Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:37 pm

First song recorded after the Army on March 20, 1960 at RCA Studio B, in Nashville. Steve Sholes credited producer with hands on by Chet Atkins, and as always since 1956, Elvis Presley himself. Great sound provided by Bill Porter in true pristine crystal clear stereo for the first time in Elvis's recording career! This number was also first as the album opener for the great Elvis Is Back!" album.

Elvis does a great job with this r&b pop rocker newly composed by Otis Blackwell. As it would become a habit more often that not, Elvis came in the studio unprepared. Nevertheless, the tension in the studio was relieved after take 19 of the (according to Elvis), "wordy" song was deemed the master. I love it!

Excellent demo by Blackwell giving Presley almost a run for his money, in my opinion. - https://we.tl/3ECDg2KwH0

Producer Chet Atkins at the start..."Let's cut one"!


Master

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm

That whole album is top notch.Everything on it and his voice was untouchable by anyone,anywhere in any kind of music.I have the FTD but this year sometime I gotta get the Legacy version.
Thanks for posting.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:33 pm

One of the 1960 gems that I wish was on an A side here in America. Maybe after its Now Or Never? As much as Are You Lonesome Tonight sold(I was never a big fan of narration songs), I wish he would have followed up Never with a Rocker, because then it was onto Surrender and it was 3 ballads in a row. How can u lose with Otis and Elvis?

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Great song...beautiful voice. Wonderful music.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Cool r&b/pop song and perfect vocal performance. Awesome way to start a near perfect álbum.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Domino wrote:That whole album is top notch.Everything on it and his voice was untouchable by anyone,anywhere in any kind of music.I have the FTD but this year sometime I gotta get the Legacy version.

Why? The FTD is the ultimate edition of this marvelous album.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Good song and terrific performance from our man. EIB was one of the first Elvis albums I got and I still remember how exciting it was to hear Make Me Know It blasting through my headphones. The opening track caught my attention right away and I was simply blown away by the album. It was and remains one of my all time favorite albums. Elvis' voice was simply beautiful and he was performing different kind of material with ease. The sound quality of these recordings was amazing as well. The havey stood the test of time. Kudos to Bill Porter. IMO EIB is one of the essential albums in the Presley catalog.

Thanks for the topic and the Otis Blackwell demo. First time I heard it.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 pm

What a song.This should have been a single in 1960. Also Such a night, The girl of my best friend and especially Reconsider Baby.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thanks for another great post ::rocks.

Fantastic song from my favourite Elvis lp: Elvis Is Back! :wink:.

Image

The first slow takes are fantastic, it gives IMO a more rocker feel. Listen to those finger snapping at almost the end, I´m almost sure it´s Elvis :smt020. There are still 7 unreleased outtakes (last year we got 4 outtakes on FTD Elvis´Golden records Vol 3). Wish we had the complete recording session for Elvis Is Back! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 20.html#01

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:14 am

In lesser hands and without the same calibre of musicianship, Make Me Know It would be quite forgettable, in my opinion. As a song, it's fairly mediocre. But Elvis`s performance is simply delicious and the feeling of effervescent joy in every line and phrase is the making of this recording. Which is bolstered by a superb accompaniment in every single respect. Bringing doo-wop flourishes and touches of rhythm and blues to a finely crafted pop track that's well-placed at the start of Elvis is Back!.

It`s a pity Elvis didn't work with Chet Atkins again later in his career. Some diversity and familiarity with regards to previous experience may have been good for him. Atkins` work with Perry Como in the 1970s is particularly good and I can imagine similar results with Elvis had he been on form. But his early-sixties recordings boast a multitude of riches and very high standards at best.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:48 am

Thanks Juan! I really like this song. Elvis really delivers on this song demonstrating that he hadn't missed a beat, so-to-speak, while serving in the Army. It is a great lead in to a magnificent album. Elvis' voice sounds good, the arrangement is perfect for Elvis as well.

To the point raised by Greystoke, it is too bad Elvis didn't do more work with Chet Atkins. Along with being a terrific musician, Atkins was also a respected record producer and song writer. His influence of Elvis' return to recording could have made a great impact throughout the sixties.

rlj

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 am

Greystoke wrote:In lesser hands and without the same calibre of musicianship, Make Me Know It would be quite forgettable, in my opinion. As a song, it's fairly mediocre. But Elvis`s performance is simply delicious and the feeling of effervescent joy in every line and phrase is the making of this recording. Which is bolstered by a superb accompaniment in every single respect. Bringing doo-wop flourishes and touches of rhythm and blues to a finely crafted pop track that's well-placed at the start of Elvis is Back.


Your observation is interesting. From the first time i dropped the needle on this track, it was magical. I have never given any thought to the possibility that this track in someone else's hands could be mediocre because in Elvis' hands he makes it perfect. This is clearly a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. A classic track. Elvis at his peak could turn garbage into whipped cream.

This song set the table for this album. You knew you would be delighted. Elvis Is Back and Memphis to Vegas/Vegas To Memphis and FEIM bookending the 60s. Doesn't get much better-except we also have 54 to 58.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:21 am

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks Juan! I really like this song. Elvis really delivers on this song demonstrating that he hadn't missed a beat, so-to-speak, while serving in the Army. It is a great lead in to a magnificent album. Elvis' voice sounds good, the arrangement is perfect for Elvis as well.

To the point raised by Greystoke, it is too bad Elvis didn't do more work with Chet Atkins. Along with being a terrific musician, Atkins was also a respected record producer and song writer. His influence of Elvis' return to recording could have made a great impact throughout the sixties.

rlj
I believe Chet Atkins was a good producer, but not a fan of rock' roll. He directed the sessions well (in a stern and laid back manner), But grew tired of the all night sessions*, and brought a student (of his), to replace him that was as young as Elvis, and knew that he would connect better with him. Come Felton Jarvis 1966.


*There are reports Elvis was not amused (to put it mildly), of seeing Chet asleep during a session. "Do not yawn" comes to mind! LOL...

My opinion is that Chet bored Elvis and saw him as old guard, not as a peer.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:08 am

The year, the decade, the album , it all started with this song. A wonderful song

Ivan

Selling some ftd
http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/tcb-ivest/m.htm ... mwBanner=1


Enviado desde mi iPod touch utilizando Tapatalk

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Thank you jaun, i enjoyed this.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 pm

An example of Elvis taking an OK song and turning it into a masterpiece, and a great opener for Elvis' first stereo album.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm

A longtime Elvis favorite of mine, and really a song which flew under the radar. Elvis sang the snot out of that track. A true gem.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm

The LP Elvis is back was even released in Cuba.


colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 am

colonel snow wrote:The LP Elvis is back was even released in Cuba.


colonel snow
Thank you colonel snow, again! Collectors should be able to find more now, since relations are open again with Cuba and U.S. .

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:46 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

colonel snow wrote:The LP Elvis is back was even released in Cuba. colonel snow


This Cuban red Nipper label release of Elvis Is Back! (Elvis Regresa) was released on white Nipper & black Nipper label too! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Image

Image

Image

P.S: I have the red Nipper label in my collection and I´m still looking to get the Colombian lp Elvis Ha Vuelto! 8).

Image

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:51 am

A great pop track to open Elvis' finest studio album! I agree with Greystoke in the hands of another artist it would've been a throwaway. The track sets the mood of what great songs (and better) was to come after this one on the LP.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Davelee wrote:A great pop track to open Elvis' finest studio album! I agree with Greystoke in the hands of another artist it would've been a throwaway. The track sets the mood of what great songs (and better) was to come after this one on the LP.


After the 50's , this track and Wearin That Loved On Look in 69 were the only 2 opening tracks to totally transform me when the needle hit the grooves. It was a feeling like no other and it never happened to me with any other Elvis LPs after 69. Promised Land comes close but I already knew that track from having the single, plus it didnt set the tone for the rest of the album like these two did. Pure joy.

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Juan Luis wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Thanks Juan! I really like this song. Elvis really delivers on this song demonstrating that he hadn't missed a beat, so-to-speak, while serving in the Army. It is a great lead in to a magnificent album. Elvis' voice sounds good, the arrangement is perfect for Elvis as well.

To the point raised by Greystoke, it is too bad Elvis didn't do more work with Chet Atkins. Along with being a terrific musician, Atkins was also a respected record producer and song writer. His influence of Elvis' return to recording could have made a great impact throughout the sixties.

rlj
I believe Chet Atkins was a good producer, but not a fan of rock' roll. He directed the sessions well (in a stern and laid back manner), But grew tired of the all night sessions*, and brought a student (of his), to replace him that was as young as Elvis, and knew that he would connect better with him. Come Felton Jarvis 1966.


*There are reports Elvis was not amused (to put it mildly), of seeing Chet asleep during a session. "Do not yawn" comes to mind! LOL...

My opinion is that Chet bored Elvis and saw him as old guard, not as a peer.


Like Darth Vader as apprentice to Obi Wan with none of the remdemption at the end. Atkins will long be remembered; Felton who?

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:38 pm

fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Thanks Juan! I really like this song. Elvis really delivers on this song demonstrating that he hadn't missed a beat, so-to-speak, while serving in the Army. It is a great lead in to a magnificent album. Elvis' voice sounds good, the arrangement is perfect for Elvis as well.

To the point raised by Greystoke, it is too bad Elvis didn't do more work with Chet Atkins. Along with being a terrific musician, Atkins was also a respected record producer and song writer. His influence of Elvis' return to recording could have made a great impact throughout the sixties.

rlj
I believe Chet Atkins was a good producer, but not a fan of rock' roll. He directed the sessions well (in a stern and laid back manner), But grew tired of the all night sessions*, and brought a student (of his), to replace him that was as young as Elvis, and knew that he would connect better with him. Come Felton Jarvis 1966.


*There are reports Elvis was not amused (to put it mildly), of seeing Chet asleep during a session. "Do not yawn" comes to mind! LOL...

My opinion is that Chet bored Elvis and saw him as old guard, not as a peer.


Like Darth Vader as apprentice to Obi Wan with none of the remdemption at the end. Atkins will long be remembered; Felton who?


Felton who? It's that guy that you have been talking about in those 500 posts of yours...

Re: "Make Me Know It"!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Even though the 45 EP market in the US was diminishing, I think had this LP also been available in 3 EPs, it may have driven a few of the songs into the top 20, thereby boosting the initial sales of the LP itself.

Elvis Is Back volume 1:
Fever
It Feels So Right
Like A Baby
Reconsider Baby

Elvis Is Back volume 2:
Such A Night
Make Me Know It
The Girl Of My Best Friend
Thrill Of Your Love

Elvis is STILL back:
Soldier Boy
I Will Be Home Again
The Girl Next Door
Dirty, Dirty Feeling