Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Pot Luck" with Elvis - what does the title mean?

Wed May 17, 2017 10:12 am

I was wondering about the origin of this album title. Firstly, what does "Pot Luck" actually mean? Secondly who was behind the selection of this title (as it bears no relation to the song titles in the album), and what did Elvis think of it did he ever comment?
Thinking more about this topic, what control, if any, did Elvis exercise over album titles and cover artwork in relation to his albums?

Re: "Pot Luck" with Elvis - what does the title mean?

Wed May 17, 2017 10:28 am

This article explains it best:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 17, 2017 10:53 am

Oh, ok thanks!

Wed May 17, 2017 10:58 am

1962 Hodge Podge.

Wed May 17, 2017 12:04 pm

A potluck dinner is a social get together where every guest is required to bring their own unique homemade dish, cumulating in a giant feast for everyone.

Potluck dinners were at the height of their popularity right around '62, so I guess Elvis and Colonel were trying to cash in on the craze. I know every time I throw a potluck, THIS is the album that's always spinning.

As the early sixties segued into the late sixties, potluck dinners fell out of favor for the clambake. Colonel and E were right on top of it.

Wed May 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Scoobie wrote:I was wondering about the origin of this album title. Firstly, what does "Pot Luck" actually mean? Secondly who was behind the selection of this title (as it bears no relation to the song titles in the album), and what did Elvis think of it did he ever comment?
Thinking more about this topic, what control, if any, did Elvis exercise over album titles and cover artwork in relation to his albums?

Aside from the explanation we have in the clipping posted by HTN - it may, or may not be a coincidence, but there's a Jeff Barry composition with the same title from around this time that was supposedly intended for (and I must imagine, refused by) Elvis.

Maybe they did not like the song, but thought it was a good title, who knows :

Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Scoobie wrote:I was wondering about the origin of this album title. Firstly, what does "Pot Luck" actually mean? Secondly who was behind the selection of this title (as it bears no relation to the song titles in the album), and what did Elvis think of it did he ever comment?

Aside from the explanation we have in the clipping posted by HTN - it may, or may not be a coincidence, but there's a Jeff Barry composition with the same title from around this time that was supposedly intended for (and I must imagine, refused by) Elvis.

well, that certainly sounds like a song written in the hope Elvis would record it, but it is very contrived using his vocal style too much. I can see why, if Elvis heard this recording as a demo, he would reject it. Sounds like someone trying to cash in on Elvis sound and style. It would have made sense to have a song entitled "Pot Luck" on the album though.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Trevell wrote:A potluck dinner is a social get together where every guest is required to bring their own unique homemade dish, cumulating in a giant feast for everyone.

Potluck dinners were at the height of their popularity right around '62, so I guess Elvis and Colonel were trying to cash in on the craze. I know every time I throw a potluck, THIS is the album that's always spinning.

As the early sixties segued into the late sixties, potluck dinners fell out of favor for the clambake. Colonel and E were right on top of it.

Thank you, that is an interesting piece of social history. It is nice to know that there was some rational behind the titling of the album.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Scoobie wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

well, that certainly sounds like a song written in the hope Elvis would record it, but it is very contrived using his vocal style too much. I can see why, if Elvis heard this recording as a demo, he would reject it. Sounds like someone trying to cash in on Elvis sound and style. It would have made sense to have a song entitled "Pot Luck" on the album though.

If E had heard this, the only thing I can imagine him saying is, "Please tell me I don't sound like that......"

Wed May 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

I've not heard this before; thanks for sharing! I agree with other posters in that it sounds very calculated to sound like an "Elvis" song. In many ways, it seems like it could have been substituted for Steppin' Out Of Line.

Wed May 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Like we've said before, when we wonder why Elvis did some of the songs he recorded, we haven't heard the ones rejected. Pot Luck is awful.

Wed May 17, 2017 5:45 pm

It was only slightly more creative than the original working title, "Elvis LP #15".

Wed May 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Maybe the title was an attempt to appeal to reefer aficionados.

Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Hobbes wrote:Maybe the title was an attempt to appeal to reefer aficionados.

Yes, well "Elvis On Pot" early 1960's.... yeah that fits the era, perhaps a little early for the summer of love, but perhaps he could have started it all! I wonder what Elvis on pot or other drugs would have sounded like.... oh, hold on :facep:

Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Ouch!

Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 pm

For me it means: Something For Everybody, Volume 2.When I lived in Africa, it was the only cassette of Elvis I had. May I say, I listened to it to the death. A favorite album of mine. The extended version now on FTD is even greater.
Last edited by Tornado on Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

jeanno wrote:1962 Hodge Podge.

Ah, so Charlie was to blame!!

Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 pm

It is nothing to do with dope or any other drugs. That is just what you are reading into it.

"Pot Luck" is just a trendy way of saying it was a jumbled mix of songs - some good, some not so good - and with no connecting theme. It's a slight step down from the similar collective description "Something for Everybody".

Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 am

I love potluck. Be it picnics, lunches, dinners (suppers where I'm from). Oh yeah. I love the LP, too. Except for "Steppin' Out Of Line."

Thu May 18, 2017 1:51 am

Very similar in meaning to "Potluck"...it's original title was going to be "Potpourri".

Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 am

I thought the original album title for this LP was going to be "Pot of Gold" ?

Thu May 18, 2017 5:17 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:This article explains it best:

This was the start of Elvis' comeback....

Thu May 18, 2017 5:19 am

joshferrell wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:This article explains it best:

This was the start of Elvis' comeback....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu May 18, 2017 5:29 am

Pot Luck means that Parker neither cared about Elvis, his music nor his fans mixing any ingredients left in the kitchen into a large vat and served it up as if haute cuisine. Another uninspired title thanks to Tom Parker.

Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 am

I'm jus curious, even tho this whole non-concept Elvis Lp gets so much slack, but "Pot Luck" IS a concept album, or is it my twisted thinking ???

I mean, it flows pretty well, does it not ?