Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thoughts on FTD Vinyl Releases

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Does anyone know the press run on these. Some of the packaging is beautifully done, but I only tend to buy those that have totally different sleeves to the original release. The forthcoming SFE has a much better photo than the original. I was disappointed with the quality of the front photo on Pot Luck with the blown out highlight on Elvis forehead from the flash used. Was this a quality control issue on behalf of FTD. Can't believe the photographer was happy with it.
So has anyone got personal thoughts on these vinyl releases. Could they be improved etc. just food for thought topic I guess.

Re: Thoughts on FTD Vinyl Releases

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:30 pm

I only have two FTD vinyl releases. Viva Las Vegas and Standing Room Only. I got those to somehow fill some imaginary gaps in my LP collection, and to get those two unreleased tracks on the Viva Las Vegas LP. Beautiful packages and nice covers. Especially the alternate Viva Las Vegas front cover. But, each package included one side of the records with a scratch on the opening track. Brand new albums, opening with a loud scratch. Since most of the FTD vinyl releases mostly contained alternate versions already available I steer clear of them. But, if they had contained some unreleased material I might have reconsidered. But, they are beautiful packages, that's for sure! :)

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:36 am

Yes they need to master from analogue tapes not cd masters.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:21 am

That's strange as the sleeve notes in my Pot luck album says mastered from US analogue tapes, so I assume they all are.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:26 am

I collect mainly vinyl, so I purchase all of them. I started late, my first one was the Viva Las Vegas one. I have since managed to get a copy of the all the others except for "Good Times". I wish they would return to the nice inner sleeves they used to made. I also wish shop Elvis would learn to pack them correctly. I have had to return a few because they have arrived damaged. But in saying that, the last two actually shipped nicely, no problems, hping they have made a change, and not just luck on my end.
So if anyone out there happens to have a copy of "Good Times" they would like to get rid of , drop me a line :lol:

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:35 am

murph1031 wrote:I collect mainly vinyl, so I purchase all of them. I started late, my first one was the Viva Las Vegas one. I have since managed to get a copy of the all the others except for "Good Times". I wish they would return to the nice inner sleeves they used to made. I also wish shop Elvis would learn to pack them correctly. I have had to return a few because they have arrived damaged. But in saying that, the last two actually shipped nicely, no problems, hping they have made a change, and not just luck on my end.
So if anyone out there happens to have a copy of "Good Times" they would like to get rid of , drop me a line :lol:

would you believe i got a mint condition ''Good Times'' FTD LP for 31 USD only like half a year ago?

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:03 am

murph1031 wrote:I collect mainly vinyl, so I purchase all of them. I started late, my first one was the Viva Las Vegas one. I have since managed to get a copy of the all the others except for "Good Times". I wish they would return to the nice inner sleeves they used to made. I also wish shop Elvis would learn to pack them correctly. I have had to return a few because they have arrived damaged. But in saying that, the last two actually shipped nicely, no problems, hping they have made a change, and not just luck on my end.

Love them too. Just got BACK IN MEMPHIS American Sessions 2 and it's fantastic! A great companion to the excellent FEIM 2-LP American Sessions >
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415228589.685738.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:16 am

I wanted the Blue Hawaii one but apparently it's been deleted. I'd only go for studio ones - not live recordings of shows.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:31 am

emjel wrote:I wanted the Blue Hawaii one but apparently it's been deleted. I'd only go for studio ones - not live recordings of shows.

Maybe you can find it somewhere? Love the Memphis recordings on vinyl -->>
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415230287.244976.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:01 pm

by the way , where can i see all the FTDs that released on Vinyl ?
Thank you friends

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:28 pm

california boy wrote:by the way , where can i see all the FTDs that released on Vinyl ?
Thank you friends

http://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/index ... ory_id=499

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Here is the best site about FTD vinyl releases:

http://www.elvisonrecords.com/ftd_vinyl.html

:smt006

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:56 pm

svallen wrote:Here is the best site about FTD vinyl releases:

Nice to see the inside layouts etc. a real shame that FTD stopped putting further artwork on the inner sleeves, resorting to bags that explained how to look after your records. Does anyone know the print runs on these sets. If you buy them, why? Do you think the sound is better than CD counterparts. Are you happy with the overall presentation. Is there anything you think FTD should add to give better value for money and encourage more sales. Or do you think the concept has reached a plateau and whatever they did, the current price makes the purchase non viable.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:12 am

emjel wrote:

Nice to see the inside layouts etc. a real shame that FTD stopped putting further artwork on the inner sleeves, resorting to bags that explained how to look after your records. Does anyone know the print runs on these sets. If you buy them, why? Do you think the sound is better than CD counterparts. Are you happy with the overall presentation. Is there anything you think FTD should add to give better value for money and encourage more sales. Or do you think the concept has reached a plateau and whatever they did, the current price makes the purchase non viable.

I do miss the inner cardboard sleeves but the poly bags do offer vinyl protection. Besides they are gatefold and very nice too.

I buy them for the whole vinyl experience: bigger artwork, gatefold elements with info, the act of placing the vinyl LP and dropping the needle, and the sound. I don't subscribe to the 'there not analogue' and sourced digitally, maybe they are? However one things for sure they sound mighty fine to me.

More: In regard to the FTD vinyls they usually include the best of the CD versions > the ELVIS: BACK IN MEMPHIS FTD 2-LP a fine case in point. And I MUST tell you it is one solid release.

Maybe a booklet would be a nice addition but for the money we pay, they're still Fantastic!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415315482.810408.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415315549.722732.jpg

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:28 am

sweetangeline wrote:
california boy wrote:by the way , where can i see all the FTDs that released on Vinyl ?
Thank you friends

http://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/index ... ory_id=499

Thank you very much :)

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:29 am

Thank you too Svallen, i appreciate it

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:56 am

I have them all but I have to say I have not paid full price for any of them. I have found you can pick them up cheap a few months after release. The albums are terrific, well packaged with mostly decent artwork. I do miss the printed inner sleeves which stopped a while back. The only frustrating thing with them is that the releases are a bit random and the price is 15 euro too high. Other than that being a vinyl freak...I need it man I need it

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:54 am

This needs to be done on all Ftd Elvis reissues.What they did with the new Beatles mono reissues.
THE BEATLES’ ORIGINAL MONO STUDIO ALBUMS REMASTERED AT ABBEY ROAD DIRECTLY FROM THE ANALOGUE MASTERS FOR VINYL RELEASE. 180-Gram LPs

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:11 am

ttwii wrote:I have them all but I have to say I have not paid full price for any of them. I have found you can pick them up cheap a few months after release. The albums are terrific, well packaged with mostly decent artwork. I do miss the printed inner sleeves which stopped a while back. The only frustrating thing with them is that the releases are a bit random and the price is 15 euro too high. Other than that being a vinyl freak...I need it man I need it

+ 1
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:11 am

ttwii wrote:I have them all but I have to say I have not paid full price for any of them. I have found you can pick them up cheap a few months after release. The albums are terrific, well packaged with mostly decent artwork. I do miss the printed inner sleeves which stopped a while back. The only frustrating thing with them is that the releases are a bit random and the price is 15 euro too high. Other than that being a vinyl freak...I need it man I need it

+ 1 I love 'em!

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:01 pm

The FTD vinyl is NOT mastered from analogue tapes but from CD. I got this info directly from Ernst.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Mike DK wrote:The FTD vinyl is NOT mastered from analogue tapes but from CD. I got this info directly from Ernst.

That's right but it doesn't spoil the enjoyment for me one iota.

Posters keep on about that fact but what am I missing because they sound great to me > and I'm particular about sound...?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:54 pm

We audiophiles don't want a cd used for a record.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:31 pm

ritchie valens wrote:We audiophiles don't want a cd used for a record.

Ok but can you point me to the analogue vinyl versions of the outtakes.

The FTDs vinyls are all we're going to get and there not going to come around anytime soon...

Grab 'em and enjoy them!!

'The moment we're living is now'

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:39 pm

I love ftd vinyls. for nearly the same reason as @a mess of polk salad. Altough my goal is to get at least the ones that have those wonderful glossy inner sleeves. Rather then the more dull ones (Paper sleeves)