Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What about a ,BEST OF FTD collection?

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:49 pm

There have been so many releases over the years,and I am sure not everyone has bought every release.It can be an expensive interest and I for one have cherry picked throughout the years.I think this could prove popular.Some imagination would be needed,some imaginative packaging,maybe themed cds,a box set ? Any ideas. Jake :)

Re: What about a ,BEST OF FTD collection?

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:07 pm

I think they should do it by themes or eras and have them be 4 disc collections, much like Platinum A Life In Music. Each disc should be a full 79 minutes of material.

Boxset 1: 1950s studio
Boxset 2: 1950s concerts/TV appearances
Boxset 3: 1960s studio
Boxset 4: 1960s soundtracks
Boxset 5: 70s studio
Boxset 6: multi-track concerts
Boxset 7: soundboards

To get the most material on each collection, they should avoid too much patter, and false starts, but deal with complete alternate takes and undubbed master for the studio and soundtrack collections.
7 4 disc box sets would be fairly comprehensive.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:16 pm

Just an idea.What about a FIRST AND LAST BOX.First take and master,first and last live.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:21 pm

I sold off pretty much my whole FTD collection. Just kept the discs I love the most (after saving everything else to my hard drive, of course). Honestly If there would be a box set, It would be these ones i saved.

"Flashback"
"Fame and Fortune"
"Memphis Sessions"
"Nashville Marathon"
"Jungle Room Sessions"

Granted there's no Live cd's included. That's a whole different ball game.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:28 pm

I sold mine too. I had all the 7" collection. I sold off my 5" collection as the 7" collection made them obsolete. Now, I wish I had kept most of my 5" collection. They were more enjoyable to listen to than the Classic Album Series is. Though I think the Classic Album Series is the best idea FTD ever had.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm not bothered about them re-releasing all the same material again. You can buy the ones that suit you best. I didn't buy "Anerica" or "Elvis in Florida" because they were big standard live shows in poor sound quality....

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:39 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I sold mine too. I had all the 7" collection. I sold off my 5" collection as the 7" collection made them obsolete. Now, I wish I had kept most of my 5" collection. They were more enjoyable to listen to than the Classic Album Series is. Though I think the Classic Album Series is the best idea FTD ever had.

I enjoyed the classic albums, but found it got to be too much hearing 3 or 4 of the same songs in a row, I get the point of it, but found myself skipping over a lot of tracks.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:48 pm

The only way that there should ever be a "Best Of FTD" album or collection, is if it goes out to retail. It would be a good advert for the label, and more importantly it would be cheap enough to warrant buying it for anyone who already owned the material.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I sold mine too. I had all the 7" collection. I sold off my 5" collection as the 7" collection made them obsolete. Now, I wish I had kept most of my 5" collection. They were more enjoyable to listen to than the Classic Album Series is. Though I think the Classic Album Series is the best idea FTD ever had.

The 5 inch FTDs remain my favorites. Releases such as Out In Hollywood, Fame & Fortune, etc were a joy to listen to and much easier to store. Those along with the Eseential Elvis series on the main label took care of the outtakes quite sufficiently & reasonably . I do have some classic albums in the 7 inch format (Jailhouse 1&2, EIB, FEIM, Gold Vol. 2) but even on songs I love, take after gets tedious quickly. I like the initial idea FTD had. Beat out the bootleggers by releasing outtake CDs and essential live shows. They have gotten greedy like everyone else who knows the complete-ist Elvis fan base.