Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Just got Paul Dowling's ALBUM COVER book

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I got "The Ultimate Album Cover Book" by Paul Dowling the other day. There are well over 200 covers in this book, and many of them are simply beautiful (especially some of the covers from the '50s and early '60s). I mean, RCA's artwork department in Chile and Italy must have worked overtime to come up with some of ther designs! Most of them bear no resemblance to the original versions. In fact, many of them don't even feature a photo of Elvis. There is also a Christmas LP from New Zeeland that is completely out of sight!

Dowling has written an introduction and there are short comments throughout the book but in general he lets the covers speak for themselves. Layout is simple and tasteful. The book is 100% color thoughout.

It's really cool to see how Elvis was promoted during the years. For example, in Mexico they made him look like a Mexican bad guy with black hair and darker skin! I recommend this book to everyone who is interested in Elvis' carreer. I am ALWAYS willing to learn more about his music and his carreer so this book is a welcome addition to my book collection.

Now, like I said, the book includes over 200 covers. But in the introduction, Dowling says he owns... wait for it... about 7000 records! And that was 12 years ago... Well I'll be damned! In the rare records thread, KempoDick said Dowling is working on a new book on this subject. Let's hope that this book sees a release someday.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Re: Just got Paul Dowling's ALBUM COVER book

Post by Little Darlin »

This sounds like my kind of Book. I love looking at Album Covers -- I've been fortunate enough to have had some sent to me -- there's some beauties there!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

By the way, if Dowling ever releases a follow-up to this book, I hope he excludes all albums post 1977. Later albums like "The Rocker" just don't have that magic about them. Hell, I think record covers in general lost their magic somewhere in the mid '70s. Most of them look pretty ugly and dull compared to records from the '50s and '60s.
Little Darlin wrote:This sounds like my kind of Book. I love looking at Album Covers -- I've been fortunate enough to have had some sent to me -- there's some beauties there!
You'd like it. You can take my word for it!

Keith Richards; Jr.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

I have a copy as well. Paul once joked that I was the one :) With all this recent talk about Paul, I must add how nice of a guy and accommodating he is. I was able to visit him in Florida about 5 or 6 years ago. It was great to hear his Elvis stories and we had even seen Elvis at the same time in Baltimore 1977. Great guy!

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

Did he say anything about a forthcoming book, Ricky? :wink:

And, more importanty, did you get see his 7000 Elvis records? He must have a pretty big house!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

I remember back in the late 80's, Paul was working on a book which would have had every single Elvis record in the world, listed with photos but he soon realised that the book would have been too expensive to have been published (think he mentioned that it might of actually consisted of 4 volumes).
It was a great idea but realistically, impossible to bring out.

The Album Cover book is a fantastic book and any books by Paul in the future regarding Elvis records would be thrilling to have.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Did he say anything about a forthcoming book, Ricky? :wink:

And, more importanty, did you get see his 7000 Elvis records? He must have a pretty big house!

Keith Richards, Jr.
Actually, it was more like a rented storefront that was not open to the public. It housed only the items advertised on his website. Like I said, I enjoyed the visit. I left believing this tanned, well built guy, who was driving a corvette was enjoying life on Siesta Key! (island). I should be so lucky!

wwelvis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by wwelvis »

I just saw the comments made about my book and I appreciate the nice words.

Actually, I never liked the title as the book contained pictures of singles and EP's as well as LP's. The one I wanted was "ELVIS: KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD" but I found out that the publisher has the final say on this plus on the cover which also was NOT my choice. And I nitially wrote some interesting things about EACH record but the publisher decided at the last minute that they just wanted photos. By the way, I DID put out a special booklet that was included with the KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD box set. I am enclosing a photo of some of the items in it. The booklet is the one with the black shirt pic. If anyone would like a copy of this I'd gladly send it to you for $5 + postage.

I get asked about doing a second edition and maybe someday I will but not right now.

Also, Bodie asked about the book that I started around 1990 - THE WORLDWIDE ELVIS PRESLEY RECORD DISCOGRAPHY! Believe it or not I still work on it just about everyday (it's maybe 4000 pages right now!) but I'll be honest to admit that it will probably never come out for many reasons, the main one being I'd need maybe six months or more of constantly working on it everyday to complete it and I just don't have the time.

Anyway, thanks again for the interest in the book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sheila
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by sheila »

wwelvis wrote:I just saw the comments made about my book and I appreciate the nice words.

Actually, I never liked the title as the book contained pictures of singles and EP's as well as LP's. The one I wanted was "ELVIS: KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD" but I found out that the publisher has the final say on this plus on the cover which also was NOT my choice. And I nitially wrote some interesting things about EACH record but the publisher decided at the last minute that they just wanted photos. By the way, I DID put out a special booklet that was included with the KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD box set. I am enclosing a photo of some of the items in it. The booklet is the one with the black shirt pic. If anyone would like a copy of this I'd gladly send it to you for $5 + postage.

I get asked about doing a second edition and maybe someday I will but not right now.

Also, Bodie asked about the book that I started around 1990 - THE WORLDWIDE ELVIS PRESLEY RECORD DISCOGRAPHY! Believe it or not I still work on it just about everyday (it's maybe 4000 pages right now!) but I'll be honest to admit that it will probably never come out for many reasons, the main one being I'd need maybe six months or more of constantly working on it everyday to complete it and I just don't have the time.

Anyway, thanks again for the interest in the book.
The price guide book you have in the picture...it is good prices on records or Jerry osborne's guide is better? Looking for price guides on records, cds and memoribila on Elvis.

Barry

Post by Barry »

I got this boxset many many years ago, at that time it included a phone card, a 1977 pocket calendar, the price guide booklet, the 45 Guitar Man with picture sleeve, the Elvis Medley cd, and of course the album cover book, and a certificate stating that only 500 box sets include all of these items, a great set to have.

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

wwelvis wrote:Actually, I never liked the title as the book contained pictures of singles and EP's as well as LP's. The one I wanted was "ELVIS: KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD" but I found out that the publisher has the final say on this plus on the cover which also was NOT my choice. And I nitially wrote some interesting things about EACH record but the publisher decided at the last minute that they just wanted photos.
Good to see you here on the board, Paul. That's too bad about the comments -- would have been interesting to learn more! At the same time, I'm more than happy with the book as it is. Like I said the design is excellent, and it's a true joy looking at these covers.
wwelvis wrote:Also, Bodie asked about the book that I started around 1990 - THE WORLDWIDE ELVIS PRESLEY RECORD DISCOGRAPHY! Believe it or not I still work on it just about everyday (it's maybe 4000 pages right now!) but I'll be honest to admit that it will probably never come out for many reasons, the main one being I'd need maybe six months or more of constantly working on it everyday to complete it and I just don't have the time.
4000 pages! I better start saving up some money! :shock: :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Deleted User 930

Post by Deleted User 930 »

Barry wrote:I got this boxset many many years ago, at that time it included a phone card, a 1977 pocket calendar, the price guide booklet, the 45 Guitar Man with picture sleeve, the Elvis Medley cd, and of course the album cover book, and a certificate stating that only 500 box sets include all of these items, a great set to have.
Mine had two 1976 pocket calenders plus the things you've mentioned.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

I hope this cover made it into the Book -- it's a work of Art

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Paul, I'll be taking you up on that booklet offer as I very much enjoyed this book when I found a copy just a few years ago. (Please put aside one for me and I'll contact you in the next two days).

I'm sorry to hear that your comments didn't make the cut as I agree that can make a huge difference. I rather like the inclusion of later Lps in the book.

It's a real beauty of a book and I have been surprised it's not mentioned more often. I think it's slipped by many people and it's worth picking up.

Another neat album cover book covering official and import titles and a joy to flip through (enough of the damned computer screen!) is out of the UK : David Parker's "ELVIS FOR EVERYONE- the Essential Guide to the Recorded Works of Elvis Presley" issued about five years ago and also mostly neglected.

It's a great book to have handy - be it as a wish-list or just as a neat book to have around and handy.

Both titles are beauties.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

Great comments as usual, Gregster.

I think I have just about every Elvis book I need now. I have Ernst Jorgensen's books. I have "Jailhouse Rock" (the bootleg book) and "The Concert Years 1969-1977". I have Dowling's book and an awful lot of Ger Rijff books. And of course, I have "Elvis, What Happened?". All in all about 20 books.

All I need now is "Florida Close-Up" and "Memphis Lonesome".

....and maybe "Elvis South-American Style". That seems to be a kind of brother to Dowling's book. I'd appreciate some comments on that book, too. I need to keep cool with my Elvis habit for a while, though. I have spent way too much dough on that guy (and music in general) recently. :smt018

Keith Richards, Jr.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I got "The Ultimate Album Cover Book" by Paul Dowling the other day. There are well over 200 covers in this book, and many of them are simply beautiful (especially some of the covers from the '50s and early '60s). I mean, RCA's artwork department in Chile and Italy must have worked overtime to come up with some of ther designs! Most of them bear no resemblance to the original versions. In fact, many of them don't even feature a photo of Elvis. There is also a Christmas LP from New Zeeland that is completely out of sight!

Dowling has written an introduction and there are short comments throughout the book but in general he lets the covers speak for themselves. Layout is simple and tasteful. The book is 100% color thoughout.

It's really cool to see how Elvis was promoted during the years. For example, in Mexico they made him look like a Mexican bad guy with black hair and darker skin! I recommend this book to everyone who is interested in Elvis' carreer. I am ALWAYS willing to learn more about his music and his carreer so this book is a welcome addition to my book collection.

Now, like I said, the book includes over 200 covers. But in the introduction, Dowling says he owns... wait for it... about 7000 records! And that was 12 years ago... Well I'll be damned! In the rare records thread, KempoDick said Dowling is working on a new book on this subject. Let's hope that this book sees a release someday.

Keith Richards, Jr.
I love it ! Also check out MY name on the creidits!! :mrgreen:

The Purple Gang
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by The Purple Gang »

Juan Luis wrote: I love it ! Also check out MY name on the creidits!! :mrgreen:
Ha ha, I've found you! Well done. :)

And well done wwelvis. I've enjoyed looking at your book many, many times. A shame the publisher didn't want to include all your comments. I'm sure it would only have improved what is already a very nice book. :D

No sig.

ric of greensboro
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ric of greensboro »

JUST TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT PAUL HE IS A FAN 1ST AND IT SHOWS ON HIS SITE OR JUST CALL HIM HE'S A GREAT GUY AND HAS ALOT OF MY MONEY AND I'M GLAD I GAVE IT TO HIM , RIC OF GREENSBORO
P,S. HE ALSO A BIG BRIAN WILSON FAN :P

wwelvis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by wwelvis »

Ric - You little devil! Now the world knows that I'm a HUGE Brian Wilson fan and have been since the beginning!

And yes....Don Juan IS in the credits of my book along with every girlfriend I could think of.

And it's amazing that, even after collecting since 1973, i'm STILL finding out new information on worldwide Elvis vinyl. There is no end! (Anyone have any Angolan releases????)

Deleted User 930

Post by Deleted User 930 »

wwelvis wrote:Anyone have any Angolan releases????
No records, but what about Miss Angola?? I'd love to have that in my collection!!

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Elvis “South American Style” by Carlos R. Ares is a nice companion to the Paul Dowling book. What I particularly like about this title is that along with the cover scans there are original RCA press advertisements, label scans, film posters, magazine covers and newspaper articles, making it a great book to thumb through from time to time if you are in the mood for some Presleyana.

There was also a neat little CD included with the book which included 5 tracks from (what at the time were) recent BMG releases in Argentina.

Another favourite of mine is the Swedish title “Kung Au Sverige” This is also in full colour and again in addition to the cover scans we get bubblegum cards, film posters, magazine covers, memorabilia, colour photos and articles on various aspects of the Presley career. The text is in Swedish, but with a cover mounted CD replica of the “Good Rockin’ Tonight” EP added for good measure I would recommend this to collectors worldwide.

“Elvis For Everyone” is in need of an update and this is something I would like to work on in the future. The original book was a CD discography which tried to acknowledge most of the original vinyl releases, but now that many of the mainstream releases are not representative of the original catalogue, I think the focus should switch to the current CD catalogue as this should prove more helpful to new collectors.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Paul has quite a few tales he could tell about his years collecting Elvis records. Few may be aware of the HUGE contribution he made for all Elvis fans in the 1976-1980 period.

I hope his book does well.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!