Re: msg 72

Post by Rob »

When can I expect it?

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rob wrote:When can I expect it?
You hear that whooshing sound? There you go.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Rob

Post by Rob »

That was low -- even for you.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Looks like you need to leave the kitchen. I thought you were better than that.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Talk about "whooshing" sounds -- you missed that last one by a mile.

Whoosh!

I thought you were better than that.
Last edited by Rob on Wed May 28, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

The Doc's reaching new lows every day this past couple of weeks.

Of course, his lows are still higher than most peoples peaks :roll: (in his mind at least !!)

kuenzer
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kuenzer »

:smt015

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

kuenzer wrote::smt015
Wake up man !!!!

kuenzer
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kuenzer »

BIGREDG wrote:
kuenzer wrote: :smt015
Wake up man !!!!
... yawn ... good morning. Whoa ... seems I missed the whole discussion. What was it about?

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

kuenzer wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:
kuenzer wrote: :smt015
Wake up man !!!!
... yawn ... good morning. Whoa ... seems I missed the whole discussion. What was it about?
Not a lot - back to sleep :smt002

javilu
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by javilu »

When I go to a concert I want to hear the artist's songs which I heard and love in the studio albums.
If I go to a McCartney, Elton John, Deep Purple, Guns n' Roses etc concert, I want to hear THEIR songs (wether they wrote them or not). That's why I think I would have been a little dissapointed if I went to an Elvis show and found that it lasted for less than 60 minutes and half the songs were never studio releases for Elvis. I mean, it's not like he didn't have hits, right?
And I suppose that after hearing Elvis albums and watching some of his movies it probably was kind of a shock to George Harrison watching Elvis in a glossy jumpsuit with a big fat orchestra, Tom Jones type arrangements, singing stuff like "Never been to Spain" and singing 1 minute versions of the oldies.
Of course it would get so much worst in years to come with an unfocused Elvis and 20 minutes of band introductions and solos, but I can see how some could have felt a little dissapointed with the Elvis show, not because of Elvis but the show itself.

Regards

Javier

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

Rob

Post by Rob »

javilu wrote:I suppose that after hearing Elvis albums and watching some of his movies it probably was kind of a shock to George Harrison watching Elvis in a glossy jumpsuit
I agree. If I had attended those 1972 concerts after watching "Kissin' Cousins" or "Fun In Acapulco," I would expect to see Elvis hit the stage sporting that blonde wig and leotards.

It's a damn shame that he would appear on stage in New York wearing that jumpsuit and cape.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

javilu wrote:When I go to a concert I want to hear the artist's songs which I heard and love in the studio albums.
If I go to a McCartney, Elton John, Deep Purple, Guns n' Roses etc concert, I want to hear THEIR songs (wether they wrote them or not). That's why I think I would have been a little dissapointed if I went to an Elvis show and found that it lasted for less than 60 minutes and half the songs were never studio releases for Elvis. I mean, it's not like he didn't have hits, right?
And I suppose that after hearing Elvis albums and watching some of his movies it probably was kind of a shock to George Harrison watching Elvis in a glossy jumpsuit with a big fat orchestra, Tom Jones type arrangements, singing stuff like "Never been to Spain" and singing 1 minute versions of the oldies.
Of course it would get so much worst in years to come with an unfocused Elvis and 20 minutes of band introductions and solos, but I can see how some could have felt a little dissapointed with the Elvis show, not because of Elvis but the show itself.

Regards

Javier
One hour concerts were the norm in the early seventies.

Steve1971

Post by Steve1971 »

All I am gonna say is "An Afternoon In The Garden" is a classic and one of the best sounding cd's put out by BMG.

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Steve, it is a good one for sure.

To me, it captures the sounds and feeling of actually being there.... the crowd, the feedback at the end of 2001, the way the sound isn't as "separated" as most releases. It just really takes me back to how things actually sounded when you were in the audience

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

The MSG show was full of Elvis hits- "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" (two years from the Top Ten or near top ten), "Heartbreak Hotel", "Love Me Tender", "All Shook Up", "Can't Help Falling in Love", "Love Me", "Suspicious Minds", "Teddy Bear"/"Don't Be Cruel", "Hound Dog", "That's All Right (Mama)" (not a hit but a song associated with Elvis). Also amongst Elvis aficionados, "Polk Salad Annie" was very much associated with Elvis having been featured on a million selling album and featured in a Presley documentary. That's half the show. And while the tempos were fast and some oldies were melded into melodies, it's not as if they were much longer in their original versions.

I think the show had a terrific set list a nice balance between old hits and contemporary work. Also a balance between legitimate musical expression and crowd pleasing. "Never Been to Spain", with its abstract and philosophical lyrics, was a great choice for Elvis and he tears into it. If another artist had included a recent Top Ten in his act, he/she would receive nods of approval for remaining contemporary. "I Can't Stop Loving You" at the evening show was absolutely amazing.

Dressing like a slob does not connote any kind of artistic authenticity. I don't know how or why that idea gained credence. Jagger didn't wear the diamonds but he often donned jump suit type outfits during this era. I have a Look magazine featuring Jagger in an outfit similar to the ones that Elvis was wearing in 1970. The outfits, at this stage, made perfect sense for Elvis as he wanted to give the audience a striking visual. What's more Elvis couldn't wear a tuxedo like Sinatra and Tony Bennett. This was a bit of flair. Clearly acts like the Who, with their smashed instruments, understood the value of showmanship. Elvis chose to express it partly with his clothes. It was him, just like the open shirt and jeans was Roger Daltrey.

The shows at the Garden ranged from 55 to 73 minutes. Pretty standard for the era as stated before.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Kris P wrote:
likethebike wrote:The MSG show was full of Elvis hits- "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" (two years from the Top Ten or near top ten), "Heartbreak Hotel", "Love Me Tender", "All Shook Up", "Can't Help Falling in Love", "Love Me", "Suspicious Minds", "Teddy Bear"/"Don't Be Cruel", "Hound Dog", "That's All Right (Mama)" (not a hit but a song associated with Elvis). Also amongst Elvis aficionados, "Polk Salad Annie" was very much associated with Elvis having been featured on a million selling album and featured in a Presley documentary. That's half the show. And while the tempos were fast and some oldies were melded into melodies, it's not as if they were much longer in their original versions.

I think the show had a terrific set list a nice balance between old hits and contemporary work. Also a balance between legitimate musical expression and crowd pleasing. "Never Been to Spain", with its abstract and philosophical lyrics, was a great choice for Elvis and he tears into it. If another artist had included a recent Top Ten in his act, he/she would receive nods of approval for remaining contemporary. "I Can't Stop Loving You" at the evening show was absolutely amazing.

Dressing like a slob does not connote any kind of artistic authenticity. I don't know how or why that idea gained credence. Jagger didn't wear the diamonds but he often donned jump suit type outfits during this era. I have a Look magazine featuring Jagger in an outfit similar to the ones that Elvis was wearing in 1970. The outfits, at this stage, made perfect sense for Elvis as he wanted to give the audience a striking visual. What's more Elvis couldn't wear a tuxedo like Sinatra and Tony Bennett. This was a bit of flair. Clearly acts like the Who, with their smashed instruments, understood the value of showmanship. Elvis chose to express it partly with his clothes. It was him, just like the open shirt and jeans was Roger Daltrey.

The shows at the Garden ranged from 55 to 73 minutes. Pretty standard for the era as stated before.
Here's the cover, LTB...........to my eyes Elvis cuts a much finer figure. :wink:

Quite the difference, one guy looked like an adonis, the other a skeleton!

Mike Eder

Post by Mike Eder »

Very close to the I Got Lucky Suit. I actually have that magazine. I like the Stones in the sixties and seventies.

Mike Eder

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Mike Eder wrote:Very close to the I Got Lucky Suit. I actually have that magazine. I like the Stones in the sixties and seventies.
Apart from the suit, I like their music as well, which is really what it's all about anyway.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

I wonder if Mick could have pulled off the Mexican Sundial suit? Seriously, the era of the jumpsuit has not aged well....

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

midnightx wrote:I wonder if Mick could have pulled off the Mexican Sundial suit? Seriously, the era of the jumpsuit has not aged well....
Yes, but only If David Bowie was wearing it! :wink: :)

Rob

Post by Rob »

midnightx wrote:I wonder if Mick could have pulled off the Mexican Sundial suit?
It wouldn't have been that hard to get out of, would it? Maybe if he had one of the guys pull on the legs while he was lying down.......

I'm almost sure he could have done it by himself though.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Rob, we better not quit our day jobs.