Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
kelvin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Opening/Closing nights

Post by kelvin »

Just listening to the Madison release 'Closing Night Feb 1970' and its interesting to hear Elvis' comments on the forthcoming Astrodome concerts. Are all the Opening/Closing nights from Vegas and on tour available on CD? The releases both from Import and FTD of these concerts do throw up some interesting dialogue! Does the closing night from the Aug/Sept 1970 Summer Festival exist and if so any surprise tracks or comments from Elvis on it?

Ben

Re: Opening/Closing nights

Post by Ben »

The tours/seasons that we don't have the Opening/Closing Shows to are...

Vegas July/August 1969 (both)
Tour November 1970 (Closing Show)
Vegas January/February 1971 (Opening Show, we do have parts of it from Soundboard though)
Lake Tahoe July/August 1971 (Both)
Tour November 1971 (Both)
Tour June 1972 (Closing Show)
Tour November 1972
Tour April 1973 (Closing Show)
Lake Tahoe May 1973 (Both)
Tour March 1974 (Opening Show)
May 1974 (Both)
Tour September/October 1974 (Closing Show)
Lake Tahoe October 1974 (Both)
Tour July 1975 (Opening Show)
Tour April 1976 (Closing Show)
Tour July/August 1976 (Closing Show)

Topic author
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

Thanks Ben!

So the Aug 1970 Closing exists? What CD is it on please?

Ben

Post by Ben »

this is what i have about the September 1970 Closing Show.......

Las Vegas. September 8th 3AM Closing Show - King of Vegas Vol. 6 (CD-R)
Songs performed at this show: That's All Right: I Got A Woman-Amen: I Walk The Line (excerpt): Love Me Tender (false start only): I've Lost You: I Just Can't Help Believin’: You've Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’: Polk Salad Annie: Introduction of Band: Introduction of Colonel Parker and Vernon and Priscilla Presley: Heartbreak Hotel (2 false start): Blue Suede Shoes-Whole Lotta Shakin' On-Blue Suede Shoes: Introduction of Bill Porter. Felton Jarvis, and Light Man: All Shook Up (false start): Hound Dog (false start): Bridge Over Troubled Water: Can't Help Falling in Love (false start)
Attendance: 2,000
As it was the Closing Show, as usual, Elvis made it a very special show. The usual song content, but following Polk Salad Annie Elvis proceeded to tell the audience how he put the show together, selecting the musicians etc… He introduced Shirley Bassey and sang one line of her hit song Goldfinger before introducing his co-star in the movie PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE", James Shigeta. Following this he said "I’ve never done this before - my manager, the most creative man I’ve ever met - Colonel Parker" Then he introduced his father, Vernon, and his wife Priscilla saying "She knows I didn't knock that chick up last week either" and with thought added "Because I use birth control". A very long monologue, holding the audience captivated with this informative and funny speech then continued with the remainder of the show.

the CD-R of the show hasn't got the best sound
Last edited by Ben on Fri May 16, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

Thanks again Ben.........shame about the sound.........anybody knw if this was recorded on soundboard?

Ciscoking
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Ciscoking »

Benny,..the date for the Closing Show on September 1970 is a bit tricky...the "official" Closing Night was September 7..an extra show was added because of great demand..a September 8, 3 AM Show..the CD-R we have is dated September 7 Closing Night..but it should be the 3 AM show,..cause Elvis introduces S.Basey..and she visited this show as far as I know..has anybody got further infos..??

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Ben

Post by Ben »

Cisco, the CD-R of this show is the last show of the season 'cos Elvis mentions it IIRC and on the last show of most of the seasons he introduced a lot of his friends/family/Parker etc(like he did in February 1970) so that is the final show sorted.

the last show was supposed to be 7th September Midnight Show(also like February 1970) but because of all the demand the International & Colonel Parker added an extra show at 3AM on 8th September.

so the CD-R is dated 7th September but is actually from 8th September

hope i made sense :lol:

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

ben wrote:Cisco, the CD-R of this show is the last show of the season 'cos Elvis mentions it IIRC
what is "IIRC"..?

and where does Elvis mention what, Benny..?

The question is which show did S.Bassey attend..?
Was it the 7.9.70 MS or the 8.9.70 3 AM show..?
Elvis introduces her on the CDR we have..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Ben

Post by Ben »

Ciscoking wrote:
ben wrote:Cisco, the CD-R of this show is the last show of the season 'cos Elvis mentions it IIRC
what is "IIRC"..?If I Remember Correctly

and where does Elvis mention what, Benny..?
I thought Elvis said something about it "Being our final show here in Las Vegas", i could be wrong though and got it mixed up with another Closing Show
The question is which show did S.Bassey attend..?
where abouts in the show does he introduce Shirley Bassey??(i haven't listed it, i cant have noticed when listening to it 'cos of the sound)

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Listen to the intros of celebs..right before Col.Parker..
he also introduces Vernon, Cilla....

Please check Elvis saying...."last show.."

Ben

Post by Ben »

Ciscoking wrote:Please check Elvis saying...."last show.."
I'll give it a listen sometime this weekend and come back to you, i was sure it was at this show he mentions something about the last show.

P.S. wouldn't the fast that he introduced Colonel Parker and the Light Man(does anyone know who the light man is he introduces?? Lamar??), Felton Jarvis and Pill Porter make it 90% probable that it was the LAST show 'cos he did that most of the final shows in the 'early (Vegas) years'??

Topic author
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

Hunt that soundboard down! :wink:

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

ben wrote: I'll give it a listen sometime this weekend and come back to you, i was sure it was at this show he mentions something about the last show.
Meanwhile I did my maths, Benny..here`s the key that the 7.9.70 CS we have on CD-R King Of vegas Vol.6 is wrongly dated. In fact it is the additional 8.9.70 3 AM show.

The proof that we are actually dealing with the additional 8.9.70 3 AM show lies in the book
"Did Elvis sing in your hometown too" (Chapter:Elvis in the 70's).
Quote:
In addition to the usual 8:00 pm and midnight show there was one final 3:00 am show add to accommodate the overflow crowd.
During this show he took time to introduce many people including his father, Col. Parker, Priscilla.
Shirley Bassey was also in the audience and Elvis sang a line from Goldfinger in her style.

He introduces S.Bassey on the CDR.

Thanks to my friend Henk for helping me out there.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rickeap »

Songs performed at this show: That's All Right: I Got A Woman-Amen: I Walk The Line (excerpt): Love Me Tender (false start only): I've Lost You: I Just Can't Help Believin’: You've Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’: Polk Salad Annie: Introduction of Band: Introduction of Colonel Parker and Vernon and Priscilla Presley: Heartbreak Hotel (2 false start): Blue Suede Shoes-Whole Lotta Shakin' On-Blue Suede Shoes: Introduction of Bill Porter. Felton Jarvis, and Light Man: All Shook Up (false start): Hound Dog (false start): Bridge Over Troubled Water: Can't Help Falling in Love (false start)

Looking at this set list and the amount of flase starts, it sounds to me like a strange and not pleasing concert.
I count just 10 songs, four with flase starts, and another that failed to go beyond a false start.
I(f this was a '76 concert I'd imagine there would be huge criticism, or is this an edited version of the show?
Rick

Ben

Post by Ben »

rickeap wrote:Songs performed at this show: That's All Right: I Got A Woman-Amen: I Walk The Line (excerpt): Love Me Tender (false start only): I've Lost You: I Just Can't Help Believin’: You've Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’: Polk Salad Annie: Introduction of Band: Introduction of Colonel Parker and Vernon and Priscilla Presley: Heartbreak Hotel (2 false start): Blue Suede Shoes-Whole Lotta Shakin' On-Blue Suede Shoes: Introduction of Bill Porter. Felton Jarvis, and Light Man: All Shook Up (false start): Hound Dog (false start): Bridge Over Troubled Water: Can't Help Falling in Love (false start)

Looking at this set list and the amount of false starts, it sounds to me like a strange and not pleasing concert.
I count just 10 songs, four with false starts, and another that failed to go beyond a false start.
I(f this was a '76 concert I'd imagine there would be huge criticism, or is this an edited version of the show?
Rick
I count 12 songs - not including I Walk The Line & Love Me Tender.
ANYTHING from 1970 is a good show and the false starts were just Elvis fooling around 'cos it was the last show, it is a very good show IMO.
Ciscoking wrote:Meanwhile I did my maths, Benny..here`s the key that the 7.9.70 CS we have on CD-R King Of Vegas Vol.6 is wrongly dated. In fact it is the additional 8.9.70 3 AM show.

The proof that we are actually dealing with the additional 8.9.70 3 AM show lies in the book
"Did Elvis sing in your hometown too" (Chapter:Elvis in the 70's).
Quote:
In addition to the usual 8:00 pm and midnight show there was one final 3:00 am show add to accommodate the overflow crowd.
During this show he took time to introduce many people including his father, Col. Parker, Priscilla.
Shirley Bassey was also in the audience and Elvis sang a line from Goldfinger in her style.

He introduces S.Bassey on the CDR.

Thanks to my friend Henk for helping me out there.
thanks a lot Cisco, another show we have 100% proof now :D

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

You`re welcome, Benny..

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Steve_M wrote:Hey Cisco, that's THE show we had fun & games with, right? We had to adjust the database to accommodate it, yes?
If Elvis was still around now I'd curse him for ever adding that extra show. He just doesn't appreciate the trouble he put us to. :lol:
Hey Steve, i hope you stay around here its good to see you back

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Steve_M wrote:
ben wrote:
Steve_M wrote:Hey Cisco, that's THE show we had fun & games with, right? We had to adjust the database to accommodate it, yes?
If Elvis was still around now I'd curse him for ever adding that extra show. He just doesn't appreciate the trouble he put us to. :lol:
Hey Steve, i hope you stay around here its good to see you back
I've always been around, I've just been in between posts. You're always away until your next post. :lol:
I'm never away then, nearly 2000 posts in about 7 months :shock: :shock: :lol:

I'm just wondering, are you going to be doing anymore footage 'projects' any time soon?? :D :D

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Steve_M wrote:Hey Cisco, that's THE show we had fun & games with, right? We had to adjust the databse to accomodate it, yes?
If Elvis was stil around now I'd curse him for ever adding that extra show. He just doesn't appreciate the trouble he put us to. :lol:
Man, ....we were struggling....these were the days..my "english" and your "knowledge" about wrongly dated live concerts made it really hard..but we managed it.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: We created something really good.. :wink:

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Steve_M wrote:Talking of which, I recall the first week I was ever on here >>>351 posts :lol: Jesus nelly :lol:

Footage projects? No, I'm going to finish one off that i was commissioned to do and after that there'll be no more.
I'm winding things up like that overall. I've taken a back seat to many Elvis type things but there's a couple of new angles I'm working on for the website which have been ideas in my head for the past few years that I'd like to see come to light but other than that I'm aiming for a Feb 9th 2009 could you narrow it down please :lol: end to near enough everything Elvis as far as my personal life goes.
shame about that, you are one of the good guys in the Elvis world, i wouldn't have seen some of the On Tour outtakes and Elvis In Concert footage if you didn't put it on your site.

why are you 'retiring' from the Elvis world on that exact date?? and why 'retire' at all?? :cry: :cry:

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Steve_M wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:PS: We created something really good.. :wink:
We did okay and now you speak better English than me :D
Well....your knowledge about wrongly dated shows increased, too... :lol: