Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Your opinion on elvis mastered for iTunes

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Hello fellow members! I've had heard terrific reviews of some Sinatra mastered for iTunes albums. What's your opinion on the Elvis ones?

Re: Your opinion on elvis mastered for iTunes

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 pm

frus75 wrote:Hello fellow members! I've had heard terrific reviews of some Sinatra mastered for iTunes albums. What's your opinion on the Elvis ones?

I only have Gold Records Volume 3 from this series. I do think it sounds better than the .mp3 type downloads, and sounds better than the CD ripped to ALAC 16 bit 44.1 kHz.
This is not a "night and day" difference, it is subtle, just how much difference you hear will depend on your playback equipment. There are so many variables to consider that the only way you will ever know is to try it for yourself.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:59 pm

frus75 wrote:Hello fellow members! I've had heard terrific reviews of some Sinatra mastered for iTunes albums. What's your opinion on the Elvis ones?

Don't you really mean Elvis "formatted" for iTunes?

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:04 pm

promiseland wrote:

Don't you really mean Elvis "formatted" for iTunes?

Well, perhaps not the official title of these new releases from Apple is "Mastered For ITunes". This is Apple's attempt to jump on the high resolution downloads bandwagon. There is apparently (according to Apple) a new mastering technique for these files.
I have been able to compare a "Mastered For itunes" release to a HD download (24/96) and they are very similar indeed.

They are a definite step up from the standard .mp3 downloads, and are as good if not better than CD quality.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:23 pm

This is pilfered from one of my own posts from a different thread but may be of help...

What is 'Mastered For Itunes'?

This may help...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012 ... ally-means

This snippet is interesting though -
...the company is asking bands and their labels to submit songs to the store that are encoded as AAC files directly from the original, 24-bit studio recordings.

In Apple's calculation, mastering a song or album "for iTunes" means that it'll sound better while remaining just as portable as the encoded files we're accustomed to packing by the thousands onto our phones and mobile devices. For Bob Ludwig, a mastering engineer who remastered Coldplay's latest album, Mylo Xyloto, for the new "Mastered for iTunes" store, this makes sense. "From a technical viewpoint, there are cases where the lossy 24-bit AAC file would be superior to the lossless CD," Ludwig wrote in an email. "I did an early demonstration for some engineer friends of mine and the difference between the 'Mastered for iTunes' file I created and the one that was ripped from a 16-bit CD was easily heard on the little speakers on my MacBook Pro. I listened to the two versions of Coldplay's single, "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall," to test the difference. (I can't post audio samples of the two versions of the track here because the encoding process a file goes through in any audio editor obscures those subtle differences, but if you have a CD version of any of the albums in the "Mastered for iTunes" section of the store, you can compare easily by ripping the tracks at "iTunes Plus" quality.) Played over decent headphones, I could hear subtle differences, especially where the mix was denser and more complicated. Ludwig's "Mastered for iTunes" version sounds slightly less crowded, with clearer distinctions between similar tones in acoustic guitar and piano and sharper, less distorted drums."

Seemingly then, if I deduce correctly, Elvis' albums are being offered, or have been mastered, both lossless and lossy, utilising 24bit/96 kHz masters for different online music stores?

Interestingly, the version of 'Elvis Presley' (LPM 1254) that turned up from Sony on Amazon in 2013 (?) included 'Just Because' with the intro fixed, as on 'A Boy From Tupelo' ...

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Do these mastered for iTunes records play on any device or only on Apple's? Can they be ripped to CD? If so do they lose quality?

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:45 pm

frus75 wrote:Do these mastered for iTunes records play on any device or only on Apple's? Can they be ripped to CD? If so do they lose quality?

They can be easily converted to other formats without any loss of quality with software such as "AVS Audio Converter"
http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Converter.aspx

Readable formats to convert:
Read: MP3, MPEG3, WMA, WAV, M4A, M4B, M4R, AAC, AMR, AWB, OGG, MP1, AC3, MP2, FLAC, AIFF, AIF, AIFC, AU, VOX, MPC, MP+, MKA, RAW, PCM, GSM, AVI, IVF, DIV, DIVX, MTV, AMV, MPG, MPEG, MOD, MPE, MVV, M2V, WMV, ASF, DVR-MS, DAT, IFO, VOB, VRO, M2TS, M2T, MTS, TOD, TS, TP, DV, MKV, OGM, OGV, OGA, OGX, RM, RMVB, RAM, IVR, MOV, QT, M4V, MP4, 3GP2, 3GPP, 3GP, 3G2, FLV, SWF, MID, MIDI, KAR, APE, QCP, MPA, RA, SHN, VOC

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Are the hearing samples on the itunes store representative of the final product? I've just connected my B&W headphones to my Mac and compare Golden Records 3 mastered for itunes with the Anesini cd edition and they sound exactly the same. Some placebo effect here? In case of some Sinatra albums the difference is outstanding and huge, but because the records have been specially remastered for this project. It seems sony has passed the legacy editions and the 20 soundtrack anesini box and Apple's just imported them using this format. But with sinatra, on some albums, there were no new remasters, so they didn't take the easy way and provided Apple with new transfers and masterings. Hence, the itunes Swinging Brass is nothing like the 1992 and 1998 editions. Same with others.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:23 am

frus75 wrote:Are the hearing samples on the itunes store representative of the final product? I've just connected my B&W headphones to my Mac and compare Golden Records 3 mastered for itunes with the Anesini cd edition and they sound exactly the same. Some placebo effect here? In case of some Sinatra albums the difference is outstanding and huge, but because the records have been specially remastered for this project. It seems sony has passed the legacy editions and the 20 soundtrack anesini box and Apple's just imported them using this format. But with sinatra, on some albums, there were no new remasters, so they didn't take the easy way and provided Apple with new transfers and masterings. Hence, the itunes Swinging Brass is nothing like the 1992 and 1998 editions. Same with others.

Well, I am not sure if the samples represent the files accurately, but I can say that the 'gain' when comparing the HD files or the Mastered for iTunes files to CD or CD rips can be very variable. Some sound impressively different, some are only subtly different. I would say the easiest thing for you to do, at this point is to choose 1 of the "Mastered for iTunes" albums and buy it, it is the only way to know for sure. However, what ever one you choose the results with that particular one may not be the same as any one other. You see, they have you this way, if you want to know if it's worth it,you have to buy it.
So we end up pulled into buying stuff yet again for a promoted sound quality upgrade.
How many times has this marketing technique been used on Elvis fans? Just think how many times have we bought that same album yet again under the promise of "improved sound" banner?
Go ahead, it's they only way to know.
For what it's worth, I have only bought 1 "Mastered for iTunes" whereas I have bought every 24-96 download I can get my hands on. And that is quite a lot...