Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Re: TCB band members & Elvis?

Post by midnightx »

seattlesusieq wrote:
midnightx wrote:
seattlesusieq wrote:
Jadwin wrote: I think Jerry only played with the Doors on the L.A. Woman sessions in late 1970, well after he started playing with Elvis in july/august 1969.

Jerry told me that the Doors didn't have a regular bass player at the time he recorded "L.A. Woman" with them. They liked him and asked him to join them on the upcoming tour and he said yes. And then Jim Morrison died, so, no tour.
That has never been referenced anywhere. Jerry did the LA Woman session. The Doors had no intention of touring behind the album - at least around time of the album's release. Morrison was found guilty of a felony in Miami and if he lost his appeal, would have ultimately served time in Prison. During the fall of 1970, the band did perform some of the LA Woman material on tour, but the tour was cancelled after a few shows and the band would never perform again with Morrison. In the spring of 1970, Morrison took off to Paris and was uncertain of his future plans. The band had fulfilled their contract with Elektra and was shopping for a new deal. The band also knew there was a chance Morrison would not return either from Paris or to the band as their vocalist (during this time they started some auditions for a replacement in addition to working on material much of what ended up on the brutal Other Voices album). So, if Jerry claims he was asked, it could not have been anything more than an idea and a loose, unofficial remark by someone in the band. There is no way it was an official offer since no tour plans were in the pipeline and the band's future was up in the air even prior to Morrison's passing.
You could be correct. I'm just reporting what Jerry told me and what is on his website. This is cut and pasted from http://www.jerryscheff.com/:
Right about this time I got a call to do an album with "The Doors." We spent six weeks in the studio recording "L.A. Woman" Which turned out to be their last album. They had always used keyboard bass live, after we finished LA Woman I was approached about joining the group. Jim Morrison went to Paris and died. One of those things!
Nothing credible has ever been mentioned anywhere that Jerry was approached to join the band. Perhaps they wanted to experiment with a bassist on stage (which they ultimately did when they carried on as a trio) and Jerry's name came up, but it sounds more like Jerry not remembering the details. It is very common with aging musicians. Think about how many guys claim that they were approached to be in Jimi Hendrix's new band and then he died before anything could happen....

Also, The Doors spent more than six weeks recording LA Woman - Jerry wasn't there the whole time and either was Marc Benno (who also played guitar on the album). The Doors brought in session bass players to play on sessions for all their albums - Jerry happened to be the guy for LA Woman.

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Elton »

think Ronnie mentioned once in an interview that the two songs he hated performing most with Elvis were "Suspicious Minds" and "Polk Salad Annie".

I recall something alone him saying the same thing,but i don't think it was because of the EXTRA work,per say..but more alone the lines of having to play these tunes over and over and over!!

Let's face, the TCB Band had the best lead singer in town!

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

:D
Last edited by Steve_M on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by DarrylMac »

think Ronnie mentioned once in an interview that the two songs he hated performing most with Elvis were "Suspicious Minds" and "Polk Salad Annie".
No, what Ronnie said was that they were 2 songs that became parodies of what they originally were. He had no issue with them in the early days, but he didn't care much for them in the later years.
But for Elvis he picked July 31st 1969 as the best show Elvis-wise. That's awful from his perspective, to think it never got better after that.
Jerry caters to the Elvis fan by trying to define two answers to a question where Elvis could be relevant and also giving a non-Elvis answer.
I recently asked him 3 questions, one was what made him go with Ben on the ice cream thing and the other two were, which show do you find the most memorable from your point of view and which song did you most enjoy playing from a bass guitarists point iof view.
The shows were the Wembley 1978 show alongside Eric Clapton and for Elvis it was July 31st 1969. The song he most enjoyed was Polk Salad Annie (bit of contrast in taste going on on stage with Ronnie there.)

But for Elvis he picked July 31st 1969 as the best show Elvis-wise. That's awful from his perspective, to think it never got better after that.
Steve, it depends on why he picked 31st July. I wouldn't think he thought that show was technically the best they gave, but he might have picked it for the emotion, and electricity of it having been Elvis' first show in a number of years. I'm sure Elvis thought, correctly in my opinion, that his shows improved after 1969. I much prefer the 1970 shows to 69 - better set lists, less rushed sounding, more polished. I think it's only after 72 that there was any noticeable decline in the quality of SOME of Elvis shows, but by no means all.