Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Tutt's status with TCB Band post June 1977

Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 am

Was he going to return anytime in the future or was he through for good once he left during Elvis' last tour June 24th I think it was ??

Re: Tutt's status with TCB Band post June 1977

Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:23 am

Elvis probably had a hard time telling Larry his job was temporary, so he suggested to use 2 drummers on stage!
Typical Elvis..

Ronnie was the drummer to be however.
Ronnie was on the plane to Portland.. and imo the better drummer, different story.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 am

Wasn't Ronnie's wife about to have another child given as the reason for his departure?

Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 am

Tony Trout wrote:Wasn't Ronnie's wife about to have another child given as the reason for his departure?

That was in Dec '75 -- he missed one show.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:18 am

IIRC, at the Madison concert Elvis mentioned that Ronnie "got sick."

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:Wasn't Ronnie's wife about to have another child given as the reason for his departure?

That was in Dec '75 -- he missed one show.

Ahhh...forgot 'bout that one.... :oops:

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:52 am

Robert wrote:Elvis probably had a hard time telling Larry his job was temporary, so he suggested to use 2 drummers on stage!
Typical Elvis..

Ronnie was on the plane to Portland.. and imo the better drummer, different story.

Thanks Robert, I had heard somewhere that he was through with the TCB Band, nice to hear he was coming back for that August tour that never was......after reading all what Elvis supposedly was saying that day before he died about the upcoming tour, stuff like this is going to be the best tour ever, makes you wonder what that would have been like.....

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:25 am

epfan4life wrote:
Robert wrote:Elvis probably had a hard time telling Larry his job was temporary, so he suggested to use 2 drummers on stage!
Typical Elvis..

Thanks Robert, I had heard somewhere that he was through with the TCB Band, nice to hear he was coming back for that August tour that never was......after reading all what Elvis supposedly was saying that day before he died about the upcoming tour, stuff like this is going to be the best tour ever, makes you wonder what that would have been like.....

Probably no different to his previous tours unless the audience either stopped coming to see him or booed him off stage, this was probably the only thing that could have woken him up at that time.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Speaking of drummers, i really like the drummer Elvis used in February 1970, Bob Lanning. To be honest i do like his drumming a tad better than Ronnie Tutt.

How did the drumming of Bob Lanning come about? Another series of auditions run by Elvis?

By the same account, is it safe to say that Elvis discovered Ronnie Tutt?

Going on here for awhile, why was Larry Muhoberac replaced? I really like him better than the the more Vegas prone Glenn Hardin. And where did Glenn come from? Again, another series of auditions? Or just connections from say James Burton, the band leader?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm

epf wrote:Speaking of drummers, i really like the drummer Elvis used in February 1970, Bob Lanning. To be honest i do like his drumming a tad better than Ronnie Tutt.

How did the drumming of Bob Lanning come about? Another series of auditions run by Elvis?

Going on here for awhile, why was Larry Muhoberac replaced? I really like him better than the the more Vegas prone Glenn Hardin. And where did Glenn come from? Again, another series of auditions? Or just connections from say James Burton, the band leader?

Bob Lanning, just 22 at the time, really rocked the band. No idea how he got the role -- EMM needs to find and interview him!

Tutt was updated too late to make the second Vegas engagement -- typical management shenanigans. Ronnie was a working drummer before Elvis, but got much more well-known by working with the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

Larry Muhoberac was not replaced, he left the band in 1969 to pursue other interests. Glen Hardin and James Burton worked together in Los Angeles, they were both members of the "Shindig" TV show house band in the mid-60s (the Shindogs), and it was likely Burton who tapped Hardin for the piano slot.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:Speaking of drummers, i really like the drummer Elvis used in February 1970, Bob Lanning. To be honest i do like his drumming a tad better than Ronnie Tutt.

Bob Lanning, just 22 at the time, really rocked the band. No idea how he got the role -- EMM needs to find and interview him!

Tutt was updated too late to make the second Vegas engagement -- typical management shenanigans. Ronnie was a working drummer before Elvis, but got much more well-known by working with the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

Larry Muhoberac was not replaced, he left the band in 1969 to pursue other interests. Glen Hardin and James Burton worked together in Los Angeles, they were both members of the "Shindig" TV show house band in the mid-60s (the Shindogs), and it was likely Burton who tapped Hardin for the piano slot.

Thanks doc for your wonderful reply. An interview with Lanning would be quite something. Especially if he was only 22 at the time, he really knew how to hit his kit. I just love his work with Elvis.

The Shindig part of your answer.... being from The Netherlands i don't recall this show ever being televised here. But maybe i am wrong. Thanks for filling me in!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

epf wrote:Thanks doc for your wonderful reply. An interview with Lanning would be quite something. Especially if he was only 22 at the time, he really knew how to hit his kit. I just love his work with Elvis.

The Shindig part of your answer.... being from The Netherlands i don't recall this show ever being televised here. But maybe i am wrong. Thanks for filling me in!

Bob was definitely 22 at the time of work with Elvis.

Here's info on the ABC-TV show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shindig!

Here are some Elvis-related examples of "Shindig!":

phpBB [video]

The Shindogs - "Ticket To Ride" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, May 26, 1965)
House band the Shindogs included Glen Hardin on keyboards and James Burton on lead guitar.
Check out Burton's Fender Telecaster!

phpBB [video]

Darlene Love, "Saved" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 8, 1965)

phpBB [video]

Darlene Love and the Blossoms, "Tell Him" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 30, 1964)

phpBB [video]

Darlene Love and the Blossoms, "You'll Never Get To Heaven" ("Shindig!" ABC-TV, September 23, 1964)

Pretty cool show. I'll bet Elvis watched it.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 pm

I have to declare my love for this forum today. Really informative stuff lately!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 pm

epf wrote:I have to declare my love for this forum today. Really informative stuff lately!

Today, tomorrow and forevvvvvver!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:I have to declare my love for this forum today. Really informative stuff lately!

Today, tomorrow and forevvvvvver!

Thanks doc, looking forward to the next piece of the puzzle.