Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis '57 -> DJ Red Robinson Knows Handsome !

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:12 am

Reading through the essential Alan Hanson book Elvis '57 - The Final Fifties Tours, this quote stood out ->

... Presley's presence startled most who saw him close up at the press conference. Looking back over forty-five years later, Red Robinson confessed, "He was a very impressive guy and probably -- I know this probably sounds strange, but I'm going to say it anyway -- probably the handsomest man I ever saw in my life. I'd never seen anybody this handsome. It was unbelievable.

Now, where in the world did twenty year-old DJ Red Robinson come up with that?

DJ Red Robinson, Elvis, DJ Bruno Cimmoli - Vancouver, B.C. Saturday, August 31, 1957

Bitsy Mott (Presley bodyguard), DJ Red Robinson, Elvis, RCA Rep Mark Raines - Vancouver, B.C. Saturday, August 31, 1957
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis '57 -> DJ Red Robinson Knows Handsome !

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 am

He was just beautiful baby! They broke the mould when Elvis was born -- he was a one off, or UNIQUE!

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:51 am

Red was saying what most guys were thinking. He just had the guts to say it. It is interesting to see how many guys say something so similar to what Robinson said, and be apologetic about it.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:53 am

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

No, not a thing!

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 am

You know what would be the coolest is if someone could find the film for this press conference. match it up to the audio and you have an early Elvis interview on video. So far only one second of film has surfaced. Where is the rest?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:05 am

Jerry Reed once said to Elvis (circa 1967): "Damn, you the prettiest man I ever seen!"

Taken from an interview during the making of The Legend of a King

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 am

Red's a great guy.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:51 am

Didn't Mohamad Ali say Elvis was the "prettiest white boy" he'd ever seen.................Red is a great guy who I've known for years (since the early 60's) - he gave me the Aug.31st interview and live bits in 1970 on a reel to reel and from there it got on quite a few bootlegs! Red was the first guy who had the guts to say how good lookin' Elvis was!!! I'll tell you all - having seen Elvis live there isn't anyone I've ever seen who was as good looking and as charasmatic as Elvis...............to fans it was like God himself was in front of you.........a very special aura surrounded him...............different from anyone else who was around him or wherever.........very special..................

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:27 am

Barbie, being in B.C. you are in a wonderful position to research if the press conference film can be located. Someone there filmed it. I wonder if Red knows who? It would be well worth checking out.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:58 am

I'm not sure Elvis ever looked better than in 1957.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:32 am

He sang pretty well, too.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:25 pm

I have read this great book. I've always imagined Elvis was a great performer in 57 but WOW! This book helps bring his performances to life and it just confirms to me that Elvis in 57 was the greatest performer ever! Even his 70's performances don't come close and it saddens me that no show was filmed. The colonel is the one to blame for that!

Anyway, the book mentions that Elvis was filmed getting off the train at Spokane? and signing autographs. Anyone seen that?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:45 pm

garydt wrote:
Anyway, the book mentions that Elvis was filmed getting off the train at Spokane? and signing autographs. Anyone seen that?

Yes, I have it on one of my compilation documentary DVD's not sure which one

portland not spokane
phpBB [video]

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks alot for that. Elvis was all for them filming the show. If only they were allowed!

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 am

Well Red won't get an argument from me. Different time, different look I know but everytime I watch the Singer Special I wonder if there was a better looking man alive in '68. He wasn't too shabby in '57 either!

drjohncarpenter, thanks for revisiting this book. It's a beauty. IMO the interviews, reviews and letters to the press of the day still create excitement and really bring the era to life.

A quote that stood out for me:

"The evening had been an untrammeled success. We had seen a rock and roll star, and a car full of boys had honked at us as we walked home. We took it as a sign of validation. We had crossed a bridge, and left our childhoods behind."

Helen

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 am

aussierose wrote:Well Red won't get an argument from me. Different time, different look I know but everytime I watch the Singer Special I wonder if there was a better looking man alive in '68. He wasn't too shabby in '57 either!

drjohncarpenter, thanks for revisiting this book. It's a beauty. IMO the interviews, reviews and letters to the press of the day still create excitement and really bring the era to life.

A quote that stood out for me:

"The evening had been an untrammeled success. We had seen a rock and roll star, and a car full of boys had honked at us as we walked home. We took it as a sign of validation. We had crossed a bridge, and left our childhoods behind."

Helen

Helen -- thank you and welcome! Yes Elvis' appearance in June 1968 is almost otherworldly -- much like the music he made at that time.

Elvis '57 is not even a year old, and it already has a firm place in my top ten.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Image

Reading through the essential Alan Hanson book Elvis '57 - The Final Fifties Tours, this quote stood out ->

... Presley's presence startled most who saw him close up at the press conference. Looking back over forty-five years later, Red Robinson confessed, "He was a very impressive guy and probably -- I know this probably sounds strange, but I'm going to say it anyway -- probably the handsomest man I ever saw in my life. I'd never seen anybody this handsome. It was unbelievable.

Now, where in the world did twenty year-old DJ Red Robinson come up with that?

DJ Red Robinson, Elvis, DJ Bruno Cimmoli - Vancouver, B.C. Saturday, August 31, 1957

DJ Red Robinson, Elvis, RCA Rep Mark Raines - Vancouver, B.C. Saturday, August 31, 1957

To see these stunning photos now, is amazing, can you imagine what he did to the kids, especially the girls and women back then. He's the only male that I know who's looks get talked about with utter praise, by other men.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:18 pm

If Elvis was not uch a good looking man would he have been so famous and adored?

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:02 pm

kelvin wrote:If Elvis was not uch a good looking man would he have been so famous and adored?

Nope.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
kelvin wrote:If Elvis was not uch a good looking man would he have been so famous and adored?

Nope.

? Elvis Presley's voice ensured he would be very very famous indeed........ and eventually adored, because of it.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:42 pm

songboy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nope.

? Elvis Presley's voice ensured he would be very very famous indeed........ and eventually adored, because of it.

That is true. But no matter how much fame and adoration would have been heaped on him due to his talent, there would always be a little more due to his appearance.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
songboy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nope.

That is true. But no matter how much fame and adoration would have been heaped on him due to his talent, there would always be a little more due to his appearance.

http://disney

Quite a pedestrian observation.

Elvis's androgynous beauty had some of us guys gawking at photos of him and wondering why we were gawking, at a guy! :?

http://disney

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:08 pm

I think Jerry Reed said it best describing the first time he met Elvis " He was so good looking , I wish I could have been a girl for a day" .

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Elvis4ever wrote:I think Jerry Reed said it best describing the first time he met Elvis " He was so good looking , I wish I could have been a girl for a day" .

:lol: Had some of us as young men a little confused alright. For just a moment!

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:52 pm

songboy wrote:Had some of us as young men a little confused alright. For just a moment!

Phew! That's a relief.

-----

It's a shame Red Robinson apparently never taped the entire show -- it was one of the few dates where Elvis sang "Fool's Hall of Fame," the obscure 1957 Rudi Richardson SUN single. Live snippets from his reel-to-reel recorder slipped out on a bootleg LP about 30 years ago -- see * below.

Elvis only did about 60% of his set that night, due to a semi-riot by the Vancouver audience. Still, what a night it must have been!

Saturday, August 31, 1957 - Vancouver, B.C.
---
Heartbreak Hotel *
All Shook Up
I Was The One *
I Got A Woman *
That's When Your Heartaches Begin *
Fool's Hall Of Fame
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog