Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Help: The '68 Comeback - MKS 101

Wed May 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Just yesterday I received, what I thought would be the initial pressing of this landmark album. Turned out to be the pressing I already have in my collection for more than 20 years, albeit still in shrink. This is most probably the second-pressing, but most importantly, the fidelity is worse (as if it's mastered from the first-pressing). There are stylus-skips at the end of Memories and during Sometimes I Féel Like A Motherless Child, but most notably there is no countdown before A Little Less Conversation. The great book Bootleg Elvis sadly omitts this info and makes no statement that the second-pressings are indeed inferior in terms of fidelity. Now my friends, would someone know where I can find the first-pressing. I know it was used for the LP-to-CD transfer in 1990 for The '68 Comeback CD (MKS 101-102). Please help me if you can.

Re: Help: The '68 Comeback - MKS 101

Wed May 27, 2015 7:08 pm

drghanem wrote:Just yesterday I received, what I thought would be the initial pressing of this landmark album. Turned out to be the pressing I already have in my collection for more than 20 years, albeit still in shrink. This is most probably the second-pressing, but most importantly, the fidelity is worse (as if it's mastered from the first-pressing). There are stylus-skips at the end of Memories and during Sometimes I Féel Like A Motherless Child, but most notably there is no countdown before A Little Less Conversation. The great book Bootleg Elvis sadly omitts this info and makes no statement that the second-pressings are indeed inferior in terms of fidelity. Now my friends, would someone know where I can find the first-pressing. I know it was used for the LP-to-CD transfer in 1990 for The '68 Comeback CD (MKS 101-102). Please help me if you can.

From your description the LP does not sound like a second pressing. A second pressing would use the same master stamper as the first. What you probably have is an item someone counterfeited from the original, and did a crappy job on it, which is why you have stylus-skips and omitted segments.

Copies are up on eBay now, maybe one is right for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-The-68-Comeback-MEMPHIS-RECORDS-MKS-101-/301385863830
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-The-68-Comeback-LP-Memphis-Record-Label-MKS-101/381227480086
http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-ELVIS-Presley-THE-68-COMEBACK-SEALED-Best-Selling-B-T-Ever-Prime-King-/131429172209

Thu May 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks Doc John I certainly appreciate your help and input. I constantly search for this album on Ebay but so far I've had no luck. The hunt goes on...

Fri May 29, 2015 2:59 pm

To Drghanem

If you wish to get the original, first pressing of MKS 101, then check out the back cover. It must be of a slight salmon color, not white.
Also on the back, the word comeback is misspelled as "comback", however using the same lettering as on the front cover, where it is correctly spelled.
The second outing is the same pressing / quality, but the back cover of the sleeve in white. However, still sporting the mis-spelling "comback".
These two versions come from their initial producer, Paul Dowling (hope that's okay with you, to name you here, Paul).
The next pressing / issue was done as team-work from Dowling and Sam Theaker.
The front cover is still the same, but the back cover, also of a white color, has the mis-spelling of "comback" corrected, however a different type of font is used.
All these records should sound indentical as they were produced from the same stamper and from the same bootlegger/s.
On pressings / editions later than the initial ones from Paul, the MKS 101 STEREO information on the upper right has been blacked out for reasons unknown.

So, as the Doc correctly informed you, what you have is a counterfeit, probably the one we mentioned as "made in Holland".
Actually the reprinting of the album cover is quite well done, so it could, at first glance, be taken for an original pressing.

And, by the way, thanks for the information about the omission of count-ins. That's much appreciated.
We were very careful, when we checked all the vinyls we got into that huge book.
But, sorry to say, we could not listen through every record in its entirety, because then, the book would be ready in about 10 years from now.
Still, it is very strange and absolutely unusual to hear, that a counterfeit omits parts of an original pressing.
We really have to check that on our records.

I hope I was of a bit of help to you.
One of the makers of "Bootleg Elvis".

Oh, just in case you did not know yet; a very, very limited number of these records were pressed on striking red and grass green translucent vinyl.
These would be the ultimate collectors items of this legendary bootleg album, believed to be the absolute alltime-bestseller of any illicit Elvis vinyl record.

Sat May 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Many thanks for your very informative reply on this topic. The vinyl is quite heavy and the album-cover is of heavy stock US-type with a white back-cover and the mispelled The '68 Comback. European counterfeits often used ligher vinyl and stock but perhaps this was a exception. Also please note that there are stylus-skips at the end of Memories and a fast-fade, there are also stylus-skips on Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child. I will keep looking for a salmon-coloured back.

Thanks again!

Sat May 30, 2015 4:37 pm

Hello again Drghanem

Thanks for your information.
Please let me tell you, that even original pressings of this album do not sound overly great.
The reason for it, and probably for the from you mentioned stylus-skips is the use of wax acetates rather than a tape copy to produce this LP.
So even the original first pressing does not sound perfect and at points it gives you the impression of a skipping stylus.
But that problem is on the wax acetates / laquers already, that were used to produce this album.

Sat May 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Yes I understand that acetates were used, I have your wonderful book Bootleg Elvis and see the acetates on photos. The CD from 1990 contains both volumes mastered from very good vinyls and these have no stylus-skips. So in my conlusion, my counterfeits have been very badly copied from a bad copy and not the mother-stamper. The sound is also somewhat duller. Matrix nombers are the same as original.