Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Brian_Svoboda
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Sun bootleg 45 query

Post by Brian_Svoboda »

Three bootleg 45 RPM records have hit my transom. Each has a mock Sun label. Each is in a different picture sleeve. The front shows the title, track list and a period photo circa 1954-56. The back presents the title, tracklist, text of the original Billboard reviews of the five original Sun singles, and has text at the bottom reading, "Product of Sun Records Co. Inc. * Memphis, Tenn."

* The first single, "That's All Right," has a blue sleeve and the catalog number EP-100. Side A has "That's All Right" and "Harbor Lights." Side B has "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and "I Don't Care If the Sun Don't Shine."

* The second single, "Good Rockin Tonight," has a red sleeve and the catalog number EP-101. Side A has "Good Rockin' Tonight" and "Milkcow Blues Boogie." Side B has "My Baby's Gone" and "I'm Left You're Right She's Gone."

* The third single, "Baby Let's Play House," has a yellow sleeve and the catalog number EP-102. Side A has "Baby Let's Play House" and "You're a Heartbreaker." Side B has "Mystery Train" and "I Forgot to Remember to Forget."

Does anybody know what these are? More importantly, does anybody know the source of the music on them? Are the officially released tracks dubbed from original Sun 78s or 45s?

Any insight on these would be most welcome. Thanks!

=B.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Sun bootleg 45 query

Post by ekenee »

I used to own this set of EP's til I sold them last year. They are counterfiets. They were made in the late 70's I believe, and I recall them being made from original mint Sun 45's or 78's. Kind of rare since not many were probably produced, and are somewhat collectible in their own right. A more collectible item is the colored vinyl Sun 45 counterfiets.

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvislennon »

Depends on what 45s are you talking about. There is so many of them out there and made at different times it is hard to tell which one you are talking about. Some of the first ones are from the 70s. Some was made in the 80s all the way up to 2002. So please provide a cover of which one you are talking about....... :roll: :shock:

Oh if they don't say RCA/SUN/BMG on them then they are counterfeits.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

elvislennon wrote:Depends on what 45s are you talking about. There is so many of them out there and made at different times it is hard to tell which one you are talking about. Some of the first ones are from the 70s. Some was made in the 80s all the way up to 2002. So please provide a cover of which one you are talking about....... :roll: :shock:

Actually it depends on a few things. A counterfiet is an exact copy. A bootleg is something totally different.
There are dozens of variants as you say, but the poster is speaking of a specific set. No cover posting is needed.
These are EP's but not true counterfiets as you say because even though the Sun label is copied, there was never Sun EP's released.

Topic author
Brian_Svoboda
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Brian_Svoboda »

ekenee wrote:
elvislennon wrote:Depends on what 45s are you talking about. There is so many of them out there and made at different times it is hard to tell which one you are talking about. Some of the first ones are from the 70s. Some was made in the 80s all the way up to 2002. So please provide a cover of which one you are talking about....... :roll: :shock:

Actually it depends on a few things. A counterfiet is an exact copy. A bootleg is something totally different.
There are dozens of variants as you say, but the poster is speaking of a specific set. No cover posting is needed.
These are EP's but not true counterfiets as you say because even though the Sun label is copied, there was never Sun EP's released.
Thanks for the replies so far. I used the word "bootleg" advisedly, because the singles had at least some material that was officially unreleased at the time ("My Baby's Gone," and "Harbor Lights," depending on when they were released).

I would be interested to know which counterfeit Sun 45s are the "good" ones, and which are the bad ones? Which ones are dubbed from original Sun records? Which ones are dubbed from RCA releases that are drenched in fake reverb?

In that vein, I played a game with my children the other day, which I called "How Big a Cave?" I played them different versions of "That's All Right." The responses:

* Memphis Recording Service 45 RPM repress: "No cave. Lot of crackles, but no cave."

* Bear Family "Complete Sun Singles": "Little cave."

* RCA France "Good Rockin' Tonight" (130.252): "Medium cave ... little cave."

* RCA U.S. "The Sun Sessions" LP: "Big cave!" (Much laughter.)

=B.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Lets put it this way, they were unauthorized. The very collectible colored vinyl set I never could find it was so rare. So I can't comment on the sound of that one.

When Ernst comes out with his Sun Box set there should be no cave, or the size of cave that originated with the song.
I will say this, those gold standard RCA 45's had little cave.