Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:01 am

Did you know Elvis met singer and hero Clyde McPhatter?

Image

Elvis, Clyde McPhatter - August 10, 1970, Las Vegas, NV

---

How cool is that?

Clyde was a HUGE influence on Elvis, his lead vocal on the 1953 Drifters #1 R&B recording of "Money Honey" is but one example.

He had recently returned from exile in the U.K., cutting a comeback LP called Welcome Home (Decca, 1970).

Image

It was not a success. Sadly, McPhatter died just two years later, a heart attack taking him at the age of 39. As time has passed, his beautiful, unique voice has been acknowledged, and in 1987 was one of the first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Learn about this man's influential work by clicking this link ->

The Great Clyde McPhatter
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 am

Thanks Doc - a link worth checking out music lovers 8)

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:41 am

Nice work Detective!

That Blog is a great find -- click on the blue song sample links folks -- they are safe -- I've listened to several this morning.

Thanks!

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks for the pic Doc! Clyde McPhatter, Elvis certainly had great taste in music, especially as young man.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:06 pm

thanx to show interest, "doc", but why are you so sure, it s clyde ?
maybe if someone had another picture of clyde in his final years, we could compare 8)

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:58 pm

tcb4 wrote:thanx to show interest, "doc", but why are you so sure, it s clyde ?
maybe if someone had another picture of clyde in his final years, we could compare 8)


That is Clyde, without a doubt.

Proberly the most under-rated vocalist of the 50's.Never got the respect he deserved.

Elvis once said about Clyde 'If i had a voice like that, i wouldnt want anything else in the world'.

Never seen that photo before Doc, a great find.Thanks.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:06 am

tcb4 wrote:thanx to show interest, "doc", but why are you so sure, it s clyde ?
maybe if someone had another picture of clyde in his final years, we could compare 8)

Why? Because, as a rock scholar, I am quite good at such observations.

You also overlook the extremely large LP cover shot of Welcome Home, which features a photo taken within six (6) months of that backstage meeting in Las Vegas with Elvis.

For those who don't know, below are Clyde's greatest (Elvis) hits.

Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters
Money Honey - Atlantic 1006, 1953 *
Such A Night - Atlantic 1019, 1954
White Christmas - Atlantic 1048, 1954**

* #1 on the R&B charts for eleven (11) weeks!
** this also charted in December of 1955 and 1956

Clyde McPhatter
Without Love (There Is Nothing) - Atlantic 1117, 1957
Come What May - Atlantic 1185 - 1958

All of these are superb performances, and deserve a place in every serious collection.

Elvis clearly loved Clyde very, very much.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:21 pm

everybody seems agree it s Clyde McPhatter so congrats to the "doc" :smt006

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:27 pm

It's easy, all you have to do is ...

Trust the doc!

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:09 am

Image
Rare picture Doc, thanks for posting along with the information.

PEP 8)

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Doc,
you missed Fools Fall in Love (1957).

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:09 am

tigerman65 wrote:Doc,
you missed Fools Fall in Love (1957).

No, I did not.

The lead vocalist is Johnny Moore, not Clyde McPhatter. Clyde left the Drifters in 1955, and got drafted in 1956.

Ben E. King also handled lead vocals in the same manner for the group, such as on the 1959 #1, "There Goes My Baby."

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:43 pm

I stand corrected.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 am

tigerman65 wrote:I stand corrected.

Trust the doc!

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Are you sure this is Clyde???
I will check his bio book when I'm back at home, but I would swear he looked different by 1970

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Crotona62 wrote:Are you sure this is Clyde???
I will check his bio book when I'm back at home, but I would swear he looked different by 1970

There is a 1970 album cover in my post above. Take another peek.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Did you know Elvis met singer and hero Clyde McPhatter?

Image

Elvis, Clyde McPhatter - August 10, 1970, Las Vegas, NV

---

How cool is that?

Clyde was a HUGE influence on Elvis, his lead vocal on the 1953 Drifters #1 R&B recording of "Money Honey" is but one example.

He had recently returned from exile in the U.K., cutting a comeback LP called Welcome Home (Decca, 1970).

Image

It was not a success. Sadly, McPhatter died just two years later, a heart attack taking him at the age of 39. As time has passed, his beautiful, unique voice has been acknowledged, and in 1987 was one of the first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Learn about this man's influential work by clicking this link ->

[url=http://worldjournal-gs.blogspot.com/2007/10/great-clyde-mcphatter.html]The Great Clyde
McPhatter[/url]


Thanks Doc! Great stuff.
::rocks

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Hate to spoil the party but that's not Clyde McPhatter. He may look a little like Clyde, and we know how much Elvis was influenced by him, but that's no reason to assume that it's Clyde in the picture. I've been a Clyde McPhatter fan all my life and would love to think that he and Elvis met, but believe me, that's not Clyde in that picture. If they had met don't you think it would have been documented somewhere? It isn't, so until there's some genuine proof I'll just keep hoping.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Chris Black wrote:Hate to spoil the party but that's not Clyde McPhatter ... I've been a Clyde McPhatter fan all my life and would love to think that he and Elvis met, but believe me, that's not Clyde in that picture. If they had met don't you think it would have been documented somewhere?


Like the meetings between Elvis and his other singing idols like Jackie Wilson and Roy Hamilton, you mean?

I trust The Doc on this one!

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Chris Black wrote:Hate to spoil the party but that's not Clyde McPhatter. He may look a little like Clyde, and we know how much Elvis was influenced by him, but that's no reason to assume that it's Clyde in the picture. I've been a Clyde McPhatter fan all my life and would love to think that he and Elvis met, but believe me, that's not Clyde in that picture. If they had met don't you think it would have been documented somewhere? It isn't, so until there's some genuine proof I'll just keep hoping.


I think you're right Chris, I can't see the resemblance at all.

Clyde master.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Can't exactly see your point here, Cryogenic. Elvis' meetings with Jackie Wilson and Roy Hamilton ARE documented. Nowhere is there any proof that he met Clyde McPhatter. A blurry screengrab of Elvis with someone who looks a little like Clyde did circa 1970 isn't evidence in my book. Though it is, of course, if you want to believe and aren't prepared to dig deeper. I was in contact with Clyde's wife many years ago and one of the things we discussed was Elvis' love of Clyde's singing. She never once mentioned that the two had met. Don't you think she would have mentioned it when we were discussing that very topic? She told me Clyde enjoyed Elvis' singing too and that he was humbled that Elvis was a fan. She specifically pointed out 'In The Ghetto' as being one of Clyde's favourite Elvis songs.

Believe the Doc if you want, but that ain't Clyde. Wish it was, but it's not.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:30 pm

I trust The Doc on this one!

I do too.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Chris Black wrote:Can't exactly see your point here, Cryogenic. Elvis' meetings with Jackie Wilson and Roy Hamilton ARE documented. Nowhere is there any proof that he met Clyde McPhatter. A blurry screengrab of Elvis with someone who looks a little like Clyde did circa 1970 isn't evidence in my book. Though it is, of course, if you want to believe and aren't prepared to dig deeper. I was in contact with Clyde's wife many years ago and one of the things we discussed was Elvis' love of Clyde's singing. She never once mentioned that the two had met. Don't you think she would have mentioned it when we were discussing that very topic? She told me Clyde enjoyed Elvis' singing too and that he was humbled that Elvis was a fan. She specifically pointed out 'In The Ghetto' as being one of Clyde's favourite Elvis songs.

Believe the Doc if you want, but that ain't Clyde. Wish it was, but it's not.



Why would Elvis be smiling like he is and Clyde also? Its got to be Clyde.

Proberly cause its not documented is that around 1970, Clyde was not known by many people and the brief meeting went unnoticed.

The photo and the date looks to indicate that Clyde was at the after-show party.

Clyde spent time in England moving there in '68 and returning back to the US in the early part of 1970.

Around that time his album 'Welcome Back' was released so it makes sense if he is seen with celebs like Elvis.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:31 am

Its got to be Clyde.

Very strong evidence.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:42 am

Chris Black wrote:Hate to spoil the party but that's not Clyde McPhatter. He may look a little like Clyde, and we know how much Elvis was influenced by him, but that's no reason to assume that it's Clyde in the picture. I've been a Clyde McPhatter fan all my life and would love to think that he and Elvis met, but believe me, that's not Clyde in that picture. If they had met don't you think it would have been documented somewhere? It isn't, so until there's some genuine proof I'll just keep hoping.


You want genuine proof?

Try looking at the photo more carefully.
Its Clyde.