Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTd vinyl question? (For the millionth time...)

Sat May 27, 2017 6:47 pm

I know it's been asked a million times, but are the FTd vinyls worth getting from the sound quality perspective? Are they mastered from digital masters?

Thanks

IVAN

Box sets for sale
http://m.ebay.de/sch/tcb-ivest/m.html?i ... mwBanner=1

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Re: FTd vinyl question? (For the millionth time...)

Sat May 27, 2017 7:34 pm

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/ ... =1&t=85503

Sat May 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Well, I have the the following FTD Vinyl

On Stage
TTWII
From Elvis In Memphis
King Creole

Overall they sound just the same as the CD's, but King Creole sounds brighter, and punchier.
They are all very clean, quiet vinyl, but generally (other than KC) there is no sonic advantage over they CD issues.
This is just my small experience.

FTd vinyl question? (For the millionth time...)

Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks fragrance and Scoobie!

Sat May 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Exactly! No sonic differences.

Sat May 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Practically the same really but they still sound great and in some cases a better listen as less is sometimes more.
Great artwork although it's a pity they've gone from printed inner sleeves to paper.

I don't know why they can't do all analogue releases after all isn't that what speakers corner do at a lesser price? It would certainly make them more desirable. Essential even.

norrie

Sat May 27, 2017 11:45 pm

frus75 wrote:I know it's been asked a million times....

Are you asking "For The Millionth and the Last Time?"

Sun May 28, 2017 12:01 am

Rob wrote:
frus75 wrote:I know it's been asked a million times....

Are you asking "For The Millionth and the Last Time?"

One more kiss and then I promise, Rob...

Sun May 28, 2017 4:04 pm

norrie wrote:Practically the same really but they still sound great and in some cases a better listen as less is sometimes more.
Great artwork although it's a pity they've gone from printed inner sleeves to paper.

I don't know why they can't do all analogue releases after all isn't that what speakers corner do at a lesser price? It would certainly make them more desirable. Essential even.

norrie

Some record pressing plants can no longer process analogue masters, and have had digital cutting heads installed. So they have no way to work except with digital. However, I think the plants FTD are using are still using analogue equipment, as in some of the sales information with FTD vinyl it states 'using analogue masters'. This can mean that at some stage an analogue master was used, but where in the process we can't tell. I think most of them are cut digitally, from digital masters (cd masters). They may sound the same as the CD, but they are a work of art in themselves. Plus,they provide you with an alternative album to the original issue. This is really clever, instead of trying to put everything from the CD issue on multiple discs, they limit it to maximum 2 LP's to provide the collector with a expanded alternative album.
So, in that respect they have a purpose. And they look great, but, boy, are they expensive!
I have to consider each purchase of FTD vinyl, because in most cases, I already have the FTD CD, so why do I need the viny? Honestly I don't need them, I just want them!

Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 pm

I know it's been asked a million times, but are the FTd vinyls worth getting from the sound quality perspective?

No, not I.M.O at least, mint U.S ( & maybe other countries also ) originals, especially LIVING STEREO pressings, sound far better. The FTD vinyls don't sound terrible ( well some do ) but they do not compare to the originals.

Are they mastered from digital masters?

Almost certainly in all cases, yes ... as is most modern vinyl it seems, making the whole point of having the music on vinyl somewhat pointless, from an audio perspective at least. You may as well have the audio on the cheaper CD format ... but hey if other people enjoy them, then that's great. I've personally been disappointed with most all modern vinyl.

Tue May 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks everybody

Tue May 30, 2017 7:31 pm

No kiss goodnight?

Tue May 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Rob wrote:No kiss goodnight?

I have a reputation ....