show)
Dean Nichopoulos (Friend) (29th August Midnight Show, 30th August Midnight Show)
Ed Parker (Karate Teacher) (30th August Dinner Show, 1st September Midnight show, 2nd September Dinner Show)
George White (Karate)
Red West (Friend)
Ronnie Tutt (Friend, Musician)
Sonny West (Friend)
Jerry Schilling (Friend)
(All the above from 1st September Midnight Show)
Bill Cosby (Comedian) (Closing Show)
Bill Porter (Sound Man) (Closing Show)
Colonel Parker (Manager) (Closing Show)

A highlight 2nd disc would be good but I much prefer a complete show.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Rock Legend wrote:I think that at this stage, those that want the complete shows, are primarily motivated by the fact that they want to own “everything” - rather than the listening experience. I really can’t bring myself to listen to complete shows anymore, and I know for a fact that quite a few of the people that still invest in the FTD soundboards don’t even bother listening to them anymore. Many of the shows are so predictable and uninspired, that today they serve as little more than sad reminders of all the lost opportunities of Presley’s last decade. The fact that he died a slow death performing all these mindnumblingly boring shows, doesn’t mean that we have to suffer the same fate LISTENING to them all. Besides, it would also go against Ernst’s philosophy of one show per tour or engagement – and he’s already released “It’s Midnight” (which I’ve played only once). Maybe he should consider ditching the opening show (which most people already have or can easily download), and instead opt for a good one-disc compilation à la “Southern Nights”, containing just the best moments from these shows. I’m sure there’s plenty of good performances and cool one-liners to make this a very worthwile release.
Sounds reasonable. I still think it makes sense to have the opening night performance available on FTD since it is such a well-known show. Just like then 1976 New Years Eve FTD release - while it had circulated for years underground, the magnitude of its importance within the scope of Elvis' live work from the 70's was worth officially documenting it on the collector's label. Nevertheless, a compilation of highlights from this Las Vegas engagement on disc 2 would be a welcomed addition.

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week

Post by Rock Legend »

I’m not too fond of the opening night show. On paper it looks like a great show – the setlist is unusual to say the least – but in reality it’s a very lackluster show with Elvis sounding tired, ill at ease and unfocused for the most part. Even on the bluesy stuff like “Down In The Alley”, traditionally always his forte, you can tell that he’s not really “into it” and that there’s no real groove to the music.

I have a gossip magazine clipping from the time criticizing this opening show, and there’s a quote from Elvis blaming it on a substantial weight loss in recent weeks.

Sure, you have to take a lot of the stuff that these magazines write with a grain of salt, but as we now know, they were often also surprisingly accurate.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Rock Legend wrote:I’m not too fond of the opening night show. On paper it looks like a great show – the setlist is unusual to say the least – but in reality it’s a very lackluster show with Elvis sounding tired, ill at ease and unfocused for the most part. Even on the bluesy stuff like “Down In The Alley”, traditionally always his forte, you can tell that he’s not really “into it” and that there’s no real groove to the music.
Agreed. Maybe there was more electricity in the showroom because the soundboard is somewhat dull and lifeless. Nevertheless, it is of interest to collectors simply because of the unique setlist - and because of the setlist, the show does stand out from the rest of the pack deeming it worthy of a FTD release.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

If so, it would be the second show of the season -- August 20, 1974 DS.

Now that would make for an interesting release:

CD 1 = Brand New Me ... August 19, 1974 OS
CD 2 = Abandoned Love ... August 20, 1974 DS

Elvis does a one-liner of "Higher and Higher" before introducing Wilson.

It's likely this was taken backstage that night , too ->

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Hopefully there are a few takes of "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" as bonus tracks on disc two.

drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:Hopefully there are a few takes of "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" as bonus tracks on disc two.
Funny, I always had you pegged as a "Softly As I Leave You" guy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:Hopefully there are a few takes of "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" as bonus tracks on disc two.
Funny, I always had you pegged as a "Softly As I Leave You" guy.
Yes, that wonderful duet with Nielson will always be very special.

drjohncarpenter

Presley made a real mistake using Neilsen on that tune -- J.D. would have made a greater impression.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Presley made a real mistake using Neilsen on that tune -- J.D. would have made a greater impression.
Agreed, JD never was in the spotlight enough.

drjohncarpenter

Not nearly enough!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by deadringer »

Rock Legend wrote:I think that at this stage, those that want the complete shows, are primarily motivated by the fact that they want to own “everything” - rather than the listening experience.

- which is quite normal in "die-hard fans world"

I really can’t bring myself to listen to complete shows anymore,

- sure ... I am skipping first 3 or 4 opening tracks for most of new shows I am getting, too.

and I know for a fact that quite a few of the people that still invest in the FTD soundboards don’t even bother listening to them anymore. Many of the shows are so predictable and uninspired, that today they serve as little more than sad reminders of all the lost opportunities of Presley’s last decade.

- still these shows are worth to listen, even if just once.

The fact that he died a slow death performing all these mindnumblingly boring shows, doesn’t mean that we have to suffer the same fate LISTENING to them all. Besides, it would also go against Ernst’s philosophy of one show per tour or engagement – and he’s already released “It’s Midnight” (which I’ve played only once). Maybe he should consider ditching the opening show (which most people already have or can easily download), and instead opt for a good one-disc compilation à la “Southern Nights”, containing just the best moments from these shows.

- personally, I will prefer just ONE MORE CD from Aug. 74, carefully selected COMPLETE SHOW (not 19.8.74 or 2.9.74 CS) + few bonus cuts and that's it. I will skip opening tracks,of course ;-)

I’m sure there’s plenty of good performances and cool one-liners to make this a very worthwile release.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Releasing MORE from this Engagement makes sence (as we already heard from Ernst that they just about have this whole season on 'soundboard') however its very difficult for Ernst to give us something 'new' without including the ledgendary opening 19.8.74 O/S.... i mean i would also welcome the 6.8.73 O/S as well for the similar reasons that some songs were both new and ONLY performed during this show.The next show AFTER the August 74' opening is again interesting (20.8.74 D/S)because of 1 liners, Jackie Wilson AND still some 'new' song in it.Therefore that would be a good bonus show.The problem with a 'southern nights' type compilation is that although it would no doubt please such critics as 'Rock Ledgend' because of missing out opening 3 songs, in itself some 'rare' songs have already been released from this season such as early morning rain or trying to get to you and thus how many unheard of other songs such as bridge over troubled water, an american trilogy or its midnight do we actually WANT to hear multiple version of?? I mean personally i'll enjoy whatever Ernst gives us but to compile 2 full discs would be a difficult task-especially as the original FTD 'Its Midnight' basically gave us an almost 'best of' at its release time!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

According to sources (new Darrin Lee book,the shattering...)the Sept 2nd dinner show was a cracker, with the midnight show being the show known as "Desert Storm"– how about the opening show plus the Sept 2nd dinner show?

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

As long as there are plenty of JD Sumner and Sherrill Nielsen highlights, FTD can release whatever they want from the engagement.

drjohncarpenter

a mess of polk salad wrote:According to sources (new Darrin Lee book,the shattering...)the Sept 2nd dinner show was a cracker ...
Did he tell another audience member f-you? Or is his version of "You Gave Me A Mountain" as "personal" as the one done later that night?

Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra
C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Until It's Time For You To Go
If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
It's Midnight
Big Boss Man
Fever
The Wonder Of You
Softly, As I Leave You
Hound Dog
You Gave Me A Mountain
O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never
If You Talk In Your Sleep
Why Me Lord?
Let Me Be There
How Great Thou Art
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Can't Help Falling In Love

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:According to sources (new Darrin Lee book,the shattering...)the Sept 2nd dinner show was a cracker ...
Did he tell another audience member f-you? Or is his version of "You Gave Me A Mountain" as "personal" as the one done later that night?
That F-Bomb is apparently being saved for the classic album reissue of "Having Fun With Elvis On Stage."