Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis - At Your Request

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:30 am

My brother-in-law (a casual Elvis listener) asked me to lend him an Elvis CD to play in the car, as he and my sister live 2 hours from here. I told him no way any of my CDs would get out of my room, so I would gladly make him a copy.
I was going to copy him something like "ELV1S" or "2nd To None" or a mix of both, but I think I'll give it a try with this... a different kind of compilation for sure.
Let's see if it works for him.
Thanks, John. :wink:
Last edited by JimmyCool on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 am

JimmyCool wrote:My brother-in-law (a casual Elvis listener) asked me to lend him an Elvis CD to play in the car, as he and my sister live 2 hours from here. I told him no way any of my CDs would get out of my room, so I would gladly make him a copy.
I was going to copy him something live "ELV1S" or "2nd To None" or a mix of both, but I think I'll give it a try with this... a different kind of compilation for sure.
Lets see if it works for him.

Please let us know what his thoughts are after he hears it. I always felt the Doc's proposed compilation was as good as anything ever presented for mainstream retail.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:40 pm

I would be interested to know if this list could/would be amended at all from its first appearance in 2008? (including updated sources for improved sound quality)
Just curious to know if Doc's opinion has changed at all in the past 4 years?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:22 am

My gosh, has it been 4 years already? Wow. I'll revisit the track list and let you know.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:44 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I would be interested to know if this list could/would be amended at all from its first appearance in 2008? (including updated sources for improved sound quality)
Just curious to know if Doc's opinion has changed at all in the past 4 years?

Yeah, me too.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 am

I love the list and I understand the Doc wanting to end the comp on an absolute high note with the spectacular, "Promised Land", but right now, I just can't seem to get enough of the awesome ,"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" and the superb, "Hurt" !

Oh gosh, what is one to do ?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:12 am

minkahed wrote:I love the list and I understand the Doc wanting to end the comp on an absolute high note with the spectacular, "Promised Land", but right now, I just can't seem to get enough of the awesome ,"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" and the superb, "Hurt" !

Stick with my list.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:I love the list and I understand the Doc wanting to end the comp on an absolute high note with the spectacular, "Promised Land", but right now, I just can't seem to get enough of the awesome ,"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" and the superb, "Hurt" !

Stick with my list.

I just ... I just ... can't Doc, I'm trying, but damn, "Moody Blue" has got such a fantatsic lil guitar lick from James and Ronnie's drums are just grooving, it all gels so wells ...

Oh, great here comes, "Danny Boy", talk about pedestrian material.

Ok, back to the list.
Last edited by minkahed on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:34 pm

midnightx wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:My brother-in-law (a casual Elvis listener) asked me to lend him an Elvis CD to play in the car, as he and my sister live 2 hours from here. I told him no way any of my CDs would get out of my room, so I would gladly make him a copy.
I was going to copy him something live "ELV1S" or "2nd To None" or a mix of both, but I think I'll give it a try with this... a different kind of compilation for sure.
Lets see if it works for him.

Please let us know what his thoughts are after he hears it. I always felt the Doc's proposed compilation was as good as anything ever presented for mainstream retail.

Do you think we could start a petition and get Sony to jump on this and release it ?

C'mon midnightx, ol buddy, ol pal, wha'd ya say ?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:By popular demand, below is an attempt to distill the best of our hero on two listenable discs, from the most up-to-date sources. There's only one area I was not able to include. Enjoy!

-----

AT YOUR REQUEST, VOLUME ONE
Musical highlights from Elvis Presley, in best-ever quality.

01. My Happiness 8.53 / take-home demo, SUN Studios, Memphis
02. That's All Right 7.54 / first single A-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
03. Blue Moon of Kentucky 7.54 / first single B-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
04. Good Rockin' Tonight 9.54 / single A-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
05. Baby, Let's Play House 2.55 / single A-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
06. Mystery Train 7.55 / single B-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
07. I Got A Woman 1.56 / first album, RCA Studios, Nashville
08. Heartbreak Hotel 1.56 / single A-side, RCA Studios, Nashville
09. Hound Dog 7.56 / single B-side, RCA Studios, New York
10. Don't Be Cruel 7.56 / single A-side, RCA Studios, New York
11. Love Me Tender 8.56 / single A-side, 20th Century Fox, Hollywood
12. Love Me 9.56 / second album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
13. All Shook Up 1.57 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
14. I Beg Of You 1.57 / unissued, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
15. Is It So Strange 1.57 / extended play, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
16. One Night 2.57 / 1958 single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
17. Loving You 2.57 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
18. When It Rains, It Really Pours 2.57 / unissued, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
19. Jailhouse Rock 4.57 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
20. Young and Beautiful 4.57 / extended play, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
21. Blue Christmas 9.57 / Christmas album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
22. Santa Claus Is Back In Town 9.57 / Christmas album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
23. Don't 9.57 / 1958 single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
24. Crawfish 1.58 / "King Creole" album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
25. King Creole 1.58 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
26. A Big Hunk O' Love 6.58 / 1959 single A-side, unedited, RCA Studio B, Nashville
27. Ain't That Loving You, Baby 6.58 / unissued, RCA Studio B, Nashville
28. I Got Stung 6.58 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
29. A Fool Such As I 6.58 / 1959 single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
30. Fame and Fortune 3.60 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
31. A Mess Of Blues 3.60 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
32. It Feels So Right 3.60 / "Elvis Is Back!" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville

AT YOUR REQUEST, VOLUME TWO
Musical highlights from Elvis Presley, in best-ever quality.

01. Such A Night 4.60 / "Elvis Is Back!" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
02. Reconsider Baby 4.60 / "Elvis Is Back!" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
03. Surrender 10.60 / single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
04. Crying In The Chapel 10.60 / 1965 single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
05. Can't Help Falling In Love 3.61 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
06. His Latest Flame 6.61 / single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
07. Little Sister 6.61 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
08. Suspicion 3.62 / "Pot Luck" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
09. Return To Sender 3.62 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
10. Memphis, Tennessee 1.64 / 1965 "Elvis For Everyone" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
11. If I Loved You 66-67 / unissued home demo, Los Angeles
12. Trouble/Guitar Man 6.68 / "TV Special" album, Western Recorders, Los Angeles
13. Tiger Man 6.68 / album track, NBC-TV Studios, Burbank
14. If I Can Dream 6.68 / unissued TV version, NBC-TV Studios, Burbank
15. In The Ghetto 1.69 / single A-side, American Sound, Memphis
16. Suspicious Minds 1.69 / single A-side, American Sound, Memphis
17. Kentucky Rain 2.69 / 1970 single A-side, American Sound, Memphis
18. I Got A Woman 8.69 / unissued, International Hotel, Las Vegas
19. Polk Salad Annie 2.70 / "On Stage" album, International Hotel, Las Vegas
20. Walk A Mile In My Shoes 2.70 / "On Stage" album, International Hotel, Las Vegas
21. It's Your Baby, You Rock It 6.70 / "Elvis Country" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
22. Merry Christmas Baby 5.71 / unedited single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
23. Burning Love 3.72 / single A-side, RCA Studio C, Los Angeles
24. I've Got A Thing About You Baby 7.73 / 1974 single A-side, Stax Studios, Memphis
25. Promised Land 12.73 / 1974 single A-side, Stax Studios, Memphis

A good selection of songs there, Doc. "Love Me Tender" is not really my cup of tea, never rated the song myself. But i can understand it being in the list...it is one of his memorable tunes, it's got one of those unforgettable melodies. I think there should be a Vol.3 & 4 too, he did so much great stuff!

While on this kind of subject, it would be a good idea for someone to put together the best of Elvis' movie songs. The reason being is because then, you wouldn't have to buy a sh*tty album of 13 songs just to have one good song the album may have. When you think about it, all his 60's movies are pretty much rubbish and the songs too, but each one did have the odd pretty ballad or fast tune. What do you think? Be great to have a CD of this!...

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:03 pm

So, c'mon Doc ...

Please give it a shot and give us a FINAL representation of what could possibly make a "third "At Your Request" Disc 3 ???

Some of the songs you said yourself that were shortlisted and/or almost made the cut , but was dropped, mainly due to time constraints.

C'mon, do it for your ole pal "minkahed"

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:39 pm

Doc, I would replace I Got A Woman with Shake, Rattle & Roll. Also, Is It So Strange with I Need You So. Great List !

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:16 pm

I missed the original intent of that list and i was in error. I thought the doc's list was meant to represent Elvis' career, but i see that the intention was to create a Best Of. And that is a different ballgame. Ah well, never to late i guess. I do hope i got it right this time.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:33 am

minkahed wrote:So, c'mon Doc ...

Please give it a shot and give us a FINAL representation of what could possibly make a "third "At Your Request" Disc 3 ???

Some of the songs you said yourself that were shortlisted and/or almost made the cut , but was dropped, mainly due to time constraints.

C'mon, do it for your ole pal "minkahed"

The self-imposed requirement was two CDs only. That's what made the task so challenging. I literally spent a few weeks adding and subtracting songs. Ultimately I liked how you could see how the teenager became the star, the star became the movie idol, the movie idol stumbled and got lost, the man returned, and the legend endured.

Lou Fanty wrote:Doc, I would replace I Got A Woman with Shake, Rattle & Roll. Also, Is It So Strange with I Need You So. Great List !

Those are wonderful recordings, but are neither as good nor as innovative as the selections I made. That's why they are not on there.

epf wrote:I missed the original intent of that list and i was in error. I thought the doc's list was meant to represent Elvis' career, but i see that the intention was to create a Best Of. And that is a different ballgame. Ah well, never to late i guess. I do hope i got it right this time.

Actually, in compiling Elvis' best work, which comes from 1954 to 1973, we do indeed have a career-spanning collection. It captures every phase of his career, save one ... which is why I just might ... might ... update the original post. Can you find what essential phase I omitted?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:23 pm

"Essential" is the clue.

Just erased my post. I was all wrong.

GOSPEL! You left it all out.

"Crying In The Chapel" was kinda pop.

rjm
P.S. -- I win. Now, how exactly do I find that awesome Basement Tapes bootleg? You know: Dylan. Complete. It's Christmas! ;)

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Actually, in compiling Elvis' best work, which comes from 1954 to 1973, we do indeed have a career-spanning collection. It captures every phase of his career, save one ... which is why I just might ... might ... update the original post. Can you find what essential phase I omitted?

I think you touched upon this in the original posting - the TV shows?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 pm

rjm wrote:"Essential" is the clue.

rjm
P.S. -- I win. Now, how exactly do I find that awesome Basement Tapes bootleg? You know: Dylan. Complete. It's Christmas! ;)

No offense, but if I know the Doc, and what he means by "Essential", then I'm going to have to say anything "Live" from the 1950's, television and/or the concert stage !

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:22 pm

DarrylMac wrote: ... No gospel Doc? ...

Yes, the Grammy winning version of How Great Thou Art (Live) from Memphis should be on such a set.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:34 am

minkahed wrote:
rjm wrote:"Essential" is the clue.

rjm

No offense, but if I know the Doc, and what he means by "Essential", then I'm going to have to say anything "Live" from the 1950's, television and/or the concert stage !

Good point, but much of such material needs to be seen as well as heard.

You can, but don't need to, see "Peace In The Valley."

At least one magestic and true gospel recording?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:I missed the original intent of that list and i was in error. I thought the doc's list was meant to represent Elvis' career, but i see that the intention was to create a Best Of. And that is a different ballgame. Ah well, never to late i guess. I do hope i got it right this time.

Actually, in compiling Elvis' best work, which comes from 1954 to 1973, we do indeed have a career-spanning collection. It captures every phase of his career, save one ... which is why I just might ... might ... update the original post. Can you find what essential phase I omitted?

1966-1967.