On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Tommy Steele Confirms Elvis visit!

Post by Spellbinder »

John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:Why on earth would Elvis phone Tommy Steele just to come to London for a day when he could have called Cliff Richard?
Cos Cliff was in Germany trying to see Elvis. But, bad luck for Cliff, when he knocked on Elvis' door (we've all seen the video) Elvis was on the phone speaking to Tommy.
By jove, I think you've got it.
Don't tell the wife.
It was her you got it from.
By thought transfer?

Ray

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:Why on earth would Elvis phone Tommy Steele just to come to London for a day when he could have called Cliff Richard?
Cos Cliff was in Germany trying to see Elvis. But, bad luck for Cliff, when he knocked on Elvis' door (we've all seen the video) Elvis was on the phone speaking to Tommy.
By jove, I think you've got it.
Don't tell the wife.
It was her you got it from.
By thought transfer?
So what are you saying here? Are you saying what I think you're saying or am I barking up the wrong tree?
No - I'm just derailing as usual.

Ray

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TONY »

Bodie wrote:
I think the reason why EPE havent come out and said this story is 100% untrue is that they really dont know as much about Elvis as some fans do.
That's true. A few years ago when a well known Elvis associate phoned Graceland to ask if they could locate for the master photo used on Elvis' first album cover, the individual at Graceland asked him what it looked like and to describe it!!!
But I believe Elvis DID visit London - it's where he got the inspiration to record "The wonder of KEW" and "Crying in Whitechapel"!!!!

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

John from Woodley wrote:Maybe this has something to do with it.

http://www.psychics.co.uk/celebrities/tommysteel.html
OMG !

How was Tommy able to describe the ghostly ball so accurately ?

Err............................. he bought it as a present for his brother 'a few years ago' !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

OY! Stop derailing my thread :twisted:

I actually think you are all disrespecting Tommy Steele OBE just a little. What if he has evidence of a visit? Who'll have egg on their faces then :wink:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

Little Darlin wrote:OY! Stop derailing my thread :twisted:

I actually think you are all disrespecting Tommy Steele OBE just a little. What if he has evidence of a visit? Who'll have egg on their faces then :wink:
I heard rumours that Tommy Steele once saw Lord Lucan riding 'Shergar' :smt005

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Little Darlin wrote:What if he has evidence of a visit?
That he did not produce said evidence when promoting this story casts grave doubt on the entire tale.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

TONY

Post by TONY »

Next they'll be telling us that Elvis moved to the UK, was given a council house and started claiming benefits!!!?!

Richard Palmer

Post by Richard Palmer »

TONY wrote:Next they'll be telling us that Elvis moved to the UK, was given a council house and started claiming benefits!!!?!
No, you'd have read about it in the Daily Mail by now.

Richard Palmer

Post by Richard Palmer »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
That he did not produce said evidence when promoting this story casts grave doubt on the entire tale.
I can't believe people are even discussing this as if there may be the slightest possibility of it being true. However, we should at least try and remember that this story was told to Bill Kenwright some years ago, and he's the one who has now made it public. What Tommy Steele may well have said as a wind-up, and which he thought would have been long forgotten, has come back to haunt him. The fact that he hasn't come out and denied it is probably more to do with his desire not to make his good friend look like a complete knob, rather than any intention to deceive the public. Tommy Steele is one of the most hard working, talented performers this country has ever produced, and from (what little) I know about him as a person he's never struck me as being a liar. I think it's a private joke that's got out of hand.

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Richard Palmer wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I can't believe people are even discussing this as if there may be the slightest possibility of it being true. However, we should at least try and remember that this story was told to Bill Kenwright some years ago, and he's the one who has now made it public. What Tommy Steele may well have said as a wind-up, and which he thought would have been long forgotten, has come back to haunt him. The fact that he hasn't come out and denied it is probably more to do with his desire not to make his good friend look like a complete knob, rather than any intention to deceive the public. Tommy Steele is one of the most hard working, talented performers this country has ever produced, and from (what little) I know about him as a person he's never struck me as being a liar. I think it's a private joke that's got out of hand.
I agree entirely!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

OH-OH

SPECULATION is mounting that the King of Rock and Roll may have once flown into Suffolk as part of a secret visit to the England in 1958.

Revelations that Elvis Presley visited Tommy Steele first emerged in a radio interview with Bill Kenwright - a friend of the entertainer who was regarded as the UK's answer to Elvis.

And it is now thought Elvis may have used the American base at RAF Mildenhall as a “secret way” into the UK to avoid paparazzi lurking at the recently renovated Gatwick airport.

Mr Kenwright told Radio 2's Ken Bruce show Tracks Of My Years: “Elvis came to England. Nobody thinks he did and I hope Tommy doesn't go mad when I tell you.

“Tommy got a phone call one night. It said: 'They tell me you're good' and Tommy replied: 'Who's this?' The caller said: 'It's Elvis,' and Tommy said: 'Get outta here.' And Elvis said: 'Are you as good as me?'

"And they talked and they got a friendship. Elvis flew in for a day. Tommy showed him round London... showed him the Houses of Parliament and spent the day with him.”

It was always thought that the closest Presley ever got to England was a brief stopover at Prestwick airport in Scotland in 1960, on his way home from his army base in Germany.

Now, however, it appears the Suffolk base may have been used when he flew in.

Peter Merrick, who runs Mildenhall Museum, said: “I suppose anything can happen if you're famous. If the base commander gave the nod then it wouldn't be put on the records.”

An RAF Mildenhall spokesman said: “I cannot speculate whether he came because it is not in our records.”

Alan Wells, from Mildenhall, who keeps a shrine to Elvis and named his own daughter after Elvis's daughter, Lisa Marie, said he found the claims unlikely because he was so famous at that time.

Mr Wells said: “For him to be sat in the back of a car driving round London with Tommy Steele is too good to be true. I find it hard to believe.”

Cockney singer Steele, now 71, said that he had promised never to reveal the visit in public and that he regretted that it had come out in the open.

He told the Daily Mail newspaper: “What actually happened many years ago is something secret and memorable.

“I swore never to divulge publicly what took place and I regret that it has found some way of getting into the light. I can only hope he can forgive me.”

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED23 Apr 2008 23:16:55:087

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

From another site!

I sent a e-mail to tommys website and heres what they sent back.

Hi, Jeanette. It seems that Elvis and Tommy made a pact to keep the visit out of the public eye. They did not want to be mobbed and ruin the visit.

Tommy has now admitted that the visit did indeed occur, but he is sorry that it has been made public at this late date. Of course, there are no pictures. Alas and alack!

Lots of information regarding Tommy on the fan club site. Many well-informed members ready to share.

It's free! http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/tommysteelefanclub

Thanks for writing. Joy also i have had info from close sources that there are pics, so you never know they might apear.

2008/04/23 Elvislady - Tcbworld /

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Let's start a counter rumour!

Let's suggest one of Elvis' buddies said that Tommy Steele was invited to Graceland after Elvis got out the army - they jammed all night and there is a tape out there somewhere. It was only 1 night as Elvis was due in Hollywood the following day. Tommy didn't want to be mobbed by his US fans so the Colonel smuggled him in secretly.

Or shall we say - Elvis actually got 2 invites to London. 1 was from Cliff the other from Tommy Steele. Elvis didn't think anything of Cliff (said he'd never last) and thought Tommy was much more talented, so he accepted his invite.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Richard Palmer wrote:I can't believe people are even discussing this as if there may be the slightest possibility of it being true....I think it's a private joke that's got out of hand.
I agree with your take on it. The problem is, the story is being discussed as accurate by the media and not just newspapers - it was on Sky News last night. It's getting to the stage where it's going to end up as an accepted truth by all but the more knowledgeable Elvis fan base. It doesn't tarnish or enhance Elvis' legacy, but it's false and shouldn't get to the point where it becomes part of Elvis history. I don't want to be playing Trivial Pursuit in 20 yrs time and come across the question "Which 50s singing star showed Elvis around London in 1958?" :lol:

Someone who is in a position to do so should nip it in the bud.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Well, now that this 'secret' visit has been made public, Tommy can produce the photos, can't he ?

Don't try to tell me he didn't have any taken !

The problem with the story is that too many people would have needed to know about it.

Even if they were all sworn to secrecy, they would have talked to their families about it, and some family member would have let it slip out at some point during the last fifty years.

And don't forget the MM !

They would never have kept such a visit 'under wraps' for this long !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Hey I just got this off Joe :wink:

Daniel Lombardy and Joe Esposito have recently released an audio recording revealing the truth about the Elvis UK visit in 1958 with Tommy Steele. Listen to the audio recording here

http://www.tcbjoe.com/TruthaboutUKvisit.mp3 ---

TCBThe TCBJOE TEAM PS: Make sure to forward the audio link to every Elvis fan you know.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

ColinB wrote:Well, now that this 'secret' visit has been made public, Tommy can produce the photos, can't he ?

Don't try to tell me he didn't have any taken !

The problem with the story is that too many people would have needed to know about it.

Even if they were all sworn to secrecy, they would have talked to their families about it, and some family member would have let it slip out at some point during the last fifty years.

And don't forget the MM !

They would never have kept such a visit 'under wraps' for this long !
Maybe they're saving the England visit for their next book!

garydt
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by garydt »

Total rubbish!
Who believes Elvis would say to Steele - 'Are you as good as me?' ? He probably never heard of Steele as he was only a star in the uk. If Elvis had wanted to go to London he would've sent one of the mm to arrange it all not an English star who was in the media if he wanted it to be a secret. Also why did Elvis wanted it kept a secret afterwards - probably he was too embarressed to have been with Steele.
If Elvis and Steele were sight-seeing in London wouldn't people have recognised the most famous man in the world at that time or was it like 1968 when Elvis walked down Sunset Blvd?

jim from scotland

Post by jim from scotland »

got this in a e-mail

Subject: The Truth about Elvis in UK in 1958...

Daniel Lombardy and Joe Esposito have recently released an audio recording
revealing the truth about the Elvis UK visit in 1958 with Tommy Steele.

Listen to the audio recording here
http://www.tcbjoe.com/TruthaboutUKvisit.mp3

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

jim from scotland wrote:got this in a e-mail

Subject: The Truth about Elvis in UK in 1958...

Daniel Lombardy and Joe Esposito have recently released an audio recording
revealing the truth about the Elvis UK visit in 1958 with Tommy Steele.

Listen to the audio recording here
http://www.tcbjoe.com/TruthaboutUKvisit.mp3
Already posted much earlier today by LD.

Ray

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Are you sure that isn't Kermit The Frog interviewing Joe Esposito?

Give it a listen,all I can see in my minds eye whilst he is talking AFTER the interview is Kermit !!! :D

Dan.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Dan_T wrote:Are you sure that isn't Kermit The Frog interviewing Joe Esposito?

Give it a listen,all I can see in my minds eye whilst he is talking AFTER the interview is Kermit !!! :D

Dan.
My wife asked the same question! :lol:

TONY

Post by TONY »

Elvis and Tommy were probably shown round London in a car and how many times when you're walking down the street do you look inside to see who's inside a car?! Also, Elvis did visit Paris and several parts of Germany; he must have wanted to add the UK to his list of visits, and maybe he felt he could trust a fellow entertainer.
...."well I've never been to England, but I kinda like the Beatles....

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TONY wrote:Elvis and Tommy were probably shown round London in a car ...
Probably not.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!