Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

TV Shows/69 Vegas

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 pm

I've been listening to his 69 shows in order 3rd/26 and just enjoying his confidence on stage grow, so much so that by the Hot August concert he had completely got the audience in the palm of his hand.
It reminded me of his TV shows and how we could visibly see his confidence grow from Dorsey even to Berle, and then of course along came Vegas 70 and he went into orbit, thank god we have so many top quality audio shows to enjoy from those two years!

Re: TV Shows/69 Vegas

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 pm

dennyelvis wrote:I've been listening to his 69 shows in order 3rd/26 and just enjoying his confidence on stage grow, so much so that by the Hot August concert he had completely got the audience in the palm of his hand.
It reminded me of his TV shows and how we could visibly see his confidence grow from Dorsey even to Berle, and then of course along came Vegas 70 and he went into orbit, thank god we have so many top quality audio shows to enjoy from those two years!

The 1969/1970 period was certainly a high point for his work as a live performer. Interestingly enough, while his live show arguably improved and remained consistently great throughout that period, I tend to view his "opening night" (8/3?) audio document as something more special and unique than the subsequent audio documents available. Elvis was so focused, committed, and consumed with perfection at the very start of this 1969 engagement in Las Vegas; it was one of those rare occasions where one can hear Elvis reaching his absolute greatness. A level of comfort and even complacency set it by the time RCA started rolling tape on 8/21, even though the overall level of his performance was still outstanding. Those first few days in July/August 1969 must have been beyond amazing to witness.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:34 pm

The "opening night tape" belongs to my all time faves...just back to the roots and unpolished....fantastico.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:02 pm

I also agree, the RTV FTD is truly great and although closest of course by date we have to that holy grail 31 July concert, do u guys believe it's the closest probably in performance that we have? I suppose we can dream a multitrack will surface one day ....

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:34 pm

The fact is that when some recording like the return to Vegas show surfaces, it immediately raises the question of why was it recorded and if there more recordings like that. It even sounds better than most 69-72 soundboards

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:48 pm

frus75 wrote:The fact is that when some recording like the return to Vegas show surfaces, it immediately raises the question of why was it recorded and if there more recordings like that. It even sounds better than most 69-72 soundboards

I guess it was recorded for the key musicians to hear how it all sounds, including Elvis.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:16 pm

epf wrote:
frus75 wrote:The fact is that when some recording like the return to Vegas show surfaces, it immediately raises the question of why was it recorded and if there more recordings like that. It even sounds better than most 69-72 soundboards

I guess it was recorded for the key musicians to hear how it all sounds, including Elvis.

The actual source of the in-line recording remains a mystery. If we get the answer, it might be very interesting.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 pm

I always thought of it as one channel either left or right of a stereo recording. With a key instrument as keyboards, heavy in the "mono" mix. While the drums are weak. Could have been on the other side.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 pm

epf wrote:

No..it was recorded to show Elvis how a 2 LP set of a show could look like. There is paperwork for the division of 4 sides of 2 LPs. Joan Deary first thought it was opening night 1969.Later she found it was not and dropped the idea. Dirk Bogert edited the tape for release and this is what we got by FTD. The original tape was labelled "opening" and was later changed to " 7/31/1969 to 8/26/1969". I would like to hear the unedited tape which does exist.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 pm

Ciscoking wrote:No..it was recorded to show Elvis how a 2 LP set of a show could look like. There is paperwork for the division of 4 sides of 2 LPs.

No. This paperwork was created almost ten years after the recording was made. It has nothing to do with the genesis of the in-line capture of this early 1969 show.

In March 1979, RCA producer Joan Deary was preparing a possible double LP set for release, using this recording. As may be seen, her boxes had the wrong date and location. And the idea of ending Side 3 with "Introductions" is incomprehensible. But this was the Deary era.

790313_Reel 1_73169_Deary.JPG

790313_Reel 2_73169_Deary.JPG

Again, if we determine the true source of this in-line recording, a lot of mystery will be solved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:No..it was recorded to show Elvis how a 2 LP set of a show could look like. There is paperwork for the division of 4 sides of 2 LPs.

No. This paperwork was created almost ten years after the recording was made. It has nothing to do with the genesis of the in-line capture of this early 1969 show.

In March 1979, RCA producer Joan Deary was preparing a possible double LP set for release, using this recording. As may be seen, her boxes had the wrong date and location. And the idea of ending Side 3 with "Introductions" is incomprehensible. But this was the Deary era.

790313_Reel 1_73169_Deary.JPG

790313_Reel 2_73169_Deary.JPG

Again, if we determine the true source of this in-line recording, a lot of mystery will be solved.

The concert was recorded to show Elvis how a release could sound like. This is what I meant. Of course later Joan Deary picked up the idea. And dropped it after she found it wasnt opening night. The original source is a reel to reel tape. Many copies exist.

Baxter people had a copy of the DAT tape that was made from the original and released it on Opening Night.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 am

Ciscoking wrote:The concert was recorded to show Elvis how a release could sound like.

Where is this documented? If so it is a strange demo for him to listen to, since it is not a proper recording and any RCA album release would not sound like it.

Ciscoking wrote:The original source is a reel to reel tape. Many copies exist.

What do you mean by "original source"? The original recording before it was edited and processed for the album tape?

Ciscoking wrote:Baxter people had a copy of the DAT tape that was made from the original and released it on Opening Night.

My recollection of what came out as Opening Night is a lower generation copy of the Deary album tape.