Jim

Re: new venue page added - The Fox Theater - Detroit

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 am

Thanks, James

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:33 am

Hi Jim
Very interesting, as always.
In the excellent book by Robert Gordon called The King on the Road there's this photo of what they identify as the Fox Theater in Detroit. Your new page shows they are wrong and I see from your venues section that you have already included it and it's actually the Fox Theater in Atlanta, Georgia. Here's the photo because I notice you don't have it on your page for that particular venue:
Elvis - Fox Theater Atlanta.jpg

That date should now read either 14 or 15 March 1956 (Elvis did a two-nighter there).
In the same book is a double-page spread of the same venue at the same time. It's a very evocative photo of the front of the theater from across the street showing a group of teenagers waiting outside, and also displays various Elvis promotional boards etc. Have you seen it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Purplegang,
Thanks, No i hadn't seen that photo or the book. You're right though, that picture is miscaptioned and should read The Fox in Atlanta. Cool shot though. That ad insert though is correct I believe for the Fox in Detroit and is quite likely the very same one I used on the page about Detroit that someone gave me. It probably ultimately came from that book so I will credit it that way.
Thanks.
Jim

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Fantastic work as always, James..... :smt023

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Awesome James, thanks. I've been their before, years ago with my kids to see the BackStreet Boys.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Whenever a new venue is added I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page first to find out if the building is still standing otherwise it's quite sad to read all the history only to find the place has been demolished. :(

Luckily, the story of the Fox Theater in Detroit has a happy ending. :D

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:40 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:Whenever a new venue is added I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page first to find out if the building is still standing otherwise it's quite sad to read all the history only to find the place has been demolished. :(

Luckily, the story of the Fox Theater in Detroit has a happy ending. :D

I know, I should indicate that in the post or thread title when I put them up (if/when I ever do anymore)

I found that book by Gordon on Amazon used for about $8 so I oredered it. Thanks for the tip. I added that photo to the Atlanta page too.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 pm

JamesVRoy wrote: I found that book by Gordon on Amazon used for about $8 so I oredered it.

That's good. I'm sure you'll like it.
Although some of the photos are quite familiar now it's the one general book about Elvis that I probably look at the most.
I believe it was first printed in 1996 but re-issued a couple of years ago (with slightly thinner paper).

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:47 pm

You have outdone yourself. Marvelous work indeed.

If you ever publish these pages in book form, I will buy it.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks. Yeah a lot of people have asked about that and suggested it, even Gail and Scotty but I don't really have plans for something like that or even think it would ever be able to get past the copyright issues.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:33 pm

I know this is reviving a really old thread,but being from Detroit,I found it interesting. The Fox has been remodeled and is back in business after falling into disarray.

Another thing,on the sign advertising Elvis coming to the Fox in "56,it says "the King is coming" I never realized Elvis was called the "King of Rockn Roll" that early in his career.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:06 pm

vbgt wrote:I know this is reviving a really old thread,but being from Detroit,I found it interesting. The Fox has been remodeled and is back in business after falling into disarray.

Another thing,on the sign advertising Elvis coming to the Fox in "56,it says "the King is coming" I never realized Elvis was called the "King of Rockn Roll" that early in his career.

Great place to see a concert!