Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Do you have a rare Elvis record? Show it to us, please!

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Fantastic! Keep them coming! I never dreamed of this when I started this thread a couple of years ago! :D

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Tony.. wrote:I found this recently by chance. I thought it might be a bootleg, but it is not mentioned in the "Bootleg Elvis" book. It is one sided. Does anyone have any information on this record please?!?
Elvis Speciality demo.jpg

This is a very intriguing record.

I've done some search, and this Specialty label (Olyphant, Pennsylvania) has no connection at all to the well-known Specialty label (Los Angeles, California), as REBL pointed out.

I've found the following link, where they clearly state "Manufacturer / pressing plant. This is NOT a Record Label!". Also, they list many records pressed by them (not the one by Elvis, unfortunately), and in the history section they seem to mix-up their info with the history of the LA Specialty label, as they say it was founded in 1946 (unless both labels were founded the same year !) :

http://www.discogs.com/label/Specialty%20Records%20Corporation

Anyway, there's a telling thing, and is the presence of a zip code in the address of the company shown in the label. According to Wikipedia, zip codes were first used in 1963, so this would give us some indications, too.

It would be interesting to learn more about the origins of this record. It's anyone's guess why "My Wish Came True", a relatively lesser known late 50s Elvis cut, should have to be pressed after 1963 on a record like this.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 am

Also check out thier History................. http://www.discogs.com/history?label=Specialty+Records+Corporation#latest

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Many, many thanks for the help and information about this mystery record. Wonderful. Here's a few clearer scans of it.
MY WISH 1.jpg

MY WISH 2.jpg

The run-out part of the record has a big 'S' plus the numbers DPE1-1008B and L-40697 etched onto it. It looks to have been quite well played. The B side label is blank with just the number 40697 stamped onto it.
MY WISH 4.jpg

And at least they spelt Elvis' name correctly, unlike the person who wrote on this UK demo back in 1959!!!!! (And who or why has the line 'demonstration sample not for sale' been scratched out?!?
MY WISH 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:15 am

I live close by to Specialty records and the plant has gone thru many changes over the years. It was most recently converted and used to manufacture CD & DVD formats. I believe now it is closed.

During the 60's it was used extensively by Capitol Records to manufacture vinyl by The Beatles. The mention of manufactured in Scranton, PA on Beatles LP's is a vague reference to the actual plant of Specialty Records in Olyphant, which is just outside of Scranton.

They also did specialty pressing for many labels and purposes but were always a really legit pressing plant. I find it difficult to believe that they were knowingly involved with any "counterfeit" productions.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 am

Greybeard wrote:I live close by to Specialty records and the plant has gone thru many changes over the years. It was most recently converted and used to manufacture CD & DVD formats. I believe now it is closed.

During the 60's it was used extensively by Capitol Records to manufacture vinyl by The Beatles. The mention of manufactured in Scranton, PA on Beatles LP's is a vague reference to the actual plant of Specialty Records in Olyphant, which is just outside of Scranton.

They also did specialty pressing for many labels and purposes but were always a really legit pressing plant. I find it difficult to believe that they were knowingly involved with any "counterfeit" productions.

Thanks, Greybeard !

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:16 am

-
Last edited by Mister Moon on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 am

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:35 am

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Image

NICE! That is a very hard record to get hold of.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:42 pm

-
Last edited by Mister Moon on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:33 am

Yes! Tony thanks ..... these seem to be boots; I have a few (6) RCA 45's from there. ... haven't seen the '78's before tho. NICE.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Here's a record I didnt know existed until 2 weeks ago ...... wasn't supposed to exist!

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:16 pm

http://www.windmill-records.co.uk/elvis-presley---japan---something-for-everybody-shp-5008-living-stereo---orange-label-41835-p.asp

Does anyone have any info on the above record. I just picked it up on ebay. I haven't seen this pressing before, and thought that the rare Japanese pressing would have been the one with the different cover?

Any info appreciated folks.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:30 am

This looks like a 1969 pressing .... Orange label '69 logo original came out in 1961 and probably would have been a black label.
Pic of '61 cover price is 475 british pounds.
https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/image.php?mode=detailed&object_id=17396&image_id=35342&window=popup

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:37 pm

REBL wrote:This looks like a 1969 pressing .... Orange label '69 logo original came out in 1961 and probably would have been a black label.
Pic of '61 cover price is 475 british pounds.
https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/image.php?mode=detailed&object_id=17396&image_id=35342&window=popup

Thanks, I did a bit of research via google, and this also dated the album at 1969. I knew it was a re-issue, hence the US cover art and the orange label, but the cover style is quite dated with the envelope style fold overs on the back sleeve, so I was guessing that it wasn't a '70's pressing.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Here's a promo copy of the Spanish double album set "Para Los Fans Espanoles".
PARA LOS PROMO 2.jpg

PARA LOS PROMO.jpg

PARA LOS PROMO 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Hard to find in decent condition of German pressing RCA 47-9314 O Sole Mio/Make me Know It 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Hard to find in decent condition of German pressing RCA 47-9314 O Sole Mio/Make me Know It 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Yeah, you're right. I got two copies of it - one in family possession since 1960 but both of 'em have been almost played to death.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:25 am

Last edited by REBL on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:22 am

This is kind of rare, particularly from a CD perspective as no pressing ever replicated the exact LP/Tape track listing. This was my second LP (after my introductory LP Elvis Sings Hits From His Movies Vol 1). It was heavily advertised on TV in 1982 here is Australia and its all I wanted for Christmas (other than my two front teeth) as a 9 year old. I don't have the TV ad but I do remember it: it began with images and wedding footage, with the announcer asking the TV audience "Can you believe its been five years since the King left us"? I recall it achieved a top five chart placing too (when our population was under 14 million).
Anyway, a special compilation for me on the RCA Starcall label. Pressed in Sydney, distributed in Australia and New Zealand (no, it didn''t come with gum boots that held their sheep in by the hind legs as they pushed from behind near a steep cliff, did it, Allan?). I think it came out on RCA Victor on the tan label later on, but without the liner note inserts. It was a magical and mystical album for this 9 year old. It locked me in as a Presley convert, and the playlist order still overrides mentally other sequencing for me. It was compiled by the long lost Elvis Presley Memorial Fan Club of (Waverley) NSW and RCA Australia's Peter L. Harding (who did the 1975 liner notes on Elvis In The "70s too)'. Anyway, enjoy, and apologies for the lousy photos and spare bed doona cover, but crap happens and I don't have a bigger scanner.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:42 pm

I guess that was Australia's version of the UK's "40 Greatest" double LP set.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:... I think it came out on RCA Victor on the tan label later on

RCA STARCALL Green is the best-selling edition (1982).

There was a fan-club issue on STARCALL label before (1982 also). The cover is the same.:

The RCA STARCALL reissue on black label (I guess) was in 1987. (same cover, not laminated)
Last edited by Laser- Freak on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks Laser Freak, never known that label. The things you learn!

If anyone has the TV ad, I'd be very grateful if you could post it here (or a link to it).

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Has anyone noticed that other labels that released Elvis albums (ie, Starcall and Arcade) BOTH contain the letters RCA in them!!! StaRCAll aRCAde. Spooky.