Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis - At Your Request

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 am

Can or could you rework the list to reflect an order of "bestness"?

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Can or could you rework the list to reflect an order of "bestness"?

Why?

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Can or could you rework the list to reflect an order of "bestness"?

Why?

Why not?

Seeing you kindly supplied your list of your favorite Elvis songs which would pretty well be very similar to anyone else undertaking the same exercise. It would be more interesting for you to rank them in order reflecting your taste. For example where would you place Suspicios Minds relatively to Hound Dog.

By the by, at the risk of being pedantic, I doubt that the 25 on the second disc would not fit on a single CD. The list would need culling.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Seeing you kindly supplied your list of your favorite Elvis songs ...

It's no such list. It's a track detail for a career-spanning compilation of Elvis Presley's best on two CDs.

The chronological order is intended and changing it destroys the concept.

KiwiAlan wrote:By the by, at the risk of being pedantic, I doubt that the 25 on the second disc would not fit on a single CD.

This does not make any sense.

If you are saying Disc 2 cannot hold the chosen selections, you are mistaken.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Seeing you kindly supplied your list of your favorite Elvis songs ...

It's no such list. It's a track detail for a career-spanning compilation of Elvis Presley's best on two CDs.

The chronological order is intended and changing it destroys the concept.

KiwiAlan wrote:By the by, at the risk of being pedantic, I doubt that the 25 on the second disc would not fit on a single CD.

This does not make any sense.

If you are saying Disc 2 cannot hold the chosen selections, you are mistaken.

you don't think Too Much was worthy?

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:24 am

Kylan wrote:you don't think Too Much was worthy?

"Love Me" from that session is superior.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

You forgot to add, 'IN YOUR OPINION'..........

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 am

ben wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, "Love Me" was superior.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:31 am

midnightx wrote:
ben wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, "Love Me" was superior.

'IN YOUR OPINION'..........

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am

I think this is a very strong selection overall.

Personally I would cut "I Got A Woman" (original: nobody beats Ray Charles at his own game), "I Beg Of You", "Is It So Strange", "Crawfish", "Surrender",
"Suspicion", "I Got A Woman" (live '69), "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" and
"It's Your Baby, You Rock It" from this list and replace them with these nine tracks:

Blue Moon
Treat Me Nice
Baby I Don't Care
Peace In The Valley
Are You Lonesome Tonight
Big Boss Man
How Great Thou Art
Stranger In My Own Home Town
Always On My Mind

But overall, your personal list is very representative of Elvis' best.
I particularly like the inclusion of seldom compilated gems like "Loving You", "Young and Beautiful", "Blue Christmas" and the very underrated "I've Got A Thing About You Baby", which I consider one of his very best 1970s tracks. A shame he didn't include this one in his concerts. :)

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:56 am

ben wrote:'IN YOUR OPINION'..........

Yes, and my opinion is well-reasoned and experienced.

And it just happens to mirror Elvis Presley's view. He did not address "Too Much" after 1957, as far as it is known.

He knew a little bit about music. Maybe.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:04 am

I don't know what this list proves, besides being another drive-by attack on the mid-late 70's Elvis and his fans.

For one thing, you know "Moody Blue" should be there. Also, where is "Viva Las Vegas", "I Need Somebody To Lean On", "Any Day Now", "Just Pretend", "You Gave Me A Mountain", "Steamroller Blues", "What Now My Love" and "An American Trilogy"? I don't consider the likes of "Crawfish" or "Memphis, Tennessee" better than those.

drjohncarpenter wrote:By popular demand, below is an attempt to distill the best of our hero on two listenable discs

The operative word is "attempt". And it is a good compilation, but by no means a fully balanced or immutable one.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:14 am

Cryogenic wrote:I don't know what this list proves, besides being another drive-by attack on the mid-late 70's Elvis and his fans.

For one thing, you know "Moody Blue" should be there. Also, where is "Viva Las Vegas", "I Need Somebody To Lean On", "Any Day Now", "Just Pretend", "You Gave Me A Mountain", "Steamroller Blues", "What Now My Love" and "An American Trilogy"? I don't consider the likes of "Crawfish" or "Memphis, Tennessee" better than those.

drjohncarpenter wrote:By popular demand, below is an attempt to distill the best of our hero on two listenable discs

The operative word is "attempt". And it is a good compilation, but by no means a fully balanced or immutable one.

Perhaps you are so over-protective and defensive about Elvis' work from 1973 - 1977 that you can't take this list for what it is. It is a fine list that highlights significant vocal and artistic achievements by our hero. Not that "What Now My Love" isn't a fine performance, but is it really a highlight? There is no need to jump to conclusions that this is somehow an attack on Elvis Presley simply because the Jungle Room Sessions isn't represented. Wake up.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:22 am

midnightx wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:I don't know what this list proves, besides being another drive-by attack on the mid-late 70's Elvis and his fans.

Perhaps you are so over-protective and defensive about Elvis' work from 1973 - 1977 that you can't take this list for what it is. It is a fine list that highlights significant vocal and artistic achievements by our hero. Not that "What Now My Love" isn't a fine performance, but is it really a highlight? There is no need to jump to conclusions that this is somehow an attack on Elvis Presley simply because the Jungle Room Sessions isn't represented. Wake up.

No ....... YOU "wake up".

drjohncarpenter wrote:There's only one area I was not able to include.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyone discern what one aspect of his musical legacy I could not fit?

In my book, this is known as BAITING.

It is an action commonly committed by those in contempt of a message board -- i.e. its community and its moderators.

But you're as rapacious as he is. I hope you haven't got wives; you've clearly married the wrong person.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:33 am

Let's not start arguing over a good positive subject.,
The Doc's list is fantastic. I could pick one which i think is better but then so could everyone else on this board as our opinions all differ.
BTW Doc, I meant T*R*O*U*B*L*E from '75, not the King Creole version, though I understand Promised Land was also a great representative of a 70s rocker.
I think Elvis' latter years were under-represented in your list and maybe Hurt or Unchained Melody could be added as representation of Elvis' bombastic final years.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:54 am

midnightx wrote:

Hey Pierre, why don't you let us see ur essential 2 disc set, id be curious.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:20 am

Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There's only one area I was not able to include.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyone discern what one aspect of his musical legacy I could not fit?

In my book, this is known as BAITING.

Then why bite if you believe this?

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:05 am

Interesting list. There are thousands of different ways one could compile a set like this relative to personal taste. I'd miss 'Anyway You Want Me' if I was listening to disc 1. I'd probably drop 'Is It So Strange' in it's favour.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:46 am

Great list. I'd have to include something from the September 1967 sessions though and I'd probably opt for Big Boss Man, which is one of his finest R&B performances.

To represent the '68 special, I'd have gone with one of the incredible versions of One Night from the sit down shows. As good as Elvis' opening performance is, the backing doesn't cut it IMO.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:55 am

Much as I agree with the Doc'CD's worth here , personally i'd be adding a 3rd CD with 'live' stuff like my boy, big boss man, hurt, unchained melody, T.R.O.U.B.L.E. to represent major achievements and reflection of his years AFTER 1973- which seem ignored(just as Graceland do) basically accepting that artistically Elvis died after Dec 1973 , which personally i disagree with.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:No "My Boy"? No thanks !

Sorry, that's not even the best of his 1973 masters.

Doc, c'mon, you know me better than that !

My intentional sarcasm got the best of ya ! :wink:

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:57 am

Thank you DOC for the list, great
It is very hard to pick the best songs on just 2 CDs
especially with Elvis he did so many great songs...
sincerely
Lior :smt006

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm

IN MY OPINION (only)

I think Moody Blue and/or Way Down should be included.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:

The Million Dollar Quartet?

Live in the '50's/ The '50's TV appearances

That's it! It was really depressing to leave these out.

Among those shortlisted were:

Money Honey 16-May-56
Hound Dog 15-Dec-56

But the live 1968 material is better.

I expect the sound quality of the 1950’s TV appearances would not have been consistent with the rest of the album. Great choices though and a great list overall. Thanks.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The included live 1970 recordings are superior to "I Just Can't Help Believin'.

I can't agree with that. Quality cuts indeed, but there's nothing on your list that captures what Elvis could do with a strong power ballad in Summer '70 - perhaps the apex of his performance career.

Jules